Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

More than just lag? My objects take time to "catch up?.

I have this issue every time I go to my home lot. The objects on the lot take a minute to appear, and when they do appear, they are grayed out and take another minute to restore to their proper form. It also take a minute for the sims to appear. Someone said it is probably a hardware issue, rather than an in-game issue, but is there anyone out there who can help me out? Any ideas of where the problem actually lies and what I could do about it? Ask me anything you need to know about my computer and I will try my best to give you the information you need. Thank you so much! It is really making the game difficult to enjoy and that sucks!
The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    No, that's not lag. Not sure it has an official designation, but I would call it delayed rendering. Most of us get this to some extent or another. For me it's much worse on very busy lots (with lots of more complicated objects) and on over-crowded sim households but it does appear elsewhere occasionally as well. Less so if the game camera has recently been on the scene where it is now refocusing.

Do you really mean a full minute though -- can you really count to 60 (seconds) before things start appearing and another 60 before they are finished rendering? Or is it usually really much less than that? Any chance we can see a brief video of what you are experiencing or would that be too difficult a task to manage currently?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 557 Member
    @igazor I do hope you are joking around with that mocking tone of yours... I don't know exactly how long, I never actually timed it, but I will next time. I will lso try and get a video. The game video capture will suffice for that, right?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    MKSizzle wrote: »
    @igazor I do hope you are joking around with that mocking tone of yours... I don't know exactly how long, I never actually timed it, but I will next time. I will lso try and get a video. The game video capture will suffice for that, right?
    I guess one of the problems of my having a good time and goofing around with other players on this forum occasionally is that it might be difficult to know when I am being serious. There is nothing I said in my reply that was meant to be a joke or to be said in a mocking tone. Not sure why any of it would have come across that way, sorry.

Perhaps someone else had better assist.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor Wow I didn't mean to upset you. I just thought you were making fun of me or something. I would very much appreciate the help! I do hope you reconsider... I will figure out how to do a video clip of it...

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Ok @igazor. I have come with a video of the issue. I also timed it and it take approx. 48 seconds to render. Here is a link to the video. There is no sound and I have it on pause so there are moments when it looks like nothing at all is happening...

https://youtu.be/rNEasknSOQQ

EDIT: Did the dxdiag and did the pastebin thing. I put everything in it that was there.

https://pastebin.com/A0vdecGi

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Wow, that's a lot of lag. (For reference, I see the same effect as in your video, except that it plays out over 2-5 seconds on pause, depending on the lot and what else is going on in my game.) Have you been deleting the cache files in your game folder in Documents? If not, that should help at least somewhat. For reference, they are

CASPartCache.package
    compositorCache.package
    scriptCache.package
    simCompositorCache.package
    socialCache.package

I don't know if you've ever run and posted a dxdiag, but I'm guessing that igazor will want to see one on this computer. You can post the results to pastebin.com (free version) and leave the link here, or c/p the entire thing into several replies, as it will be far too long for one post.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-PC-Only/m-p/1049584/thread-id/47181
  • Options
    @puzzlezaddict Yeah I just did the dxdiag thing and included it. I am afraid to delete any of the cache files! But if it is safe to do then I will try that.

• Options
    Not only is it safe to do, but those five cache files must be cleared whenever the contents of Mods\Packages changes in any way (the socialCache one is optional though). Many of us clear them after or before every game session. I would never play on stale caches -- these kind in particular I mean. The data they hold, whether they be large cache files or the 1 kb kind that point elsewhere to the real cache which depends on the kind of world being played, is always expendable and they far too easily get clogged up with outdated data.

But just those four or five files, not any other kind of cache and certainly not the DCCache folder, which is an entirely different kind of beast.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post. But in addition to the dxdiag, I would like to see if I could please the first 40 lines or so from the file called DeviceConfig.log (it may show up as just DeviceConfig) in your TS3 user game folder. Not the long lists of game options that follow, the sections that come before that. You have dual graphics and I would like to see if the game is starting out with your Intel chip or the Nvidia.

The drivers on your Intel chip haven't been updated in years, although on the Nvidia they should be fine. Sometimes that gets in the way of the handoff. Regardless, are there any device driver updates available for this model on the Asus website?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Alright, let me see here... This is the Device Config.log you asked for:
    === Application info ===
    Name: Sims3
    Version:
    Build: Release
    === Rating info ===
    GPU: 5 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2394 Threading: 3
    Adjusted CPU: 2792 RAM: 8075 Adjusted RAM: 7563 Cores: 2
    === Machine info ===
    OS version: Windows 8 6.2.9200
    OS prod type: 0
    OS major ver: 6
    OS minor ver: 2
    OS SP major ver: 0
    OS SP minor ver: 0
    OS is 64Bit: 1
    CPU: GenuineIntel
    Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80GHz
    Family: 6
    Model: 5
    Cores: 2
    HT: 1
    x64: 0
    Memory: 8075MB
    Free memory: 4439MB
    User: Mary
    Computer: DESKTOP-GH3LVNI
    === Graphics device info ===
    Number: 0
    Name (driver): NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M
    Name (database): NVIDIA GeForce GT 745M [Found: 0, Matched: 0]
    Vendor: NVIDIA
    Chipset: Vendor: 10de, Device: 0fe3, Board: 12dd1043, Chipset: 00a1
    Driver: nvldumd.dll, Version: 24.21.13.9836, GUID: D7B71E3E-4CA3-11CF-9F55-D0321BC2D535
    Driver version: 9836
    Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
    Texture memory: 2160MB
    Vertex program: 3.0
    Pixel program: 3.0
    Hardware TnL: 1

The second thing you mentioned about the Intel chip. I had no idea I had dual graphics. I didn't realize that the Intel chip needed updating but I will go look to do that immediately. I will check the ASUS site. I will also delete those cache files that were listed.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Good, thanks. Your game is using the Nvidia card. And you are not getting the texture memory override that is so common with these cards, so we can also rule that out although I hadn't even mentioned it yet. Possibly we helped you straighten that out before or it just never happened in your case, either one is fine.

Hope the cache clearing helps. I also notice that your computer is using over 3.6 GB of RAM on something other than the game at the time the game starts. Of course Windows and system processes are going to be using up some resources, but that seems high. Perhaps you have web browsers or other programs running at the same time that could be shut down to give the game more processor power to work with?

But this may just be how your laptop is going to perform with the game, at least sometimes and on some worlds. Its processor is sufficient to run the game but not very strong being U-Series and it has to do what we call turbo to run fast enough to carry the game with its EPs. Your graphics card should be okay, but only just barely. Different players with mid-range cards like that one get varying experiences with TS3 performance all over the place.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    And here I thought I was buying a good laptop for the game back when I got it. Not sure what I was thinking. I'm still trying to update the drivers though. I deleted those cache files. Next time I play I will close everything but what about Origin itself? Is that using a lot of RAM? Is there a way to see what is using that much?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    MKSizzle wrote: »
    And here I thought I was buying a good laptop for the game back when I got it. Not sure what I was thinking. I'm still trying to update the drivers though. I deleted those cache files. Next time I play I will close everything but what about Origin itself? Is that using a lot of RAM? Is there a way to see what is using that much?
    It's not a horrible mid-range latptop from the sound of its specs, but by TS3 standards once we start talking about the heaviest hitting EPs (Pets and Seasons), huge collections of CC with or without the "bad" eyebrows, highly populated well progressed worlds, very busy lots with tons of intricate objects on them to render, sims with overflowing personal inventories, huge collections of scrapbook memories if you play with those on, then it would be expected to start struggling.

Don't know if we've covered this elsewhere, but some additional tips to relieve stress on the game.
    -- Of course use NRaas Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Register, and Traffic. And MasterController, especially to perform a Reset Everything on the City Hall menu every few sim weeks on ongoing games.
    -- Play logged off at both the Launcher and in-game levels, forgoing the few online "features" of the game
    -- Keep the in-game TS3 store shopping experience switched off
    -- Keep scrapbook memories switched off or use this mod to control them
    http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=446281

We also have to consider the laptop's age. It would be about four or five years old now or am I reading that incorrectly? Perhaps it could stand a professional cleaning inside? Dust and hair clogging up hard working components can have a significant negative impact on performance also and won't do much to extend the life of the computer.

On the RAM usage question, from the TaskBar, Search Bar, or ctrl+alt+delete, open up Task Manager and look at the processes tab, sorted by memory usage. If you see percentages instead of actual MB/GBs of usage for each process, right-click to change that to actual values. Origin itself, when it's behaving as it should and once the game is actually started up and running, shouldn't be using much of anything significant.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    I never heard of the Register or Traffic mods. I will do all of that. Sadly, delting the cache files did not seem to help much. I think the computer probably does need a good cleaning... yeah I got it in 2013. And I suppose because of the issues I'm having, getting the Seasons EP would not be a good idea. Sad I was looking to finally buy that soon.

• Options
    Register takes control of the town's Role and Service Sims and is much more reliable in its efforts to keep them working at their assigned tasks than without, where the game might otherwise use up all kinds of resources keeping the role objects staffed (or sometimes it just gives up too soon). It also offers control of stray animals (these are really Service Sims), Tourists, and other assorted things related to these types of NPCs. StoryProgression usually doesn't progress these sims like it does with residents because of their insane work schedules and their tendency to be hibernating off the world map when they aren't on duty.

Traffic helps prevent the game from spawning thousands to tens of thousands behind the scenes unnecessary vehicles, especially by stopping the bug that causes performance career limos and snack and ice cream trucks from overspawning, and by forcing inactive residents who lack cars or can't seem to use theirs to use taxis instead of giving them free disposable cars that later become abandoned. Overwatch cleans up all of the unnecessary vehicles every night at 3am (or later for urban worlds) anyway, but them being spawned and carried by the game in the first place causes performance problems for many over a certain point.

I would not recommend adding Seasons if the laptop is struggling with what you already have, until you find a solution for that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    xteamppxteampp Posts: 16 Member
    Get Nraas´ tools to clean the game.

As soon as I get the "member" rank I´ll share what I do with a batch file to avoid my cache filling up.
  • Options
    AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I hope this is not considered necroposting.

Hello @igazor,
    That constant generation of vehicles is so interesting. At NRaas site one poster asked if it made a difference to remove the parking places, to thereby limit the inactive's generation and misplacement of their cars, but did not get an answer. I've read that too, but long ago, and wondered if you could answer it? Some of the pages on NRaas do not show all information yet, like the one about the Traffic mod. In my saves I usually remove/sell cars from inventory as well as parking spaces in the world from Edit Town, but not in full scale, and in any way it would be hard for me to determine if that in particular would have any effect on performance.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    I hope this is not considered necroposting.

Hello @igazor,
    That constant generation of vehicles is so interesting. At NRaas site one poster asked if it made a difference to remove the parking places, to thereby limit the inactive's generation and misplacement of their cars, but did not get an answer. I've read that too, but long ago, and wondered if you could answer it? Some of the pages on NRaas do not show all information yet, like the one about the Traffic mod. In my saves I usually remove/sell cars from inventory as well as parking spaces in the world from Edit Town, but not in full scale, and in any way it would be hard for me to determine if that in particular would have any effect on performance.
    Just to reiterate a bit, perhaps.

NRaas Overwatch cleans up abandoned vehicles regardless of their actual source on its overnight run. But in between those overnight runs, many of them can accumulate.

NRaas Traffic has a couple of options, which must be set or at least should be checked on, that help reduce the number of vehicles being spawned needlessly, thus reducing strain on the game.

NRaas > Traffic > Routing > Always Use Taxis for Inactives Lacking Vehicles > True (is True by default)
    (this will stop the ongoing issuance of cheap, free cars to inactive sims who have none or who can't find theirs when they are needed; while taxis look silly in some world settings as a matter of style, the options can become a trade-off on realism vs. performance)

NRaas > Traffic > Routing > Allow Performance Career Limos > False (this one is True by default)
    (if you have Showtime, the limo spawning can get caught in a loop and tens of thousands of them can be spawned with OW left to do the cleanup on its next overnight run; setting this to false stops the issue cold in the beginning)

Sorry if you had a post at NRaas that never got answered, usually we try to not let that happen. I check on inactives' inventories in town with MC to make sure their cars are not stuck in Family Inventory every once in a while, they can't be used there. It should be fine for a "sane" number of vehicles to be in personal inventories. The free issue cars will become abandoned I believe with or without parking spaces in town, there are some who dispute that, but usually we are talking about no more than a dozen or so before OW finds and gets rid of them. The thousands or tens of thousands of performance career limo issue can be huge and a real drain on game resources. So can Snack Trucks (LN) and Ice Cream Trucks (Pets) if those get caught in an overspawnage loop but Traffic also has settings to limit those to a realistic number per world -- that would be 2 of each by default.

Does that help or have I missed answering the actual question at hand? :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @igazor Thank you! It is the parking spaces in town and on townies lots that interest me. Why does some dispute that they have no matter on the amount of abandoned cars? And no, it wasn't me who posted, I just got curious by this thread and read the info found on cars and overwatch at NRaas, no blame is issued :smile:
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    @Auroraskies - Understood, but this was never really a matter of hot debate or argument, just some mild disagreements because different players do see different things happening in their games. I think most of the disagreements have been on MTS, not on our own site but I actually could be remembering that wrong.

Anyway, one theory is that if you have no parking spaces in town on community lots to begin with then sims are not able to "accidentally" abandon or lose track of their cars in such spaces. I suppose there is some validity to that, it depends on how much seeing inactive households "lose" their own cars, the ones they actually did purchase themselves or the player bought for them, would be distressing. If I happen to notice a real car, not one of the ones there for deco, in a parking space on a community lot and it is a notable/unusual looking car and I think I know who it belongs to, I might try to return it to them if they are at home or nowhere near the lot in question any longer. More often, I just let OW decide on the onesies and twosies like that when the time comes.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    And thank you again @igazor, that must've been what I read long ago. But as you have explained and the info on NRaas states, that now seems a little secondary to the centipede aka bug of thousand limos and ice cream trucks :wink: