Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What item or activity are your sims obsessed with?

Comments

• asap24asap24 Posts: 48 Member
    I cant stop with laundry. Well laundry repairs. My washer and dryer constantly malfunction.
    Also...having a rockwall outside will break in the rain. Everytime.
  • sassygray5sassygray5 Posts: 545 Member
    edited July 2018
    asap24 wrote: »
    I cant stop with laundry. Well laundry repairs. My washer and dryer constantly malfunction.
    Also...having a rockwall outside will break in the rain. Everytime.

@asap24 I assume this is referring to TS4? This is a TS3 forum :smile:
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    I am a simple man
    cyZLqDc.png
    Brothers can I get a witness??
    X4jNoRu.gif
    Hallelujah

HALLELUJAH!!! OH YES...HALLELUJAH!!! :D
    Screenshot-34.jpg
    Screenshot-37.jpg
    AMEN BROTHER!!! :D
    minions.jpg

GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    The snow cone machine. I only get it out when there´s a party, otherwise they´ll eat nothing else.
    The rocking horse. Kids want to ride that thing all-the-fricking-time.
    The rocking chair, but mostly elders. But I like the rocking chairs, they are so usefull when your sim is tired.
    The fixer-upper-car. Tired? Hungry? Stinky? Gotta fix that car first. At least it builds handyness.
    Also, the oven, kind of? Every time one of my sims is hungry, they feel the need to make a group meal for everyone.
    And if you have that mod, yes, all they wanna do is wohoo.

Of course, there are also the trait related obsessions.

Screenshot-x6434.jpg
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited July 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    There's something I don't understand here. How many of you who own snazzy kitchen appliances keep them out on the counter at all times in real life? I'm pretty sure most of us, even with decent sized kitchens, keep many of these things tucked away in cupboards for special occasional use. Either that, or you all have an array of kitchen countertop space that must be the equivalent of football fields.

Of course our sims don't have under or over the counter storage for small appliances, wish they did, but that's what Family Inventory is for. ;)
    I tend to forget about the family inventory and what’s in there :# It’s like Christmas whenever I do open it occasionally, finding stuff I never even knew I had.

(granted, the same goes for my kitchen cupboards; “wait, do we have a juicer!? nice!”)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • NabrilNabril Posts: 179 Member
    reading. Reading. READING!

Audrey will somehow wind up with 20 books in her inventory. She'll read the same book 50 times. She can't stop reading. She's not even a bookworm.
    sig.jpg
  • NabrilNabril Posts: 179 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    Have you guys with the sims' sprinkler fixations tried fencing off the portions of the gardens where the sprinklers are and locking the gates on them until they find something else to do?

That's a great idea. With a fence in the way, they can switch their attention from the first sprinkler head to the second, and then back to the first, over and over and over again, from the relative comfort of their living room instead of having to walk all the way to the garden before yelling and stomping their feet. And waving at me. Which is still kind of creepy, by the way.

You could also buy the greenhouse. It comes with overhead sprinklers that can't be "played in".
    sig.jpg
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    With most of my sims on low free will, I don't have much trouble with them in that respect, but my current household gets a babysitter while both parents are at work. The main draw for him seems to be the trampoline. Once he used the telescope, and another time he turned on the stereo, but he has never touched the computer.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    Of course, there are also the trait related obsessions.
    Screenshot-x6434.jpg

Hey, he cracked open a tiberium...that's a plus. :D>:) There's some instant simoleons. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Rhiannon58Rhiannon58 Posts: 806 Member
    Nabril wrote: »
    You could also buy the greenhouse. It comes with overhead sprinklers that can't be "played in".

We have greenhouses? Are they considered "indoors"? This might fix my problem of my heir who hates being outside.

• MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 557 Member
    I am a simple man
    cyZLqDc.png
    Brothers can I get a witness??
    X4jNoRu.gif
    Hallelujah

HALLELUJAH!!! OH YES...HALLELUJAH!!! :D
    Screenshot-34.jpg
    Screenshot-37.jpg
    AMEN BROTHER!!! :D
    minions.jpg

@Nikkei_Simmer Amen Hahaha
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....

• budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    Reading and play with magic. Even my children after I downloaded a mod to convert magic animations for children as well.
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited July 2018
    I went in my build save today and just had to share with you what I found.

When my tester/upgrader sim got up this morning, I quickly checked the beach across from where she is currently living for seashells. Her purpose in my game is to do things like check lot routing, upgrade appliances, and plant gardens on lots I build, but in addition to that, she also keeps a lot of goodies in her inventory to leave around here and there - like seashells. She also has a lot of harvestables packed away in her bag.

I know just where the seashell spawners are because I put them there, so it's a quick check. While I'm looking, I see in her queue that she has turned on the stereo. I know her. The first thing she does on any lot is turn on whatever sound system she can find and start dancing. She does it every single time, in every house and on every community lot.

The primary reason I loaded up this save today was I needed one more picture of the exterior of another house I'm planning to upload. So, after checking for the seashells, I went to map view, clicked on the lot I wanted (again I know exactly where it is so no time lost), swung around to the side of the lot I wanted, and paused the game. All of this took like no time, and I think my sim is dancing away, but . . .

Back at the house, this is what I found, and I have no idea how she even had time to do it!

42523484815_28fa308d17_c.jpgOhThosePumpkins by Sue H, on Flickr

By the way, she had exactly two pumpkins in her bag from when she was out raiding neighborhood gardens the previous evening.

Post edited by suzses on
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
  • Nyx_NightmareNyx_Nightmare Posts: 57 Member
    I have said this from the moment Supernatural came out, and I will say this to my dying days...

Rocking chairs were a MISTAKE.

Every single one of my Sims are obsessed with the rocking chairs. When I have one in the home they're CONSTANTLY rocking in it, and whenever I go to the Alchemy shop they start rocking in that one there too. And when they don't have a rocking chair they CONSTANTLY WISH FOR ONE.
    What is so amazing about these rocking chairs??? Am I just not seeing the beauty and perfection of rocking chairs?
    I am that one player in D&D that will ALWAYS roll 1s on Stealth, especially when I'm a Rogue :(
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    edited July 2018
    My Sim has gone from his obsession over the Ice cream maker to the fryer. Now he fries the ice cream. Every time.
    Then he gets the stuffed moodlet.

But I think the worst, I have now found, is a sim in another household who learned the school cheer. That's all he does. Chant the cheer. Over and over. In any spare moment. I wish I could somehow undo learning that for him. Reminds me of the obsession my Sims 2 Sims had with martial arts and vacation songs they learned.
  • ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
    Video games. My Sims can't get enough of them!
  • miniriedyminiriedy Posts: 15 Member
    Definitely reading, especially when they don't even have the bookworm trait...
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    I'm sure the ice cream maker and deep fat fryer from the Store have been mentioned. I love putting both these items in a kitchen but have stopped doing so. The sims will not leave these objects alone. Even if they are starving hungry and there is perfectly good food on the dinning table, they still head for the ice cream maker. Then they have the audacity to stand there and whine if the machine isn't working because it is so dirty :/
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    One of my nightmares is wandering and straying sims showing up all over the place in Storybrook in my 100 baby challenge after taking to wandering around as inactives.I'll have to improve my filering system to let them have the freedom to wander around in their own district as inactives while being banned from visiting any lots in another district unless they're my active family.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member

My sims love wardrobe woohoo. I do like placing different wardrobes in the bedrooms and apparently it is the choice spot for them.
    42398109685_8986e28425_b.jpg
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    bekkasan wrote: »
    My sims love wardrobe woohoo. I do like placing different wardrobes in the bedrooms and apparently it is the choice spot for them.
    42398109685_8986e28425_b.jpg
    You can't fool us. There's a deep fryer/ice cream maker/chocolate fountain combo appliance stashed away in that wardrobe, isn't there? >:):p
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    I gave my Sims a Juice Kegger and they are ADDICTED to it!

Just woke up? Drink!
    Just took a dump? Drink!
    Have to go to work in 20 minutes? Drink!
    Just watched someone die? Drink!
    Just checked the mail? Drink!

5b30cc5b80c3876b84eaa4632c6eb24e.jpg
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've seen them eating spoiled food again after making the Ivanovitch family active and letting the Jankowskys be inactive for a while.
    42106741704_57ec217539_b.jpg
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    My sims from different saves are obsessed in varying grade with all the above mentioned objects, but though I am not a programmer I suspect it is more complicated than that, and that traits or trait combination, my micro-managing and their previous 'behaviour', other objects on the lot etc all confer to direct the sims toward specific objects. I wish that someone who knows how to code would post here, since I really want to plan more ahead what to give my sims.

In my current save they all turn to the pond to 'fish forever' - it is stocked with death fish, toads and frogs and pretty fishes from china (World Adventures EP). They all have max fishing skill.

It is fun when visiting aliens directly steer towards the tea table, the face expressions are just so good.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    @Auroraskies - Just about every object in the game that has actions associated with it (so let's say not decor, rocks, floor tiles, or blades of grass) that advertises itself to sims around it on such metrics as fun, hunger, social, energy relief. Some of the objects discussed here as provided by EA are WAY over the top on these advertisements and just about any sims will fixate on them even if their needs/motives are already taken care of or others go into the red that have nothing to do with the objects in question. Examples mentioned include the deep fryer, ice cream maker, chocolate fountain, to an extent swimming pools and diving boards, sprinklers, water slides.

NRaas Retuner (or a standalone tuning mod, but that's more difficult for most to work with) can be used to adjust the object coding and calm those advertisements down so these objects can be competed with properly with other things on the lot for sims' attention and they will tend to go to bed when they need to or take care of the baby instead of staying up all hours of the night making and scarfing down ice cream until they are too fat to fit through the kitchen door.

Without mods we can't make those adjustments.

When the over the top items are not in play, sims will still sometimes tend to fixate on one or two actions repeatedly. Maybe they have a promised wish to satisfy, they think they are working on their Lifetime Wish (LTW), it can be career, trait, or skill related like your fishing example. But often enough there are no explanations and the sim needs to be reset in one way or another to help jump restart their autonomy. A testingcheatsenabled cheat code reset typically won't help as it isn't strong enough. With mods again, that would require MasterController. Without, seems a bit more drastic, but evicting the entire household to the side the map in Edit Town, copying the residential lot down to the bin, bulldozing it, replacing it with a copy, and moving everyone back in provides this kind of reset also. If the repeated attempts on the same activity are on a commercial lot or a friend's/relative's house, then it's probably just time to go home.

But I'm afraid we can't recommend specific objects that don't cause this to happen to fill our houses with because in many cases the seemingly stuck, overly fixated autonomy is due to the sims themselves and the way in which the game is programmed. The objects/activities can be just about anything.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net