Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Careful planning or go with the flow?

mmt3363mmt3363 Posts: 385 Member
I was inspired recently to do another total game makeover, creating new sims and remodeling/building all new lots until I’ve laid hands on everything. I have all the family’s names and ages outlined, and have a list of 104 clubs that I want to create and utilize when I get to the actual gameplay part of the recreation. As I’m placing the families and building their houses, their stories become a little more fleshed out.

Like the family holding onto their farm land in Willow Creek; Arthur Fellows inherited the farmhouse that’s been in his family for nearly 100 years, but he hardly works the land there. That usually falls to his busy wife Mona who is simultaneously running a bakery, keeping up with the meals and cleaning for the household, and wrangling 4 children, 17 year old Fox, 15 year old Sparrow, 9 year old Poppy, and 3 year old Ash. Arthur is more focused on pursuing his dream of becoming a world renouned artist, which is great and all, but Mona sure wishes he’d help out more.

Or the family I’m currently working on: Jonah Lennox, a chef working as a programmer on the side to save up for the restaurant he wants to buy, his mommy blogger and aspiring parenting guru wife, Christina, and their two little ones, 7 year old Lucy and 2 year old Jude. (The young couple met at a Beatles tribute concert, hence their childen’s names.)

But all this got me wondering if other simmers neurotically plan out their games like I do. I always like to have an idea going in about the family’s backstory, their individual goals, who they would be friends with, who they wouldn’t get along with, and so on. I feel like it helps me create a world that feels interesting and complex.

Do you find that you do a lot of preplanning, or do you like to just go with the flow and live out your sim’s lives on a whim?

What family have you done the most planning for, or what family has been most exciting for you to play in the fly?

Comments

• PineapplePhonePineapplePhone Posts: 21 Member
    I usually don't do a whole lot of planning, though I do come up with more fleshed out personalities for my sims beyond the three traits. It's crazy to me that you even plan out the children, as I usually just randomize the names until I find something good enough or come up with something that I like, whichever comes first. Usually I don't even remember what I named them.
    I usually do a vague backstory, but it kind of changes and gets more detailed as I go.
    The one I'm doing right now has more of a story element to it than I usually have. A couple, Cannon and Stone, are surviving in an apocalypse type scenario, where the world has basically started over. There's no electricity, and they keep to themselves because the few survivors that they see are untrustworthy. It's dangerous to go too far from their main shelter, and they have to live entirely off the land. Despite this, they're eager to start a new family. So far they've given birth to Gunner, though they plan on having more. They'll do anything it takes to protect their children from the harsh new world. Anything.
    I think it makes it more fun to have a story element, that way it's sort of like you're writing your own book or movie, but because it's The Sims, there are elements that you can't plan for, which makes it more interesting. I guess The Sims is the same as playing with dolls, but it's for adults :blush:
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I have an idea of the career I want a Sim in and who I want them to marry but that’s about it. I go with the flow for everything else.

Sometimes I’ll switch to a different household and be surprised that they’re involved in an extra marital affair lol but I’ll actually go along with it and may even invite the neighbor over for a rendezvous.
  • xxnearlyperfectxxxnearlyperfectx Posts: 683 Member
    I have a family of four in my save. Two toddler girls and their parents. I wanted them to woohoo, but I actually made them try for baby because in real life you never know what could be around the corner. She end up pregnant with baby number three now.
    4Wv5dIG.jpg
  • ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    edited June 2018
    I have an Idea for the theme of the next sim like a double agent or a mad scientist for example. However I learned the hard way that even careful planning can still go wrong. Last Week I had both the Dad and Mom of my household DIE almost simultaneously. I was then left with luckily a teen all by himself :s:s:# or it would have been game-over for my long running household :o
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I generally have some kind of back story for my characters but then I see where it goes. I have some idea of what their personalities are like and how they each approach decision-making but then I let things happen as I go along. There are many ways to play though and I think that detailed back stories like yours are great.

I'm just somewhat far into a rotation where I'm basically playing most of the characters in the town with all of these different story lines. I do think of ideas for new characters who interact with the others and then seeing how things develop. Right now, for example, I have a new generation in a few households that are growing up. I'm thinking about bringing in a few wealthy young descendants of older generations. The Landgraabs died off as townies in my game but I'm considering bringing back a young descendant of theirs depending on where I put him as a kind of wealthy bad boy who is new in town. I'm also considering bringing in an heir to the Von Haunt/Windenburg estate and making that a really aristocratic residence for a handsome young stranger who is new in town. The Von Haunt guy would be kind of the opposite of the Landgraab guy so I would see what develops, such as if they fight over the same woman/women or how they are otherwise rivals.

I'm not very good at having characters really sustain lasting animosity towards each other so in reality, they would probably both get roped into their lives. I also already have quite a few wealthy characters, though I guess that they could all be friends. I try to make sure to play various socioeconomic brackets. I'll admit that my sims are generally all "good" on some level. I can think of one or two exceptions that I play more for fun rather than actually liking them, because their deviousness is funny. Most of my sims are all very decent, even Max Villareal who is my primary vampire. He is just an aristocratic loner living a life of leisure with a lot of time ... and plasma-drinking.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • snarklessnarkles Posts: 244 Member
    The most planning I tend to do is deciding early on what kind of career/personality a Sim will have by the time they're a child, or even a toddler in some cases. I'll roll a dice to see what their childhood aspiration is and go from there; for instance, if their aspiration is motor skills, then they'll likely be an athlete of some sort. This isn't always my method, but it helps me shape a personality/story for them in my head.
    xSfr2Kh.jpg
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    edited June 2018
    I think I’d disappoint myself more if something happened that wasn’t according to plan.

I just go with the flow :)
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    edited June 2018
    I only have two game play saves at the moment. One is the family I created for the mini-series below. So, yes, in many ways their back story has already been created. What I couldn't cover in the confines of the series, I like to play out in my game.

The other family is my Ancestral game play save. In doing my family research, I have fallen in love with my sixth great-grandparents and their branches to either side, not just them and their children. It makes for a rather interesting rotation save. My sixth great-grandfather became a bit of a somebody, so his timeline is known. While I can't recreate all that they lived through (French and Indian War, Pontiac's War, the Siege of Fort Watauga 1766, and a significant battle in the Revolutionary War. Battle of Kings Mountain, SC), I can simulate the relationships.

In that respect, yes, it's pre-planned.
    Post edited by GalacticGal on
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • SikoahGraceSikoahGrace Posts: 1,399 Member
    I usually have a background. Sometimes they go with the flow but I have them do interactions that are in accordance with their previous experiences/traits.
  • SimTresaSimTresa Posts: 3,226 Member
    I'm flexible. Sometimes I have a definite background in mind first, other times I make it up as I go along. I do use traits to decide if two sims would get along, like the neat sim who wants a family but doesn't want to date a lazy sim because they'd clash over cleanliness. I decided at the beginning that Myles Peters, the founder of one of my legacies, was an orphan who inherited land from his last foster parents.
    image.png
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    mmt3363 wrote: »
    I was inspired recently to do another total game makeover, creating new sims and remodeling/building all new lots until I’ve laid hands on everything. I have all the family’s names and ages outlined, and have a list of 104 clubs that I want to create and utilize when I get to the actual gameplay part of the recreation. As I’m placing the families and building their houses, their stories become a little more fleshed out.

Like the family holding onto their farm land in Willow Creek; Arthur Fellows inherited the farmhouse that’s been in his family for nearly 100 years, but he hardly works the land there. That usually falls to his busy wife Mona who is simultaneously running a bakery, keeping up with the meals and cleaning for the household, and wrangling 4 children, 17 year old Fox, 15 year old Sparrow, 9 year old Poppy, and 3 year old Ash. Arthur is more focused on pursuing his dream of becoming a world renouned artist, which is great and all, but Mona sure wishes he’d help out more.

Or the family I’m currently working on: Jonah Lennox, a chef working as a programmer on the side to save up for the restaurant he wants to buy, his mommy blogger and aspiring parenting guru wife, Christina, and their two little ones, 7 year old Lucy and 2 year old Jude. (The young couple met at a Beatles tribute concert, hence their childen’s names.)

But all this got me wondering if other simmers neurotically plan out their games like I do. I always like to have an idea going in about the family’s backstory, their individual goals, who they would be friends with, who they wouldn’t get along with, and so on. I feel like it helps me create a world that feels interesting and complex.

Do you find that you do a lot of preplanning, or do you like to just go with the flow and live out your sim’s lives on a whim?

What family have you done the most planning for, or what family has been most exciting for you to play in the fly?

I come up with a basic scenario for the households I create remake premades and townies when I start a new game. I build and create many clubs. However I also go with the flow.

For example My sim Damian I create married Max Villareal which was not something I was trying to do. I was playing Victoria Van Helsing's household when he married Max. I didn't have a romantic interest between the two of them when I switched over to Victoria. She's been slumming with the mortals and I have been trying to get over her relationship phobia she has because she saw her beloved murdered by her family centuries ago and has branded her a traitor by them all because she fell in love with a vampire. She is my infamous ex-hunter She has issues but she is one of my favourite households I have created. I have her looking like a female Baron Semedi because of the things she has gone through in her past. She has a sort of "blood" debt to pay to The Vatores. While I was playing The Sinclair twins who are Templars Max and Damian had twins. Again I didn't try for a baby with them but it is something I didn't plan for.

I have a lot of autonomy in my gameplay to add flavour and roll with what happens as a result of that autonomy, It might be an alien invasion it might be the rise of the vampires sims getting married and having kids. Sometimes it can be something crazy since I allow teens to marry and become pregnant in game. The reason behind this was I was thinking wouldn't it be entertaining if... Cassandra Goth came home pregnant and being even more depressed than usual. Wolfgang Munch being the father and being the jerk he is making Cassandra go through it all alone while her refusing to tell her parents who the father of her child is wondering if she should confide in her brother Alexander the whole time or Malcolm Landgraab and Luna Villareal having their families force them to marry each other after she finds out she is pregnant with his child. We all know Geffory wants grandkids one day even though he might want to wait a However, MCCC gave the game other ideas. It adds to some interesting twists.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • MissFashionistaMissFashionista Posts: 455 Member
    I like to pre-plan for each generation of my legacy, so after I've decided who is going to be the heir/heiress. I have to come up with a game plan to keep the game interesting.

Currently, I'm on generation two of my legacy, I have some things planned (weirdly enough these plans mostly revolve around death :# ) I actually just finished killing off the husband of my heir because I needed some drama in my game play and I was building up to that moment. Adding to that drama, after my heiress' youngest sister, Catherine died of embarrassment immediately after aging up; I've decided that the number three is an unlucky number in this family. SO this curse is going to befall my heiress' third child unless she finds someone else to have a baby with, which should be interesting.
  • PninaSimmerPninaSimmer Posts: 371 Member
    I have an idea for the starting Sim, generally where their life will go and what they will name their children because we all tend to already have an idea of that before they're even alive. But that plan doesn't always work out-of-town especially romantic relationships.
  • CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    edited June 2018
    I absolutely hate maxis builds, so I knock down everything, and make new families, of course keeping a few Staples sims like the Goths, and Landgraabs. Willow Creek actually looks like New Orleans, etc. I plan, then let them go with the flow.
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I do some planning ahead. Usually I have about three scenarios roughly laid out but which of the paths my sims eventually take largely depends on their own input. Sometimes I even roll with glitches, like when my legacy heir comlained there was no fresh lemonade on the tray for some reason while in truth the glasses had been filled five sims minutes ago. "Obviously" the kid was vision impaired and so I gave him glasses from then on.

Then again there's times where I'm adamant. Legacy founder Erin moved from Sim City to Sim Francisco while being pregnant from Danny Shino-Miller according to my story and I wanted the child to meet his father at his YA birthday. So I ignored every text message or sighting of Danny's, because storywise they "could not" happen.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    It varies, having learned a long time ago that too much detailed planning usually goes out the nearest window due to the game's ability (regardless of version) to come up with a totally unexpected game changer. Sometimes I have a basic idea of how I want a particular sim/household to go, sometimes it's totally go with the flow. With the Sims, flexibility is key, as one never knows what will happen next.
  • citysimmercitysimmer Posts: 5,950 Member
    I always have loose ideas of what I want to happen that changes with what the game throws at me. I really like creating detailed stories, but I try to stay flexible.
    Proud black simmer 🖤
    MfVGMbL.jpg

• Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    It depends on which Save I'm playing. One of my Saves is the Not So Berry Legacy Challenge.....each generation is written with the backstory of the heir. I always make sure to play to the rules....but if there's time, I might do some storytelling based on game-driven events or plots I come up with. Like in Gen 3, my heiress's husband was cheating with her aunt, which caused my heiress to have her own affair. But she fell in love with this new man, divorced her husband, & split the family. The kids aren't adjusting too well to their mom's new boyfriend or their parents breakup. I usually add things to each generation just to keep it interesting.

For my other Saves, it's a mixture of game-driven events or plots I come up with. I actually have chapters & writing that details all these things that have happened in her Save. She was born in-game as human....happily married with 3 kids. Husband cheated, and then my Save crashed. So I wrote something up....as to what led to her divorce. & then Kelsi turns vampire...but not by choice....I write about Vlad forcing vampirism on her....& Kelsi's adjustment from being human to vampire. She meets this evil vampire, Ambrose who is under Vlad's leadership, & he ends up courting Kelsi and they have this romantic relationship. Ambrose convinces Kelsi to kill Vlad....which she does. Ambrose & Kelsi marry, start their family. Ambrose wants power of all vampires. But then I was playing with MC Mod...and the update at the time was risky vampirism where your Sims could turn Sims vampire by feeding from them. I was messing with the settings....& I guess had it too high....as everyone in my Save became vampire. So I had to make something up about that.....as humans were basically extinct & vampires were out of control with no leadership. Kelsi's half-sister Alexus arrived....and she caused all this chaos, bringing into town Ambrose's first wife, Seraphina. Alexus was jealous of Kelsi & wanted everything Kelsi had & set out to ruin her. Alexus almost succeeded, but Kelsi was onto what Alexus was after. Kelsi ended up turning Alexus human, stripping her of her powers. & currently in-game Kelsi is on a mission to make Alexus pay. I had Kelsi skill up her archaeology skill....so she could explore the temples & find those powerful relics. I'm trying to find the marked for death one, so ultimately Kelsi will kill her. But yeah.....I just got a little crazy with my supernatural save....as anything goes. Something will happen....like me experimenting with a mod or something in-game, & I write as I go. Some stuff is game-driven & some stuff is just my own devious mind.
  • TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    I give my Sims a backstory, get to know them a bit, then give them a career. From then on it's pretty much deal with what comes up and seize whatever attractive opportunities come their way.
    7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • Thunderbat87Thunderbat87 Posts: 275 Member
    It varies. I plan a little who they are gonna be, and may create friends/families for my sim. And I may have an idea what is going to happen for å short period of time. But I don’t plan that detailed or for a long period of time.
  • wynwyn Posts: 901 Member
    I usually have a backstory but let the sim kind of decide some of the other things with free will. If I get bored though I’ll throw a wrench in their plans. Like if they’re super rich, which did happen in my legacy, after the parents death, I had them lose all their money to an embezzler within the father’s company that then fled with their life savings. So it creates a new challenge. I moved them out to a dump and then work to buy back the family home, etc.
    Origin ID: WyntirLily
  • YellowJaneYellowJane Posts: 6,589 Member
    I'd say I do a mix!

Some things I plan, other things jump out at me though and I will go with the flow if they happen :) They have autonomy for a reason after all! And an accidental death can often spice things up, so....