Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Really strange CAS glitches preventing me from playing

My game runs fine except in CAS. It works smoothly for a few minutes, but then I start experiencing really weird glitches. My sims turn weird colors, buttons disappear making it almost unusable, sometimes the screen freezes and looks like a kaliedoscope, it's just weird. I've tried reinstalling, making a new "the sims 3" folder, nothing is working. Has this happened to anyone else?

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Intel Iris graphics?
    apple-signature.png
  • crazycrackers1crazycrackers1 Posts: 7 New Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm not sure how to check. I have a Macbook air. I've played the game for months with no problems, and suddenly I just can't get it to work.
    UPDATE: Just checked my computer specs and have an "integrated" Intel HD Graphics 5000 graphics processor
    That's good, no Intel Iris card.

Does this happen when you pull your Sims 3 folder onto the desktop and let the game generate a new one?
    apple-signature.png
  • crazycrackers1crazycrackers1 Posts: 7 New Member
    Yes, I have tried that a few times and the same things are still happening.
    Ok. And you hadn't added back in any CC, saves etc?

Have you recently installed an EP/SP?
    apple-signature.png
  • AisforAnnaAisforAnna Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm having the exact same issue. I've uninstalled everything and reinstalled and my sims keeps "unexpectedly" crashing and then freezes forever whenever I'm in CAS. Also--I had everything running smoothly and then an hour into it everything turned green/red and the sims started disappearing in their little boxes on the side.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Have you been purging your RAM?
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • sadcat16sadcat16 Posts: 1 New Member
    I am having the EXACT problem! :( Even after purging RAM...

I used to be able to play the Sims 3 + all my expansion packs for hours on my old macbook air, no problem. But I got a new macbook (air) sometime last month .... reinstalled everything .... and started having these weird CAS problems! I can't even get through making one Sim without the game going nuts and crashing :(

-- I tried playing without any custom content.
    -- I tried purging RAM.
    Because your new MacBook Air probably has Intel 5000 graphics which isn't officially supported. Although some Mac users with these graphics can and do get their games to work.

When you took out your CC did you delete the cache files before playing? Move out your Sims 3 folder and let the game generate a new one.
    apple-signature.png
  • Mare41Mare41 Posts: 1 New Member
    So, BluebellFlora, what should we do if we are experiencing this problem and we DO have the Intel Iris card??
    Mare41 wrote: »
    So, BluebellFlora, what should we do if we are experiencing this problem and we DO have the Intel Iris card??

You can try the fix on this dedicated thread:

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/735231

It works for some.
    apple-signature.png
  • Ashlyn1014Ashlyn1014 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @crazycrackers1 said:
    > My game runs fine except in CAS. It works smoothly for a few minutes, but then I start experiencing really weird glitches. My sims turn weird colors, buttons disappear making it almost unusable, sometimes the screen freezes and looks like a kaliedoscope, it's just weird. I've tried reinstalling, making a new "the sims 3" folder, nothing is working. Has this happened to anyone else?

This is exactly what happens to my game. It just freezes in CAS and now I can't make any new households. I don't know how to fix it but I tried uninstalling all of my custom content and that didn't even help. Does anybody know how to fix this glitch. It got worse after Sims 4 came out.
    Ashlyn1014 wrote: »
    This is exactly what happens to my game. It just freezes in CAS and now I can't make any new households. I don't know how to fix it but I tried uninstalling all of my custom content and that didn't even help. Does anybody know how to fix this glitch. It got worse after Sims 4 came out.

It has nothing to do with The Sims 4, they're two completely separate games and TS4 runs significantly better than TS3 due to it running natively in OS X.

What Mac do you have?
    apple-signature.png
  • Buffy660Buffy660 Posts: 5 New Member
    My macbook air has the same problems. Buttons are disappearing and it makes my sims turn weird colors. I need to find a solution to this because I love playing the sims and I miss playing it normally. I've tried everything. So I hope someone can find a solution. :neutral:
    Buffy660 wrote: »
    My macbook air has the same problems. Buttons are disappearing and it makes my sims turn weird colors. I need to find a solution to this because I love playing the sims and I miss playing it normally. I've tried everything. So I hope someone can find a solution. :neutral:

Which model MacBook Air? The 2015 one?

apple-signature.png
    > @BluebellFlora said:
    > Buffy660 wrote: »
    >
    > My macbook air has the same problems. Buttons are disappearing and it makes my sims turn weird colors. I need to find a solution to this because I love playing the sims and I miss playing it normally. I've tried everything. So I hope someone can find a solution. :neutral:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Which model MacBook Air? The 2015 one?

Yes, I have the 2015 MacBook Air.
    ok @BluebellFlora Thank you for helping me. I really appreciate it. Hope this works!
    I've done EVERYTHING I could do. I guess the Sims 3 isn't meant for the MacBook Air. I have completely given up by now. I do want to thank everyone for trying to help me, though.