Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

DESTROYED WINTER: Snow is flat, no depth. Snow looks like white paint on the roofs.

Comments

• Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited May 2018
    No offence to anyone but how can you tell from a 10 second clip of the trailer that the snow will be flat? I mean I would understand that you would be mad if you saw a livestream of the game and the snow was flat and not what you were wanting . But a trailer and screenshots aren't doing it justice right now and you are mad over the fact you are basing all your facts on screenshots and a trailer.

Simple, they're building snowmen on flat snow... Snowmen can't usually be made until the snow has fallen to a high level on The Sims 2 and 3.

raw
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    No offence to anyone but how can you tell from a 10 second clip of the trailer that the snow will be flat? I mean I would understand that you would be mad if you saw a livestream of the game and the snow was flat and not what you were wanting . But a trailer and screenshots aren't doing it justice right now and you are mad over the fact you are basing all your facts on screenshots and a trailer.

Well, to be fair, it's all we have right now. But by the same token, we also can't really judge how good something is either. That's why personally, I am eager to get more information.
    #Team Occult
  • 06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    I'm feeling pretty neutral maybe even semi happy, but cautiously so about a TS4 EP for once instead of just vast disappointment but I seriously wonder after reading through a bunch of comments just why no one can be critical of this game? What is wrong with criticism? Criticism has lead to improvements so I think it's a good thing that people are bringing up their issues with the snow, literally one of the only issues, I've seen in relation to this pack. I would be inclined to agree that maybe this isn't how the snow will turn out because they're probably still working on it but the thing that makes me doubt that is that one sim was shoveling a small pile of snow on a ground with barely any accumulation of snow (even without terrain tools, I'd still expect more snow on the ground before breaking out the shovel), and some sims were building a snowmen in the same little snow accumulation. It's not impossible to make a snowman with just a little snow but it is impossible to make a snowman that big, speaking from personal experience.

The thing is, even with this little bit of criticism, EA set themselves up for this kind of scrutiny beginning with and even before the launch of The Sims 4. It's their own fault people have this kind of mistrust and skepticism. If people are used to being continuously disappointed, even with something they initially thought they would like or love then of course everyone in that category is going to look deeper and more critically into everything they do. They've been burned before. They want to be happy and excited like everyone else but the last time they got excited they probably got disappointed in the end. I should know, I'm one of them. EA and Maxis will have to work to earn the trust back. The switch isn't going to flip for everyone with just one EP.

Also, it was just with the last EP when everyone was a stickler for realism and now when people point out realism here in the instance of snow some people want to shoot them down. I don't understand it. First of all, no one's criticism should bring down another person's enjoyment or happiness with something. People dislike, are more critical of or even hate things I think are awesome but I don't let that stop me or put a damper on my enjoyment unless they're making a valid point. Even then sometimes it doesn't matter, I'm still going to like what I like.

Puppies, kittens, and small animals get lost in the snow. It happens. That's realistic. My youngest dog when he was a puppy could barely be seen in the snow or even the huge accumulation of leaves in our yard. We could literally only see his little tail sticking out. My older dog when it snowed so heavily one year it was over 17 inches had to step so high he lifted his front paws to his his head and the back ones up to his sides to walk. I laughed so hard when I saw him trying to do his buisness. We also lost objects in the yard after it snowed and unless I walked outside to go find them before the snow stuck and got higher they couldn't be found until the snow cleared. That's realistic. And snow would accumulate so much on people's roofs to the point it'd damage them there was so much snow. They even warned home owners on the news to be careful because some of them were trying to clear snow and ice from their roofs and falling off of them. We're in the southern part of the US so we don't often get snow or even winter here, but when we get it, we get it.

To the issue of lag due to heavy accumulation, I have never experienced that so I can't actually speak to that. My game, even when I played on a low end laptop never lagged in heavy snow or heavy rain. That's odd, but instead of limiting everyone because it lags for some people how about finding a way to make it work for all people? Why do we always let them get off with doing the least whether it's because when they did the most it affected our gameplay or because we think the least is better than not at all? Some of us act like it's impossible to have a well thought out, well functioning game that strives to be the absolute best. Some of us would also rather hold the game back than let it be great.

Thank you. I keep seeing this lag thing and I also played on a low end laptop and neither snow nor rain lagged. I played so many different world too and never had an issue.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I have to wonder if the amount of snow is related to the specific map and the climate that is set for it. The devs have mentioned the word "climate" now a few times, and I feel like there have been hints that every map will have a slightly different weather result. I mean, Oasis Springs is a desert area and not likely to see much snow at all, just maybe some rain instead. They could still have a winter season, but it might actually be more realistic, like in places like Southern California, their winter doesn't get cold enough to snow. So if the trailer was made using only the base game maps, and the winter scenes were recorded in Willow Creek, which was inspired by New Orleans, it might not get much snow to begin with. But places like Windenburg or Brindleton Bay might be programmed to get full on blizzards sometimes (blizzards have also been mentioned) and so the snow level very well may look completely different during those storms. Even Newcrest might have harsher winters.

If this is indeed how they designed Seasons to be, to follow unique climates in each map, then I would say it might be the most immersive Seasons expansion yet. But if the snow is indeed just made to look like terrain paint, then I agree it would be a big disappointment. But I think it's wise to stay tuned for more information before jumping to conclusions just yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed that you're right. :)

• cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited May 2018

Well every single winter scene and every snow activity shows the flat earth policy that Sims 4 is running with this season...
    Post edited by cactusjuice on
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I am waiting and seeing. I wouldn't be surprised the snow is flat though. I am glad people are bringing it up because well they fixed the ballpit after people voiced their opinions so hopefully they will add depth to the snow as well if it is not already there.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    BMSO wrote: »
    Think I'm part of the majority that likes it flat. Except, I'd like to see it a little more accumulated on the roofs.

Majority of where? In all the discussion topics related to this subject, most people are complaining about snow not having depth. Hahaha.
    And why would not they show deep snow in the trailer? We can expect everything, and that is fact.

Discussions related to the fact that we could not build our own apartments and the elevator had no animations in The Sims 4 City Living started long before the expansion was launched, and in the end everyone was right about what they were discussing.

One does not necessarily have to wait for something to be thrown to draw conclusions, the point is just to wait and see if they will prove right or wrong.

:)
    tenor.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,232 Member
    edited May 2018
    From the beginning The Sims 4 is a light/shortened version of The Sims 2, I'm surprised people don't understand it yet... 4 years later.

Maxis try to avoid to develop non-essential things/eye-candies and stay focused on the gameplay.
    edited May 2018
    From the beginning The Sims 4 is a light/shortened version of The Sims 2, I'm surprised people don't understand it yet... 4 years later.

Maxis try to avoid to develop non-essential things/eye-candies and stay focused on the gameplay.

That description of Sims 4 really doesn't do it any favors because you're effectively saying Maxis is selling a game that has even less features than a now 14 year old game had and yet still demanding AAA dollars for it...
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited May 2018
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    I'm feeling pretty neutral maybe even semi happy, but cautiously so about a TS4 EP for once instead of just vast disappointment but I seriously wonder after reading through a bunch of comments just why no one can be critical of this game? What is wrong with criticism? Criticism has lead to improvements so I think it's a good thing that people are bringing up their issues with the snow, literally one of the only issues, I've seen in relation to this pack. I would be inclined to agree that maybe this isn't how the snow will turn out because they're probably still working on it but the thing that makes me doubt that is that one sim was shoveling a small pile of snow on a ground with barely any accumulation of snow (even without terrain tools, I'd still expect more snow on the ground before breaking out the shovel), and some sims were building a snowmen in the same little snow accumulation. It's not impossible to make a snowman with just a little snow but it is impossible to make a snowman that big, speaking from personal experience.

The thing is, even with this little bit of criticism, EA set themselves up for this kind of scrutiny beginning with and even before the launch of The Sims 4. It's their own fault people have this kind of mistrust and skepticism. If people are used to being continuously disappointed, even with something they initially thought they would like or love then of course everyone in that category is going to look deeper and more critically into everything they do. They've been burned before. They want to be happy and excited like everyone else but the last time they got excited they probably got disappointed in the end. I should know, I'm one of them. EA and Maxis will have to work to earn the trust back. The switch isn't going to flip for everyone with just one EP.

Also, it was just with the last EP when everyone was a stickler for realism and now when people point out realism here in the instance of snow some people want to shoot them down. I don't understand it. First of all, no one's criticism should bring down another person's enjoyment or happiness with something. People dislike, are more critical of or even hate things I think are awesome but I don't let that stop me or put a damper on my enjoyment unless they're making a valid point. Even then sometimes it doesn't matter, I'm still going to like what I like.

Puppies, kittens, and small animals get lost in the snow. It happens. That's realistic. My youngest dog when he was a puppy could barely be seen in the snow or even the huge accumulation of leaves in our yard. We could literally only see his little tail sticking out. My older dog when it snowed so heavily one year it was over 17 inches had to step so high he lifted his front paws to his his head and the back ones up to his sides to walk. I laughed so hard when I saw him trying to do his buisness. We also lost objects in the yard after it snowed and unless I walked outside to go find them before the snow stuck and got higher they couldn't be found until the snow cleared. That's realistic. And snow would accumulate so much on people's roofs to the point it'd damage them there was so much snow. They even warned home owners on the news to be careful because some of them were trying to clear snow and ice from their roofs and falling off of them. We're in the southern part of the US so we don't often get snow or even winter here, but when we get it, we get it.

To the issue of lag due to heavy accumulation, I have never experienced that so I can't actually speak to that. My game, even when I played on a low end laptop never lagged in heavy snow or heavy rain. That's odd, but instead of limiting everyone because it lags for some people how about finding a way to make it work for all people? Why do we always let them get off with doing the least whether it's because when they did the most it affected our gameplay or because we think the least is better than not at all? Some of us act like it's impossible to have a well thought out, well functioning game that strives to be the absolute best. Some of us would also rather hold the game back than let it be great.

Thank you. I keep seeing this lag thing and I also played on a low end laptop and neither snow nor rain lagged. I played so many different world too and never had an issue.
    I’m puzzled by that as well. I also saw a glitch mentioned (gaps at the edges of snow through which you can see the rest of the town) as if that was a general thing. That only occurs in Bridgeport though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2018
    Nonono.

I'm sceptical about how much of a budget went into Seasons, but from what I see, even with flat snow, I don't think winter has been 'destroyed'.

I feel like more could have been done to make snow look deep, but I think that it's got more to do with engine - ie your lot is closed therefore snow only affects your lot and this could end up looking really weird at the edges. Sims 4 has a flat world. People would complain either way so the devs took the path of least resistance. They should have done so much more than just this 'standing on white' thing though.

Also, i feel like, I don't want to wait to make snowmen. As if I don't have to wait to make snowmen enough as it is.

I feel like some people are being way too optimistic about this "Maybe we haven't seen everything" thing though. I used to be like that and got made a fool of by EA. This trailer showed gameplay. Why wouldn't it show snow depth? Look at the guy shovelling snow. The snow just 'appears' on his shovel. It's not taken from anywhere and the ground is white before and after it is taken.

As for fixing, well, there's a HUGE difference between fixing a bad texture for one object and fixing the snow depth for the entire World during a whole season.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.

That description of Sims 4 really doesn't do it any favors because you're effectively saying Maxis is selling a game that has even less features than a now 14 year old game had and yet still demanding AAA dollars for it...

I compared the 3 Seasons trailers and I see as much as new things.

I'm waiting for more informations before telling if TS4 gets less features than the previous games.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member

I compared the 3 Seasons trailers and I see as much as new things.

I'm waiting for more informations before telling if TS4 gets less features than the previous games.

I think this may be the best option suggested, I am a little upset though with Sims 4 being every pack other than SPs are gimped in a way that you can't the most out of them and it may be the reason some are always skeptical about what EA/Maxis releases and I cannot blame them for it. It is with almost all of EA games at the moment where you have to be skeptical. Sims 2013 has left a bad impression in some minds. Ilike the EA of old when they were just starting out, they really produced some very good games way back and now it is the money that drives them and not necessarily the customer.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2018
    Loanet wrote: »
    Nonono.

I'm sceptical about how much of a budget went into Seasons, but from what I see, even with flat snow, I don't think winter has been 'destroyed'.

I feel like more could have been done to make snow look deep, but I think that it's got more to do with engine - ie your lot is closed therefore snow only affects your lot and this could end up looking really weird at the edges. Sims 4 has a flat world. People would complain either way so the devs took the path of least resistance. They should have done so much more than just this 'standing on white' thing though.

Also, i feel like, I don't want to wait to make snowmen. As if I don't have to wait to make snowmen enough as it is.

I feel like some people are being way too optimistic about this "Maybe we haven't seen everything" thing though. I used to be like that and got made a fool of by EA. This trailer showed gameplay. Why wouldn't it show snow depth? Look at the guy shovelling snow. The snow just 'appears' on his shovel. It's not taken from anywhere and the ground is white before and after it is taken.

As for fixing, well, there's a HUGE difference between fixing a bad texture for one object and fixing the snow depth for the entire World during a whole season.

I say the same thing about the engine and we may be wrong too or they scared to push the engine to it's max and may cause havoc for low end systems to deal with which in IMHO was one of the cases in Sims 3. How as LeGardePourpre said in one of his post it best to wait for release and then see if the features stand up or fall.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited May 2018
    The Sims 3 has a persistent world. The Sims 4 does not.

If you want dynamic snow that has perceived depth then you have to potentially rebuild a scene each time you travel - ie to a nightclub, to The Goths house, back to your Sim's house.

What happens when you play the Sims? Time passes.

You have to rebuild scenes to do this because the world is not persistent.

The notion of snow gathering on roofs, etc is easy - but it cannot be done on-the-fly like it is with The Sims 3. There is no way of doing it other than when loading a scene, calculating/re-calculating snow and then displaying the scene.

EDIT:
    ie, how are you simulating snow on lots that are not resident - ie loaded - ie visible?

If the snow is thawing outside a lot and you then travel to The Goths' house then it has to be re-calculated - it may have been summer when you last visited The Goths - every time you go back to their house during snow periods, you will have to recalculate the weather - in terms of actual snow depth, coverage, drift, etc.
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    I think it is more a case of everyone rejoice that Seasons is coming and that Seasons seems to be jam-packed with tons of stuff.

We can quibble over the realism of snow.

Theoretically, we can add snow drift/build-up via modded geometry - ie static - ie you'd have to keep swapping it.

TS3 had snow angels, but those were geometry introduced into the world, then removed. It wasn't some kind of real-time depth effect - it was a mesh.
    edited May 2018
    The backdrop and decorative buildings are a problem for the TS2/TS3 snow system.
    And I don't talk about the San Myshuno's apartments. "Where is the roof ?"

Technically they choose the best way to bring snow to the existing worlds.
  • celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    edited May 2018
    plopppo2 wrote: »
    The Sims 3 has a persistent world. The Sims 4 does not.

If you want dynamic snow that has perceived depth then you have to potentially rebuild a scene each time you travel - ie to a nightclub, to The Goths house, back to your Sim's house.

What happens when you play the Sims? Time passes.

You have to rebuild scenes to do this because the world is not persistent.

The notion of snow gathering on roofs, etc is easy - but it cannot be done on-the-fly like it is with The Sims 3. There is no way of doing it other than when loading a scene, calculating/re-calculating snow and then displaying the scene.

EDIT:
    ie, how are you simulating snow on lots that are not resident - ie loaded - ie visible?

If the snow is thawing outside a lot and you then travel to The Goths' house then it has to be re-calculated - it may have been summer when you last visited The Goths - every time you go back to their house during snow periods, you will have to recalculate the weather - in terms of actual snow depth, coverage, drift, etc.

We think the worlds of The Sims 4 are not persistent, but they are to some extent. When I travel to a particular lot, from another world, and then I go somewhere else, and then return to where I was before, the Sims will still be there. It all involves a matter of internal configuration so that the worlds can store certain information, in the same way they will be able to store information about the texture of snow on the ground and on the roof, not for the simple fact of being the current season of the year.

Not having snow accumulation because of persistence is strange, let's face it. And the game gives examples that can be persistent on several quite specific occasions. If the accumulation of snow does not work properly, the rest of the seasons would not work either, and would be constantly changing with each trip that we were to make, because a station does not only have a fixed look, it is variable.

Post edited by celipoesias on
    tenor.gif
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member

That's exactly what it is though.
    tFU6JMe.png
    Moodbeamy wrote: »

That's exactly what it is though.

I know. It's a sad reality and doesn't offer much hope for 5
    edited May 2018
    The backdrop and decorative buildings are a problem for the TS2/TS3 snow system.
    And I don't talk about the San Myshuno's apartments. "Where is the roof ?"

Technically they choose the best way to bring snow to the existing worlds.

Which is basically saying the Sims 4 base game was so technically flawed in design from the start they had no other choice than to design something a standard mod could have given us
    @cactusjuice

Snow, beach, swimming in the sea, ... in fact the basegame was never designed to support the previous features even if Maxis already knew they will be back.

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited May 2018

::Mic drop::

Kudos to you. This post was perfect.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited May 2018

See, I wouldn't have a problem with this, if they actually did focus on the game play.

They're throwing all kinds of objects at us, but systems that bolster the simulation are severely lacking -- most notably, the Sims' AI.
    Loanet wrote: »
    Nonono.

I agree with the second half of your post. However, the first part isn't exactly true.

TS2 had closed lots, TS4 has a strange hybrid between TS2 and TS3. In TS4, it's entirely possible for the effects that happen on an active lot to also occur in the neighborhood around it, because that part of the world is interconnected. In other words, there's no loading screen necessary to step off a lot and to have a Sim walk around the neighborhood.

So, if there's deep snow on the lot, there's no reason to have the rest of the neighborhood look any differently.

As I mentioned before, TS2's lots were completely closed. Yet, they managed to have differences in accumulation. That was more than a decade ago. What exactly is the issue with TS4?

Some of us keep asking that question. However, there are never any answers forthcoming except for the old standby: "Well, A got the short shrift so that B could be incredible". The issue with that explanation is that, oftentimes, B never turns out to be so new and amazing that it makes up for A being so basic and lacking. EA's explanation for missing facets doesn't ring true.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I still think you are judging the snow unfairly you really haven’t seen how it works a trailer and screenshots aren’t livestream gameplay.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top