Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

HOW DO YOU COLLECT SIMS GAMES? IN A BOX OR DIGITALLY?

the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member
edited May 2018 in Off Topic Chat
Before I pre-order Seasons, I need to make a decision; do I go digital, or buy the box.

So far, I have bought the box for every Sims 4 expansion. Since Cats and Dogs, though, the box only includes a code, rather than a disc.

So now I'm torn between which method I choose:
  • Getting the code means I can play Seasons the second it comes out,
  • Getting the box means that I have to wait a while for it to be delivered - but it will look nice on my bookshelf...

I don't really know what to do, so I wanna know what everyone else does :joy:
Post edited by the_greenplumbob on

HOW DO YOU COLLECT SIMS GAMES? IN A BOX OR DIGITALLY? 75 votes

Box
21%
Cororonsimspeaker4GabbyGirlJlisasc360YBNS2468garapoesrosey1579TheHavocadogummybear0724AutumnalEquinoxNafai1261ShadyboopAriaMad2rabidgummibearPatricelydiaofmemeteam 16 votes
Digital
78%
icmnfrshmcruddPinkFlyingPastaedemarsArchivistJennyggSimplyJenj3n1ynTrowiciakittymeowwolfkomoki1CogshellmintycupcakeBMSORealBamahiWulfsimmerReallyAlyssaDeKayKelvinjames64468 59 votes

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I've personally gone digital a long time ago since they are no longer making disks.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • mintycupcakemintycupcake Posts: 13,212 Member
    Digital
    The box will look nice on your shelf, collecting dust and taking up space.

For what it's worth, I see no reason to pre-order, since they don't have exclusive downloads like they did with 3. Not pre-ordering meant I was able to get a copy of Cats and Dogs for half off at Target the day it came out. I'm hopeful there will be another sale like that when Seasons comes out :D

Oh, and I threw the box away.
    🌻I'm not a cat.🌻
  • naninani Posts: 5,563 Member
    Digital
    i wont be getting an empty box with a piece of paper that i have to manually put through Origin.
    i have enough mess as it is !
    A french girl who's been hanging out on the english sims forum for a year now.

tumblr_nj0devVCY61s3y9slo1_500.gif

• the_greenplumbobthe_greenplumbob Posts: 6,105 Member

For what it's worth, I see no reason to pre-order, since they don't have exclusive downloads like they did with 3. Not pre-ordering meant I was able to get a copy of Cats and Dogs for half off at Target the day it came out. I'm hopeful there will be another sale like that when Seasons comes out :D

The only reason why I pre-order expansion packs it is because it makes me really jealous seeing everyone else with a certain feature if I don't have it :joy:

When Cats and Dogs came out, the wait for it to be delivered drove me crazy, even though I didn't even have to wait that long for it (it arrived at noon) :joy:
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Digital
    Used to be both digital and box, since expansions are box but game packs and stuff packs are digital unless you wait for the packs that come out. But now that I am making my own covers for my collection I think I will stick to digital. Its easier and I get enjoyment out of making my own dvd covers :)
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Digital
    Used to do both but since I'm always on the go it's been digital now.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

Ok - I think I've decided now...

I think I'm gonna get the box, because Seasons has always been my favourite expansion, and I can tell this one will be too, and to not get this box out of any of them will just disappoint me too much - I just want to be able to admire this box art in particular because it's so beautiful :joy:

Although, this will probably be the last box I get... maybe :joy:
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Digital
    I'm normally a box guy, but I can live with not owning the boxes for Sims 4 packs. It helps that they're small in size (digitally), and there isn't any point if there's no disc anyway.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Digital
    I stopped collecting the physical copies sometime back with The Sims 3 due to digital sales. Also wanting to play midnight releases. Eventually, I collected all the physical copies through Amazon & eBay for my Sims 3 collection. I've never bought a single physical copy for The Sims 4... all digital. Since some of the packs don't even have physical copies, I don't regret my decision. Besides, the physical copies I do have of past Sims series sit packed away organized with all of my other PC game boxes. I don't really have a proper way to display them, not without collecting dust anyways. My pop collection already takes up half a bookshelf in the living room. :D
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    I stopped collecting the physical copies sometime back with The Sims 3 due to digital sales. Also wanting to play midnight releases. Eventually, I collected all the physical copies through Amazon & eBay for my Sims 3 collection. I've never bought a single physical copy for The Sims 4... all digital. Since some of the packs don't even have physical copies, I don't regret my decision. Besides, the physical copies I do have of past Sims series sit packed away organized with all of my other PC game boxes. I don't really have a proper way to display them, not without collecting dust anyways. My pop collection already takes up half a bookshelf in the living room. :D

Yeah that's one thing with The Sims 4 that I haven't been able to do yet - play the game at midnight. The wait for the game to arrive can also be painful... I might just sleep in on the morning of June 22nd and wake up when the parcel arrives :joy:
  • wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Digital
    Digital. There's no point in wasting money on a box that doesn't even have a disk in it.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • megan04102megan04102 Posts: 10 New Member
    Digital
    After sims 3 I have all digital copies; I didn't even know they still made box versions of sims 4 tbh :smiley:
  • GracelishGracelish Posts: 114 Member
    Digital
    I broke my "only collecting the box version" streak after the Get to Work EP. I switched to going digital since then because I prefer instant download and I recently moved—and in the process of decluttering, I threw the boxes out. I mean, most of my physical collection was The Sims 3 and frankly didn't care so much about keeping those anymore.
    here's hoping we collide
  • edemarsedemars Posts: 16 Member
    Digital
    I started out box collecting. I still have all my Sims 1 and 2 games/packs in their boxes. 80% of my Sims 3 packs are boxes, 20% digitally downloaded. For Sims 4, I have about 6 boxed sets of combined expansion and stuff packs. All others I went digital.
    Please help me out with my Wishlist at TheSims3.com! (username: edemars)
  • YannoliYannoli Posts: 48 Member
    Digital

I would love if they had that target sale again. I’d be soooo happy
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,873 Member
    Digital
    Digital now. I don’t see the point of buying an empty box anyway, since there’s no CD anymore.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Box
    Box with a DVD. ! I prefer buying physical things I can touch and keep. Digital downloads feel so volatile, like they can vanish into thin air at any time. It feels like I'm just borrowing the product. Same with music. If I really like an artist I buy their physical CD's.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • KatastrophicSimKatastrophicSim Posts: 90 Member
    Digital
    I used to have pretty much the whole Sims 2 collection on box but low and behold Windows 10 screws everything up and now they're unplayable! Have to go with digital now in which Sims 2 is ALMOST unplayable. Had to downgrade Win10 so it doesn't crash every time I AltTab.
  • MMXMMX Posts: 4,427 Member
    Digital
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Digital now. I don’t see the point of buying an empty box anyway, since there’s no CD anymore.
    Not only that, but you can't even use the DVD cases as replacements either, since there's not even a disc-holder.
    edited July 2018
    MMX wrote: »
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Not only that, but you can't even use the DVD cases as replacements either, since there's not even a disc-holder.

I got the physical copy of The Sims 4 Seasons, and there is a holder where a disc could go, they just don't provide a disc, only a download code.

Honestly, this will be the last physical copy that I'll buy, because I don't see the point of them any more - I only bought the physical copy because it looks nice on a shelf, but apart from that, there aren't any other reasons to get the box.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    Digital
    I don't need box. It takes space and has to be cleaned from dust.
  • soko37soko37 Posts: 593 Member
    edited July 2018
    I prefer getting boxes with actual discs in them, but we're forced nowadays to get it digital through origin which I HATE. I have all sims 2 and sims 3 in boxes with discs inside and I love them, but If all you're getting is a box with a code inside then it's not worth the hassle imo and is just an empty box sitting there. I only have the base sims 4 game as a physical disc, the rest they have made it impossible to buy like that. For sims 4 just do digital, but I didn't want to vote digital because I'm entirely against it and it 🐸🐸🐸🐸 me off.
  • PartiallyBulletsPartiallyBullets Posts: 32 Member
    Digital
    since i first started playing sims i've always collected digitally. i just don't fancy boxes collecting dust in the corner of my room.
  • ThylaxineThylaxine Posts: 25 Member
    Digital
    I think the only physical copies I've owned were Sims Life Stories, Sims 3 base game, and Sims 3 Late Night! Digital copies allow me to never worry about losing my games and being able to play on virtually any PC.
  • AriaMad2AriaMad2 Posts: 1,380 Member
    Box
    I actually do a little of both, but I’m not sure how I’ll go since my Sims Shelf™ is full. I’ll get a DVD holder thing.
    F€€Ł ŦĦ€ ŴΔV€ ØF ŞØỮŇĐ, ΔŞ ƗŦ ĆŘΔŞĦ€Ş ĐØŴŇ

ĴØIŇ UŞ ĆØŇŞUΜ€ ŦĦ€ FŘUIŦ ØF ŦĦ€ ΜØŦĦ€Ř ΔŇĐ KŇØŴ P€ΔĆ€