Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

TS2 crashes-Thread for Boyfriend

lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
Boyfriend-
Hi there I work full time and have too much of a life to post 30 comments and collect points but I have an issue i seemingly cant solve. Sims 2 UC crashes on my win10 system whenever entering CAS or a lot. I've tried no cc, the 4gb patch, graphics rules marker, setting up a memory dump task, running in various comparability modes, run as admin, run in window, run in and out of origin, it STILL consistently crashes. This game is my youth I want desperately to be able to play it and i have tried EVERYTHING. Please please help!

@Boyfriend, here is a thread that I've created for you to try and get help. Hopefully someone can help you with your issue... ;)

@Cinebar, @JULES1111, thank you if you can help this member... :)

Comments

• BoyfriendBoyfriend Posts: 19 Member
    Thank you so much for posting for me! I really have tried everything google will spit at me. I've even got TS1 running on my pc and im totally stumped. What I need specifically is if someone can tell me how to diagnose why the game is actually crashing and figure out how to fix it.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    You're welcome @boyfriend... :) I hope someone can help you figure out what is going with your game and how to fix so that you can play your game... :)
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I'm actually having the same issue. It loads fine but once I try and play a family it crashes. Hopefully someone has a solution.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Howdy! First check to make sure the graphics rules worked correctly. With some of the later graphic cards the files must be edited by hand also. You can find instructions for editing by hand here: http://simlili.tumblr.com/post/146373494212

Also make sure you go into your CSconfig file (right under the config file) and rename the graphic rules and video card files in the CSConfig file. You can just add a .old at the end so the game will not read it. Next COPY not cut, the graphic rules and video card files from the Config folder and put them in the CSConfig folder. ( Once you are sure the files in the Config folder are right)

You can also check out this video by TheJessaChannel to stop windows from hogging all the unused memory. http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
    Thanks I'll check those files tonight. Jessas suggestion was actually the memory dump task I mentioned so unfortunately that didnt do it for me. :cry:
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    If you set up your Graphics Rule Config and CSConfig files correclty and it's a lot or CAS crashing just a few silly questions from me. Did you put back in old saves? And or old Lot Catalog files and or old Saved Sims files. If you did I would remove those and see if the game loads into a lot or CAS. But Jules is right the first step is to double and triple check the Graphics Rule Maker setup your video card/chip correctly. And if your system (even if a new one) meets the demands of all EPs and Stuff packs installed. I'm under the belief even if your processers are 2.5 you still need a better processer even if a new machine. TS2 is highly intensive graphically and sometimes I lag with 3.5 processers but I have a lot of heavy poly cc installed.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    I haven't ever been able to enter a lot with the exception of once for a minute so nope no saves yet.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited July 2018
    When you start the game it creates a Save file in your Documents folders (starting the game means you Have save files even if it crashes).

When you say you tried without CC does that mean you Had CC the first time? Does it mean you removed the CC and tried again? Does it mean you started a new Save file by renaming the EA Games folder in your Documents and trying?

When you say you tried with and without Origin does that mean you have the game installed without Origin for some strange reason thought you would turn on Origin to see if it would influence your game? Or does it mean you have the Newest version of The Sims Ultimate Collection through Origin (which you would have to have Origin on to even start) and you tried signing into Origin to start it?

When you tried all those things, did keep messing with the game files or did you reinstall each time? Have you done a combination or things different things or ...what?

If you've tried Everything and nothing works, then nothing will work. It's so hard when you say you did everything and we can't really see or walk you through the steps.

How many time have you reinstalled it? Have you cleaned your Registry after uninstalling it? Have you tried fixing it through Origin (but not fixing the config files after?)?

I have no problem running the TS2UC on my Win10 laptop through the old download (no Origin required to run).

*Every time the game crashes it creates log files in the Log folder- EA Games/Documents.
    What does it say?
    **You can delete the crash log files.
    Post edited by Rflong7 on
    Yikes. That was a little condescending. I hope it makes you feel bigger.

This is UC so there is no folder from which I can re-copy the neighborhood after deleting it if that's what you're referring to as my save.

I have the latest version so no origin at all is not an option. I am however capable of clicking the shortcut on my desktop as opposed to launching to the game from origin.

As for the solutions I tried I DID list them, you've just assumed that I lack the capacity to try them one by one and yes, I have. The game has been uninstalled or repaired after each attempt with the exception of the task dump. What would actually be helpful is if someone could look at my crash log and tell me what it means. I don't need to be spoken to like a child and if you had nothing helpful to contribute why comment?
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Boyfriend wrote: »
    Yikes. That was a little condescending. I hope it makes you feel bigger.

This is UC so there is no folder from which I can re-copy the neighborhood after deleting it if that's what you're referring to as my save.

I have the latest version so no origin at all is not an option. I am however capable of clicking the shortcut on my desktop as opposed to launching to the game from origin.

As for the solutions I tried I DID list them, you've just assumed that I lack the capacity to try them one by one and yes, I have. The game has been uninstalled or repaired after each attempt with the exception of the task dump. What would actually be helpful is if someone could look at my crash log and tell me what it means. I don't need to be spoken to like a child and if you had nothing helpful to contribute why comment?

You'd actually be surprised at the number of people who don't do the simple steps that you would think would be obvious.

It's why every tech help place will always start with the obvious answers: restart the computer, check to make sure things are plugged in, reinstall, etc.

I built my current computer from scratch with my brother who works in IT and I'm relatively knowledgeable myself. We plug stuff up and I decide to take it home to install the OS and everything else because that can take a while and it was already late by that point. I turn it on and enters a perpetual attempt to boot cycle. I try swapping out fans as I'm not hearing a fan go off and nothing is working. At this point, I'm thinking I've got a DOA motherboard or something.

The problem: we assumed we had everything plugged in properly. We forgot one power cord to the motherboard. Once that was corrected, the computer launched as normal.

So you can't even assume the obvious steps have been done by people who are knowledgeable about tech.

Rflong listing out the obvious steps is not condescending.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    No, I'm not being condescending- I'm trying to be more specific.
    No, I'm not. I'm referring to the the Save files created in your Documents folder when you start the game.
    Documents\EA Games - this is what happens even on a Win10 computer. :)

The neighborhood files are on your computer in your Program folders if you ever need to get a deleted neighborhood.

Renaming your EA Games folder in your Documents will force the game to recreate your saved game files. Which is great if you don't want to loose your Downloads but want to create without it (or start different games with different DLs such as medieval)
    Do you not see an EA Games folder in your Documents? :(
    Origin has changed all of the folder names. Since getting home I've uninstalled sims 2 UC, deleted all remaining folders, cleaned my registry, restarted the computer, reinstalled TS2 UC, set it to run in XP SP3, windowed, and as administrator. Once it finished setting up I selected Pleasentview and loaded Don Lotharios lot. It crashed during loading as it did before. So with everything completely squeeky clean this is what my crash log said:

Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.

I've looked online and other people have had the issue but there seems to be no indication of where the violation is happening or why.
  • Toz91Toz91 Posts: 117 Member
    I used to play Sims 2 on older machines, but I think I got a similar error once on a newer windows, so, perhaps Sims 2 doesn't work on newer windows. I play a lot of games and many of my old games don't play on windows 7 and up.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2018
    Boyfriend wrote: »
    Origin has changed all of the folder names. Since getting home I've uninstalled sims 2 UC, deleted all remaining folders, cleaned my registry, restarted the computer, reinstalled TS2 UC, set it to run in XP SP3, windowed, and as administrator. Once it finished setting up I selected Pleasentview and loaded Don Lotharios lot. It crashed during loading as it did before. So with everything completely squeeky clean this is what my crash log said:

Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.

I've looked online and other people have had the issue but there seems to be no indication of where the violation is happening or why.

Have you ran the Graphic Rule Maker as suggested? If you did there was no reason to set it as compatible with XP. TS2UC runs in Windows 7 and Windows 10. But the game is old so it thinks any processor or video card created after 2008 is not good enough. Because it doesn't know about newer processors and video chips and cards. That is why you have to follow all the instructions in the Graphic Rule Maker for this game. None of us can play it anymore without the Graphic Rule Maker changing the Config and CSConfig files, because we all have newer machines since 2008.

ETA: Set up The Graphic Rule Maker Jules told you to do. It should fix all your problems.

ETA: The Access Violation error will always say that when a TS2 crashes. It's a generic reason. The reason you are crashing is because you haven't run or set up the Graphic Rule Maker.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.