Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Zoo U Course Six: All About Fog Emitters-- Guest Lecturer: SimEve!--See Post One

Comments

• priscapuppriscapup Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited September 2012
    *whines* I want the class to start noooow. :(

Ok, I guess I can play some Sims, and wait a bit. Will give time for more people to register for this great class! :thumbup:
  • ZooProfessor3ZooProfessor3 Posts: 9,847 Member
    edited September 2012
    i'm going to need to set a reminder as i've missed ALL previous classes...but, please Register Me!

DONE! Welcome to Zoo U!
    oow785m
    edited September 2012
    I'm getting excited... can hardly stand it. Think I'll have to go put on the shirt I made for Lissy's class. :shock: :mrgreen:
    edited September 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    I'm getting excited... can hardly stand it. Think I'll have to go put on the shirt I made for Lissy's class. :shock: :mrgreen:

Shirt? Do I know about this shirt?
    oow785m
    edited September 2012
    Oh, it went something like this:

Screenshot-6_zpse666894f.jpg"width=640""height=450"

:mrgreen: Oops, can I say that in here? :shock: :oops:

Here it is in Fairy format:

Screenshot-12_zps09a8317e.jpg"width=640""height=450"
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    edited September 2012
    LOL! Well, let's hope no one has an accident, but let's hope everyone signs up for the next class!
    oow785m
  • SimEveSimEve Posts: 4,772 Member
    edited September 2012
    Hahaha! Great shirt! :wink:
  • KaztompKaztomp Posts: 519 Member
    edited September 2012
    Hope I'm not too late :?: Register me please!

Have used a couple of SimEve's tips regarding FE's previously - Whoa!! Who knew there'd be SOOOO many different applications for those cute little green balls!! :lol:
    edited September 2012
    Kaztomp wrote:
    Hope I'm not too late :?: Register me please!

Have used a couple of SimEve's tips regarding FE's previously - Whoa!! Who knew there'd be SOOOO many different applications for those cute little green balls!! :lol:

You are in perfect time! I will add you to the class roster and Welcome to Zoo U!
    oow785m
    edited September 2012
    Testing that I can post while my game is running :)

Edit: Works fine! Now to just count down the days - lol!
    edited September 2012
    What timing! I will be leaving Dallas to head back to Wyoming on Sunday! Hopefully, that won't interfere with any class schedules/plans here? I should be free to be here on, what, Friday? That is the day, right? I'll double check, and make sure, but I believe so. Unless hubby changes his mind, again, and decides we have to leave then. *walks off grumbling*

Saturday! I'll try to be here Saturday! He'll be growling: Don't you have anything else you need to be doing, like packing something in the RV? No dear, it's already finished. :mrgreen:

Remember fellas, a happy wife is a happy life!
    edited September 2012
    priscapup wrote:
    What timing! I will be leaving Dallas to head back to Wyoming on Sunday! Hopefully, that won't interfere with any class schedules/plans here? I should be free to be here on, what, Friday? That is the day, right? I'll double check, and make sure, but I believe so. Unless hubby changes his mind, again, and decides we have to leave then. *walks off grumbling*

Saturday! I'll try to be here Saturday! He'll be growling: Don't you have anything else you need to be doing, like packing something in the RV? No dear, it's already finished. :mrgreen:

Remember fellas, a happy wife is a happy life!

Tell him I said that you should be able to spend two hours on yourself this Saturday and he can pack the RV while you're in class!

Because you KNOW the fact that I said it will make all the difference! LOL! :mrgreen:
    oow785m
    edited September 2012
    It's been a crazy week for me but I'm ready to go! I hope you all will enjoy the lesson. I'll see you on Saturday. :mrgreen:
    edited September 2012
    SimEve wrote:
    It's been a crazy week for me but I'm ready to go! I hope you all will enjoy the lesson. I'll see you on Saturday. :mrgreen:

I'm really looking forward to your class!
    oow785m
  • sharonxyzsharonxyz Posts: 811 Member
    edited September 2012
    Register me please :)
    edited September 2012
    sharonxyz wrote:
    Register me please :)

Done! Hi, Sharon! *waves*
    oow785m
    edited September 2012
    Eep! :shock: It's almost time! I'll see you all soon. :mrgreen:
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    edited September 2012
    Hi Zoo and SimEve,

After coming home from work yesterday, my husband dropped the bomb (albeit a fabulous bomb) on me that we're moving tomorrow, which means packing today - that being said, I may not make it to class tonight. I hope we'll be finished packing by 11pm (GMT), but I just wanted to give you a heads up in case I don't appear in class today.
    edited September 2012
    Just loading game now... 4:30AM here in Oz and I woke up straight away when the alarm went off - now there's a first :shock: - LOL! Don't wait for me - I must get a cuppa to help me wake up... brb :)
    edited September 2012
    I'm here, I'm here!!!! Game loading now! *does happy dance*
    edited September 2012
    Glad to see I'm not alone :) Hi Priscapup! *waves madly* :D
    edited September 2012
    Hi! Thanks so much to everyone who signed up. I hope I do a good job. This lesson is pretty basic but I hope you enjoy it. Next lesson will be more fun, I promise! Ok, so I'm going to start setting things up. :mrgreen:
    edited September 2012
    Yay!!! *waves at Kaz*

I just grabbed a cuppa myself!!! *huge grin*

Yummy! :mrgreen:

Promise I'm going to love every minute, SimEve, thank you for taking the time!
    edited September 2012
    Lesson 1 : Fog Emitter Basics

This lesson will cover the basic set up of fog emitters, different ways to place them and some basic ideas for their use.

Important Information
    You must have the Ambitions expansion to have the fog emitter available for use. However, the fog emitter codes are universal. So even if you do not have a certain expansion, you can use the codes from that expansion and they will transfer through the upload/download process, even if the downloader does not have the expansion either. Of course, they do need the Ambitions expansion since the fog emitter itself does not transfer to those without Ambitions. I have confirmed this through testing with the help of a download tester.

Opening the Sims 3 Console
    In game, press the "c" key while holding the "Shift" and "Ctrl" keys. If you do it properly the screen will go darker and little blue line box will open. This is where you type in the hidden building tools and game cheats.

Any text that looks like this is a link!
    edited September 2012
    Using the Fog Emitter
    Note: If the instructions seem overly simplified at times, remember that some Simmers have never used the fog emitter or the console before.

Open Sims 3 and load your desired game. In any mode(play/build/buy) open the console. (link) Now type in the code "testingcheatsenabled true" as shown below. Then press enter.

Lecture+1.png

Now open the console again and type in "buydebug on" or "buydebug" Note: I show both examples because you can also turn the buydebug menu off by typing in "buydebug off".

You will also want to open the console one more time to type in "moveobjects on". This will allow you to move objects off of the grid and to be placed very precisely by holding the "Alt" key down while placing.

In the buy menu you will now see a "?" tab. This is the Debug menu.

Lecture+3.png

As you can see in the picture below, the fog emitter can be found in the last tab of the Debug menu.

Lecture+4.png

When you place it on the ground the fog emitter sinks halfway down. This may be just fine for some codes, but for most you will want to place the fog emitter on a surface to elevate it.

Lecture+5.png

There are several ways to get the fog emitter into the right position. If you prefer not to use any custom content then you can use end tables, display stands, end tables placed on pedastals and floor tiles on any floor level and empty floor tiles. You can also use terrain raising and lowering tools to position them outdoors. You will learn more about that a bit later.

Lecture+6.png
    Screenshot-46+%25282%2529.png

They can be placed on any empty floor tile. All of these positions will stay in place and will transfer in the upload/download process.
    Screenshot-46.jpg

For those of you who don't mind using custom content or game modifications there are a few options that may look better than using tables and such. There can be issues with these options because of the many update issues with custom content. So use these at your own risk. I would recommend only using these options with no other choice available to you. Don't get me wrong because I think they are fabulous tools, but if they ever get made obsolete by updates, your effects will be ruined.

OMSP's These are simply surface slots that you can place many objects on including fog emitters. They are invisible while playing so it can add a nice effect. Some of these used to be considered transferable to the downloader but I wouldn't trust that due to all of the update issues.

Shift-able Fog Emitter Tool This is a mod that allows the fog emitter to be shifted vertically. The range is not unlimited but it is a nice tool and it is does transfer in the upload/download process. I've tested it. I would recommend this over the OMSP's but again, there is no guarantee that it won't become corrupted after another update.

After placing the fog emitter we can now focus on adding the desired effect. Mouse click on the fog emitter while holding the "Shift" and "Ctrl" keys. This will open a menu. Click on the "Set Visual Effect" tab.

Lecture+8.png

The default code for the fog emitter is fog, obviously.

Lecture+9.png

You simply replace it with whatever code you like. You can type it in or copy and paste it in (copy= "Ctrl" + "c", paste= "Ctrl" + "v"). For this lesson I"m going to use one of my favorite codes, "fishsharkactive". Simply enter the code and accept by clicking the check mark. Now let's test it. Go into play mode and if you entered it properly you will see the animation.

9tj6hf6

Sometimes you will see the animation pop up while still in buy mode but most of them won't be seen until you go into play mode.

Lecture+11.png
    Screenshot-409.png

If for some reason you don't see the animation go back into the fog emitter menu and make sure that you have entered the code in properly, have not included a space at the end or beginning of the code and make sure the effect is enabled. You can do this by looking at the tab highlighted below. If it says "Enable Visual Effect" then you need to click it. If it says " Disable Visual Effect" then it is already enabled and you can leave it alone. They are mostly always enabled so you will only need to check this if the effect does not show up.

Lecture+12.png

Please note that there are certain places that react differently to the fog emitter animations. For instance, I have never been able to get them to work in pools or ponds. Some have told me they were able to. In community lots they do work, but are disabled so you have to enable the effects as shown earlier.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top