Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Shifting sims from one save to another

Not sure where to put this, and it may be a dumb question, but is there a way to take a household from one game save and put it into another? The reason behind this is that I have 3 or 4 game saves that I tried to play TS2 style. Discovered the hard way that proper rotational play isn't possible in TS4, so would like to pull the families that have good stories going and have potential for further development out of the mess and put them into their own game saves. Am hoping TS4's looser way of handling sim relationships would enable that without causing file corruption.

Comments

• CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    you can save them to your library and get them into the new save that way. They will keep their skills, jobs, and traits. Their familial relationships will still exist but the friendship bars will be reset.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Thank you! At least it is technically possible. I expected friendships bars to change, but that's no big deal as that fills up quickly anyway. It was the internal thing that is most concerning. Will that method also preserve their home? At least one has a full rack of sugar skulls, another the plantsim tree, and nearly all have extensive gardens and well equipped homes.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,224 Member
    Suppose you could put the gardens in their own rooms and save those to your library. That's what I did when I wanted to move some plants from one garden to a garden in a different save. Worked out fine, the plants were still ready to harvest and thrived when placed back on the ground. I only used one of each plant and planted some of the harvested fruits, vegetables and flowers to create new plants. They also kept their quality if you were wondering.
    image.png
    edited June 2018
    Thank you! At least it is technically possible. I expected friendships bars to change, but that's no big deal as that fills up quickly anyway. It was the internal thing that is most concerning. Will that method also preserve their home? At least one has a full rack of sugar skulls, another the plantsim tree, and nearly all have extensive gardens and well equipped homes.

yes, it should also work for their homes! just make sure that if you used any bb cheats when building the home, to turn them on again before you place it. everything should be the same.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,496 Member

You can save the lot through build mode. Also, when you move the family, have them keep their furniture. That way plants, et al, will be in their family inventory. One of my Sims couples had quite the garden going. I sent him hither and thither to find all manner of veggies, fruit, and whatnot. They both have high gardening skills so their produce was top-notch. I didn't want to lose that and found out when I kept their furniture, there inside the family inventory was all of their plants, too! I just moved them from the inventory into the ground where I wanted their 'new' garden to be at the new place.

I have since restarted this rotation save. A terrible blunder on my part killed my Patriarch long before he is set to decease. In RL the man was just shy of 102 years old! (I foolishly aged him up in CAS, not realizing that CAS adds up the entire amount of days lived and he died :open_mouth: ) The upshot is I had to create the game save all over again, which meant placing specific lots I had saved into specific towns. It was very nice to discover his lot still had the plants in the garden, as before! I had also forgotten the he had a spliced apple/cherry/pomegranate tree. So, either way you should be in good shape. Just be aware, there might be a problem with the Gallery at the moment. Read another thread about it, prior to this thread.

At any rate, good luck!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    Have found the lot via build mode, but have yet to find how to do the sims themselves. Not a thing on doing the family as a unit over to the gallery.
    Have found the lot via build mode, but have yet to find how to do the sims themselves. Not a thing on doing the family as a unit over to the gallery.

Enter CAS with the household and click the save button in the upper right of the screen
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    If you want to keep interfamily relationships intact, you could always just do save as for as many households you have. So if you had 3 played households in one save, make three copies of that save and just play as whatever family.
    I'm glad somebody around here knows what they're doing! I sure don't. With this game, anyway. Am much more comfy with TS2, after 14 years of it I should be. Thanks gents! Will give it a go. Never thought of the save as idea, learned something new.
    After surveying the affected neighborhoods have come to conclusion that both methods would be appropriate, which one depending on the game save. When it comes to the save as, will the game recognize an alpha-numeric like 9A? That would make organizing things much easier than just going on with the number sequence.