Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Grainy hair question

Hi everyone!

Undoubtly there are millions of topics about this already (and I even believe I made one, but I can't seem to find it), but I just have a question, my sims' hair is grainy on the spots where it should be shiny (especially noticable on black/dark hairs). How is this possible? The only way to counteract this (it seems) is to not add anisotropic filtering (its on 16x now), but that makes the terrain SO ugly.
Is there a happy medium for this?

Comments

• Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    @Jean does this happen in CAS? Myself and another simmer had a similar issue in CAS after a graphic card update. See this thread: forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/933795/grainy-pixelated-hair/p1

Hope this helps. :)
  • cocococo Posts: 2,726 Member
    @jean Since restoring my settings I haven't had a problem with grainy hair or blurry terrain. Can you show us a picture of what it looks like? I hope you get this resolved :smile:
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    @coco what did you do to restore your settings?
    @jean I’m not at my computer right now to check, but I think you restore the settings like this.

1. Right-click on your desktop and select Nvidia Control Panel.
    2. Click Manage 3D Settings.
    3. In the upper-right corner, click Restore Defaults.
    I did that. But since the filtering is off (instead of x16) my game looks blurry on the floors. The shine is back though.. so I guess it's a trade-off.
    edited May 2018
    @jean Does it look like this?
    MTS_latona-1214336-Screenshot-3.jpg

Without a picture I'm not sure what you mean. What kind of graphics card do you have?

I found this thread, not sure if it's helpful to you though.
    @coco I actually mean more like the textures are there, but if you have the x16 thing off, the distance is blurry. Do you get what I mean?
    My example doesn't look like that, since my textures are present.
    @jean I’m really not sure, I haven’t noticed it in my game. I don’t want to change my settings but is there a very clear difference when you turn 16x on and off? Have you tried playing in windowed mode? A picture would be really helpful so I know exactly what you mean. It could just be the age of the game on newer systems. I assume you’re playing on a desktop and all your graphics settings are on high?