Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Writers' Lounge - For All Games!

Comments

• Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    Not sure if anyone else here was having trouble with this bug but it seems there is now a mod to fix the city living name issue where townies will constantly be spawned with the same set of names. :smiley:

http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=614664
  • Options
    LegacySims2017LegacySims2017 Posts: 5,226 Member
    CathyTea wrote: »
    You know what's so cool about this thread? Since we started it, we can go nuts with as many off-topic posts as we want! Yay! We don't have to worry about boring others! It's a lounge, right? So if our conversation is boring to others, they can listen to the music instead of listening to us! :)

I realize this is totally, like, 3 years old now, but this post shows me this is exactly the right place for me! :lol:

Ah! Yay! How cool that you found that old post and that it made you feel welcoming! Well, it's taken a bit of community-building and also some resilience to move through a whole variety of shifts and dynamics, but I think that, as a community, we've done a great job in maintaining that spirit of the thread!

We want it to be a welcoming, inclusive place, where one can drop by every day or once a year and always feel welcomed!

My online sis, @friendsfan367 , has done an incredible job of promoting that style here! And everyone who participates in the long run also chips in to make it feel really welcoming!

You'll get to know the regulars, who are always here with a kind smile! :)
    You know what's so cool about this thread? Since we started it, we can go nuts with as many off-topic posts as we want! Yay! We don't have to worry about boring others! It's a lounge, right? So if our conversation is boring to others, they can listen to the music instead of listening to us! :)

I realize this is totally, like, 3 years old now, but this post shows me this is exactly the right place for me! :lol:

Love the post! This is basically the only thread on the forums I visit and I'm so grateful it's still active, it's been such a source of comfort for me these past years and I think for many other SimLit fans, too.

Welcome @Faoiltearna !

Yay! This makes me so happy that you love this thread! I'm grateful it's still active, too.

At a time when I got super busy, we had great crew ( @simscognito , @Bugsie2016 , @Shadyboop , @LyricSimsz15 , @LegacySims2017 , @Karilan , @AdamsEve1231 , and many others) who, along with @friendsfan367 , kept the thread alive and welcoming, in its original spirit! That's what it takes to build and maintain community! :)<3

Here's to many more years!

giphy.gif
    Visit LegacySims.net!
    pol-reese.gif
    (Twitter Me: LSims2017)
  • Options
    LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member

Ah! Yay! How cool that you found that old post and that it made you feel welcoming! Well, it's taken a bit of community-building and also some resilience to move through a whole variety of shifts and dynamics, but I think that, as a community, we've done a great job in maintaining that spirit of the thread!

We want it to be a welcoming, inclusive place, where one can drop by every day or once a year and always feel welcomed!

My online sis, @friendsfan367 , has done an incredible job of promoting that style here! And everyone who participates in the long run also chips in to make it feel really welcoming!

Love the post! This is basically the only thread on the forums I visit and I'm so grateful it's still active, it's been such a source of comfort for me these past years and I think for many other SimLit fans, too.

Welcome @Faoiltearna !

Yay! This makes me so happy that you love this thread! I'm grateful it's still active, too.

At a time when I got super busy, we had great crew ( @simscognito , @Bugsie2016 , @Shadyboop , @LyricSimsz15 , @LegacySims2017 , @Karilan , @AdamsEve1231 , and many others) who, along with @friendsfan367 , kept the thread alive and welcoming, in its original spirit! That's what it takes to build and maintain community! :)<3

Yay!! :smiley:
    I'm so happy to have been included :') XD
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
  • Options
    CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member

Welcome @Faoiltearna !

I'm sure I left off important people in the list! I was just reviewing in my mind those whom I've noticed have been really active during the times when I've been especially busy (and especially absent), and you're definitely a key contributor! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options
    ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member

My online sis, friendsfan367 , has done an incredible job of promoting that style here! And everyone who participates in the long run also chips in to make it feel really welcoming!

Welcome @ Faoiltearna !

At a time when I got super busy, we had great crew ( @ simscognito , @ Bugsie2016 , @ Shadyboop , @ LyricSimsz15 , @ LegacySims2017 , @ Karilan , @ AdamsEve1231 , and many others) who, along with @ friendsfan367 , kept the thread alive and welcoming, in its original spirit! That's what it takes to build and maintain community! :)<3

Same! :smiley:
  • Options
    CharmingMaruskaCharmingMaruska Posts: 1,051 Member

Welcome @Faoiltearna !

We certainly are very lucky to have so many great people here! Thank you, guys, for keeping the thread alive :smile:
  • Options
    friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member

i couldn't have done it without you. when we started i could barely make a link now i can make paste and send them to you..and last night i added you to something that said you didn't exsist. trust me i know you do.i'lll add names later to tired to think.
  • Options

Welcome @Faoiltearna !

I'm sure I left off important people in the list! I was just reviewing in my mind those whom I've noticed have been really active during the times when I've been especially busy (and especially absent), and you're definitely a key contributor! :)

madam lee. i remember because she tags you a lot.
  • Options
    TheAemaSimmingTheAemaSimming Posts: 2,684 Member
    @CathyTea Thanks for the advice. I didn't consider the pixel size the actual theme had. I still have a Blogger account for now, but I will definitely look into that. I've been reading through your Wordpress Beginners thread chealsycat set up a few years ago (???) and trying to get enough inspiration to jump back into a wordpress account. My first account, as I mentioned, struggled, so I feel a little burned...

It looks like your blog is set up for images that are 800 px wide. So you might give that a try! Try resizing them at 800--if they still look blurry, try maybe 900 or 1000.

I'm glad you found out WordPress thread! I think it makes it seem more complicated than it is (as instructions tend to do). Many things are pretty intuitive, if one just pokes around.

I'm really happy to help with WordPress, if you ever decide to try again, and lots of folks here are way more experienced than I am, too, and are also eager to help! :)

You are just too sweet, Ms. Tea. Thank you for looking into my blog. I will definitely try the 800 pixels and will update you when I get it right. Thank you so much for your kind words. I did kind of like the way PNG versus JPG look so I may decide to downsize them pixel wise and then simply keep them as PNG (as this is what my laptop naturally saves the screenshots as). Even if I just size them correctly it will save a lot of space.

I have been thinking more and more about moving over to wordpress... I think the only concern I have is I have over 30 legacy posts on my blogger.... and I have no idea what it would take to move the story I have already written over. But the more I work on that story the more the other two ideas I have are nagging me. It's not the best time to start up a new story right now-I took on a research job (I have an BA in Environnmental Biology) and it involves alot of field work so I have officially decided to cut down my uploads to once a week--still I could work on making a new more AemaSimming instead of just McGinnis Legacy blog while I prep for the start of those other stories. Am I crazy for even considering this???
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @Bugsie2016 I also might take you up on the Wordpress help as well. I am pretty good once I get going but one never says no to many helping hands.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Had quiet the adventure today...
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »

What happened? Is everything ok?
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    edited July 2018

@TheAemaSimming Yeah everything ok. But Today's Trip to Toronto (a city near me in Ontario, Canada) was a bit interesting as well as coming home from the local Go Train Station.

We (Mom and I) travel on a bus that travels from Oshawa (I live in Whitby, the next town-which is where we get on) to a bus stop in Toronto and get on the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) bus and go to York Mills (I have no idea what that is) and we were *suppose* to go a 5 min train stop from York Mills to Bloor Street. But apparently they decided to do track work between Lawrence Station (the stop *after* Mom and I got on) and get on a shuttle bus from Lawrence Station to St.Clair Station and then get on a subway to Bloor street. So it should have taken only like 2 hours to get from Whitby to Toronto Downtown but today we didn't end up in Toronto Downton until around lunch time-due to the shuttle bus bussiness.

Getting home- We thought we would be able to get home (after leaving the Go Station) by going down H street to Bu. West street. But the south side of the corner of H and Bu. West Street said "Sidewalk Closed" and we thought we would be able to go down the North Side but apparently at the next corner C and Bu West street-the *entire* street got closed off. So Mom and I had to walk on dirt and then a bit of a person's driveway and back track to K Street and then get to Br Street and then go down it to the corner of Br and Bu East. But last year when last year when H street was closed for work they had a sign down at the corner of Br and Bu East saying "H Street is closed for construction" but there is no notice about that C and to H is closed off at all.

Mom and I are so grateful that 1)We didn't have the bundle buggy or 2)We didn't wear sandals today

But the Museum exhibit about spiders and the Play (King&I) were quiet interesting
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options

You are just too sweet, Ms. Tea. Thank you for looking into my blog. I will definitely try the 800 pixels and will update you when I get it right. Thank you so much for your kind words. I did kind of like the way PNG versus JPG look so I may decide to downsize them pixel wise and then simply keep them as PNG (as this is what my laptop naturally saves the screenshots as). Even if I just size them correctly it will save a lot of space.

I have been thinking more and more about moving over to wordpress... I think the only concern I have is I have over 30 legacy posts on my blogger.... and I have no idea what it would take to move the story I have already written over. But the more I work on that story the more the other two ideas I have are nagging me. It's not the best time to start up a new story right now-I took on a research job (I have an BA in Environnmental Biology) and it involves alot of field work so I have officially decided to cut down my uploads to once a week--still I could work on making a new more AemaSimming instead of just McGinnis Legacy blog while I prep for the start of those other stories. Am I crazy for even considering this???

First, I'm so excited that you have a BA in Environmental Biology and that you took on a research job! That's so cool! My BA is in Environmental Studies, Natural History pathway! My undergrad years were SO fun with so much field work. Loved it! And it really shaped my perspective for all of my life! :)

As for the idea of considering other stories... I don't think it's silly to consider! It's great to consider new things! :)

Like you say, you could keep the McGinnis Legacy where it is for now, with the idea that you could move it over later, if you wanted, and then create a new blog for your AemaSimming anthology, where your other stories could live. And there would be no hurry... when you get a spare hour, you could create the WordPress blog, then, at your leisure, select the theme and begin playing around with the other stories. With WordPress, you can have chapters in draft (I've got over 52 drafts currently waiting! Eeks.), so you can add photos, write bits and pieces, and it'll be there later when you're ready!

For me, my procedure is to hold off on stories until not writing them becomes an annoyance. It gets to a point where the ideas are so persistent that they interfere with other parts of my life. Then, I know I need to start writing them.

I am also always taking on new stories at busy times, it seems... Hmmm. That's why I have so many stories in progress and a few on hold. :/ For me, the "new" energy really feeds everything I do--life is more fun, and even my jobs feel more interesting when there's new stuff I'm thinking of. But at the same time, it's nice to feel a balance.

For me, this summer, I've decided to have a "minimal goal" and when I reach that, then I've met the weekly goal! Anything more is bonus and extra. My minimal goal during the summer is to write a Sunday poem and two chapters of Summer House each week. This works because I can do it during the weekend, and that lets me just daydream about the story and poem during the week. This way, when I'm tired at the end of the day or need to just chill or want to geek out over GOT7 during the evenings on weekdays, I can! And I can still meet the goal with a little bit of weekend writing.

I've had much more ambitious goals previously, but this is working great for me now, and it's helping me to keep the fun in the writing!

Question for all: What goals have you been able to establish for your writing and for your Simming that are sustainable while also meeting your needs for creativity and fun? How do you balance between manageable goals and too-ambitious goals?

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • Options

Yeah everything ok. But Today's Trip to Toronto (a city near me in Ontario, Canada) was a bit interesting as well as coming home from the local Go Train Station.

We (Mom and I) travel on a bus that travels from Oshawa (I live in Whitby, the next town-which is where we get on) to a bus stop in Toronto and get on the TTC (Toronto Transit Commission) bus and go to York Mills (I have no idea what that is) and we were *suppose* to go a 5 min train stop from York Mills to Bloor Street. But apparently they decided to do track work between Lawrence Station (the stop *after* Mom and I got on) and get on a shuttle bus from Lawrence Station to St.Clair Station and then get on a subway to Bloor street. So it should have taken only like 2 hours to get from Whitby to Toronto Downtown but today we didn't end up in Toronto Downton until around lunch time-due to the shuttle bus bussiness.

Getting home- We thought we would be able to get home (after leaving the Go Station) by going down H street to Bu. West street. But the south side of the corner of H and Bu. West Street said "Sidewalk Closed" and we thought we would be able to go down the North Side but apparently at the next corner C and Bu West street-the *entire* street got closed off. So Mom and I had to walk on dirt and then a bit of a person's driveway and back track to K Street and then get to Br Street and then go down it to the corner of Br and Bu East. But last year when last year when H street was closed for work they had a sign down at the corner of Br and Bu East saying "H Street is closed for construction" but there is no notice about that C and to H is closed off at all.

Mom and I are so grateful that 1)We didn't have the bundle buggy or 2)We didn't wear sandals today

But the Museum exhibit about spiders and the Play (King&I) were quiet interesting

Sounds like a wonderful adventure! I'm a big fan of spiders, so I'm really interested in the exhibit, and I'm glad you got to see a play! :)

• Options
    Hello, all!

Checking in between a busy weekend of work and getting ready to leave. I hope you're all well!

Hi, Rosey! :)

Hiya @CathyTea. How are you doing? Is your summer garden in full bloom, yet??

Hiya, @aroseinbloom ! I'm doing well! The garden is just beginning to bloom again. We had a rainy day today, rain each day this past week, and finally, after six weeks of the temps being over 100 with no rain at all, we're back with weather that plants can live in! :) Even the cactii get a little shriveled during May and June. But summer rains come to the rescue! If the rains continue, we'll have lots of flowers and butterflies in a few weeks!

How's your beautiful part of the country doing?

• Options

@TheAemaSimming Yeah everything ok. But Today's Trip to Toronto (a city near me in Ontario, Canada) was a bit interesting as well as coming home from the local Go Train Station.

An adventure indeed.

Funny enough I live near a Ontario, CA as well.. Ontario, California. So I have to admit I am a little lost on all the names but I trust you that it was a long journey. I'm sorry that it was so harrowing in between trying to get where you are going. Still it shows how determined you were to get to where you were going that you and your mother never gave up and at least the play was good.

I love the King & I... although recently I keep getting "Getting to Know You" stuck in my head thanks to a certain simmer *gives side eye to @LegacySims2017* But it a wonderful musical. I love all musicals really, chalk it up to being in theater in high school. It's where I met my fiance actually.

So cheers to an adventure and may the next one be planned. :)
  • Options

First, I'm so excited that you have a BA in Environmental Biology and that you took on a research job! That's so cool! My BA is in Environmental Studies, Natural History pathway! My undergrad years were SO fun with so much field work. Loved it! And it really shaped my perspective for all of my life! :)

As for the idea of considering other stories... I don't think it's silly to consider! It's great to consider new things! :)

Like you say, you could keep the McGinnis Legacy where it is for now, with the idea that you could move it over later, if you wanted, and then create a new blog for your AemaSimming anthology, where your other stories could live. And there would be no hurry... when you get a spare hour, you could create the WordPress blog, then, at your leisure, select the theme and begin playing around with the other stories. With WordPress, you can have chapters in draft (I've got over 52 drafts currently waiting! Eeks.), so you can add photos, write bits and pieces, and it'll be there later when you're ready!

For me, my procedure is to hold off on stories until not writing them becomes an annoyance. It gets to a point where the ideas are so persistent that they interfere with other parts of my life. Then, I know I need to start writing them.

I am also always taking on new stories at busy times, it seems... Hmmm. That's why I have so many stories in progress and a few on hold. :/ For me, the "new" energy really feeds everything I do--life is more fun, and even my jobs feel more interesting when there's new stuff I'm thinking of. But at the same time, it's nice to feel a balance.

For me, this summer, I've decided to have a "minimal goal" and when I reach that, then I've met the weekly goal! Anything more is bonus and extra. My minimal goal during the summer is to write a Sunday poem and two chapters of Summer House each week. This works because I can do it during the weekend, and that lets me just daydream about the story and poem during the week. This way, when I'm tired at the end of the day or need to just chill or want to geek out over GOT7 during the evenings on weekdays, I can! And I can still meet the goal with a little bit of weekend writing.

I've had much more ambitious goals previously, but this is working great for me now, and it's helping me to keep the fun in the writing!

Question for all: What goals have you been able to establish for your writing and for your Simming that are sustainable while also meeting your needs for creativity and fun? How do you balance between manageable goals and too-ambitious goals?

52? I felt so proud when I had back written 6 of my legacy post before I even began to publish.... I wish I could be so prepared... well, I guess they aren't all polished and ready to publish.

But still. I think that you have made some valid points. I've decided. I will begin the first steps! These other stories are becoming quite insistent as it is... and it is so bothersome when characters thoughts are buzzing in my head when I am supposed to be taking tree measurements. It's an urban tree research, comparing how they grow with Biochar versus not. I'm still adapting to the plant part of it as I primarily studied animals and their environmental adaptation prior to this. But at least trees remain still and cooperate when you are photographing them. Lol

[My previous research for my senior thesis was fish coloration and it is so difficult to get good pictures of tiny fish (they were less than 3 inches) without having to literally kill them humanely. But my professor and I worked very hard to create a technique that worked for our purposes and I happily never had to commit fish murder in the name of science.]

Excited to see how everyone else responds to you bold question.
  • Options
    FaoiltearnaFaoiltearna Posts: 767 Member

Right now, my goals are pretty simple. Catch the story up to the game. I started the challenge first, with no intent of story, but then one afternoon, there it was. Story, fully fleshed out - to a certain point - and needing to be written (seriously, it was keeping me awake at night). I'm much further into the game than the current chapters would lead you to believe, so now I'm trying to get them close enough to sync up. So I'm writing much more than playing right now. Once that's done, I'll be setting two chapters a week for this story, and one a week for whichever other story demands telling at the time. That'll be my goal at this rate anyway. That way I can still play my game, and still create art - which is the other thing that will fully suck me in and wipe away all existence of time if I don't set some parameters.

I burn out if I don't set manageable goals, a thing which I've discovered in the past with art, all fibering things (I knit, spin, and crochet), and writing. If I push to 'Do ALL the Things!' I wind up doing none of the things. So, I've learned to fine tune things. If my initial goal is too much, then I'll go to one chapter a week for The Underwood Decision, and one chapter for whichever other one.
  • Options
    MunterbaconMunterbacon Posts: 5,082 Member
    Happy Timezones all! :blush:

I'm about to head off to bed, but I thought I'd drop off an Ironbound chapter before I go! :D

Chapter 146: 00:02:36:58
    scanningforlife.jpg?w=833
    dustshaela.jpg
    Origin ID: Munter_Bacon
    Ironbound (end of season break) | STRIKE! (currently updating) | The Colours of my Heart (on hiatus)
  • Options
    uestion for all: What goals have you been able to establish for your writing and for your Simming that are sustainable while also meeting your needs for creativity and fun? How do you balance between manageable goals and too-ambitious goals?

my goal is to just tell a story about a family. sometimes they behave like a normal everyday family other times i get a passionate reader whos shocked they acted differnt. not you this time. jes. i love you both because i'm challenged by both of you but i had to adjust to passionate reader thing. i love noel and lauren very much but because i followed them the one tie in all the attempts they decied to challenge me it was a giant adjustment. but i gave in not because i agreed but they never ask for change.

and except for the fact that poor jagger my need a child phyxcoligist because he saw something he wasn't meant too it was fun.

the noel /lauren thing was hard to write but i kept thinking except in the made up backstory they don't see other people so would they regret that later like when their elders . i didn't want them to hate each other because i forced them together.
  • Options
    StoriedStormStoriedStorm Posts: 3,004 Member
    edited July 2018
    Reposted this due to technical difficulties
    Post edited by StoriedStorm on
  • Options
    ShadamiShadami Posts: 4,353 Member
    I don't really have any set goals per say. But once I've had a play session I won't play it again until I've gotten the parts released from the play session.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top