The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My families are missing! Please help!

I patched the game yesterday after having not played for a few months. Only two families are showing up in load and I had 11 total. My lots are gone too. However, the families show up in my library. Some are missing children. I think maybe a save file is corrupt? I have repaired the game in Origin and it didn't work.

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Do you have a backup of your game prior to patching?

Please also give us the specs of your Mac as well.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • steelersfan4evasteelersfan4eva Posts: 24 Member
    Do you have a backup of your game prior to patching?

Please also give us the specs of your Mac as well.

Last backup I believe was last year sometime :/ I’m really bad about backing up.

Mid-2010 mbp running Sierra 10.12.6, 2.66 i7 processor, 8 gb RAM. Game seems to run fine, I just don’t understand where the files went?

I tried to provide a link showing the save files, but I think I’m too new to post a URL.

Any idea where the “my library” households are saved? All my households show up in my library... but my houses are gone, and the pre-made ones I modified are back to the original house.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    You could try rolling back to a previous save point. Click on Load Game from the Main Menu, then click Recover Save (the button to the left of the Load button); pick one on the list and see if that works. Make a backup of your Saves folder, just in case.

Anything you create in game is saved in the Tray folder -- houses and Sims. They're only saved globally (Community) if you've actively uploaded them.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    You could try rolling back to a previous save point. Click on Load Game from the Main Menu, then click Recover Save (the button to the left of the Load button); pick one on the list and see if that works. Make a backup of your Saves folder, just in case.

Anything you create in game is saved in the Tray folder -- houses and Sims. They're only saved globally (Community) if you've actively uploaded them.

It says no recovery saves available. I see a lot of files in the tray folder. Can I do anything with those?

edited June 2018
    Try this. Move your Sims 4 to your Desktop. DO NOT DELETE IT!!! Next start up your game knowing that none of your saved games, CC/Mods will be present. Allow the game to create a new Sims 4 folder, create a new sim and play for about an hour or so checking to make sure that nothing else is wrong, save this game and exit. Next, open the new Sims 4 folder and check to see if there is any new data in your Saves folder. It should be dated the day that you do this. Then go back to your Sims 4 folder on your Desktop and check the Saves folder there and you should see all your regular saves. Transfer the contents of that file to your new Saves file. Start the game up and see if they appear again. Something could not be reading your saved games correctly and this may correct it.

Let me know what happens. :)
    Try this. Move your Sims 4 to your Desktop. DO NOT DELETE IT!!! Next start up your game knowing that none of your saved games, CC/Mods will be present. Allow the game to create a new Sims 4 folder, create a new sim and play for about an hour or so checking to make sure that nothing else is wrong, save this game and exit. Next, open the new Sims 4 folder and check to see if there is any new data in your Saves folder. It should be dated the day that you do this. Then go back to your Sims 4 folder on your Desktop and check the Saves folder there and you should see all your regular saves. Transfer the contents of that file to your new Saves file. Start the game up and see if they appear again. Something could not be reading your saved games correctly and this may correct it.

Let me know what happens. :)

I’m not sure how to do that on Mac. If I drag and drop it just creates a shortcut. My game also boots up through origin if that makes a difference
  • silver_songbirdsilver_songbird Posts: 305 Member
    I had to deal with this recently, its likely a corrupted save for some reason.

copy > paste your entire sims 4 file on your desktop
    documents > EA > right tap and delete your sims 4 folder
    start up sims 4 & wait for loading screen, this creates a new sims 4 folder > close sims four
    desktop > sims 4 (the folder) > saves
    you should see files such as "slot_000003" etc
    copy a couple of the saves > documents > EA > sims 4 > saves > paste
    start up your game > if you can see the saves, huzzah! those are good saves

repeat this up until you find the corrupt save, and then delete it. that way, you can have the most up to date save with missing little from where it became corrupted.

or at least, this worked for me. maybe a little long but, it did the job and i only lost 20 minutes (roughly) of play time.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    I had a similar problem too not too long ago. Half of my town would just disappear and ended up having to start a new game.

Since it was an update, do you have an mods or cc? That is the most likely culprit. I found out that it was most likely the sunburn mod that was outed/broke with one of the patches and hidden in another fold that was causing the problem for me.

If you don't have mods, you can try repairing your game or see if you can get an old save back.
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    I had a similar problem too not too long ago. Half of my town would just disappear and ended up having to start a new game.

Since it was an update, do you have an mods or cc? That is the most likely culprit. I found out that it was most likely the sunburn mod that was outed/broke with one of the patches and hidden in another fold that was causing the problem for me.

If you don't have mods, you can try repairing your game or see if you can get an old save back.

No mods or cc, tried repairing and recovering
    I had to deal with this recently, its likely a corrupted save for some reason.

copy > paste your entire sims 4 file on your desktop
    documents > EA > right tap and delete your sims 4 folder
    start up sims 4 & wait for loading screen, this creates a new sims 4 folder > close sims four
    desktop > sims 4 (the folder) > saves
    you should see files such as "slot_000003" etc
    copy a couple of the saves > documents > EA > sims 4 > saves > paste
    start up your game > if you can see the saves, huzzah! those are good saves

repeat this up until you find the corrupt save, and then delete it. that way, you can have the most up to date save with missing little from where it became corrupted.

or at least, this worked for me. maybe a little long but, it did the job and i only lost 20 minutes (roughly) of play time.

I only see slot_00000001 and slot_00000002 but they have .ver0-4 at the end.. is this normal? I should have 11 families total. I tried copying and pasting them one by one back into the save folder and still only wound up with two families
    Depending on how many saves you have for each family, there should be no more than 5 versions (ver0-4). Each save is named Slot_0000000.save.ver0 (general format for the formula as each saved numbers and version will vary). I'd move all the versions of each family into your saved games one at a time, start the game and see if they appear. One version may be corrupt and you'd have to weed out which one is.
    Depending on how many saves you have for each family, there should be no more than 5 versions (ver0-4). Each save is named Slot_0000000.save.ver0 (general format for the formula as each saved numbers and version will vary). I'd move all the versions of each family into your saved games one at a time, start the game and see if they appear. One version may be corrupt and you'd have to weed out which one is.

I’ll try that one by one. However, I did find a backup of my computer from last October. I’ve played a lot since then, but figured I’d give it a shot. I copied that save folder and replaced it with the original and only had one family show up. What gives :(
    I'm not sure. It should recognize the data in the Saved games folder. Keep me updated on what happens.