Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unable to start: Cannot start because the required game data is missing or damaged (SOLVED)

leckyloo320leckyloo320 Posts: 30 Member
edited December 2015 in Mods Bugs & Issues
Hello! I'm sure there has been a thread about this, but I've looked all around the internet for answers, and none of them seem to work. SO, I'm making my own thread. I go to Origin, go to My Games, then click play on The Sims 4, but it says this:

Unable to start:

Cannot start because the required game data is missing or damaged. Please try reinstalling the game.

[85262c58:29f00e76:00000000]

I thought it may be something in my CC, because I add new CC every day. I tried uninstalling the CC I had added from that day, but it didn't seem to work. Then, I tried emptying my cache, but that didn't seem to work either. I have never ever had this problem before, and I've been adding CC since the game came out. Does anyone know of a solution? I really don't want to have to lose my CC and start a new game!
Post edited by leckyloo320 on

Comments

• 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I would advise you to re-install. Sometimes files get corrupted (Bad CC can do that too (I think)) and the only way I know of is to re-install.
  • apieferapiefer Posts: 7 New Member
    This has also just happen to me. I tried to play my game after installing CC and that message came up. I uninstalled the content I added that day and it didn't work. I will try some things and keep you updated if I find a solution.
  • leckyloo320leckyloo320 Posts: 30 Member
    > @apiefer said:
    > This has also just happen to me. I tried to play my game after installing CC and that message came up. I uninstalled the content I added that day and it didn't work. I will try some things and keep you updated if I find a solution.

Thank you! I honestly don't know what it could be... I've just reinstalled the mods that I have for the game but that didn't work either!
    OKAY! So I finally found out which mod was making my game not work! I was looking around the internet some more, and I came across a forum (it won't let me post links since I'm new to the site). I was merely going through it, and was about to install something called the Ultimate Fix (don't actually install it), and someone was saying something about doing a thing called the Halving Method! It's where you make a separate folder on your desktop, go to your Mods folder, and just move half the items from the Mods folder to the empty folder on your desktop, and you just keep doing that until you find the mod that's messing up your game! It took me about 30-45 minutes since I have a lot of mods. Hope this helps!
  • dailywalkerdailywalker Posts: 4 New Member
    edited December 2014
    :\ I have tried everything I have read and I still get this error.
    I can load a vanilla game then I put the mods in it will play for a couple of times.
    So then I get the error again.
    I doubt reloading the game for the thousandth time will help this!
    I even renamed the mods folder with a small m not a capital M.
    75$ for a game that plays fine for 2 months then it wont play.
    Hey Gurus fix this error
    Error is 85262c58:29f00e76:00000000
    Oh I have owned and played the Sims games since they came out.
    If this was a bad mod I could have never gotten the game to play with my mods in at all.

I dont have that ultimate mod in my game mods folder.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I googled that error and is it caused by bad CC. Mostly the moles and freckles from TSR. Also some hair. You have to go back and get the new uncorrupted files. It could actually be any CC causing this error.

Quote from TSR ....
    "They look great but my game don't launch when I place this file in my game, I get a message :

you cannot run the game because the game data is lost or corrupted. try to reinstall the game [85262c58:29f00e76:00000000] \:confused\:
    Read more at http://www.thesimsresource.com/downloads/details/category/sims4-skintones/title/eye-bags-n1/id/1255545/#FIztMEclqw6sk2Ky.99"
  • dailywalkerdailywalker Posts: 4 New Member
    edited December 2014
    That didnt work. Blame it on bad content I guess is a catch all answer. Lets hope an update will solve this issue!

> @AnnLee87 said:
    > I googled that error and is it caused by bad CC. Mostly the moles and freckles from TSR. Also some hair. You have to go back and get the new uncorrupted files. It could actually be any CC causing this error.
    >
    > Quote from TSR ....
    > "They look great but my game don't launch when I place this file in my game, I get a message :
    >
    > you cannot run the game because the game data is lost or corrupted. try to reinstall the game [85262c58:29f00e76:00000000] \:confused\:
    > Read more at http Because I cant post links after buying and playing sims games for 14 years

Wait creators have finally figured out how to make something better than us now lets screw it up so no one can figure it out!

I have been able to play my game with content in but then I switch it off to go make something bam my game dont work when I didnt even put anything new into it.

This game runs without any CC in it. Then it stops when you put something in it?

I have done the one file at a time then run all the way up to having everything back it it then it quits working. So is the game corrupting my mods?
    Post edited by dailywalker on
    There is difference between custom content and mods. Mods change some aspect of the game or add something like a gardener etc. Mods effect how the game works.

Custom content is are things created by talented Simmers who either clone something and recolor it or create a whole new item like cloths, hair, freckles, furniture and etc.

There is some bad CC floating around and that error you having is related to CC. (I had bad hair and freckles screw up my game.) I don't know how to make CC or mods. I just know some may work just fine for someone and not work in for others.

I do not know how it gets corrupt. I recommend that you stop using CC until you research all your CC and find out which CC is causing the error.

Take it all out and do a repair on your game. Google each piece of CC you have and see if others have reported problems or it has been updated. (they fixed some bugs on Nov. 25th I think and that alone could have corrupted your CC.)

Everytime I download something I put the URL into a folder in my favorites on Chrome so I can keep track of where I got it.

I also back up my game before I add anything. This way I can put my working files back if something goes bonkers.
    Oops! I totally messed something up. When I say mod, I meant custom content. I only said mod because all of my custom content was in my Mods folder! So in actuality, the mod that was messing up my game WAS custom content! It is called the Lemingstone Modern Garden, and I figured out that one of the ottomans (I believe the first one) was the bad CC! So if any of you have that installed, just remove the ottoman and your game may be fine! Unless you have something else that's making the message come up.
    I am glad you found it! Happy Simming!
    I looked that up and under creator notes it says that the ottoman has been updated. It is safe now!
  • NeonCupcakes4AllNeonCupcakes4All Posts: 18 New Member
    I hade this problem to and it turned out it was my CC.
    So here I am now trying to figure put which of my 557 CC could be causing the issue.
    Wish me luck lol

What I did was I just made a file on my desktop and put all my mods into it. Around 10 by ten I'm dragging the mods in the mods folder and everytime I do trying to rin my game.

Good Luck!
  • NeonCupcakes4AllNeonCupcakes4All Posts: 18 New Member
    > @NeonCupcakes4All said:
    > I hade this problem to and it turned out it was my CC.
    > So here I am now trying to figure put which of my 557 CC could be causing the issue.
    > Wish me luck lol
    >
    > What I did was I just made a file on my desktop and put all my mods into it. Around 10 by ten I'm dragging the mods in the mods folder and everytime I do trying to rin my game.
    >
    > Good Luck!

I fixed it :)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    > @NeonCupcakes4All said:
    > I hade this problem to and it turned out it was my CC.
    > So here I am now trying to figure put which of my 557 CC could be causing the issue.
    > Wish me luck lol
    >
    > What I did was I just made a file on my desktop and put all my mods into it. Around 10 by ten I'm dragging the mods in the mods folder and everytime I do trying to rin my game.
    >
    > Good Luck!

I fixed it :)

I am glad that you found the cc that was causing the problem. :)
  • poisonivypoisonivy Posts: 293 Member
    I'm going through the same thing. I have over 5,000 cc. So it will take me some time. Good Luck everyone.
    Origin ID poisonivy15
    edited June 2015
    poisonivy wrote: »
    I'm going through the same thing. I have over 5,000 cc. So it will take me some time. Good Luck everyone.

Hello poisonivy .
    Because you have a lot of mods/cc, use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    If the game doesn't work with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing problems. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.

I hope that you are able to locate what is causing the problem.
  • gramanda126010gramanda126010 Posts: 288 Member
    edited June 2015
    To all having the above problem no need to do re- install try repair first. I had this problem I did repair now works fine
    rosemow wrote: »
    poisonivy wrote: »

Hello poisonivy .
    Because you have a lot of mods/cc, use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    If the game doesn't work with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing problems. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.

I hope that you are able to locate what is causing the problem.

Hi rosemow... Thank you for the info and I just started, so I have a while before I find the bad cc. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.
    Origin ID poisonivy15
    To all having the above problem no need to do re- install try repair first. I had this problem I did repair now works fine

I did try to repair my game and no luck. I hope you have a great weekend.
    Origin ID poisonivy15
  • LicoriceroxsLicoriceroxs Posts: 3 New Member
    I figured out my problems! It was my custom Content :( which sucks cause some of my female sims have my custom content hair and dresses
    Hello @Licoriceroxs. Were you able to work out which cc were causing the issues?
    Remove all your cc/mods, then put your mods/CC back into the mods folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the cause of the problem.
  • LicoriceroxsLicoriceroxs Posts: 3 New Member
    Hi rosemow, yes i was able to find out which ones were the problem! my game now works again!!!> @rosemow said:
    > Hello Licoriceroxs. Were you able to work out which cc were causing the issues?
    > Remove all your cc/mods, then put your mods/CC back into the mods folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the cause of the problem.
    Hi rosemow, yes i was able to find out which ones were the problem! my game now works again!!!> @rosemow said:
    > Hello Licoriceroxs. Were you able to work out which cc were causing the issues?
    > Remove all your cc/mods, then put your mods/CC back into the mods folder one by one or in batches and testing after each one to see which is the cause of the problem.

I am glad that your game is working again now :)
  • scientiamemoriascientiamemoria Posts: 2 New Member
    I just downloaded TS4 and added my very first CC (hairs) to the Mods folder. The error mentioned in this thread happened right away. No matter where the CC comes from, as long as there is CC in that Mods folder, I get this error. Is there something I need to do to enable CC in the game like with previous Sims game versions? I just find it odd that all CCs from many different websites (including ModtheSims) won't work :(
    I just downloaded TS4 and added my very first CC (hairs) to the Mods folder. The error mentioned in this thread happened right away. No matter where the CC comes from, as long as there is CC in that Mods folder, I get this error. Is there something I need to do to enable CC in the game like with previous Sims game versions? I just find it odd that all CCs from many different websites (including ModtheSims) won't work :(

Hello @scientiamemoria. This link refers to this error message.
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2015/02/cannot-start-because-required-game-data-is-missing-or-damaged/

Try moving your mods folder to the desktop. Then start the game and see if the error message is there. If it isn't and you can start the game, a new mods folder will be generated. Exit the game. Put one cc item into the new mods folder. Then start the game and see if the error message occurs again. If it does, then take it out and try with another cc item. Keep testing to see what cc is causing issues and what isn't.