Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Off the grid... what does it even mean?

Ok this keeps popping up and I'm confused. What do you think a 'off the grid' EP would entail? A new world, sure, but then what?

When I imagine people living off the grid, it's people living on a farm, raising their own food, without really having any contact with the world (which would be weird in Sims considering that they do everything through cellphones or computers...)... but they still typically have electricity! Just maybe no TV or Internet...

But what else? I mean, it was a separate option from 'raising animals' and 'growing crops' in the poll so I'm just very confused.

Comments

• Strawburry3Strawburry3 Posts: 329 Member
    I have no idea what off the grid would entail, but that’s why I voted for it. Pets, Seasons, University are amazing, don’t get me wrong, but I’d really like new concepts to play with. Raising crops and animals sounds so boring to me.
    tumblr_mxol5mE3eQ1qdczlgo1_500.gif
    Hey, Nana..
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited June 2018
    In real life I know what it means. Not sure in terms of this game.

We can already have Sims living on an empty lot and refuse to pay bills so water and electricity is off. You can garden and eat only fruits and veggies. Also you can manually wash and dry your laundry outdoors now with the tub and clothesline.

Does this mean off the grid is you can pump water from a well so you can shower and have solar panels to get electricity because that seems fun. Not sure how else the game would be affected or if there are enough activities to fill a whole pack.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Generally speaking, when people are talking about "off the grid" they mean living without electricity or even more isolated than that. People talking about it in the Sims seem to be aiming either for a sort of pioneer life or for a more modern version of self-sufficiency and sustainability. So you'll get things like growing your own food, building your own furniture, cooking on a wood stove, doing laundry by hand, and also things like solar power and wind power.

I do think that we'd still end up with the cellphones, at least in the UI. But I'd like to have a "this Sim has no phone" option. Sims who need to do something by computer could use a public library, I suppose. Or just pout and not do those things.

I think in the context of a Farming EP, it's that some people are looking most for a "pioneer" type life, whether that involves animals or crops or both.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    Generally speaking, when people are talking about "off the grid" they mean living without electricity or even more isolated than that. People talking about it in the Sims seem to be aiming either for a sort of pioneer life or for a more modern version of self-sufficiency and sustainability. So you'll get things like growing your own food, building your own furniture, cooking on a wood stove, doing laundry by hand, and also things like solar power and wind power.

I do think that we'd still end up with the cellphones, at least in the UI. But I'd like to have a "this Sim has no phone" option. Sims who need to do something by computer could use a public library, I suppose. Or just pout and not do those things.

I think in the context of a Farming EP, it's that some people are looking most for a "pioneer" type life, whether that involves animals or crops or both.

All this and also, when I say "off the grid" in the game, I also picture canning and more forms of preserving food, a working well for water, chopping wood, making butter and cheese, have chickens for eggs and cows/goat for milk, produce nectar and olive oil (or other kinds of oils), maybe make soaps and candles and such. Basically a very hands on lifestyle where you are self-sufficient and crafty.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • TaquandaTaquanda Posts: 212 Member
    Why does this make me feel like it would be an Amish EP
    Sorry for any grammar or other mistakes. English is not my native language. :)
  • Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    Off the grid might give us things like wells or water pumps(to do what with I've no clue), solar panels(perhaps work like the electric box in CL, breaks and stuff). Canning was talked about during the laundry day stuff. Off the grid was an option then as well.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    We had solar panels and wind turbines in Sims 3 -- while you couldn't go completely "off the grid" using them did help lower the bills a bit.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Ok but how would you make even a GP out of solar panels and wind turbines? lol. Seriously, I'm just confused about why so many people are voting for it when it just seems extremely limited and boring. I mean, a stuff pack maybe?
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member
    When we had the community pack vote for gameplay, Off the Grid was one of the options. This is what the sims team had in mind at the time. I assume if we had the feature it would be something like this.

survey-2.png
  • QuillWriterQuillWriter Posts: 67 Member

All this and also, when I say "off the grid" in the game, I also picture canning and more forms of preserving food, a working well for water, chopping wood, making butter and cheese, have chickens for eggs and cows/goat for milk, produce nectar and olive oil (or other kinds of oils), maybe make soaps and candles and such. Basically a very hands on lifestyle where you are self-sufficient and crafty.

This! When I hear off-the-grid, this is what I picture in terms of a Sims version. To me, it's more about being self-sufficient than it is about being isolated or eschewing all tech. So in terms of gameplay, what I imagine is maybe one family still uses electricity, etc., but they use alternative sources to power it and/or just use a lot less of it, versus maybe a family that really wants to get completely away from it all and live a very simple life out in the woods or something. I would think it would be pretty simple to sort of pick your degrees of how off-the-grid you wanted to go, in a game like this, too.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    When we had the community pack vote for gameplay, Off the Grid was one of the options. This is what the sims team had in mind at the time. I assume if we had the feature it would be something like this.

survey-2.png

Ok thanks. This sounds awful LOL
  • AspenSimsAspenSims Posts: 603 Member
    As a student of environmental design, I highly enjoy the idea of my sims having sustainable energy. Lol.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    How about, rather than strictly "off the grid", an "eco-friendly" pack? It would have solar panels, recycling, composting, and food preservation techniques like canning.
  • SteveTheSimmerSteveTheSimmer Posts: 49 Member
    I love the idea of off the grid though. I'd love to see a pack like this in the future whether it be a stuff pack, game pack or an ep. I feel like it would probably be wither a stuff pack or game pack though. I think an ep would be a bit big for this theme unless maybe it came with farming.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    How about, rather than strictly "off the grid", an "eco-friendly" pack? It would have solar panels, recycling, composting, and food preservation techniques like canning.

The eco-friendly pack got transformed into laundry day stuff.