Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Laptop requirements--what is enough?

This is what I pulled from the list of recommended system requirements for cats and dogs .

The Sims 4: Cats and Dogs Recommended Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i5-750 or AMD Athlon X4
CPU SPEED: Info
RAM: 4 GB
VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 or better
SOUND CARD: Yes
FREE DISK SPACE: 10 GB

I found a laptop that well under budget that has an Intel Core i5 processor, 8gb memory and GTX 1050 card. Why or why not, is this a good laptop to play on? I have all expansions and stuff packs and play on laptop mode on a system under requirements now and it runs fine.

Comments

• TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Im also confused because I was told 8gb memory is not enough, but last time I read that I dont need more than 8 gb.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited February 2018
    You don't need more than 8gb ram . The laptop specs look fine but what is the hard drive space? I have seen laptops with the specs you posted however some of them have a small hard drive. Do not buy a laptop that only has one hard drive of 256 gb space. you will have issues . you need at least 500 gb hard drive or more

also research the laptop make and model before buying and make sure it has good reviews
    @phoebebebe13 thank you! Its a solid state drive. What are the requirements for that?
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,582 Member
    SSD is like a faster hard drive basically. 256GB might be too small if that is the only one in the computer. But if the computer has a HDD too, then it's okay.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    You need hard drive space to run windows and other programs while still having room for the game.. SSD is just a faster hard drive than HDD. if there is only one hard drive in the laptop with only a 256 gb ssd , you will run out of space quickly to keep adding to this game , . As Dekay said 256 gb hard drive would be fine if the laptop has two hard drives and the second one is a 1tb hard drive. If it has two hard drives , 128 gb ssd on c drive and a 1tb hard drive, you would have to install the game on the second hard drive. You can't game on 128 gb ssd
    Okay, I think this will be my last question. What about 500gb hard drive or 1TB hard drive? I'm seeing a lot of computers listed with those specs.

And some have 500gb+SSD or 1TB+SSD...

@Dekay @phoebebebe13
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    Between 500 and 1TB I don't think it matters, it depends on how many space you need personally.
    If you have more games and photos/files to put on the pc, 1TB is always better, I'm speaking out of own experience.
    If not.... then 500GB should be enough to cover it.
    It depends on if you want to custom install the game or not. You may have to custom install if the laptop has two hard drives and one of those hard drives is a small ssd. They usually put the ssd on C drive for booting windows and other programs quicker. If you don't want to custom install the game, I suggest having a 500 gb hard drive or more space on C drive

agree with what Jean has said above
    Thanks ! Appreciate the tech support! o:)@phoebebebe13 @Jean
    Your very welcome :)
    Also, just to chime in, SSDs are much lighter than HDD.
    832XG3D.gif
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,967 Member
    It depends on if you want to custom install the game or not. You may have to custom install if the laptop has two hard drives and one of those hard drives is a small ssd. They usually put the ssd on C drive for booting windows and other programs quicker. If you don't want to custom install the game, I suggest having a 500 gb hard drive or more space on C drive

I am looking at getting new laptop too, I saw an Asus that has a 1070 card and 256SSD and a 1TB hybrid drive. Are the hybrid drives as good as a regular hard drive? I am going to install the sims on the larger drive. Once I have my daughters boyfriend put my game in the larger drive will I have to do a custom install for each pack I buy and download, or will it automatically know where to go?
    SheriSim57 wrote: »

I am looking at getting new laptop too, I saw an Asus that has a 1070 card and 256SSD and a 1TB hybrid drive. Are the hybrid drives as good as a regular hard drive? I am going to install the sims on the larger drive. Once I have my daughters boyfriend put my game in the larger drive will I have to do a custom install for each pack I buy and download, or will it automatically know where to go?

Yes on the hybird. You can google and get info on hybird hard drive. You can also call Asus directly on the model your looking at and ask questions. Check reviews by googling the laptop model . Check notebook review on the model your looking at to see if others own the specific laptop and speak to them . Wecan only tell you if a laptop meets requirements but not how the laptop runs. If it is known to have heating or any other issues. If the laptop is an Asus Rog , they do have good cooling . I own one but it does not have a hybird hard drive. I have an ssd and an hdd
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,967 Member

Yes on the hybird. You can google and get info on hybird hard drive. You can also call Asus directly on the model your looking at and ask questions. Check reviews by googling the laptop model . Check notebook review on the model your looking at to see if others own the specific laptop and speak to them . Wecan only tell you if a laptop meets requirements but not how the laptop runs. If it is known to have heating or any other issues. If the laptop is an Asus Rog , they do have good cooling . I own one but it does not have a hybird hard drive. I have an ssd and an hdd
    Thank you for responding, I will google that model, thank you so much!

Thank you for responding, I will google that model, thank you so much!

Your very welcome
  • Natalie1603Natalie1603 Posts: 1 New Member
    Intel Pentium CPU N3710 1,60GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics

I can't run it, can I?
  • RicaDavieRicaDavie Posts: 4 New Member
    Hi. I need to get a laptop next month and so far I have about $600 usd saved up. I only need it for sims 4 and to study on. Maybe play a movie here and there. And I wanted to know if this one will run sims 4 on medium to high settings.

Refurbished: DELL Grade B Laptop Inspiron 13-7359 Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6500U (2.50 GHz) 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 520 13.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Home
    Intel Pentium CPU N3710 1,60GHz
    8 GB RAM
    Intel HD Graphics

I can't run it, can I?

This laptop does not meet requirements
    RicaDavie wrote: »
    Hi. I need to get a laptop next month and so far I have about $600 usd saved up. I only need it for sims 4 and to study on. Maybe play a movie here and there. And I wanted to know if this one will run sims 4 on medium to high settings.

Refurbished: DELL Grade B Laptop Inspiron 13-7359 Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6500U (2.50 GHz) 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 520 13.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Home

This does not meet requirements.

On laptop you need specs below

Video card Nvidia GTX 1050, 1050 ti or 1060

Processor: intel i5 or i7 quad core for gaming. These processors will end in HQ or MQ after the series number

Hard drive space 500gb or more. Do not get a laptop with only 256 gb hard drive or you will have space issues for updates and adding things to the game

computer ram 8gb

Also do not buy a refurbished laptop. . If the laptop breaks you may be out of luck replacing hardware. Laptops are throw away computers. I suggest buying new where you get a manufacturers one year warranty and some offer extended warranty for additional fee.

I suggest saving up more money. $600 will not get you a laptop that meets requirements to run this game. This game is not complete. You need to make sure you invest in a laptop that will survive the whole game and all future add ons.
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > RicaDavie wrote: »
    >
    > Hi. I need to get a laptop next month and so far I have about $600 usd saved up. I only need it for sims 4 and to study on. Maybe play a movie here and there. And I wanted to know if this one will run sims 4 on medium to high settings.
    >
    > Refurbished: DELL Grade B Laptop Inspiron 13-7359 Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6500U (2.50 GHz) 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 520 13.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Home
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This does not meet requirements.
    >
    > On laptop you need specs below
    >
    > Video card Nvidia GTX 1050, 1050 ti or 1060
    >
    > Processor: intel i5 or i7 quad core for gaming. These processors will end in HQ or MQ after the series number
    >
    > Hard drive space 500gb or more. Do not get a laptop with only 256 gb hard drive or you will have space issues for updates and adding things to the game
    >
    > computer ram 8gb
    >
    > Also do not buy a refurbished laptop. . If the laptop breaks you may be out of luck replacing hardware. Laptops are throw away computers. I suggest buying new where you get a manufacturers one year warranty and some offer extended warranty for additional fee.
    >
    > I suggest saving up more money. $600 will not get you a laptop that meets requirements to run this game. This game is not complete. You need to make sure you invest in a laptop that will survive the whole game and all future add ons.

What about a 2017 apple MacBook? I have a friend that is willing to let me buy theirs since they won it in a contest but never used it.
    RicaDavie wrote: »
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > RicaDavie wrote: »
    >
    > Hi. I need to get a laptop next month and so far I have about $600 usd saved up. I only need it for sims 4 and to study on. Maybe play a movie here and there. And I wanted to know if this one will run sims 4 on medium to high settings.
    >
    > Refurbished: DELL Grade B Laptop Inspiron 13-7359 Intel Core i7 6th Gen 6500U (2.50 GHz) 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Intel HD Graphics 520 13.3" Touchscreen Windows 10 Home
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This does not meet requirements.
    >
    > On laptop you need specs below
    >
    > Video card Nvidia GTX 1050, 1050 ti or 1060
    >
    > Processor: intel i5 or i7 quad core for gaming. These processors will end in HQ or MQ after the series number
    >
    > Hard drive space 500gb or more. Do not get a laptop with only 256 gb hard drive or you will have space issues for updates and adding things to the game
    >
    > computer ram 8gb
    >
    > Also do not buy a refurbished laptop. . If the laptop breaks you may be out of luck replacing hardware. Laptops are throw away computers. I suggest buying new where you get a manufacturers one year warranty and some offer extended warranty for additional fee.
    >
    > I suggest saving up more money. $600 will not get you a laptop that meets requirements to run this game. This game is not complete. You need to make sure you invest in a laptop that will survive the whole game and all future add ons.

What about a 2017 apple MacBook? I have a friend that is willing to let me buy theirs since they won it in a contest but never used it.

You would need to ask Mac help since the game plays different on Mac. You can ask @BluebellFlora or @Tremayne4260
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    @RicaDavie

Which exact MacBook? 12” MacBook? 13” MacBook Pro? 15” MacBook Pro? Can you provide the exact specs. so we can help you.
    apple-signature.png
  • LuisacartLuisacart Posts: 1 New Member
    If I buy a cooling fan, would this laptop be okay to play the sims 4? I also want to get expansion packs as well..
    Luisacart wrote: »
    If I buy a cooling fan, would this laptop be okay to play the sims 4? I also want to get expansion packs as well..

What's the laptop?
    832XG3D.gif
    I'm sorry but the friend who had the macbook sold it to someone else so I have been looking for another laptop to ask you guys about. What about the Acer aspire 15.6" HD Display Laptop (Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVD, HDMI, WiFi, Bluetooth, Webcam, Windows 10)?