Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do with your elders?

Comments

• MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 557 Member
    Keep them working to increase the household funds
    Haha @Mikezumi ok let's just say I got a little less interested. Lol I think I was just ready to move on. I never kill anyone on purpose though!!
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....

• MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    @MKSizzle You will see from my updates in the other "What's happening in your TS3 game" thread that I adore my elders and look after them very well. I don't really mind what others do with theirs since we all play differently :)
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,274 Member
    Other (please specify below)
    I'm happy that no one has said "Ättestupa" ("Kin-Cliff"), the nordic myth that elderly "useless" people where thrown off steep cliffs in old times so they wouldn't be a burden on their families. :lol:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    I recently added an elderly alien mother-in-law to my overstuffed house just to see how things would work out.
    Originally I imagined her as a Probe technician who somehow discovered her long lost daughter via an attempted probe on her son in law
    tumblr_inline_paahq6riQn1vhkp6x_500.jpg
    Then she moved in to reconnect with her family

She does do some cooking and cleaning but otherwise I let her fulfill her wishes or go out and about. She’s not a fan of her crying grandchildren
    tumblr_paebu44odD1xq9hdmo1_500.jpg
    I tried to make her as untypical as possible.

My favorite thing is her relationship with the son in law. It’s love/hate and hilarious to watch :p
    tumblr_inline_p9voifpy4K1vhkp6x_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9voieB6Fo1vhkp6x_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_p9voisqSWs1vhkp6x_500.jpg

• simsinmysleepsimsinmysleep Posts: 651 Member
    Mikezumi wrote: »
    What do you do with your elders?

Love them! :smiley: I voted 'other' because I do lots of the things on the list - not quite 'all of the above', but most things on the list I've done with them. I'd say my focus, though, is usually on 'Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc)'. I've always loved making elders as live-in nannies (who also cook and do some general housework - I give them the neat trait, foodie trait, & family-oriented trait so they actually enjoy doing those things) - I've done that in Sims 2, 3, and now 4. In a fairly recent save, I had a vampire who had twins (oops, didn't realize she was living on a lot with the 'ley line' trait, lol) and she's a real party girl, so I made a live-in nanny for her twins. Somehow the nanny has NO IDEA her boss is a vampire, lol.
    KGLsNuM.jpg
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    Business as usual - age is just a number
    This is my first play since TS3 was released. Playing the 10 gen challenge. My first matriarch met and married a guy who turned out to be 20+ Sim years older than her. He should have told her. His punishment: work until death, no retirement!

Going forward, my seniors live out their normal length lives in the family home.
    Make their last days as happy as possible (e.g. granting most wishes, letting them do things they enjoy, etc.)
    @Cororon Whenever I can't remember a word or trip over my own feet, my son jokes that it's time for the Old Folks Home :p Kin-Cliff sounds like an extreme way to deal with your elders but I can see how in different times elders would be a huge burden on families.

@Amphora Your mother-in-law sim seems like a hoot to play :) Her son-in-law seems to have got the short end of the stick ;)
    It's sad that mothers-in-law are often demonized as I loved my mother-in-law from the moment I met her and we got on famously although I can see how mothers-in-law could present a problem, given it's hard to let go of your children and it would be hard to imagine anyone being good enough for them ;)

@simsinmysleep I also love my elders :) I don't like to use my elders as live-in-nannies because they already had their turn at child-rearing but I have used my simself as a live-in nanny and she was a great help to busy parents. Your recent save sounds like fun :) I hope the live-in nanny doesn't end up as a convenient blood bank for the family ;)

@Rhiannon58 I remember when I first started playing and I couldn't tell how old potential partners were and being upset when they aged up soon after marrying my sim. I totally understand why you worked the first husband until he died as the household probably needed the money if it was the start of a Legacy.

Mikezumi wrote: »
    @Rhiannon58 I remember when I first started playing and I couldn't tell how old potential partners were and being upset when they aged up soon after marrying my sim. I totally understand why you worked the first husband until he died as the household probably needed the money if it was the start of a Legacy.

Oh he’s not dead yet. He probably wishes he was. His life meter is nearing the end so probably next play time. Yes, the money was badly needed. It’s Pinstar’s 10 gen legacy where you buy the most expensive blank lot so you’re down to 1800 with no house. The good thing about the hubs being older is he was at level 8 of his career. He is level 10 now, works one day a week and makes over 6k for that one day. He’s become the gardener, fisherman and helped raise their daughter.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    Oh he’s not dead yet. He probably wishes he was.

Toshio_Shocked.png
    Oh dear...

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Leave them to free will with minimal supervision
    Cororon wrote: »
    I'm happy that no one has said "Ättestupa" ("Kin-Cliff"), the nordic myth that elderly "useless" people where thrown off steep cliffs in old times so they wouldn't be a burden on their families. :lol:

Well, I'm not far off...
    @Cororan - Evidently they had something like that in Japan too, it was called ubasute - literally meaning, “the abandoning of an elderly women” and refers to the act, usually in times of famine, of carrying an elderly family member to a mountainside or some other remote place and leaving him or her to die of exposure (usually done through feudal official decrees - though that premise is on shaky ground)
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Nikkei_Simmer My elder SS better watch her step then! LOL
  • YuriTheCreatorYuriTheCreator Posts: 60 Member
    I've only played with an elder once, and when I did, it was for a legacy challenge. I was trying to have her master every skill before she passed away, and well... she was electrocuted trying to fix a stereo.
    April 8, 2015 is when I came out of that smelly old closet... 🚶‍♂️🚪
    @Thunderpie69 Sorry that you lost your sim to electrocution :( Thanks for voting and commenting :)
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Is it too late to bump this?
    @Simtown15 Nah! I like to know what people do with their elders :) Thanks for voting :)
    Yasunobu, after Susan went, didn't have a whole lot of time left on the ol' clock.
    Screenshot-121.jpg
    Screenshot-122.jpg
    Well, he'd lived a long and happy life...with the wife that he deserved.

...and well, Haruo and River aren't too much longer for adult-hood...as they're reaching the latter half of adulthood and will be elders...
    Screenshot-24.jpg

Haruo never fails to pay his respects to his father... unlike his "biological mother" who was an abusive piece of work.
    Screenshot-66.jpg

GYZ6Ak9.png
    I've really enjoyed looking back at this thread and seeing the poll. Votes are fairly evenly spread. I've always loved my Sims seniors. Maybe that's because I am one, I don't know. Some of my seniors continue to work, some of them help with the kids, gardening, etc. Some I let them do as they wish and some I try to get their LTW completed if they haven't already. So I should have chosen "Other" with an explanation.
    @Rhiannon58 I am also an elder and suspect that is why I treat mine so well. I know I wouldn't want to be cast out just because I am no longer young and pretty ;) Thanks for voting :)
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Often I choose them as my main startup sim, which means they do the things sims in general can do in the game.

In one save my two household sims of other ages wanted a continuous contact with the Grim Reaper, and since they knew the whole town, for various reasons, they got notified whenever someone was about to pass on. They then immidiately went to their house to, in more ways than one, make the last moments happy ones, until the point of the visit showed up.
    When this got to be routine, they instead started to 'invite to move in' the ones who were about to kick it. Sort of as a palliative personal home for that last day and night.
    @Auroraskies Thanks for voting :) The only time I have started a save with an elder is my Life on the Farm save with my simself and her husband and I only did that because they are immortal. I like to raise sims from birth to death so it doesn't make sense to start with an elder for me. Having said that, that save is a lot of fun because they raised two adopted sons :)
    That's lovely that your sims visit with, and make happy, sims who are about to die :) In some saves, I have invited over family members who had moved out for their last day of life as well.
    You asked about Mikezumi's bloomers in the other thread. They can be found here.
    Niall, who is a few days over a full life bar, is currently on vacation with his son and other members of his family. He's making the most of his extended time :D
    43953116444_9ce2923439_o.jpg
    44854486442_a80b3722e1_o.jpg
    43092531030_9c8b74e092_o.jpg
    43092530130_7e9ca45b97_o.jpg
    43953115854_76f2ffa772_o.jpg
    edited October 2018
    River - praying for her mother...
    Screenshot-75.jpg
    Screenshot-76.jpg
    The elders even in passing are venerated.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    @Nikkei_Simmer My aunt always grumbles about me not having a shrine to my mother in the house. I tell her I am only half Japanese and, as such, I do things in my own way. Having said that, I "talk" to my mother every day :)
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I feel kind of sad today, because my elder sim who I had for such a long time, He lived with his son and daughter in law and grandson. I am so sorry he is gone. I thought about putting him back in, I am not sure. He was so neat, a karate expert.