Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can I play sims 4 on this?

currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-pavilion-pro-14-bf154sa-14-laptop-silver-10174105-pdt.html

OVERVIEW
Type Laptop
Operating system Windows 10 (64-bit)
PERFORMANCE
Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-8550U Processor
- Quad-core
- 1.8 GHz / 4 GHz (Turbo Boost)
- 8 MB cache
RAM 8 GB DDR4
Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce MX130
- 2 GB DDR3
Storage 256 GB SSD

I've already found out it's not good enough to play sims 3 (and wildly overheats my laptop)
So now I'm wondering is it ok to play sims 4?
I already have the laptop and have been using it for sims 4 and it runs perfectly - like a dream and looks great but does tend to heat up a bit but not in a way that I'd find alarming.
Recently though it is heating up quicker and the Graphics card temp is getting to 60c I think..

Is it safe to keep playing sims 4? or is it going to mess up the laptop?

I'm thinking of just buying a game laptop tbh. I just recently bought this one and it cost me a lot of money..unfortunately I could've bought a gaming laptop for the same, if not less, amount of money :( I only found this out yesterday.

The plan is to sell it for around £600 and use that to get a gaming laptop but for now I'd like to know if I can keep playing sims 4? (and most of the EP and stuff packs)

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    The sims 4 may also overheat the laptop. i posted t you in the other thread in the Ts3 section a laptop that meets all requirements to play the sims 3 and 4. The sims 3 is a complete game but the sims 4 is not . Both have the same requirements for a finished game. is the sims 4 heating up your laptop when you play it? As mentioned before, heat can do permanent damage to any computer. I would not play it if your getting that much heat.

You did not post your hard drive space in the other thread but your hard drive is also very small to be gaming on . You may run out of space to play the game
  • iEllaLouiseiEllaLouise Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2018
    @phoebebebe13 I thought sims 4 needs maximum 10gb space for base? And like 1gb extra per expansion? Which isn’t really that much?
    I see now when I look at the required specs for TS4 I need GTX graphics card like you said. So that’s my fault I overlooked that at the time of buying a laptop by just seeing Nvidia and thinking any of their GC would be fine
    My minimum Ghz is less than recommended but it’s maximum (with turbo boost or something I think) more than the minimum recommend I’m sure.
    I’m just trying to learn all I need to do I can shop around and get the cheapest laptop I can for what I need and to understand what all the info means.
    Does turbo boost not even mean anything?
    I understand now about the different models of the processors and what I need and where I went wrong with my choice but still confused on the SSD vs HDD thing
    (Sorry I realise I’ve said something similar in my last post on the other thing I posted about TS3 - I didn’t realise you’d respond here also, don’t want to annoy by asking the same things sorry..)
    Your processor is a weak quad core processor. the game requires desktop hardware which is allot more powerful . You have to know how to compare laptop hardware vs desktop hardware. Your processor is much weaker than what is recommended on desktop.

I posted to you in the other thread a laptop that meets all requirements compared to the desktop requirements. I'm afraid your not going to get away with a low budget and expect everything you want in a laptop. the more features you want in a computer the more it will cost you. In your budget your not going to be able to get a laptop that meets requirements on processor, video card, ram to include a large enough ssd to game on. You need at least 500gb hard drive space as I explained to you in the other thread. To get a 500 gb SSD in a laptop you need to go custom built and that will cost you around 1000pounds or more. most off the shelf laptops do not give a 500 gb ssd.

I explained to you more about the ssd in the other thread

• iEllaLouiseiEllaLouise Posts: 55 Member
    Looking to buy a new laptop since mine is just not appropriate for TS3/TS4.

I've narrowed it down to 5 HP laptops.
    Rather than link them here I'll just point out the differences between them and the prices.
    I'd like to know which one would be the best to buy for TS4.
    I'm sure they're all able to run TS4 but I don't know which is the best choice hardware wise for immediate use and durability for any EP and repeated usage over years - adding saves and mods and CC.

I'll just name them laptop a/b/c/d/e
    ( all have NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1050 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated) and windows 64 and 1920 x 1080 resolution with 8GB ram )
    I'll also list the screens - (I know this wont greatly affect compatabilty with sims and is more a cosmetic issue which isn't classed as tech that could ruin compatibility but as I said I'm literally just listing the only differences with the laptops)

Laptop a) £659.99 ( on sale from £729.99)
    - 1TB HDD storage and 128GB SSD
    - Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ (2.5 GHz base frequency, up to 3.5 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)
    - FHD IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit screen

Laptop b) £779.99 (on sale from £849.99)
    - 1 TB HDD storage and 128 GB SSD storage
    - Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)

Laptop c) £849.99 ( on sale from £899.99)
    - 1 TB HDD storage and 256 GB SSD storage
    - Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (2.8 GHz base frequency, up to 3.8 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 6 MB cache, 4 cores)

Laptop d) £699.99 (on sale from £849.99)
    - 1 TB HDD
    - Intel® Core™ i5-7300HQ processor Quad-core 2.5 GHz / 3.5 GHz (Turbo Boost) 6 MB cache
    - LED, Anti-glare LED backlighting screen

Laptop e) £899.99
    - 1 TB HDD
    - Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ Processor Quad-core 2.8 GHz / 3.8 GHz (Turbo Boost) 6 MB cache
    - LCD, IPS anti-glare WLED-backlit screen

Obviously I know the most expensive one with the best processor and additional 256 SSD is going to be the best laptop generally and possibly the best for TS4 but I'd like to spend as little as possible.
    Personally I'm going to guess that Laptop c is best? due to it having the largest SSD (I couldn't find 500gb SSD in a reasonable price range)
    I have SSD on my current laptop with no additional HDD storage. My laptop is so quick - the moment I click anything it opens before I can even blink twice. I'd probably install any Sims games onto the HDD except for TS4 and all additional content as I doubt I can put both TS3/TS4 on the SSD comfortably?
    I'm not sure how TS4 would run on HDD with a laptop with appropriate specs as I've only ever used HDD for TS4 on laptops with far less than worthy graphics cards and processors. TS4 and TS3 on my current laptop is crazy fast and looks amazing but my laptop overheats like crazy because I have a weak GC and processor so I've just made the assumption that if I were to use HDD instead of SSD that TS4 will open up and run much slower or definitely noticeably slower.

Which is why I'd like to know which of these will be good enough to run TS4 with minimal to no issues, while being good enough to (hopefully) ensure it'll stand the test of time hardware wise (barring any random issues out of my control or possible damage caused my me or someone else) I'm not sure if EA will release a sims 5 or just build on sims 4 but I'd like to have something strong enough that hopefully I wouldn't have to buy a new laptop for that but ofcourse how can any of us know what'll be required for any future sims game and obviously if that's my concern I'm better off with a desktop (which I'm planning to build in a couple years when I have enough money hopefully)

But overall the last thing I'd want to do is spend a lot on a laptop with storage that I wont really benefit from and/or a processor I don't really need to have now or in the near-ish future.

I won't be storing anything other than TS2/TS3/TS4 and many EP for all 3 games and also mods, Origin, Steam, iTunes, WinRAR and Norton, possibly some minor MMO s. I use USBs for my photos.
    So I don't need much space - My current 256gb SSD has all those things I mentioned above and still has 33GB space left.

I've added as much info as possible in the post since those laptops are pretty similar so you need to know how I use laptops and what exactly I'm wanting so it's easier to answer.

I already got some info about SSD storage and TS4 on another discussion but that was in TS3 part where I shouldn't have mentioned it hence why I've brought it and more to here.

THANKYOU :D

• aidansaysaidansays Posts: 49 Member
    It's good enough to play The Sims 4! (: In The Sims 4 you can customize the settings to fit your computer's specs, and most of the time when you first run The Sims 4 on your computer, it automatically makes sure to match your computer settings.
  • aidansaysaidansays Posts: 49 Member
    Hi there!

If you are doubtful, please check Origin to compare the specs/requirements. Also, most computers can run The Sims 4 as the game is pretty stable with modern day computers. So, you should be good to go! Another thing you can do is look for a gaming computer or a computer that works best with gaming.

Happy simming!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited May 2018
    Hi @iEllaLouise ! From what we've seen in Tech, all of those will run Sims 4 smoothly on Ultra graphics. Sims 4 doesn't care if it's on an SSD or a hard drive (I timed the differences everywhere in the game when I switched to an SSD - there were none, at all, except a second or two on initial start-up). That's mainly an asset for your operating system. I find it also helps in my photo processing software, which accesses the drive a lot. That said, if you're going to get an SSD, get a big enough one to store everything you want on it. I'm fine with my 256, but a lot of people who game heavily find they run out of space.

Post edited by luthienrising on
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Yeah, like what Luthienrising said, TS4 doesn't really differ much whether it's SSD or HDD. But the initial start up might have a difference. Now, if you are going to have a lot of CC and mods, you will be able to see a difference if you install the game and your CC in an HDD.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • Gifted95Gifted95 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello so I’m looking a new computer for college that I will occasionally play The Sims 4. I am currently choosing between the Dell XPS 13 and XPS 15. Over all they both exceed the recommended system requirements however I don’t know if the graphics card would be acceptable. On the XPS 13 it has Intel UHD Graphcs 620 with a 8th generation Intel Core i7-8550U Processor Quad Core 4.0 GHz . The XPS 15 has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050ti with 4GB GDDR5 on a 8th generation Intel Core i7-8750H Processer 6 Ford 4.1 GHz. I wanted to know which computer will mess the recommended requirements and which will I be able to play on at least majority of the setting on high.
    Gifted95 wrote: »
    Hello so I’m looking a new computer for college that I will occasionally play The Sims 4. I am currently choosing between the Dell XPS 13 and XPS 15. Over all they both exceed the recommended system requirements however I don’t know if the graphics card would be acceptable. On the XPS 13 it has Intel UHD Graphcs 620 with a 8th generation Intel Core i7-8550U Processor Quad Core 4.0 GHz . The XPS 15 has NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050ti with 4GB GDDR5 on a 8th generation Intel Core i7-8750H Processer 6 Ford 4.1 GHz. I wanted to know which computer will mess the recommended requirements and which will I be able to play on at least majority of the setting on high.

The 13 does not meet requirements. The 15 meets requirements going by the specs your posting. Just make sure you have a larger 1 tb hard drive if you will also be using the laptop for school
  • EmoSpiritXyenaEmoSpiritXyena Posts: 12 New Member
    Would a dell laptop with an i5-8300H Quad core processor and nvidia GeForce gtx 1050 work well with sims 4?
    Would a dell laptop with an i5-8300H Quad core processor and nvidia GeForce gtx 1050 work well with sims 4?

The specs your posting meet requirements however there are several laptops out there with very small hard drives of only 256 gb. You need 500 gb or more hard drive space . Make sure you check the hard drive space in the laptop
  • VelavaneVelavane Posts: 6 New Member
    I hate to piggy back onto someone else's post, but I can't seem to find a way to post my own question... But I was wondering if this desktop is good enough to play sims 3 and 4?
    Lenovo Ideacentre 710-25ISH High Performance Desktop | Intel 2.7GHz i5-6400 Quad-Core | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 730 | 8GB RAM | 1TB + 8GB SSHD | USB keyboard & mouse | Windows 10
    - sorry for no link, I just tested it and if you search, it should be the first amazon result in google
    also, if so, is this a good enough monitor for it?
    HP Pavilion 21.5-Inch IPS LED HDMI VGA Monitor - same issue with link, should be first amazon result
    I'm not looking for the best of the best, just a computer that will run these two, at least sims 3 if not both
    thanks in advance!
    Velavane wrote: »
    I hate to piggy back onto someone else's post, but I can't seem to find a way to post my own question... But I was wondering if this desktop is good enough to play sims 3 and 4?
    Lenovo Ideacentre 710-25ISH High Performance Desktop | Intel 2.7GHz i5-6400 Quad-Core | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 730 | 8GB RAM | 1TB + 8GB SSHD | USB keyboard & mouse | Windows 10
    - sorry for no link, I just tested it and if you search, it should be the first amazon result in google
    also, if so, is this a good enough monitor for it?
    HP Pavilion 21.5-Inch IPS LED HDMI VGA Monitor - same issue with link, should be first amazon result
    I'm not looking for the best of the best, just a computer that will run these two, at least sims 3 if not both
    thanks in advance!

The 730 card is old and too weak for the games. You need a GTX 1050 or better if using Nvidia.
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > Velavane wrote: »
    >
    > I hate to piggy back onto someone else's post, but I can't seem to find a way to post my own question... But I was wondering if this desktop is good enough to play sims 3 and 4?
    > Lenovo Ideacentre 710-25ISH High Performance Desktop | Intel 2.7GHz i5-6400 Quad-Core | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 730 | 8GB RAM | 1TB + 8GB SSHD | USB keyboard & mouse | Windows 10
    > - sorry for no link, I just tested it and if you search, it should be the first amazon result in google
    > also, if so, is this a good enough monitor for it?
    > HP Pavilion 21.5-Inch IPS LED HDMI VGA Monitor - same issue with link, should be first amazon result
    > I'm not looking for the best of the best, just a computer that will run these two, at least sims 3 if not both
    > thanks in advance!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The 730 card is old and too weak for the games. You need a GTX 1050 or better if using Nvidia.

Hmm... Would it still run them at low(est) settings? If not, do you know if I could just buy this tower and that newer card and have it fit in the motherboard?
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > Velavane wrote: »
    >
    > I hate to piggy back onto someone else's post, but I can't seem to find a way to post my own question... But I was wondering if this desktop is good enough to play sims 3 and 4?
    > Lenovo Ideacentre 710-25ISH High Performance Desktop | Intel 2.7GHz i5-6400 Quad-Core | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 730 | 8GB RAM | 1TB + 8GB SSHD | USB keyboard & mouse | Windows 10
    > - sorry for no link, I just tested it and if you search, it should be the first amazon result in google
    > also, if so, is this a good enough monitor for it?
    > HP Pavilion 21.5-Inch IPS LED HDMI VGA Monitor - same issue with link, should be first amazon result
    > I'm not looking for the best of the best, just a computer that will run these two, at least sims 3 if not both
    > thanks in advance!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The 730 card is old and too weak for the games. You need a GTX 1050 or better if using Nvidia.

Hmm... Would it still run them at low(est) settings? If not, do you know if I could just buy this tower and that newer card and have it fit in the motherboard?

You may not be able to run the whole game without having issues. Especially the heavier eps like pets, seasons, itf and ip. For the price they are charging you on amazon from 3rd party seller for that lenovo you can buy a computer that meets requirements. Makes no sense to buy that computer and attempt to upgrade it. Most off the shelf like HP, lenovo, dell are hard to upgrade. The cases don't have decent cooling. The case and the cooling is just as important inside.
    > You may not be able to run the whole game without having issues. Especially the heavier eps like pets, seasons, itf and ip. For the price they are charging you on amazon from 3rd party seller for that lenovo you can buy a computer that meets requirements. Makes no sense to buy that computer and attempt to upgrade it. Most off the shelf like HP, lenovo, dell are hard to upgrade. The cases don't have decent cooling. The case and the cooling is just as important inside.

Yeah that makes sense... I have been considering building my own but I was hoping to find a slightly cheaper option
    just to make sure, would this one meet requirements?
    SkyTech-Gaming-Computer-Desktop-ST-SHADOW-GTX1050TI-V1/dp/B01M4NUIAR/ref=pd_sbs_147_7?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01M4NUIAR&pd_rd_r=MYA0HPHMY9Q5CYRXC5PR&pd_rd_w=zDBQz&pd_rd_wg=GnoUf&psc=1&refRID=MYA0HPHMY9Q5CYRXC5PR
    Sorry, here is the description
    SkyTech Shadow GTX 1050 Ti Gaming Computer Desktop PC FX-4300 3.80 GHz Quad Core, GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, 24X DVD, Wi-Fi USB, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Black (ST-SHADOW-GTX1050TI-V1)
    Sorry, here is the description
    SkyTech Shadow GTX 1050 Ti Gaming Computer Desktop PC FX-4300 3.80 GHz Quad Core, GTX 1050 Ti 4GB, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, 24X DVD, Wi-Fi USB, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Black (ST-SHADOW-GTX1050TI-V1)

That processor is old and weak

You need a better processor. Intel i5 or AMD FX 8000 series or a new AMD Ryzen 1400 or better
    > That processor is old and weak
    >
    > You need a better processor. Intel i5 or AMD FX 8000 series or a new AMD Ryzen 1400 or better

Okay, I'll look into desktops with all that
    Thank you for your help!
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don't know what your budget is @Velavane but I bought this one at Christmas for around this same price and have been very happy with it, and Chester assured me it would last the life of the game, and it's upgradeable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07717B32S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    > @Pamtastic72 said:
    > I don't know what your budget is @Velavane but I bought this one at Christmas for around this same price and have been very happy with it, and Chester assured me it would last the life of the game, and it's upgradeable.

Oh nice, thanks for posting it, it looks good if it turns out to be cheaper than building my own
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    > @Pamtastic72 said:
    > I don't know what your budget is @Velavane but I bought this one at Christmas for around this same price and have been very happy with it, and Chester assured me it would last the life of the game, and it's upgradeable.

Oh nice, thanks for posting it, it looks good if it turns out to be cheaper than building my own

You're welcome, one thing I forgot to mention, this company doesn't build with generic parts. I learned that from Chester and have since researched on my own. Her and Phoebebebe's help was invaluable since I am not anywhere near an expert in these things.
  • Ages6AndUpAges6AndUp Posts: 2 New Member
    Hope this is ok to post on this thread...
    My laptop, now that I got cats & dogs, just simply isn't running Sims 4 the way I want it to. So I'm looking for somewhat budget friendly laptops (can't be pc, i'm soon off to college) that will definitely run cat & dogs without crashing, and maybe other expansions & stuff packs on better than the lowest settings lol. I think i've narrowed it down to 2 laptops, but if you know of any better laptops for cheap i'd appreciate it.
    So my question is, will these laptops run the way I want them to? Which one is better? Is there much of a difference?

Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6"
    8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
    NVIDIA GeForce MX150 with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
    15.6” Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen display
    8GB Dual Channel Memory, 256GB SSD
    8X DVD Double-Layer Drive RW
    Up to 15 hours of battery life
    Windows 10 Home

Dell Inspiron 15 7000
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8250U Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
    8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
    Hard drive 1TB + 8GB Hybrid
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 940MX 4GB GDDR5

Thanks a bunch! I'm not tech savvy so I don't know much about laptops so any advice is appreciated :)
    edited June 2018
    Ages6AndUp wrote: »
    Hope this is ok to post on this thread...
    My laptop, now that I got cats & dogs, just simply isn't running Sims 4 the way I want it to. So I'm looking for somewhat budget friendly laptops (can't be pc, i'm soon off to college) that will definitely run cat & dogs without crashing, and maybe other expansions & stuff packs on better than the lowest settings lol. I think i've narrowed it down to 2 laptops, but if you know of any better laptops for cheap i'd appreciate it.
    So my question is, will these laptops run the way I want them to? Which one is better? Is there much of a difference?

Acer Aspire E 15, 15.6"
    8th Generation Intel Core i5-8250U Processor (Up to 3.4GHz)
    NVIDIA GeForce MX150 with 2 GB of dedicated GDDR5 VRAM
    15.6” Full HD (1920 x 1080) widescreen display
    8GB Dual Channel Memory, 256GB SSD
    8X DVD Double-Layer Drive RW
    Up to 15 hours of battery life
    Windows 10 Home

Dell Inspiron 15 7000
    8th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-8250U Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
    8GB, DDR4, 2400MHz; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)
    Hard drive 1TB + 8GB Hybrid
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 940MX 4GB GDDR5

Thanks a bunch! I'm not tech savvy so I don't know much about laptops so any advice is appreciated :)

Neither laptop meets requirements

for this game you need laptop specs below

Video Card : Nvidia gtx 1050, 1050 ti or 1060

Processor; Intel I5 or I7 quad core. the series number will end in HQ or MQ . These are processors meant for gaming

8gb computer ram

hard drive space , at least 500 gb ( do not look at laptops with only one 256 gb ssd)

windows 64 bit