Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's your favorite way to make money?

Comments

• SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    my favorites would be the big money makers, nectar, writing, sculpting, jobs that pay well, a skilled photographer can make over $1,000 Simoleons on one photograph, and nectar making does pretty well too if they're skilled up. My Sims are spoiled though, they usually come into the world telling me what they want to do through their wishes, a lot are ambitious wanting more than one job. I usually take their skills, traits, & mix them together to come up with a lifetime wish & push them toward that. I try to make them all work together.
    This family is a millionaire family, they have two small children at home, and 2 have moved out.
    The boy who moved out got into inventing, music and is now a director. Their daughter who moved out got into painting like her parents, & music. They are the only Sims I have to have a band. It was a family band until the 2 older children moved out. The parents did some of everything. The mother paints, sculpts, makes nectar, the father does the same, is into mixology, they are all into music and the parents have about 30 - 40 books they've written between them maybe more. They also got into photography, had rabbit hole jobs, & invested their money.
    One time I left them alone while I played another family in town, and they started selling off things at the consignment store. I didn't know they knew how to do that autonomously. They have lots of perfect nectar worth $500 more a bottle and they collected thousands of year old nectar from France, exploring tombs & dive wells.
    They collect occasionally and the whole family are martial arts experts. The mother & father have maxed every skill.
    2yuagqh.jpg
    5f2hd5.jpg
    rw2fc8.jpg

And I have this family who is well off, owns almost everything in town, works rabbit hole job, is a scientist, martial arts expert, almost maxed out of all skills, and does other things to make money like collecting, & gardening. He also has some nice tiberium growing in his yard, with a lot of money trees.

29pdqoz.jpg
    kbslz5.jpg
    2njakac.jpg

And then there is this couple, they both work for the police force, they are millionaires, they have a lot of money trees, own a lot of businesses, he paints in his spare time & she really doesn't have time for too much else. I don't really remember how they got all this wealth.
    He's also into martial arts, and may have gotten into photography at one time or another.
    Must've done nectar making too, he has the racks in that room.

ayu5hg.jpg
    2ilos2d.jpg
    2ex6k2a.jpg

I also have one or two families that became rich by winning the lottery in back to the future. The Penny Pinchers in Twinbrook is one.
    The rest of the Sims I play are either comfortable or well off. I give them money in the beginning of the game but not a lot & they immediately get wishes to get a job doing this or that. I don't think they like being unemployed. If the job requires skill they wish to learn that skill, when they get that point they wish to get a job. I usually let them do what they want. There have been some, not many who I've created to do a certain thing but they didn't want any part of it, didn't even know what it was, and started sending wishes for something else & I caved & let them.
    They're spoiled but they are also good Sims too. They usually wait for me to give them the command, clean up after their selves even without the neat trait & some come to the house & won't leave. I add them to the family & play them sometimes & I've even done that to burglars.
  • DampenedLeavesDampenedLeaves Posts: 26 Member
    Rabbithole careers (sim disappears, then emerges, wad of cash in hand)
    So many of my sims are in bands and they make money that way, so I guess self-employed. I need to get ambitions so my sims can be formally self employed. I've been through the music and film careers way too many times (I hate the thought of "normal" jobs so I guess I project that onto my sims).
    tKtfnik.gif

She/Her
  • dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    Collecting objects on the ground
    Collecting things from the ground. I always prefer self employment (both in game and IRL) plus it allows me to invent careers in my head to play pretend such as:
    Botanist: collects flowers, must develop science skill and gardening skill to max so they can survive for funds in the winter, once skills are full they get a motherlode if they write a book (any genre) about the nurture and nature of plant sims.
    Florist: collects flowers must develop creative skill and art plus build charisma (for customer service).
    Geologist: Collects rocks must develop logic and science.
    Jeweller: collects rocks and metals, uses the store machine thingy to develop creativity plus either sculpting or art.
    Metallurgist: collects metals must develop science skill and logic.
    Holistic healer: Collects and grows herbs must develop gardening and alchemy skill and reach sim fu level 5 for meditation plus the snake charming basket (because I like it!)
    Conspiracy theorist: Collects space rocks, develops logic skill and social media skill in order to have a blog. Gets a motherlode bonus if they get abducted or gets an Alien to move in.
    I like to use my imagination to achieve options the game doesn't provide, it adds interest when you run get stuck in the self employment rut of writer or artist or writer or artist.
    You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Self-employment, official or otherwise (fishing, gardening, making arts or crafts to sell)
    @dothesmustle I love your combinations. Self-employment definitely does get repetitive after a while, especially since the most efficient approach is for each sim to max one skill. I'd have a lot more fun if there were tracks that utilized more than one skill at a time, like if children's book authors could earn better royalties by practicing painting as well as writing. I don't know about the conspiracy theorist having logic skill though—I've always thought that IRL they were mutually exclusive... but that's exactly the kind of thing they'd love to argue about. Anyway, I'm curious: Once they get an alien to move in, is the conspiracy still fun for them? Or does having concrete proof take all the joy out of ranting about a totally insane theory to the unbelieving masses?
  • dothesmustledothesmustle Posts: 1,851 Member
    @puzzlezaddict Once they get the alien to move in the fun begins with the theorist often taking revenge on non believers but getting an alien to move in is the top of the career and they are free to pursue other careers. It depends on the sims traits what way they go; insane sims sometimes get "cured" by a quick trip to the brain enhancing machine and being assigned a new trait normally to genius because all genius is touched with madness other times they go completely loopy with the unstable trait. Genius sims go on to become time travellers and inventors (bot builders) dedicated to universal peace, unstable sims can go down the same path but dedicated to universal destruction (queue many detonations and changing the future scenario to dystopian although I have never managed to do that yet). It really depends what stories are in my head for the character and if they have families etc, the plan is they become famous or infamous.

To be honest it is so difficult to get them abducted that I haven't played with the potentials of this one much. I would assume that having concrete proof would be an "in your face" to the unbelieving masses. Really I would love to make them into cult leaders but I cant think of a way to do that yet.

You can call me smustle or Lori if you prefer.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    Self-employment, official or otherwise (fishing, gardening, making arts or crafts to sell)
    It's got to be gardening for my sims. Often it is a side line. For example Baby is an athlete but she still gtows fruit and veg. I tend to involve the whole fail as soon as they are old enough. Nothing like using child labour and it's really great for skill building :)

A second source of income is collecting objects. Particularly useful for building funds quickly but it tends to get abandoned as the sims establish themselves in their careers.
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    I'm a sucker for finding precious gems the size of foot balls on the ground...
    NymlADp.jpg
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    @dothesmustle I LOVE the jobs you created. I may steal a few of those ideas, they sound like so much fun!
    <insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • Peach77Peach77 Posts: 313 Member
    The most fun I've had making money is playing a genie.

Step 1- Ensorcel a townie
    Step 2- Sell the cars, books, and laptops in their inventory

I especially like doing this as revenge on aliens who have kidnapped my sim.
  • ChicherinoChicherino Posts: 118 Member
    World Adventures tomb raiding
    World Adventures tomb raiding. Oh, the ADVENTURE!!!
  • SilentMichaelSilentMichael Posts: 103 Member
    Self employment, investing in business and other.

@faytheful , Did you mention about own a lot of businesses? How?
    Hello, How are you?
  • sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 546 Member
    Ambitions professions (get assignments, perform tasks, get paid)
    I really like the Ambitions careers. However, they're not for every Sim. I very rarely collect things in the game as it's just not that interesting to me. I do enjoy gardening, painting, and writing but have never attempted to make one of those a Sim's sole career. I'd say my favorite careers are the daycare and stylist.
  • NabrilNabril Posts: 179 Member
    edited July 2018
    Investing in businesses and venues
    Owning venues. It's by far the most profitable and the easiest. I like the setup- buying the venues and then upgrading them to level 3 within the build space provided. Sometimes you have to get creative.

I don't like rabbit hole careers because all that means is that for the 8 hours or whatever that my sim is at work, I cannot play that sim. I don't enjoy that.

I also love crafting and writing and to otherwise be self-employed. And I'm currently having fun with the magician career since it's not a rabbit hole. But when it's all said and done, the money I make being self-employed pales in comparison to the almost $300,000 I can get each week with venues.
    sig.jpg
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    I'd have to go with "all of the above" if there was that option. It depends on the Sim, what the family needs, etc. Each family member will get a different career. I try to match that up with personality, etc.
  • becks1112becks1112 Posts: 919 Member
    I like the rabbithole careers because it's steady money, but I often have them do stuff on the side as well.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited July 2018
    Hmmm, wish it was as easy as it is in Sims 3 in RL to make a career out of Photography. :D

tumblr_pbtgjmgmB11wm576ho1_540.jpg
    ~sigh~ :D Dealing with photo-editors who want you to work on a tight deadline for minimal compensation is the bane of all free-lance photographers. :neutral:

Love Sims 3, take a snap-shot instant buyer.
    RL: Photo Editor: "Um...can you go up to such and such a place, we need a shot of such and such a location at such and such time of day from whatever angle. We'll pay you a per diem of $50.00 (Are you freakin' kidding me, that won't even cover gas let alone any of my expenses!)"
    Me: "I start at $250.00/day for local locations we're talking double to triple that for out-of-town as a starting point. Sorry." ...and that doesn't even begin to cover replacement costs of equipment. The lens pictured in the photo was $2600.00 when I first bought it (It's a Nikon AFS 70-200mm f2.8 VRII with a $400.00 2x teleconverter tacked on it to give me 140-400mm f/5.6)

[img]http://🐸🐸🐸🐸.googleusercontent.com/-PddpC4_ob4Q/UfNCRW6z1gI/AAAAAAAAFIQ/PmjLh7zd3OU/w600-h450-no/07-25-2013_SerpentineRiver_LookingoutontoHwy99_rs.jpg[/img]
    ...and back when I owned the "Monster". My beloved missed Nikon AFS D ED-IF II 600mm f/4

Ah, Sims 3...if you only had a CC 600mm f/4 super telephoto.

As it is...with my back the way it is...I'm going to probably end up having to settle for a 200-400mm f/4 with a 1.4x Tele.

The positive side with Sims 3 is that camera equipment has NO weight whatsoever. :D
    Post edited by Nikkei_Simmer on
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • ElanoreAlexandriaElanoreAlexandria Posts: 66 Member
    Rhiannon58 wrote: »
    I'd have to go with "all of the above" if there was that option. It depends on the Sim, what the family needs, etc. Each family member will get a different career. I try to match that up with personality, etc.

I agree with this! Different combinations of these keep the game interesting. That said, I try to avoid collection gems, picking flowers or teaching a dog to hunt for gems (unless I need a rainbow gem or a pink diamond) because it feels like a too easy way to acquire money.

• MollyDTheSimsMollyDTheSims Posts: 21 Member
    I find being self employed the most enjoyable way to make money, you can control exactly what your sims do and the goals are only the ones you set for yourself. The way I play is that one person in the household has a normal job, like a rabbit hole job and the other stays home and is self employed.
  • miniriedyminiriedy Posts: 15 Member
    Jobs are fine, but nothing beats motherlode. :D
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Performing for tips
    Infact this was how my VERY FIRST Sim - Jetta Burns - started out, playing guitar in front of Sunset Valley's theater for tips. All day and every day - until her dying day! Literally! When she died, she was in the middle of playing for tip, when old age finally caught up with her! Her family was "well set" type of wealthy (this was before I knew what "motherlode" did). She would end up with 2 daughters - Mary and Miranda. Mary would (later on) do what Jetta did for a living (still plays for tips to this day), though Mary does it more for fun.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    World Adventures tomb raiding
    Dumpster Diving.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member
    edited July 2018
    miniriedy wrote: »
    Jobs are fine, but nothing beats motherlode. :D

family funds (family last name) §amount is a lot quicker. >:):D And much easier than typing out motherlode a couple dozen times. Saves your wrist and fingers from tendinitis. :D:mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    Ambitions professions (get assignments, perform tasks, get paid)
    This was an extremely difficult choice! As with others, I wish there was an "all of the above" option listed!

However, among my favorites to choose from on the list for the poll, I'd say the ambitions career paths as I love the freedom they offer and different types of tasks featured (some of which I'm even still now exploring or getting to learn about in this case) as well as just their creativity.
  • BishybriBishybri Posts: 35 Member
    edited July 2018
    I wish there was the "Sell wedding gifts from friends and family option"
    After a private ceremony in front of city hall, one of my newly married couples got a gift in the mail worth 75,000 dollars from the husband's old friend.My sims mostly have self employed carreers though.
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    Bishybri wrote: »
    I wish there was the "Sell wedding gifts from friends and family option"
    The first time my newly married Sims got a gift in the mail, I was a bit baffled. But then it kept happening. What fun!