Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If you want "lipstick" on a pig, ask for it nicely.

As I write this I’m still searching for a topic for this thread, some thing that expresses what I’ve noticed seems to be going on,
Move on you can’t live in the past,
You can’t please everyone, or
We’ll get there eventually.
My point is the forums seem filled with complaints about all sorts of things and how EA should have done more for TS3 to make it more appealing. The problem is the common thread seems to be “I wanted this feature and it’s not there so the game sucks, and while we’re at it EA sucks because they didn’t listen to me.” In fact I just read a thread where more or less the topic was “I didn’t want another Vacation re-mix because it was the worst EP ever so EA sucks.” To put icing on the cake the thread wasn’t written in the first person, but rather it was written as if the writer expressed the will of the community. (I know in quotes I said “I” but I was paraphrasing). How does the writer know how I feel? How do they know what I wanted in an EP? How do they know I think Vacations was a horrible EP? (BTW I didn’t all my sims went on at least one vacation).
Anyway I’ve noticed that these types of threads are getting worse and worse, it not something new as it started after TS2 replaces TS1, but it’s got to the point where it seems that it’s all some people can post now and IMHO it’s wrecking the forums as it creates a lot of negativity and personal attacks.
First, negative posts lead to negative posts and personal attacks. For example I personally was hoping for OFB as the first EP for TS3 and admit I was a little disappointed by the WoA announcement. I could post in the forums how EA sucks and doesn’t listen to it customers and so on, or I could post a simple statement saying was disappointed as I was hoping for OFB and why. (I wanted to be able to run restaurants and so on.) The second option would have probably been greeted with comments like “yeah I know how you feel” or “sorry you feel that way but I’m happy”. Whereas the attack option would have been greeted with an attack on me, then an attack on someone else because I should be able to say what I want, then more attacks and more negativity.
Secondly as I said disappointment is not a new thing for this community. When we moved from TS1 to TS2 tons of people missed a lot of features that weren’t in the new game. I missed magic as a lot of people did, as well as other features, but eventually new EP’s came and it eventually had a ton of features as well including magic, though it wasn’t the same as MM. But you learn, adapt, overcome and I ended up enjoying TS2 for what it was. Bear in mind that if EA had merely re-done the same EP’s for TS2 the community would have screamed about putting lipstick on a pig as they were essentially paying for the same EP’s only with a new game engine. In the end there was a compromise some features were brought back, some weren’t, and new ones introduced and in the end TS2 was similar in play style to TS1 but different enough to keep us playing.
Which bring us to TS3, for the most part I love the game, but there are a lot of things I miss. I love the new hood, the ability to go anywhere, the graphics, the fact that all sims age and you can grow up with a childhood friend and die at the same time, the list goes on. But at the same time there are lots of things I miss, I miss dates, attraction, shops I can own, weather and so on. I miss some of these features so much that I’ve actually re-installed TS2 on my new PC so I can play both and have the best of both worlds. Sure I’d love TS3 to have the features of TS2, but I know that given time many of them will come, some will be new and better, some will be worse, but in the end we’ll end up with a game that is still very playable and is inline with “The Sims” ideology, that is it allows us to create a sim and build a whole story around that sims life and the life of his/her off spring.
So while I feel a lot of peoples pain because they can’t do a lot of the things they could do in TS2, I think it’s time to stop the negativity and focus on the future. Remember the option to have both games installed is always there if you really want to play that feature, but please don’t attack just because you didn’t get what you wanted. All that does is make the community forums negative, and doesn’t change anything. I doubt EA will ever just clone TS2 and try to sell it as a new EP for TS3.
Anyway, please let’s try an bring a positive spin back to the forums.

Comments

• Options
    MisskelibellyMisskelibelly Posts: 432 New Member
    edited August 2009
    tl;dr
  • Options
    simjettsimjett Posts: 5,254 Member
    edited August 2009
    What about if we want a wall of text :P

I'll try reading again.
  • Options
    Kristin1077Kristin1077 Posts: 629 New Member
    edited August 2009
    No matter what you do, you can't
    force people to like the game, nor can
    you control what people post. The sims
    forum is made for everyone, regardless of their opinions.
  • Options
    HandtHandt Posts: 333 New Member
    edited August 2009
    WALL OF TEXT DEALS 9999 POINTS OF DAMAGE.

Handt faints!

But I do agree with your points. TS2 had years and years for EPs to come. While it is annoying to go back to square one with TS3, it does offer some fresh twists and a good graphics rework.
  • Options
    simskiersimskier Posts: 108 New Member
    edited August 2009
    The thing that bothers me is that people are complaining about an EP that hasn't come out yet.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    P.S. I thought this would be a Sarah Palin post.
  • Options
    Zolt65Zolt65 Posts: 8,272 Member
    edited August 2009
    Paragraphs...are your friend. :-)
    You can’t please everyone

so true, especially when EP's are announced :-o

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Marcus Aurelius
  • Options
    ChylaChyla Posts: 3,270 New Member
    edited August 2009
    WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Chyla wrote:
    WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

I'm stealing your picture :twisted:
  • Options
    cowseatsoap91cowseatsoap91 Posts: 601 New Member
    edited August 2009
    i feel the same way too.
  • Options
    SimToth1212SimToth1212 Posts: 512 Member
    edited August 2009
    Paragraphs are your friend! :P
  • Options
    ShadowShadow Posts: 3,315 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Handt wrote:
    P.S. I thought this would be a Sarah Palin post.

That's what I thought this was about! :P

To OP: As been said before, paragraphs are your friend. :-)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Handt wrote:

Pfft. There's already a club for people who do that to me :p
  • Options
    Little_HaydenLittle_Hayden Posts: 171 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Long post is loooooong. :P

But I get what you're saying.
    I think people were a tad disappointed because yes, TS2 had so much content. But people forget it was out a lot longer and had numerous expansions and item packs. This game has been out a few months and is still growing.
    There will be expansions later on, and I'm sure TS3 will have even more than any Sims game before it. Because it has so many endless possibilities.

Another thing, it is not the Sims Developers fault about the glitches and maybe even "missing" or "needed" content in the game. EA has a tendency to be about deadlines, deadlines, deadlines. And if the game is not tested enough, or, as is popular in game testing, a large glitch is found towards the END of the project testing, they do not have enough time to fix it, because, deadlines, deadlines, deadlines and, you guessed it, more deadlines.

Companies spend oodles of dollars on launches. And this game is so vast and complex that I REALLY doubt it was tested to the extent it should have been.
    But what you can do. At least we have the internet for patches and such.

Yes we all have our ideas of what would be great to add to the game, and I'm sure the developers did too, they probably just didn't have enough time with the deadlineattack creeping up behind them.

So kudos to the developers, and a big wet thank you to the game testers, all matters aside, and I wish you all luck with your future content.

• Options
    edited August 2009
    Chyla wrote:
    Handt wrote:

Pfft. There's already a club for people who do that to me :p

Where's the club? I want to join. xD
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    tl;dr

herdthosecats.png
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Shadow wrote:

I think it's a special secret club that must not be named :o

The only requirements are that when I post an image it must be reposted by someone new by the following day.
  • Options
    Pnzr68Pnzr68 Posts: 81 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Chyla wrote:
    WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

OK, sorry for the long winded volley of text, but I'm getting annoyed with all the negative posts, especially as we haven't seen the EP yet, and we're not even 6 months into the game.
    I don't want a re-hash of TS2 with better graphics, I want new features that will make/keep me interested.

Yeah I figured a Sarah Palin reference would get some attention. :shock:
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Pnzr68 wrote:
    OK, sorry for the long winded volley of text, but I'm getting annoyed with all the negative posts, especially as we haven't seen the EP yet, and we're not even 6 months into the game.
    I don't want a re-hash of TS2 with better graphics, I want new features that will make/keep me interested.

Dude, then just say that XD
  • Options
    DewmzdeighDewmzdeigh Posts: 1,630 New Member
    edited August 2009
    tl;dr

this.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Chyla wrote:
    Shadow wrote:

I think it's a special secret club that must not be named :o

The only requirements are that when I post an image it must be reposted by someone new by the following day.

I think I can remember that. 8)
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    Dewmzdeigh wrote:
    this.

I thought I recognised you.
    2zojam8.jpg
  • Options
    simlvr6695simlvr6695 Posts: 356 New Member
    edited August 2009
    the amount of words have discouraged me from reading.
    sucks for you.
    :wink:
  • Options
    Little_HaydenLittle_Hayden Posts: 171 New Member
    edited August 2009
    Whoa there, Rainbow Clown Man.
  • Options
    edited August 2009
    simlvr6695 wrote:
    the amount of words have discouraged me from reading.
    sucks for you.
    :wink:

I didn't read either. I just skipped down until I saw the replies.