Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[SEASONS] Not Enough Holiday Traditions

Comments

• Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited June 2018
    loutredor wrote: »
    According to a combinations calculator, making a 5 tradition holiday with 46 options to choose from, apparently there are....

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Maths can be so useful at times.

edit: someone double check this for me. I find it hard to believe lol

Haha I can't believe you took the time to do the maths! X) It does sound like a lot but concretely there are traditions that you are probably never going to pair together. I can't imagine any context in which you would want to watch sports while wearing a costume and lighting a menora for instance :D
    I wonder, does order have an impact on the way you calculated those combinations though? What I mean is, if you want to calculate the number of combinations for a code, 1 2 3 is definitely different than 1 3 2. But for the traditions, the order doesn't matter. So imagining traditions are numbers, holiday 12345 and holiday 12354 (and all the other possible orders in which those first 5 traditions could be) are actually the exact same holiday. Anyway I don't know if you took it into account, just asking out of curiosity. X)
    I haven't done maths in... A while!

heck your rules B)@loutredor

0a7b568b15ed2375bd550bd443eb0c51.png
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    Sleep

Mother's Spirit

Father's

Child's

family
    6adMCGP.gif
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Sleep

Mother's Spirit

Father's

Child's

family

Huh?
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Sleep

Mother's Spirit

Father's

Child's

family

Huh?

just some tradditons I would have liked to see in the game
    6adMCGP.gif
  • djacquelynstewdjacquelynstew Posts: 641 Member
    @Chazzzy what else do you think they could have added? I don''t have the game yet but irl all i can think to do for holidays is eat, talk, relax, eat more, maybe sports, gifts....

@ListentoToppDogg as far as going to church, I think you can set where to send your sims for that special event you create. So if you have a church in your world you can send your sims there?

I made my church a library (a very appropriate and cute download that I found on the gallery), and I have some bookshelves in there and a podium stand, and the benches that resemble pews, so it kind of mimics the workings of a church, as people sit, read books and listen to lectures. (I have a trait mod that enforces these actions. For now, it works (Had to be creative because my sims needed some church time, lol) o:);)
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2018
    I personally just wish there were more religious traditions. It's nice that they included lighting the Menorah and fasting, but I would have like to see a "go to church" tradition or something of the like since they wouldn't use the actual word church.

I saw that "attend holiday ceremony" or something like that was an option, which I assumed was to be their way to include going to church without being too specific, but the description of it seems so weird and basic. Almost like you just go to any random place and the tradition is fulfilled. Of course, I don't have the game yet so I can't judge it yet, but if that is the case, that's disappointing for me personally.

Attend ceremony is kinda like sending your sims to church but it's a rabbithole like volunteering. They just leave and come back. I was hoping it would prompt me to travel to a lot, so I could send my sim to the actual church lot.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I made my church a library (a very appropriate and cute download that I found on the gallery), and I have some bookshelves in there and a podium stand, and the benches that resemble pews, so it kind of mimics the workings of a church, as people sit, read books and listen to lectures. (I have a trait mod that enforces these actions. For now, it works (Had to be creative because my sims needed some church time, lol) o:);)

That's cute :D I might have to do that too.

IceyJ wrote: »
    Attend ceremony is kinda like sending your sims to church but it's a rabbithole like volunteering. They just leave and come back. I was hoping it would prompt me to travel to a lot, so I could send my sim to the actual church lot.

Ah, okay. That makes a bit more sense. I was a bit confused based on the description. Thanks for the info :)
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    According to a combinations calculator, making a 5 tradition holiday with 46 options to choose from, apparently there are....

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Haha I can't believe you took the time to do the maths! X) It does sound like a lot but concretely there are traditions that you are probably never going to pair together. I can't imagine any context in which you would want to watch sports while wearing a costume and lighting a menora for instance :D
    I wonder, does order have an impact on the way you calculated those combinations though? What I mean is, if you want to calculate the number of combinations for a code, 1 2 3 is definitely different than 1 3 2. But for the traditions, the order doesn't matter. So imagining traditions are numbers, holiday 12345 and holiday 12354 (and all the other possible orders in which those first 5 traditions could be) are actually the exact same holiday. Anyway I don't know if you took it into account, just asking out of curiosity. X)
    I haven't done maths in... A while!

heck your rules B)@loutredor

0a7b568b15ed2375bd550bd443eb0c51.png

Hahaha :D I guess I actually enhanced the probability of this holiday to be created in the end.
    Did you have a good "rebel day"?
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member
    Also: Not enough holiday icons. The selection is so limited and strange, it's really hard to pick an appropriate icon! We could have used some more generic ones with maybe just colors or flowers, snowflakes, trees.
  • gothprincess4evergothprincess4ever Posts: 2,130 Member
    Yes, I was somewhat afraid of that when I was rewatching the livestream and some YouTubers' videos on the new pack. I guess modders will add some stuff, there are so many miraculous things they've proved they are able to pull off in the past...

I guess, for now, you can only pretend that there is a Grilled Cheese holiday in your game. You could make your Sims cook some grilled cheese sandwiches, dress in outfits that kind of resemble grilled cheese and make them "dicuss interests" (a friendly interaction), so in a way it feels like they are talking about grilled cheese.

I don't own the game yet, I'm expecting it to arrive today via the post office (physical copy, don't ask, I'm just obsessed with collecting them), so I can't voice a clear opinion, but so far I like what I've seen.
  • XxItalianPeachesxXXxItalianPeachesxX Posts: 67 Member
    edited June 2018
    Irdiwen wrote: »

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Take CL’s fireworks and it’s 184,072,680 even. Your calculations were correct :).

The moral of the story is you gotta be creative with traditions & holidays !!! That’s all ! Don’t have to make real world holidays all the time !
    Post edited by XxItalianPeachesxX on
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member

I’ve seen a thread up here with people describing how they will customize their holidays. Someone mentioned they wanted to create a Grilled Cheese holiday for example and as a tradition they want sims to gain extra happiness and fulfill holiday goals by eating grilled cheese, talking about grilled cheese, cooking grilled cheese, etc. Well in the game, there is no way to select grilled cheese as a tradition.

Games are generally made to appeal to as many people as possible....not eat up their development budget by adding things that only appeal to very small numbers of people. It would be impossible for them to add every thing that someone may want to use as a custom option in a game.
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member
    With Appreciate An Object the customization can go further. You can select individual objects. Imagine the fun we can have with that. Urns. Portraits. Toilets. A cow plant :lol:

I'm so playing with this when I get home from work.
    giphy.gif
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    With Appreciate An Object the customization can go further. You can select individual objects. Imagine the fun we can have with that. Urns. Portraits. Toilets. A cow plant :lol:

Oh you can? Several people said you couldn't. How does it work, does the game ask you which object it will be when you create the holiday?
  • ParmaViolet87ParmaViolet87 Posts: 1,800 Member

Oh you can? Several people said you couldn't. How does it work, does the game ask you which object it will be when you create the holiday?

I think so! When I hovered my mouse over the tradition for more info it says you can select an object. I haven't tried it yet though.

Anyone tried it?
    giphy.gif
  • IrdiwenIrdiwen Posts: 574 Member
    edited June 2018
    Irdiwen wrote: »

1,370,754 combinations.

Wow.

Take CL’s fireworks and it’s 184,072,680 even. Your calculations were correct :).

The moral of the story is you gotta be creative with transitions & holidays !!! That’s all ! Don’t have to make real world holidays all the time !

I know :D. That's why my game has Gnome Day, Family Day and some other yet unnamed holidays that will include a random combination of traditions. It's so much fun!
    Simmer since 2000! Sims 1, Sims, 2, Sims 3, Sims 4. Legacy player at heart.
  • AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    Also: Not enough holiday icons. The selection is so limited and strange, it's really hard to pick an appropriate icon! We could have used some more generic ones with maybe just colors or flowers, snowflakes, trees.

Agreed I had no appropriate icons for earth day, Independence Day, or my created llama day and winterfest (a day to celebrate winter). I used the paper for summer vacation and the ribbon for super bowl Sunday burn neither were ideal. Llama day I just used the costume icon but I would love a llama icon. Also I’m not sure if exercising will work but I wanted to add ice skating to winterfest but not sure how to do it. I had a feeling the sims will just all do push-ups instead lol.
  • dokamito154dokamito154 Posts: 8 New Member
    @Chazzy I don't think so, from the livestream that SimsCommunity did a few days ago, at the minute of 1:22:08 , you can clearly see that there are ghosts are wandering in the Brindleton Bay in the custom holiday, The Spooky Day when he added the tradition, Spooky Spirit.
    You can watch the livestream from the title 'The Sims 4 Seasons: Early Access Livestream' in SimsCommunity Youtube Channel.

Also, holidays might not be specific but it has the main keys which are the top traditions most peoples do in real life but in game.
    Yes, the more specific traditions can be created by the modders. I think it is more than enough, it just we need to explore all traditions first. :smile:
  • TheIntrovertSimmerTheIntrovertSimmer Posts: 641 Member
    edited June 2018
    If some people say that Sims 4's main bummer is because Sims 3 exists...

I'll say that Seasons Holiday Traditions look few because Get Together Activities exist. LMAO
    y'all got bread?
  • liliaethliliaeth Posts: 1,087 Member
    I personally just wish there were more religious traditions. It's nice that they included lighting the Menorah and fasting, but I would have like to see a "go to church" tradition or something of the like since they wouldn't use the actual word church.

I saw that "attend holiday ceremony" or something like that was an option, which I assumed was to be their way to include going to church without being too specific, but the description of it seems so weird and basic. Almost like you just go to any random place and the tradition is fulfilled. Of course, I don't have the game yet so I can't judge it yet, but if that is the case, that's disappointing for me personally.

Yea I was looking for something like that when I made Easter. I’m not sure how they could make it more religious aside from lighting candles.

There's a 'worship object' option if I well remember.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Traditions and customs, Oh, heck they never have enough icons for holiday's, and can I please get Santa Dressed in a Red Suit.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    There need to be more holiday-specific traditions based on non-Abrahamic faiths & non-US secular holidays.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I haven't tried it yet, but I bet if you have GT, you could combine clubs and holidays to flesh things out more. :) Set up a club to play in and celebrate the holiday, and have the club fill in the stuff you want to go along with the holiday itself.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited June 2018

Agreed I had no appropriate icons for earth day, Independence Day, or my created llama day and winterfest (a day to celebrate winter). I used the paper for summer vacation and the ribbon for super bowl Sunday burn neither were ideal. Llama day I just used the costume icon but I would love a llama icon. Also I’m not sure if exercising will work but I wanted to add ice skating to winterfest but not sure how to do it. I had a feeling the sims will just all do push-ups instead lol.

I used the harvest fest icon for Earth Day, hot dogs/grill for Independence day, the tree for Winterfest, kids playing for summer vacation and the TV for Super Bowl Sunday. But we definitely need more icons. Zerbu, where are you....?
    Post edited by IceyJ on
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member

Yea I was looking for something like that when I made Easter. I’m not sure how they could make it more religious aside from lighting candles.

same here