Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kind of disappointed

SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
edited September 2015 in The Sims 2
I have the Sims 2 games on disk. I recently was gifted Sims 2 Ultimate Collection & decided what the heck I'll download it onto another computer.
I had been playing Sims 2 recently before being gifted the UC & built another world & some fun lots.
I then decided to try to use the lots I built on the Sims 2 disk games with the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. Its not possible. Not clear why but its very disappointing.

While playing Sims 2 UC I realized all the Sims games are different games. The main theme is the Sims, but the UI's are all different.
imo 2 things should remain constant in a game series; the Sims & the UI's

Comments

• joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    That is disappointing, I don't know why it's not working for you.

I played TS2 disk version too, when I finally received UC I was really worried that it wouldn't play my years old Sims 2 save. But to my surprise it did! I can't remember exactly how it did it, but I think I replaced all of the folders with my back up save, and it's working fine.

Have you tried it again? Is it just the lots that aren't working? Could it be CC related?
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    I haven't tried anything else except the lots I created. No the game doesn't have any CC.
    I created the lots with what was available in the game. One difference is with the Sims 2 game I had on disk I didn't have University.
    The lots were created with a game without University. But with the UC gifted game, University is included. That may be why.
    It's disappointing but it doesn't stop me from building again :-) Although that would be time consuming & will have to wait a while.
  • I moved two of my custom neighbourhoods into my new UC game, and the only problems I had were with some inhabited lots (maxis made and my own). But that was solved by evicting the families and then moving them back into the houses. I also didn't have the University expansion. I haven't tried to use my custom lots in UC generated neighbourhoods though.
  • I moved two of my custom neighbourhoods into my new UC game, and the only problems I had were with some inhabited lots (maxis made and my own). But that was solved by evicting the families and then moving them back into the houses. I also didn't have the University expansion. I haven't tried to use my custom lots in UC generated neighbourhoods though.
    edited September 2015
    I moved two of my custom neighbourhoods into my new UC game, and the only problems I had were with some inhabited lots (maxis made and my own). But that was solved by evicting the families and then moving them back into the houses. I also didn't have the University expansion. I haven't tried to use my custom lots in UC generated neighbourhoods though.
    If you try to use them with UC I'd be interested if it works for you. Good Luck !

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi :)

I've moved many of my old, years old, neighborhoods into the UC files without any problems. I can install the lots I have saved, too.
    I don't understand why you can't move/install them. :(
    edited September 2015
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    Hi :)

I've moved many of my old, years old, neighborhoods into the UC files without any problems. I can install the lots I have saved, too.
    I don't understand why you can't move/install them. :(

Me either.
    Did you have University with your old game ?
    ETA : What I get when the game is open & I click on the packaged lot to install
    25059pe.jpg

What I get when the game is closed & I click on the packaged lot to install
    soqowg.jpg

Only thing i can think would cause the 2nd msg to pop up is I don't have University with my game on disk but
    UC included University in that set.
    On the 1st msg when I close it & click on the packaged lot, nothing happens.
    Post edited by Sapientsimsolid on
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    I wonder what it is looking for? How frustrating! The University thing shouldn't be an issue.
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
    It was a little disappointing but I've gotten over it :-)
  • kamra19610kamra19610 Posts: 461 Member
    Wow does not sound right. I had a combo of disks plus Origin digital to make the whole set, then got UC and never had to change a thing. Hope in the end it all worked out for you.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    faytheful wrote: »
    I have the Sims 2 games on disk. I recently was gifted Sims 2 Ultimate Collection & decided what the heck I'll download it onto another computer.
    I had been playing Sims 2 recently before being gifted the UC & built another world & some fun lots.
    I then decided to try to use the lots I built on the Sims 2 disk games with the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. Its not possible. Not clear why but its very disappointing.

While playing Sims 2 UC I realized all the Sims games are different games. The main theme is the Sims, but the UI's are all different.

This is probably because lots extracted from any iteration of the game need to be packaged and then re-installed to another game. It's perfectly possible to move lots between the two versions if you know what you're doing, but they don't transfer over automatically and you have to make sure that they go in the right folder and are "unpacked" properly.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
    faytheful wrote: »

This is probably because lots extracted from any iteration of the game need to be packaged and then re-installed to another game. It's perfectly possible to move lots between the two versions if you know what you're doing, but they don't transfer over automatically and you have to make sure that they go in the right folder and are "unpacked" properly.
    lol ok
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited June 2018
    I reread this thread, you can't install Sims or lots while the game is running in case anyone runs across this thread. And unless you know how to keep both the disc games and the UC (like I did) it's better to install TS2UC without TS2 installed.

ETA: MTS has a tut about this if you didn't remove TS2 before hand, and not remove it later if you never installed it etc. It can cause weird problems. I would refer anyone to their site to follow instructions of how to install TS2UC if you didn't uninstall TS2 first.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    My disc TS2 and TS2UC live on different computers, so that issue I don't have. However, there is a bit of a content difference between the two, which I discovered when trying to bring over a package file. Even though my disc versions have all packs installed, there is something different somewhere to cause a mis-match error.