Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cats and Dogs Ep - Changes to Minimum system requirements

Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
Looks like you will need 4GB of Ram now instead of 2GB and if you have Windows 7 you can only play with 64bit OS version instead of 32bit.

Post edited by Simsfan99111 on

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    4 GB ram is on the low side. Nowadays, the standard is 8GB with 16GB becoming the next standard really soon. It's even pretty common to see people with 32GB gaming machines, which is starting to trickle down to the average consumer.

Nobody should really be using Windows 7 now, either. It was a great OS for the time, but Windows 10, even with its annoyances, provides way better functionality, security, and performance.
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    4 GB ram is on the low side. Nowadays, the standard is 8GB with 16GB becoming the next standard really soon. It's even pretty common to see people with 32GB gaming machines, which is starting to trickle down to the average consumer.

Nobody should really be using Windows 7 now, either. It was a great OS for the time, but Windows 10, even with its annoyances, provides way better functionality, security, and performance.

I agree, i only have 8GB of ram and to be fair my pc is old i got it in 2011 and have modified it to the max that i can. I will be getting a new one early next year and im going to opt for 32GB.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    um whatever. Sims 2 was awesome and they went from cd rom to dvd rom. I had to buy a new computer to buy the newer packs back then. And it was a successful game, still.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Okto84Okto84 Posts: 198 Member
    Sounds good! 32bit computers have lots of limitations compared to 64bit, so to retain compatibility with them, the games are smaller and have less content. 64bit processors hit the consumer market at least ten years ago, so they're commonplace now and I want to see more games using them.
  • poisonedsodapoppoisonedsodapop Posts: 1,179 Member
    Typically 4GB of RAM means you are on a 64bit system anyways, hence the change. Interested to see what the new RAM usage means.
    Hoping some day for some toddlers. But also dreading they'll never come. JK THEY ARE HERE!
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    I have a question:

Let's imagine hypothetically in the future they up the requirements to 8GB of RAM - I have 8GB of RAM, 4GB of which are dedicated to my graphics card - if they did this would I still be able to play the game?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    I have a question:

Let's imagine hypothetically in the future they up the requirements to 8GB of RAM - I have 8GB of RAM, 4GB of which are dedicated to my graphics card - if they did this would I still be able to play the game?

Yes, you would - they can't increase the requirements for already released material - but not the add-ons that had the new requirements.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I have a question:

Yes, you would - they can't increase the requirements for already released material - but not the add-ons that had the new requirements.

OK, thanks, but in this hypothetical scenario, would I, with my specs be able to play new, future, more demanding content?
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    I have a question:

OK, thanks, but in this hypothetical scenario, would I, with my specs be able to play new, future, more demanding content?

You need the specs for whatever add-on you're getting. Sims isn't the only game in which sometimes an add-on has higher specs than the rest. No idea if future add-ons will all have Sims 4 Cats & Dogs specs, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Seasons type pack does. There's a lot of background stuff happening there on top of what we already have that would be a real drain on a lower-level system.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I have a question:

You need the specs for whatever add-on you're getting. Sims isn't the only game in which sometimes an add-on has higher specs than the rest. No idea if future add-ons will all have Sims 4 Cats & Dogs specs, but I wouldn't be surprised if a Seasons type pack does. There's a lot of background stuff happening there on top of what we already have that would be a real drain on a lower-level system.

I see. Thanks for the info. :)
    Ive got a feeling that if we get seasons they will up the requirements a tad again.
    Ive got a feeling that if we get seasons they will up the requirements a tad again.

This is what concerns me.
  • reanseihreanseih Posts: 265 Member
    The problem I have is, despite me going way over the specs my game doesn’t run all that fast. 20fps at most.

I’m on the newest 13” MBP... Fully upgraded.
    青天白日滿地紅 Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth
    The Sims 4 Gallery
    The Sims 4 Showcase
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    I had no idea the system requirements were so low. Just... wow.
    wJbomAo.png
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    edited August 2017
    reanseih wrote: »
    The problem I have is, despite me going way over the specs my game doesn’t run all that fast. 20fps at most.

You cannot have a 13" MBP and "way over the specs" at the same time. Technically the base game's recommended specs include a quad-core i5 (all 13" MBP are dual cores; only 15" have quad cores) and a dedicated graphics cards (no models of 13" MBP have dedicated graphics; only 15" do).
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Is there anyone in this world with less than 4 gigs of RAM? I myself have at least 8 or is it 12? Even I don't know! :bawling:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    Not only that, but RAM is one of the easiest things to upgrade on a desktop PC. It's also possible to upgrade it on laptops. Not that pricey either
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @elelunicy wrote: »
    reanseih wrote: »

You cannot have a 13" MBP and "way over the specs" at the same time. Technically the base game's recommended specs include a quad-core i5 (all 13" MBP are dual cores; only 15" have quad cores) and a dedicated graphics cards (no models of 13" MBP have dedicated graphics; only 15" do).

Pretty much. The new MBP's are terrible for gaming anyway and I believe are still outpeformed by the 17: MBP from 2011.
  • SunsetSimsPrimeSunsetSimsPrime Posts: 77 Member
    Is there anyone in this world with less than 4 gigs of RAM? I myself have at least 8 or is it 12? Even I don't know! :bawling:

I have 4 gig but a 32bit computer. Not everybody uses the dollar, gaming and computers are expensive in my country. Next time when I get a new computer I will have get a 64bit it is going to cost me double to do so, if not more because of the exchange rate. I'm certainly not upgrading for S4.

Anyways cats and dogs was going to be the last expansion pack I was buying for this game, this year I've added more content into my game and noticed a real reduction in quality with game play concerning AI etc. However if the new minimum requirements didn't eliminate it the non controllable pets did. Having the pets in S2 ignore their needs annoyed me enough, I wouldn't pay more for that experience.
    So long as there are no changes to the graphics requirements I should be OK. I'm on a NVidia 630M card with 4GB dedicated RAM - I know that's outdated and not ideal, but I can play the game fine - I use mostly the recommended settings - almost everything on medium but I can play it with everything on high/ultra though I don't because I don't want to place excess demand on my graphics.
    So long as there are no changes to the graphics requirements I should be OK. I'm on a NVidia 630M card with 4GB dedicated RAM - I know that's outdated and not ideal, but I can play the game fine - I use mostly the recommended settings - almost everything on medium but I can play it with everything on high/ultra though I don't because I don't want to place excess demand on my graphics.

Im the same, i have a gtx 750TI and i can max out on ultra (minus lighting which is recommended through nvidia geforce experience to be set to medium) but i play on high.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    To be fair, they've really only updated to minimum requirements to be in the vein of "mid-range 2010 gaming PC". It isn't like The Sims 4 is suddenly requiring 32GB DDR4 and a GTX Titan X OC.
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    To be fair, they've really only updated to minimum requirements to be in the vein of "mid-range 2010 gaming PC". It isn't like The Sims 4 is suddenly requiring 32GB DDR4 and a GTX Titan X OC.

True, and I really like that. So many games these days seem to have (IMO) crazy-high system requirements, just one of the reasons I love this game is because you can play it fairly well without a brand new high spec PC.
    OEII1001 wrote: »

True, and I really like that. So many games these days seem to have (IMO) crazy-high system requirements, just one of the reasons I love this game is because you can play it fairly well without a brand new high spec PC.

I agree! Its one of the best sims games in terms of performance we have ever had.