Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Selling/Giving Away Pets

JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
I know there were some questions about how this would work. I just tested it out and, in both the case of selling and putting a pet up for adoption, someone from adoption services just came and took them away.....there is no option to sell or give the animal to a specific household.

Also, you can only sell puppies and kittens....any age can be given up for adoption.

In both cases, the pet ended up in their own household which was "not in this world". It's not a playable household...still testing to see if the pet ends up being a stray out in the world. Through household management, you could merge them into another household...although they will add their $20,000 in household money to the new household. Probably just easier to transfer them to the new household through household management in the first place...for example, if you were going to breed puppies and kittens and wanted them placed with other families and still in your game.

Btw, if you sell or give away a pet, the whole household will get a major sad mood...sobbing all around the house. To test it out, I gave away their cat and they all got depressed....even their dog got sad and needed comfort. No sad moodlets if you just use household management to transfer to the pet to another family....need the actual adoption or sale process to trigger the sad moodlets. However, they didn't get sad about selling the puppy I created....they hadn't met him yet....so I don't think you'd get the sad moodlets if you sold newly born puppies or kittens before your sims become friends with them.

Comments

• InvisibleaesInvisibleaes Posts: 1,526 Member
    This is good to know!
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Thank you for telling us! I was afraid the given away pets might poof into nothingness, but that worry can be put to rest now.
    Also knowing household management can be used to shuffle pets around just like we can do with sims makes me a very happy camper.
  • Chomper88Chomper88 Posts: 32 Member
    How much money do you get for selling the puppies / kittens? I know in the gurus said that it wasn't a lot.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited November 2017
    Chomper88 wrote: »
    How much money do you get for selling the puppies / kittens? I know in the gurus said that it wasn't a lot.

I got 540 for selling the puppy.....then 420 for selling a kitten. So looks like there is some variance.
  • amber_rayeamber_raye Posts: 11 New Member
    Have you gotten a neglect notice when selling a puppy? I have only bred dogs, so no idea on kittens, but when I sell a puppy the adoption service comes to take it away and gives money for it. Then I get a notice that due to neglect it was adopted by such and such family.
  • amber_rayeamber_raye Posts: 11 New Member
    Nevermind, it seems to be an issue with a mod I have. :) Hopefully it will be updated soon and I won't get that notice anymore. Thought I was doing something wrong when selling them.
    amber_raye wrote: »
    Nevermind, it seems to be an issue with a mod I have. :) Hopefully it will be updated soon and I won't get that notice anymore. Thought I was doing something wrong when selling them.

Yeah, I definitely didn't get any messages like that. Glad to hear you figured out the problem.
  • ChristineneneChristinenene Posts: 1 New Member
    Maybe they only get the sad moodlet if they give away a dog, when the sim is a dog lover, and probably the same with cats and cat lovers? Idk, but my sim got sad, because of selling a puppy and he's a dog lover.
    Maybe they only get the sad moodlet if they give away a dog, when the sim is a dog lover, and probably the same with cats and cat lovers? Idk, but my sim got sad, because of selling a puppy and he's a dog lover.

No, that doesn't appear to have any impact. None of the 4 people in my household had dog or cat lover traits. They all got sad moodlets when I gave away the family cat. But they didn't get sad moodlets from giving away a newly created puppy that none of them had met yet. It was the same household.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »

No, that doesn't appear to have any impact. None of the 4 people in my household had dog or cat lover traits. They all got sad moodlets when I gave away the family cat. But they didn't get sad moodlets from giving away a newly created puppy that none of them had met yet. It was the same household.

Only my Cat Lovers got the sad moodlet in my game when I was selling the kittens. Perhaps you had a bug? I am glad only the "lovers" had the sad moodlet.
    edited November 2017
    alan650111 wrote: »

Only my Cat Lovers got the sad moodlet in my game when I was selling the kittens. Perhaps you had a bug? I am glad only the "lovers" had the sad moodlet.

Nope...it wasn't a kitten. It was an adult cat that the family had since he was a kitten. This was the family pet.....not a brand new kitten. Pretty sure it would be intended that if you give away the family pet that has lived in the house with the family for 20+ sim days and has reached "friend" level relationships with all of the household members, they should be sad....definitely not a bug.

By contrast, when I added a new puppy to the household and immediately gave him away, nobody got sad....as they shouldn't have since no one had formed a relationship with the new puppy yet.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »

Nope...it wasn't a kitten. It was an adult cat that the family had since he was a kitten. This was the family pet.....not a brand new kitten. Pretty sure it would be intended that if you give away the family pet that has lived in the house with the family for 20+ sim days and has reached "friend" level relationships with all of the household members, they should be sad....definitely not a bug.

By contrast, when I added a new puppy to the household and immediately gave him away, nobody got sad....as they shouldn't have since no one had formed a relationship with the new puppy yet.

Ohhh gotcha. This makes sense then. My bad. That definitely isn't a bug.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    its not something I would do In game I will not use this feature even if the sims is a game I kind of find this cruel to get rid of pets even if its a game.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • LilRed38LilRed38 Posts: 7 New Member
    I have a question for those that have sold their puppies or kittens.

I decided to see what happens when breeding and got 4 puppies out of the deed.

I decided to sell my puppies and the agency came for them but, when I tried to leave for work the next day it says I can't because the adoption is still in process and a sims is still supposedly leaving the house? The adoption can't be taking that long can it?
  • simmerlyrosesimmerlyrose Posts: 196 Member
    edited March 2018
    LilRed38 wrote: »
    I have a question for those that have sold their puppies or kittens.

I decided to see what happens when breeding and got 4 puppies out of the deed.

I decided to sell my puppies and the agency came for them but, when I tried to leave for work the next day it says I can't because the adoption is still in process and a sims is still supposedly leaving the house? The adoption can't be taking that long can it?
    Did the Sim picking up the puppies leave the lot? I've only sold pets once, and I can't remember exactly what happened but I do remember it took longer than I thought it would. Kind of weird that it won't let you leave for work though
    heart_tilt_bullet_by_kicked_in_teeth-dbwilsm.gif
    > @simmerlyrose said:
    > LilRed38 wrote: »
    >
    > I have a question for those that have sold their puppies or kittens.
    >
    > I decided to see what happens when breeding and got 4 puppies out of the deed.
    >
    > I decided to sell my puppies and the agency came for them but, when I tried to leave for work the next day it says I can't because the adoption is still in process and a sims is still supposedly leaving the house? The adoption can't be taking that long can it?
    >
    >
    >
    > Did the Sim picking up the puppies leave the lot? I've only sold pets once, and I can't remember exactly what happened but I do remember it took longer than I thought it would. Kind of weird that it won't let you leave for work though

I waited 2 sims days and still couldn't leave or save my game since a "sim" was still leaving the house. The adoption agent came to the house twice and, I couldn't click on her to initiate any action either time.

I tried two time first time I got four puppies and I never even noticed the agent so I just exited without saving. The second time I got only one puppy and that is when I saw the agent. I tried clicking on her and no actions available then she disappeared only to come back a little later (same day) with same results.
    Make sure your front door isn’t locked so they can get in and out of the house to pick up and take the puppy or kitten.
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    edited April 2018
    Ooh, this is news that they show up in their own household! I checked and couldn't seem to find them when I did it, so I've been reluctant to sell or give up any pets since. But, my household management has been super clogged and hard to sort through since they did that update and now there's all these ghost households...and households of sims that USED to be ghosts and are now just...idk...there?

edit: all right, I tested this and I don't think it worked. Are you sure they end up in household management? Cause I couldn't find any pets I gave for adoption there.
    Post edited by FanPhoria on
    > @JimG72 said:
    > Make sure your front door isn’t locked so they can get in and out of the house to pick up and take the puppy or kitten.

I actually didn't think of that lol but, it makes sense. I mean the puppy dissappeared but, I didn't think about the person needing in the house to finish the deal,
  • swordsoulreaverswordsoulreaver Posts: 2 New Member
    I gave away my two puppies as soon as they were born, then real me got sad for some reason and I looked in the adoption menu and got them back. Just the way they howl and bark is so cute, and my other dogs were also nuzzling them and stuff, and it made me sad getting rid of them.
  • SimCherSimCher Posts: 41 Member
    I have 2 neighbor sims who are good friends. One has a female Border Collie and the other has the male Border Collie So two puppies were born and I want one to go to the male dogs owners. Can the sims who have the female dog who had puppies just give her friend the other pup or sell it to her? Do I need a mod for this? Thanks! :)
    edited June 2018
    SimCher wrote: »
    I have 2 neighbor sims who are good friends. One has a female Border Collie and the other has the male Border Collie So two puppies were born and I want one to go to the male dogs owners. Can the sims who have the female dog who had puppies just give her friend the other pup or sell it to her? Do I need a mod for this? Thanks! :)

@SimCher The easiest way to do that is to go into the "Manage Households" screen from the world map and then use the "Transfer Sims Between Households" option for the household that has the puppies and then you can transfer one of the puppies to the other household.
  • SimCherSimCher Posts: 41 Member
    > @JimG72 said:
    > SimCher wrote: »
    >
    > I have 2 neighbor sims who are good friends. One has a female Border Collie and the other has the male Border Collie So two puppies were born and I want one to go to the male dogs owners. Can the sims who have the female dog who had puppies just give her friend the other pup or sell it to her? Do I need a mod for this? Thanks! :)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > @SimCher The easiest way to do that is to go into the "Manage Households" screen from the world map and then use the "Transfer Sims Between Households" option for the household that has the puppies and then you can transfer one of the puppies to the other household.

Thank you so much. :smiley:
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,660 Member
    edited November 2018
    Wondering if the "take away service" is bugged? My sim tested to sell a puppy, she got §350 (expected more, but ok), but the adoption person never left the lot. My sim could not interact with her either. I had to close my game without saving, which was what I intended to do anyway, but if selling pets don't work, I'll just not do it again...

Edit: Also, I expected to get more for a trained puppy than a newborn, but it seems that the earning is totally random? The 350-puppy even had learned to pee outside.

Edit2: Tried a few more times. Another puppy, much younger, also brought in §350,- so perhaps it's a new standard fee. The adoption person worked properly on the two new tests, I was able to save my game with no plunder, and the process was even rather effective.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg