Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Arcadia - A Post Apocalyptic Shanty Amidst the Desert Sun

Comments

• AmaterasuChanAmaterasuChan Posts: 310 Member
    edited July 2012
    Gee, that looks amazing. Good job. :D
  • MatpengMatpeng Posts: 155 Member
    edited August 2012
    It's a beautiful world !

I've started to test it : the rabbit holes aren't approachable by the Sims. They can move on the Mine Lot, but they can't enter in the Rabbit Holes.

The houses are very well-maid, and I think it's a very nice world !
    Congratulations.
    NATASHA_zpstbj4jzku.jpg
  • Money1000125Money1000125 Posts: 236 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Well, after a small break from this project and some time to cool off, I'm coming back to finish what I started. The news about season's somewhat scares me, having winters and all could be problematic. but why not say "What the hey?" and call the, Nuclear Winters! (Now you can see why I put a chimney in each house). I also have been messing around with CAW with some other projects I've been working on, but haven't released. Don't know how i could have possibly missed distant terrain. As I'm also a bit more skilled with recoloring skies and changing the brightness of objects, that should come in handy. I'm still nervous about the roads, and not really all to interested with horses. But I'll keep at this world until it's something I'm proud to play. Also, I've decided to change the rabbithole's functionality into the form of rabbithole rugs, which will require a downloadable mod. I'm sorry for this, but this allows me to redo the vault the way I see more fit for this world. I won't be using custom content aside from the rugs, but I will be looking into a way to recolor fog emitters into a dusty... dust. Thank you everyone who's been helpful thus far!

EDIT: is there a way to change how lights work at night? it seems that the lights from lots extend to the borders, but don't really affect much outside their own space. I would like for the lots to be seamless, and nighttime ruins this.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited August 2012
    NO, and it's a very sore subject for a lot of builders as it looks ridiculous for the lights to not extend off the lot.

Hey weather won't necessarily affect your town - from the chat I understand you can set weather per town however you want it - so say you want the hot, dreary look - you could set it to just summer and fall. Also each ep is known to give us new affects so you might find something useful in at least the SN ep that might help with the eerie dustiness you are hoping for - seeing SN comes with a world, Seasons doesn't.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• kbr526kbr526 Posts: 21
    edited August 2012
    Um, I'm sorry, but I have to ask. I saw this on the first page and the name got me. Was the name taken from Resident Evil?
  • MoriGelopiMoriGelopi Posts: 779 Member
    edited August 2012
    Downloaded and uploading for testing.
    edited August 2012
    You're not forced to use rugs ! Rabbit Holes aren't accessible because the undergroud is to small. :-)

I've recreated the underground in my game, with Lunar Lakes' rabbit holes, and it's going very well ! It's a pity that use mods for a little problem like that ! :shock: :oops:

If you're OK, I can put it on the Exchange ?
    NATASHA_zpstbj4jzku.jpg
    edited August 2012
    I had a little play with this world! And I love it! It seems like a very small settlement in a very vast landscape. I like it. The lack of roads hasn't really bothered me in this. But I shall see when I play with it more. I like the touches in the homes with the pets items. My sim has already picked up a stray dog and a bird. God knows what else she will pick up.

The cesspool is swimmable and fun. I like the unfillable hole in the graveyard. That was an interesting touch ready for SN. I have Mori's adventure of her first day on my new blog in the link in my signature.

EDIT:

I have not tried the rabbit holes but as I have work soon, I will try those later, and get back to you. I have also planted a few other families to see what the story progression is like with it and see if families can survive with out roads for a while.
    edited August 2012
    Oh one little glitch I found when trying to fish on the little beach.. you can't. It doesn't allow me too.
    edited August 2012
    Well this looks like a number of posts to reply to! I did manage to come across the Lighting parameters of Lucky Palms (even though i don't own it) and I LOVE how the Arizona lighting is, works perfectly! I added a heatshimmer effect, am stumped on how to apply it only during the day. I found a few threads rattling off the topic, but no success. Arcadia... was derived from Resident Evil (cuz RE is awesome). If the lot with the rabbitholes could be uploaded to the exchange with a link to it, that'd be very awesome, because the rabbithole rugs are giving me some headaches, and I'd prefer not to use them. I can say this world is beginning to look a lot better with the changes I've been adding. I'm planning to have it done by August 19th (when I set of for College and will have VERY LITTLE time to work on projects like these). So supernatural's cool effects could be delayed. I also really want to get rid of rabbithole rugs because of scripts being rewritten with the patches. And for the beach, it's a problem with how the lot has been placed. Lots over water treat water not as water, but I believe I've found a solution to this which I'll include in the next testing version.

MOST IMPORTANTLY
    Some of these lots seem to be having seizures. In the sense that they turn completely white, have no meshes, and only turn back to normal when loaded. It's a graphic glitch I'm unwilling to compromise with. Fences (even the ones you walk over) are turning into 2d white-stoneish walls. It looks like a paper house. I figured that saving the lot, deleting it, and replacing it seems to work. I'm just afraid for when new lots do this.

As of right now, I'm in the middle of figuring out this darned fly-over. I want it to follow the path of a nuke going down the ripped valley, then panning to an overlook of the city.

P.S. if there is a way to create an image when loading the world, not having to see the sunset valley lighthouse. I've read how this would involve a process of exporting different then CAW uses, but will still need to look into this. I also found a solution to the transparent water effects, and created a thread about it here - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=3928023&posted=1#post3928023
    edited August 2012
    Ok, I'm going to post the Rabbit holes' lot, this evening or tomorrow. I saw you don't have lunar lakes so I'm going to use other rabbit holes. :lol:

See you soon, Matpeng !
    NATASHA_zpstbj4jzku.jpg
    edited August 2012
    Oh, Lunar Lake's portal rabbitholes would be amazing for this, if only i could scrounge together $25 for the simpoints. But that's for another day once I finish stocking up on Ramen and frozen poptarts.
    edited August 2012
    Hello !

I've posted the "remake" of the Vaukt 102 ! I have to delete the rocks and the first door, because they prevent sims to enter in the underground. I've also changed the garage door, because anyone can enter by that type of door.

You can dowload and modify it, if you want. I think the lot was more beautiful with the mount of rocks, but I' have to delte it. :cry:.

See you later, Matpeng
    NATASHA_zpstbj4jzku.jpg
    edited August 2012
    i think i'll download it and take your ideas into play. I'll have to change some of the rocks since sims just can't seem to get past a set of stairs. I honestly don't even want rabbitholes in this world, the sims don't even use them without roads. I'll read-up on which rabbitholes are absolutely necessary, (the town hall for twallan's mods perhaps?) but i believe a lot of these can be avoided with testingcheatsenabled true, and other means. I've considered changing the vault into a hangout, or possibly residential lot which functions similar to anapartment, and having multiple levels of basements (with the possibly rabbithole)
    edited August 2012
    New world is up and ready for testers! I already know the beach doesn't work,(just fish on the part of water outside of lot for now) If you happen to have a fly-over, please let me know, i included the ini file for this, but i couldn't seem to get it working in my game.
    edited August 2012
    No posts in a day? Guessing no one saw this even though my file had 5 downloads. Anyways, The new version is up. Main things in this one are some adjustments to sunrise and sunset, a camera fly-over (Still working on it, but good enough for testing), renames of all the household names (last names bother me), some adjustments to house interiors such as lighting and ventilation (i actually forgot some in a few), and two new households added. Both of them are the same occult, but they have a very different feel when playing them. The 8019's are rusting buckets of bolts, while the 8020's are your typical android. For those of you who don't know what an android is, it's a robot that looks like a human. Think terminator. I feel these two households add the futurism to the town, while still keeping it post-apocalyptic. The androids walk a little funny, but I'm not concerned with that. It's also always fun seeing a jock and cheerleader spurt fire from their feet and spin their torsos to smash bathtubs. (They won't need them). I also fixed a large gaping hole on the Vault 102 which I honestly did not know how i could have missed that. The world is nearing completion, and I ask for your input on what needs being fixed. Thanks in advance, and Enjoy!
    edited August 2012
    Well it's 4:00am where i'm living (Oh where did the time go? I could have sworn it was just 9:00pm. I guess having Dodgeball run on my TV four times in a row makes sense now (my cable box is broken). I tell you, I've probably watched that movie at least two-hundred times this past month (I don't like stillness, my poor xbox has been running for a month straight.) But anyways, some more progress on the world (and a sort of fourth bump in a row, I know you're out there, just leave a comment so i don't feel lonely). I added plenty of pictures to the front page, play-tested and found very few problems (learned that Kate 8020 doesn't like the cess pool. Needless to say she short-fused. Her husband came to the rescue... 8 hours later. Even more intestesting, the other hydrophobic robots decided it would be SUCH A GREAT IDEA to jump into the cess pool too. I leave them alone for an hour, and then I had four short-fused robots and a batty old grannie skinny duipping. (the horror?) What bothered me was that the weather changed (I haven't worked on the weather patterns yet). The clouds moved as if the game was in >>> mode, but I was still chiping away at > mode. This is really odd since I used the .ini files from Lucky Palms. I only edited a few things such as the wall tops, fly-over, and sun patterns. I'll look into this after a good amount of five hours sleep (Yay for limitless energy from ADHD, boo for having to sit still for two hours before falling asleep). I really hope to find someone else post a comment (even a simple "nice" would suffice.) I almost considered telling you "Hey, that rhymed", so I am obviously beyond tired and need to head off for the night... well.. morning. Peace.
  • WildeatheartWildeatheart Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited August 2012
    Great work :) Love the robot names, just wish I could run Pets and WA because it was either them or Supernatural and Seasons. So are the 8019s the Simbot like robots and 8020s the Sim like robots?
    tumblr_static_b95t53zz25sskgcso8s48cksw.jpg
    edited August 2012
    I would also prefer seasons over WA, but pets is pretty cool too. And yes, the 8020's are the sim-like robots (Had to use Twallan's master controller to edit them in CAS, sim-bots can't be done with testing cheats alone. But don't worry, you won't need this mod to play them world.) They sim-like robots walk a little funny, hand rotating and bodies spinning, but i think it's more cool than it is weird.
  • KatluckieKatluckie Posts: 48 New Member
    edited August 2012
    Downloading this world right now. Going to try it out! I love unique worlds like this... also good for the Apocalypse Challenge. I also love the idea of the underground rabbitholes... can't wait :)
    edited August 2012
    I actually don't know the apocalypse challenge rules, My goal in making this was making a world of inventors, sculptors, artists, and all consignment store haberdashery. I also wanted to walk down a road and see my neighbors outside working on their projects, yell "Hey Pete!" and walk on by. I made a venue, and some rabbitholes since people really wanted them. I personally just delete the rabbitholes, and am going to remake the lot as a separate download as something else for others who don't like rabbitholes, but do like using all the lots. Also, the underground lots was not my idea to begin with, It's something that has been circulatin for some time now. I'm not sure of the original creator, but the idea is genius for those who don't like rabbithole rugs and the problems they create.
  • KatluckieKatluckie Posts: 48 New Member
    edited August 2012
    The Apocalypse challenge sort of begins with the story you've created in this world... it's a neat challenge.

I love the style of the world... the buildings are very interesting to look at, and the sims also. I had a welcome wagon come in... and I remembered how much I love evil sims! Hahah...

The underground rabbitholes are a pretty genius idea I must agree! I was kind of taken aback at the white walls underground though when I first saw it, but now that I think about it, it does make sense given the story.

Anyway, good job with it :) I'm happy to say this will be the starting town of my new legacy... I will also keep an eye out for little things to fix for you.
  • timecatchertimecatcher Posts: 387 Member
    edited August 2012
    Wow...!!!

Just wow!

Really awesome world here, I read the whole post and the tour hah I never read that much! Great work! I will look at getting this world for sure, might wait till its fully released though. ;)

Keep it up!
    edited August 2012
    Added a link to a new lot, the Vault 102 residential lot. The world installs with the rabbithole Vault, but i personally don't prefer them. I like this one since it's a lot more detailed, and all of the service sims live want to live here. (Good since they have clean clothes). It's somewhat expensive, but beautifully high-tech and cutting edge technology under the sands.

Some Images!

The same Good Old Vault Enterance on the outside....
    Screenshot-2-1.jpg

But a new, sleek and high-tech interior!
    Screenshot-30.jpg

Here is an overview of the basement, I'm currently trying to find a way to Un-darken the NPC rooms during gameplay (possibly testing cheats restrictions?) The rooms may not have much, but other parts of the Vault are open to the public such as amazingly huge televisions (Showtime size), a cafeteria, and the Overseer's Old Office.
    Screenshot-7.jpg

The link is on the Front Page
    edited August 2012
    Well now i am sad. After almost being ready to upload the newest version (and quite possibly penultimate) I learned that the Vault 102 Residential remake... Didn't save all of the rocks with it. Guess I have some more work to do...