Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sometimes I feel bad for the creators..

hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
Probably an unpopular opinion but I often feel bad them because of the slack they catch. It seems like they try to offer so much for people to only want more. idk...I guess I feel as though sometime they cant catch a break.
2llotup.jpg
The Best of Hunni's Builds
Feel free to follow my builds!!!!!!:)

Comments

• WinthorpeWinthorpe Posts: 119 Member
    If you have been in the high performance computing class (C#, Java, C++, etc) there are a lot to debug and that is a pain of computing. It's work and there is no error but the results are completely wrong.
  • hunniboo1hunniboo1 Posts: 1,510 Member
    Winthorpe wrote: »
    If you have been in the high performance computing class (C#, Java, C++, etc) there are a lot to debug and that is a pain of computing. It's work and there is no error but the results are completely wrong.

I can only imagine
    2llotup.jpg
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member

Did you start with The Sims, The Sims 2, The Sims 3 or The Sims 4?

I ask because most of those who have been around since 2000 or 2004 has a clear distinction of what The Sims is to them. And apparently, TS4 does not deliver based on a common but excluded system in TS4. Which is the whole purpose of a game series to improve what is already there especially fan favorite gameplay elements and to advance into new but worthwhile gameplay mechanics.

Did TS4 improve or advance compared to TS3? No, not at all. And I'm referring to huge gameplay mechanics, not small features.
    What did happen was a huge step back between the years 2000 and 2004. Which TS2 still trumps TS4 because it started as a life simulator, has much to offer coming from TS and is a complete base game with complete EP's along with SP's. No nickel and diming for low quality content and little quantity.

I have been playing all kinds of video games since I was 4 or 5 years old. So over the years I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to how other game developers proceed with their game series and what is and is not acceptable. A lot of ignorance I notice is based on "The Sims is the only game I play and/or I play mobile/FB games." Which are mostly for casual gamers. And that's another reason why TS4 gets so much tough love. Because The Sims as a whole was always about a game for everyone. Hardcore gamers, casual gamers and newcomers. But no longer as the hardcore players were kicked to the curb.

So, if you were on the other end, you would be speaking up too about something you cared about and wanted to see go back to it's real roots as a growing improving, advancing foundation. Though, anything now will fall on deaf's ears because, "Action speaks louder than words."

Of course, even with TS4 being mediocre there are some who genuinely love the game and that's fine. A monopoly on this caliber of life simulation is not going to have me putting up with just any thing. Gaming is a hobby, not a necessity. I'll be looking forward to many great games to come from other game developers.
    Overcooked 2
    The Last of Us 2
    Resident Evil 2
    Death Stranding
    Jump Force
    Beyond Good and Evil 2
    Kingdom Hearts 3
    Dying Light 2
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    Shenmue 1 and 2 rerelease
    Shenmue 3
    The Quiet Man
    Fallout 76
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    Devil May Cry 5
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    Pokémon Let's go Pickachu/Eevee
    Mario Tennis Aces
    Super Mario Party
    Etc.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Did you start with The Sims, The Sims 2, The Sims 3 or The Sims 4?

I ask because most of those who have been around since 2000 or 2004 has a clear distinction of what The Sims is to them. And apparently, TS4 does not deliver based on a common but excluded system in TS4. Which is the whole purpose of a game series to improve what is already there especially fan favorite gameplay elements and to advance into new but worthwhile gameplay mechanics.

Did TS4 improve or advance compared to TS3? No, not at all. And I'm referring to huge gameplay mechanics, not small features.
    What did happen was a huge step back between the years 2000 and 2004. Which TS2 still trumps TS4 because it started as a life simulator, has much to offer coming from TS and is a complete base game with complete EP's along with SP's. No nickel and diming for low quality content and little quantity.

I have been playing all kinds of video games since I was 4 or 5 years old. So over the years I have quite a bit of experience when it comes to how other game developers proceed with their game series and what is and is not acceptable. A lot of ignorance I notice is based on "The Sims is the only game I play and/or I play mobile/FB games." Which are mostly for casual gamers. And that's another reason why TS4 gets so much tough love. Because The Sims as a whole was always about a game for everyone. Hardcore gamers, casual gamers and newcomers. But no longer as the hardcore players were kicked to the curb.

So, if you were on the other end, you would be speaking up too about something you cared about and wanted to see go back to it's real roots as a growing improving, advancing foundation. Though, anything now will fall on deaf's ears because, "Action speaks louder than words."

Of course, even with TS4 being mediocre there are some who genuinely love the game and that's fine. A monopoly on this caliber of life simulation is not going to have me putting up with just any thing. Gaming is a hobby, not a necessity. I'll be looking forward to many great games to come from other game developers.
    Overcooked 2
    The Last of Us 2
    Resident Evil 2
    Death Stranding
    Jump Force
    Beyond Good and Evil 2
    Kingdom Hearts 3
    Dying Light 2
    Ghost of Tsushima
    Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
    Shenmue 1 and 2 rerelease
    Shenmue 3
    The Quiet Man
    Fallout 76
    Cyberpunk 2077
    Shadow of the Tomb Raider
    Devil May Cry 5
    Assassin's Creed Odyssey
    Pokémon Let's go Pickachu/Eevee
    Mario Tennis Aces
    Super Mario Party
    Etc.

Excuse any typos I make as I am on my phone lol. Anyways to answer your question yes I have been playing the Sims every since the first version was ever released. I have played just about every single one that has been released. I am one of those players who is content with the game. Yes we expect any glitches and bugs to be fixed. When I said they cant catch a break I mean this for example...Many people voice their opinions(as they have the right to) about things they want to see in game. The developers add it but then that's not good enough they want. So that's why I say they cannot catch a break. They are working hard and doing their best. Nothing is perfect and we got to stop expecting it to be. Yes there is always room for improvement, but I guess it's like you say it all depends on the player's view of what the Sims is and how it should be.

Oh and I grew up gaming as well..I was the little sister who came home racing my brothers to the game systems first lol.
    2llotup.jpg
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    I know developers shouldn't get too much dislike, but it was clear Sims 4 was rushed for release.
    Look at all the expansions they've done 4 time already like Sims 1 Unleashed and Sims 4 pets. It's clear their main priority is just rushing out the game to sell content they cut back to us.
    Even the Sims 2 was bad with it, the base game trailer for it explicity shown weather... Later a expansion pack.

The Sims 4 needed updates to readd huge features back that could of been there from the beginning like ghost and toddler. They could of delayed the release instead to polish it.

As much as I feel bad for the creators sometimes, lets not forget they were rushed into releasing it and decided to keep churning out content for us to buy inorder to get the complete game.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • ReksohReksoh Posts: 303 Member
    When people complain i think most of it is directed towards EA and not to the developers. I think most people know the developers try their best, but end up falling short because EA does not give the team enough to work with.
    Some haven't learned yet if they ever will. Because it's clear to see TS4 is only capable of small feats and never will be anything like TS2 or TS3 as the game never was meant to be a sequel in the first place. Let alone a real life simulator. So if they continue to buy and still complain even though it's not what they want, oh well. Regardless, the developers get paid whether the consumers are happy or not. Unless, everyone just quits The Sims forever if it's no longer the game they wanted. Maybe if EA and their developers were transparent they wouldn't have this issue. It is what it is. So the saying goes, "You reap what you sow."

===

My older sister introduced me into games and I've been gaming ever since trying new games and genres.
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
    @Sorak4 @reksoh @deshong04

See I think majority of the problem comes in when people compare all the Sim games. It's kind of like plum if they do and plum if they don't. If they made all the games exactly alike people would feel as tho they are paying for the same game over and over. If they branch out to some different then they still get flack about it.
    2llotup.jpg
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Some haven't learned yet if they ever will. Because it's clear to see TS4 is only capable of small feats and never will be anything like TS2 or TS3 as the game never was meant to be a sequel in the first place. Let alone a real life simulator. So if they continue to buy and still complain even though it's not what they want, oh well. Regardless, the developers get paid whether the consumers are happy or not. Unless, everyone just quits The Sims forever if it's no longer the game they wanted. Maybe if EA and their developers were transparent they wouldn't have this issue. It is what it is. So the saying goes, "You reap what you sow."

===

My older sister introduced me into games and I've been gaming ever since trying new games and genres.

I'm a 90s baby...growing up I owned a Nintendo 64, dreamcast, super Nintendo, the line of Playstations, a gamecube, and so forth. I am actually thankful at the advancements game developers have made with not only the games but the gaming systems as well.

I actually just bought a gamecube with sonic adventure battle, legend of zelda windwaker, harvest moon, and a few others lol.
    2llotup.jpg
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    hunniboo1 wrote: »

See I think majority of the problem comes in when people compare all the Sim games. It's kind of like plum if they do and plum if they don't. If they made all the games exactly alike people would feel as tho they are paying for the same game over and over. If they branch out to some different then they still get flack about it.

The issue is, you need to compare it to older games, why would it be allowed to ignore the downgrade that happen overtime? It would be allowing companies that try to sell you the content that should of been on release even more.

If you don't compare each game how will you see how the new one can improve after huge feature take outs like create a style and story progression? Comparing it helps with having games improve.
    L9q8VGi.png

Then you would completely misunderstand the basis of what I feel the majority want. As I've already said so previously about improving on old features yet introducing new gameplay so it's always the same at its core but at the same time a brand new experience. Compare TS: Unleashed to TS2: Pets to TS3: Pets to understand that using the same concept but constantly improving and advancing on it is the way to go. Not to mention, go ahead and exclude Pets or Seasons or Supernaturals, Toddlers, etc and see the high rate of complaints.

Also, The Sims is supposed to be a life simulator and it needs to have recurring gameplay elements or it wouldn't be The Sims nor life simulation. I feel the majority are not asking for the same exact thing. They are asking for refinements with additional worthwhile features never been done before. Like how TS2 had aging/generations, 360 camera, etc for the first time ever. Like TS3 has the open seamless world with no loading screens, Create-A-Style, etc for the first time ever.

And yes, many will always compare TS vs TS2 vs TS3 vs TS4 because it is a continuous series with supposedly a common foundation just like any other game series. The real issue is EA/Maxis should never have named the game TS4 and made it its own spin-off if they weren't going to keep their original intention with The Sims Olympus. Because the truth is TS4 is not a real Sims and just a wannabe rip-off pretending to be a triple A title with nothing to show for.

You say you play games too right? So have you not noticed how other game series usually work when it comes to sequels? As much as Nintendo gets dislike for reusing what works well, their long-time players are quite content. While it is true they use the same franchises over and over again, they also innovate over and over again. So the gaming experiences are always familiar but at the same time new.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TChpCrmoiA

===

Yeah, growing up with a lot of the game consoles and video games have been really fun. I'm quite excited about PS5 and any PSVR improvements/advancements. I have the GameCube in storage including Xbox/360, Wii and Dreamcast because PS4, PS3, Wii U, Switch, Super Nintendo/Nes Combo, N64 are sharing one tv. Though some of them aren't all hooked up. I like keeping all the consoles for nostalgic reasons and just because I don't want to trade it in or sell it. Also, have PS2 on a different tv. Haven't got back into The Sims 2: Castaway yet.

Have fun with your new GameCube and games. :)
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • TheHavocadoTheHavocado Posts: 607 Member

1) It's hard not to compare when you remove one of the fundamental upgrade in The Sims Franchise: Open World. When you're making a change to such a big feature, you'll have to compensate. Then came the questions; Why you remove such a big feature? What is your goal? Not to mention that in a nutshell, this game is sort of a sandbox; which add more questions like Why do I want to purchase this? Is there any improvements over the last title? Hence the comparison.

2) Similiarities are unavoidable really. This game is more-or-less about simulating real-life, so of-course some stuff are going to get remade, recycled, and/or remastered. Besides, we all love good changes, skeptical at the beginning probably, yeah. But the real question is; is it an upgrade? sidegrade? or an inevitable downgrade? Remains to be seen. Why? Because you don't score something that's still in development.
    Sorak4 wrote: »
    (...) but it was clear Sims 4 was rushed for release.

Basically any Sims game in a nutshell.

IMO It's just feels like EA is a bit greedy on this one. I meant, we do have an option of waiting 4-6 years, and then buy The Sims on its finished state, like say- most AAA games (GTA IV to GTA V - 2009-2013, TW2 to The Witcher 3 2011-2015, FFXIV to FFXV 2010-2016 , or the more obvious example; TS2 to The Sims 3 2008-2013).

The only thing differentiates them from The Sims franchise is the godawful price tag.
    Me, when triggered:
    CPwGluP.gif
    "All this negativity doesn't add up."
  • summertaffy68summertaffy68 Posts: 211 Member
    I agree with a lot of your comments OP. I sometimes feel bad for them too. I genuinely love 4, it's my favorite of all the games if I'm being honest. I'd like to see a lot of different things, but not since Sims 2 had I played the game this much. I tried to play 3 but it was so super slow on my computer and very buggy. It was impossible to create pets because they literally all had giraffe necks. I'm fine with not having an open world as a compromise. I have been around since the first game as well, and I do compare 4 to the others but I guess the difference between most others and me is that I prefer 4. They improved a lot with regards to gameplay. It's fun to play now as opposed to 3 (for me) when I had to worry about my computer first. Now I'm able to have fun with my Sims and enjoy everything.

There are some minor things I think could use improvement or stuff I'd like to see and while the original release *may* have been rushed, they worked really hard on this game and the packs that accompany it.
    1500x500.jpg
    I agree with a lot of your comments OP. I sometimes feel bad for them too. I genuinely love 4, it's my favorite of all the games if I'm being honest. I'd like to see a lot of different things, but not since Sims 2 had I played the game this much. I tried to play 3 but it was so super slow on my computer and very buggy. It was impossible to create pets because they literally all had giraffe necks. I'm fine with not having an open world as a compromise. I have been around since the first game as well, and I do compare 4 to the others but I guess the difference between most others and me is that I prefer 4. They improved a lot with regards to gameplay. It's fun to play now as opposed to 3 (for me) when I had to worry about my computer first. Now I'm able to have fun with my Sims and enjoy everything.

There are some minor things I think could use improvement or stuff I'd like to see and while the original release *may* have been rushed, they worked really hard on this game and the packs that accompany it.

One of the most common complaints about TS3 from some. But how is it a fair judgement for a gaming experience or rather lack thereof when some can't even play the game the way it's meant to be played? It's like those reviews on any site that has nothing to do with the product itself but that it arrived late and broken, etc.

PC gaming or any gaming is a hobby. And that hobby can cost a lot of money. Not to mention that video games are always advancing which means so does the hardware that runs it. To enjoy holding back the full potential of The Sims may seem great but in the long run it won't be as memorable. Talk about the same old, same old with little changes in improvements and advancements. If I was going to play like it's 2000-2004 then I'll actually go play The Sims and The Sims 2.

No way am I giving up all the amazing features TS3 brought to the series for something so mediocre and unimpressive. One of the best features is not only seeing your surroundings but actually being able to take your Sims there, for the most part. I don't care for fake backdrops and going back to a limited play area.
    Don't care for preset colors like back in 2004 and can get any color(s), no limit.
    Black_Cherry.jpg

Base Game content only but with CASt there's so many different looks for the same clothes. Can even create my own patterns.
    Screenshot-83.jpg

So many amazing things to do, I haven't been bored for 8+ years.
    Screenshot-2503.jpg
    Screenshot-1232.jpg
    Screenshot-463.jpg
    Screenshot-334.jpg
    Screenshot-2806.jpg
    Screenshot-1532.jpg

Nothing like a late picnic overlooking the University campus with a friend.
    Screenshot-2400.jpg

Great to create my own community lots for Sims to visit and a nice place for my talented Sims to earn some simoleons.
    Screenshot-435.jpg

I love that I can color my Sims roots, base, highlights and tips.
    Screenshot-484.jpg

And although I don't need mods to run the game, having mods/cc is another creative avenue. But also helps whatever nuisances The Sims Studio left behind.
    Screenshot-40.jpg
    Stand a little taller
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    Nope, I do not feel bad for people who create inferior bug ridden product and yet ask premium pricing. I can see improvement but they have a ways to go for my taste. I won’t jump ship just yet but I refuse to lower my standards which is why I only buy these games when they’re heavily discounted.
    Understood and everyone makes valid points. Makes a great debate :p;)

I think I worded it wrong. Let me give a better example, for a while we(me too) have complained about the disregard for death. They fix it but now people are complaining their sims are sad or depressed due to being notified of a death by phone.
    2llotup.jpg
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    Understood and everyone makes valid points. Makes a great debate :p;)

I think I worded it wrong. Let me give a better example, for a while we(me too) have complained about the disregard for death. They fix it but now people are complaining their sims are sad or depressed due to being notified of a death by phone.

To my understanding, while the feature is a step in the right direction, the complaint is that sims are getting depressed over the death of sims they were barely even acquaintances with, which shouldn't really be the case.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)