March 15th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please help: weather

ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
edited March 8 in Nominated Threads
Ok, well Im finishing creating my world that i based off of sunset vally. I want to set it so that the weather is cloudy, but not so much as it was in Bridgport (something between sunset vally clear sky and twinbrooks clouds).My world turned out great but the sunsets and sky in general look best when it is slightly cloudy. I've read that you can change that in the ini files but all i can find are instruction on how to change the water color. Most instructions mention that you can change the cloudiness but they never specify how. Ive lookin in the ini files, but i don't understand how to change the cloudiness level.
If anybody knows how to do this please help!!!!

****Resolved, look @ my post lower
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• JasumiJasumi Posts: 521 Member
    edited April 2011
    I wish I could figure this out, too, somebody has to know????
  • Magic_DancerMagic_Dancer Posts: 1,398 Member
    edited April 2011
    In the ini files there is this line:

;; generate new cloud cover every N hours
    WeatherRandomizeInterval = 7
    ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

If you change the number then it will change the hours that the weather is randomized. I also read it was best to keep it an odd number. This was from Stw's post and site, I believe.

Also, at modthesims there is this:
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=426867

I haven't messed with them and you reminded me I wanted to change the hours of sunrise and sunset in my last world. :lol:
  • simsamplesimsample Posts: 987 Member
    edited April 2011
    Also, I replied with this to Jasumi over on MTS- make sure if you import your ini files to your world that you don't then open the world in CAW.

This is because CAW will delete any ini files you import.

What you need to do is to import the files to your World file, open CAW and select the world to export without opening the world. Then test in-game to see the effect.
    I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
    edited April 2011
    i figured it out! i'll explain it so that everyone can do it

HOW TO MAKE WEATHER FOR YOUR WORLD:

this guide to change the water color is pretty much what you also do to make weather:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=388840

but instead of the sea files you are going to be changing the ini files of the sky. (remember to back up you original ini files)

the 6 ini files you'll need for the sky:
    SkyCommon: open this file and change the "generate new cloud cover every N hours" to 5 (remember to save the file before closing it)
    Sky_Stormy1
    Sky_stormy2
    Sky_StormySky
    Sky_StormySea
    Sky_StormyLight

in s3pe you open your world a you need to import all these files one by one.
    first you go Tools-> FNV ****. In here you type in the name of the file exactly as it is, including the capital letters. Click "calculate". Highlight and copy the FNV64 value.

next, go Resource->Import->from file. Navigate to the folder where you have prepared you ini files. If you do not see your files in that folder, make sure you have "see all files" setting on. Open the file who's name you just ****** in the previous step. In the window that pops up, in the box INSTANCE you paste the ****** name. In the TYPE box, paste in this: 0x1F886EAD. Then click OK and the ini should be added to your world.

Repeat this process for the remainder of your files. Save the world.

Now you should have nice clouds in your game :)

• auntielyndsauntielynds Posts: 3,071 Member
    edited April 2011
    Nice walk through ltd2mp87 :)

I'm going to link this up in the FAQ.
  • ltd2mp87ltd2mp87 Posts: 728 Member
    edited April 2011
    hehe they censored "****" in " FNV ****"
  • JasumiJasumi Posts: 521 Member
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for this :)

And lol @ certain slangs being censored. Never heard that one in a while...
  • Mfaw81PMfaw81P Posts: 114 Member
    edited January 2012
    looks like 'mod the sims' is down. where do i find the ini file?

thanks
    edited January 2012
    The previously linked thread is a little out of date now; the way I would recommend to create custom sea/sky is by using the same method as is done in the EA worlds.

The previously linked thread is describing how to modify the basegame files, which use RGB values, whereas EA use colour gradients (ramps) in their custom worlds.

This thread is describing how to obtain and edit those files, and this method has been used successfully in many custom worlds.
    http://nene.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=459198

Please feel free to post there if you have any input or questions.
    RUSH
    My Worlds
  • Mfaw81PMfaw81P Posts: 114 Member
    edited January 2012
    thx for responding... is there any reason why these links just stall on me and never open?
    edited January 2012
    I have no idea- have you tried clearing your browser caches and trying again? Do you have another browser you can try in?

Also, try this link instead:
    http://linna.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=459198
    RUSH
    My Worlds

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top