March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caw FAQ's........Links to Tutorials, and Resources. Textures, & Troubleshooting

Comments

• bunbunnynybunbunnyny Posts: 3,678 Member
    edited August 2011
  • JBAG521JBAG521 Posts: 2,783 Member
    edited August 2011
    I just wanted to say a BIG thank you for creating this thread. My frustration with Sunset Valley has finally gotten the better of me and Ive decided to attempt to make my own world instead. This will help me greatly!
    edited August 2011
    Auntie, I'm really sorry if I sound impatient or something, but you said on those tutorials that I made that youbwould add them, but you haven't yet. So, I was just wondering if you've changed your mind about them. I'm completely fine with it if you did, I was just wondering what happened.
  • auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited August 2011
    I'm Sorry Bun Bun.

I was thinking I added them when I added some other stuff.

I'll do it right now. Thank you for giving me a kick in the kazzu, I need it sometimes :)

I realize now I updated my tomb tuts at TS3CC with you're new tuts, but forgot this one, duh :oops:

I also posted for Smoky Topaz in the Building Tuts in Creative Corner.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/150/279453.page#6064251
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited August 2011
    Okay, I got my CAW working again, and with lessons hopefully learned from past blunders, I'm starting a new world. I'm calling it New Cairo for now (I just like the sound of it), but it's probably going to look more like Middle America than Egypt.

My question is about distant terrain. It seems like no matter what I do, I can't seem to get it to rotate, so I can surround my entire world. I've tried the WA terrains that do surround it, but there still seems to be open gaps, even with large maps. There's a lot of coastal & island towns out there, so I'm thinking something inland for a change.

Any good tips on laying distant terrain? If it's already been addressed, just slap me silly and point me to the post. :P
    Gallery ID: LDM2
    edited August 2011
    Placing DT can be a pain. Kiwi tea wrote a tut on it with the positions of all the DT's available so far. I think I linked it under Metadata Objects. HeyWhatReub also wrote one, it's linked under Metadata Objects as well. :D

• ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    edited August 2011
    Placing DT can be a pain. Kiwi tea wrote a tut on it with the positions of all the DT's available so far. I think I linked it under Metadata Objects. HeyWhatReub also wrote one, it's linked under Metadata Objects as well. :D

Thanks. I tried HeyWhatReub's method, and it does look better already.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • TechiBrookeTechiBrooke Posts: 3 New Member
    edited August 2011
    This FAQ has been a godsend. CAW is slowly becoming a favorite passtime... :)
  • HanSim3HanSim3 Posts: 19
    edited August 2011
    Great job on this.
    edited March 2012
    You will need a file compression program. If you don't already have one I suggest Winrar, or 7-zip. 7-zip & WinRar File Archivers

Find your Caw files to zip up here; Go to;
    Documents
    Electronic Arts
    Sims 3 Create a World
    UserToolData
    Worlds

You will need the.world file, and the world folder
    caw_fi10.jpg

You need to archive the files together in one folder to upload to mediafire.
    Copy the .world file, and the world folder into a new folder

You can make a new folder on your desktop by rightclicking on your desktop, and choosing New, Folder.
    2s7hm43.jpg

Drop the .world, and the world folder in there, then right click on that folder.

Depending on which one you got, click on "add to archive"

2a18is.jpg

Now all you have to do is upload to mediafire, and post the link.
  • misteemilesmisteemiles Posts: 44
    edited August 2011
    AuntieLynds, I fixed CAW game not compatible issue you should check out soon and add it to the FAQ :D

Here's the link

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/426521.page
    edited August 2011
    :shock: :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::lol: I think I've just done the impossible. I've just discovered how to make it so that a pushable statue can activate a switch specific to that statue, and not with any other switch! :lol::lol::lol::mrgreen:

I'm still testing this. Once I'm sure it works, I will post a tutorial on how to make it.
    edited August 2011
    AuntieLynds, I fixed CAW game not compatible issue you should check out soon and add it to the FAQ :D

Here's the link

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/426521.page

I'll add this to the Caw troubleshooting thread! Thankyou Misteemiles!

Bun Bun, Can't wait!
    edited August 2011
    I have to take a little break from the forums, and caw for a bit. RL issues have arisen, and I need to devote some time to them. Hopefully someone will watch this thread, and help those simmers who need to be pointed in the right direction.

Be back Soon :)
  • ConorsimConorsim Posts: 5,890 Member
    edited August 2011
    I have to take a little break from the forums, and caw for a bit. RL issues have arisen, and I need to devote some time to them. Hopefully someone will watch this thread, and help those simmers who need to be pointed in the right direction.

Be back Soon :)

Aw Lynds it's okay. :-) We all need a break ... I'll be getting one next week with School. :lol: RL comes before games. I'm sure if a question does arise in this thread some of us will pitch in to help - (I'm out with the "filey-stuff though :shock: )
    :mrgreen:
    edited August 2011
    edited August 2011
    Thanks Conner :)
    You're such a sweetheart!

Got it Bunbun :)
  • MayRangelMayRangel Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    hey, i have a question.
    i try to take a picture for my thumbnail in Edit Game mode but it doesn't show any trees unless im up close & i try shift & print screen but i dont know if its working? what is supposed to pop up or where do i find it?
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited September 2011
    You can help by alerting me of any new information out there you don't see listed, or you can write a tutorial of your own if you see information lacking. Just post with a link to the information, and I'll include it under the appropriate heading.

Hi Auntielynds,

I go by the name Libby over at the Dutch forum. And like you I like CAW. I'am not as good as you, I'am still in the making of my first world which will proberly take forever, but I'am getting there. And you play a big part in that. For me you are the goddess of CAW (too much?). So thank you very much for all the efforts you do for all the CAW enthusiastics.

Over at the dutch forum it's a bit lonely for CAW'sters. I'am trying, I asked the mods if they could make my CAW topic a sticky (becasuse there is no subforum). For now the answer is no (there are too many sticky's already). I also tryed tot make the pre generations CAW version available but I'am still waiting for a answer. It's a bit frustrating to get little response to my topics, especially because a lot of people need help with it (also at the dutch forum).

I want to ask you if it's possible to include my topics in you're topic over at the TS3 Creators' Consortium. I have no account there, that's why I'am asking here. I prefer that topic because I can only access this The Sims 3 forum If I change the language. TS3 Creators' Consortium is always easy accessible for everybody without any (language settings) hustle. In the CAW Library over at TS3 CC you also include a link to a Spanisch forum so I thought Dutch would proberly be oke too.

I made three topics:

* Creëer een Wereld Bibliotheek: ervaringen, tutorials, inspiratie
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/356476.page

Because you cannot understand what I write in the topic (unless you speak Dutch) a translation:

Create A World Library: experiences, tutorials, inspiration
    First post, summary:
    - Introduction to the topic
    - Experiences asked
    - CAW troubleshooting
    - How to make a begin in/with CAW
    - Lists sizes rabbitholes/public lots
    - Tutorials
    - YouTube Filmps/Tutorials
    - Forums
    - Diverse
    - Build - EIG (also EP's necessary)
    - Inspiration
    - For advanced CAW'sters

Every tittle includes links to go with the tittle.
    The topic itself is mostly about people who need help and there personal experiences with creating a world.

* Tutorial CAW: hoe te beginnen in/met Creëer een Wereld
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/431240.page

Tutorial CAW: how to begin in/with Create a World
    First post, summary:
    - Introduction to the topic
    - Personal tips
    - 2th post: a good prep (advice how to prep)
    - 3th post: how to (make a) begin with the help of user experiences
    - 4th post: Tips and advice
    - 5th post: Frequently asked questions and answers

* Tutorial CAW: afbeelding, exporteren, installeren, uploaden
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/416138.page

Tutorial CAW: image, export, install, upload
    - How to add picture/desciption to world, export, upload to Studio/Exchange (when desired), install.

Thank you for you're time. Hope to hear from you when it's convenient and everything is oke (enough) in RL.

Greetings,
    Libby

(ps. in case you go see the topics, don't forget to change the language to dutch and than copy the link).
    And happy 2 year anniversary with you're membership to The Sims 3 Community forum/you're account.

EDIT:
    MayRangel wrote:
    i try to take a picture for my thumbnail in Edit Game mode but it doesn't show any trees unless im up close & i try shift & print screen but i dont know if its working? what is supposed to pop up or where do i find it?

You can try a program like fraps. Mayby that will work and show the trees. Fraps puts the pictures in a folder which you can easily find. Only fraps will show everything so also the control panel but you can cut that from the picture with paint. Also there is a cheat which called "fadeObjects [on|off]" (toggles whether objects fade when the camera gets close to them, does not apply to sims.)

After you take a picture with printscreen, go to paint and try CTRL+V and see if the picture shows.

PS. In Medievel with F10 the control panel conceals So, try the F keys when (before) taking a picture with fraps in The Sims 3.
  • HeyWhatReubHeyWhatReub Posts: 81 New Member
    edited September 2011
    ldmarko wrote:

Thanks. I tried HeyWhatReub's method, and it does look better already.

Glad to hear it's helped you. :)
  • nobodysfool20101nobodysfool20101 Posts: 2
    edited September 2011
    Hello!

I recently posted a question on another forum about CAW now working if you do not have the latest expansion pack, and i thank you for giving me the information to help me with this.

unfortunately i am having another problem with CAW. It will not edit in game mode (after doing what you said to do for getting caw program to open). It opens the launch screen, not the game!! I was wondering what i should do about this? Thanks so much for all your help!
    edited September 2011
    Hello SimLibby :D

You are such a sweatheart, you make me blush :oops: :mrgreen:

No problem to post your stuff at TS3CC. We actually have several Dutch members. One member, Meresimp, is a moderator at a Dutch forum you might be interested in also. Sims Net She is on another Dutch forum she belongs to, but I don't know the name, I can find out though. For now, I'll link up your tutorials here, and at TS3CC. If you'd like I can even get you a subforum for all your Dutch tutorials there. We could put it right under Resources Listings

http://builders.forumotion.net/f35-caw-library

30w5b3n.jpg

However, you'd probably get more of a response from the Dutch Sim Community in an established Dutch forum. Let me know what you'd like to do.

edited September 2011
    Hello!
    It will not edit in game mode (after doing what you said to do for getting caw program to open). It opens the launch screen, not the game!! I was wondering what i should do about this? Thanks so much for all your help!

This is the issue that happens when you don't have Town Life. Go to the second post in this thread for the workaround.
    http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/417418.page

Edit:
    Sorry wrong answer :oops:

The EIG issue is from not having Generations, sigh. Zaide_chris, at MTS made this nifty little gizmo, you just download, unzip, and leave it on your desktop. Save your world, exit Caw, then go and drag, and drop your .world file onto the EIG icon. EIG automatically opens up your world. You do your normal work, then save, and the quit. Once you open Caw back up, all your changes should be there. :D
    Batch file to easily open EIG

You'll find your .world file here;
    Documents
    Electronic Arts
    Sims 3 Create a World
    UserToolData
    Worlds

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights