Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is The Sims 4 Endgame?

Comments

• mortiamortia Posts: 1,155 Member
    Yes
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    "The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

The right answer is... No

Just I moderate the "80 million Sims players" because it may include The Sims 3 players.

I'm sure counting sims 3 and 2 its way more

Sims 4 has only 5 million copies sold, there is no way it is the majority of that number!
    The sims 1 has 11 mil copies
    the sims 2 has 6 mil copies
    The sims 3 has 7 mil copies

So all together, counting every version, PC has/had about 29 million potential players.
    That 80 million number is counting something else to get so high.

Source
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_PC_games
    Also the comment from some guru somewhere that sims four reached 5 million. Most people here know what I'm talking about and I don't know where to find it so yeah.

The Sims 4 has been confirmed as having over 5 million copies sold. That was a couple of years ago. We don't know how many more copies above that 5 million it has sold since then. (Especially when things like Toddlers and pets are now available.)

Where was that confirmation?
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    No
    mortia wrote: »
    "The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

Just I moderate the "80 million Sims players" because it may include The Sims 3 players.

Sims 4 has only 5 million copies sold, there is no way it is the majority of that number!

So all together, counting every version, PC has/had about 29 million potential players.

Source
    Also the comment from some guru somewhere that sims four reached 5 million. Most people here know what I'm talking about and I don't know where to find it so yeah.

The Sims 4 has been confirmed as having over 5 million copies sold. That was a couple of years ago. We don't know how many more copies above that 5 million it has sold since then. (Especially when things like Toddlers and pets are now available.)

I know you aren't talking to me but this is one of the confirmation.

http://simscommunity.info/2017/03/21/the-sims-4-simgurulyndsay-talks-game-sales-and-cas-gender-update/

That was in 2017 and there is also a forum thread about it.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/914900/sims-4-has-sold-over-5m-copies/p1

Tho it first appeared on 2016 and the interviewer appeared to based the question on the rumors that said the game sold around 5M copies he/she said they had a non official number

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/890007/sims-4-has-already-sold-5-million-copies/p1

Anyways being confirmed that the game sold 5M copies at 2017 while its possibility of reaching up to 5M by 2016 I think the numbers are increase with the release of Cats and Dogs.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member
    edited May 2018
    No
    @LeGardePourpre, was correct,.........?...........@ Writin_Reg ?
    The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection: New Game Patch (April 25th, 2018)
    By SimsVIP - May 5, 2018788,206
    Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter
    On April 25th, EA released an update for The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection on Origin. This out of nowhere update is said to give the game better optimization for Windows 10. The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection was a limited time promotion available through EA’s customer care.
    https://simsvip.com/2018/05/05/the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-new-game-patch-april-25th-2017/
    @LeGardePourpre, said> The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection was recently updated, so there is still a live service.
    @ Writin_Reg Said>
    No that was an Origin update
    ............................................................................................................So yea Sims 2 gets updates, but Sims 2 and Sims 3 are 32 bit, and now apple stop supporting 32-bit games. Also back in Nov.
    Sims 2 Ultimate Collection Gets An Update and Removes SecuROM
    By SimsVIP - November 1, 20173413,302
    Share on Facebook Tweet on Twitter
    The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection received an update in an effort to bring the game in-line with other Origin titles and improve the installation process. According to testing done by Crinrict, downloading and testing this update revealed that EA finally removed SecuROM from this game. This gives the game better compatibility with Windows 10.

If you took advantage of the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection promotion three years ago and did not remove SecuROM manually, just know that this update is probably not going to remove it for you. Head over to the SecuROM Removal Tool for info on removing it.
    https://simsvip.com/2017/11/01/sims-2-ultimate-collection-gets-update-removes-securom/
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes
    Erpe wrote: »
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

That's very vague. Also past tense! I mean that could be across the sims 2, 3 and 4 and mobile. All need Origin now to play.

No it is not through Origin, as there are many games through Origin that are not in the live service - Andrew Wilson said specifically through Live service, and live service is the system that gives the games connected to it all the monthly free content and patch fixes. Sims 2 and 3 do not get the live service - so they are not in the count. As far as I know just Sims 4 and Sims mobile for sure are part of live service - not sure about the console version or Freeplay as they were not mentioned in relation to the live service one way or the other.
    This isn’t about live service but about the end of EA’s fiscal year 2018 as you can see on https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180508006640/en/Electronic-Arts-Reports-Q4-FY18-Full-Year which further down says:
    Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics

Digital net bookings* was $3.538 billion for fiscal 2018, up 17% year-over-year and represents 68% of total net bookings.
    The EA SPORTS™ franchises grew to nearly 90 million players on current generation consoles life to date.
    Nearly 18 million players engaged in competitive gaming across FIFA 18 and Madden NFL 18, up more than 75% year-over-year.
    The Battlefield™ community, across current generation consoles and PC HD, now has more than 54 million players life to date.
    The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

But it isn’t about Origin either because the mobile Sims games aren’t in Origin but in the app stores instead. EA knows when the simmers log on though and also from where because otherwise EA couldn’t show me adds in Danish from small Danish companies in those games like EA does.

Exactly. In the quote I was referring to, the ceo was not talking about the live service it was talking about the number of players. I do not and will never believe the sims 4 alone has eighty million players.
    It also doesn’t mean those are 80 million unique players btw.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    No
    I didn't see 80 million of TS4 players online, not even 200,000 players.
    Actually there are 35,000 players online (0.043% of 80 million).

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection was recently updated, so there is still a live service.

No that was an Origin update - not part of live service. They also updated Sims 3 either right before or right after that and several other older games I have. No one of them were the live service. That is a whole other thing than regular updates and maintenance. Once in live service you stay in live service. Everytime EA updates their system and the Origin system so all the games keep working they get updated. It is pure maintenance - otherwise you would not be able to keep playing the games.

Just like when you get an Origin update - that is not live service - it's an Origin update or maintenance. Our monthly patches and fixes is the live service -
    Your definition of “live service” seems to have changed. There is a difference between the following:
    1. When we play an online game or open TS4 via Origin then the game company can see that we are active. But I play mobile online games that haven’t got an update or new content in more than 3 years. That isn’t live service even though we still can buy things to speed such game up for real money.
    2. Live service is a concept that means updates every months and new quests all the time. For a game like Sims 4 it also means new packs more often but smaller packs to make this possible. So the idea about live service is also the reason why TS4 gets more SPs and only rarely EPs.

It is true that EA can’t know if we still play TS2 or TS3 if we play them from discs. But if we have downloaded them from Origin then I don’t know how the copy protection works? If we then have to logon via Origin as we have to with TS4 then EA can still see how often we play TS2 or TS3 too and count us as active members of the Sims community.

I have about 500 friends in an online game from another company. When I look at them in the list in the game there is a zz with their name if they are inactive. This zz is their only if they haven’t opened the game at all in some days. Maybe a week. But I don’t know exactly how long it takes for the game to change their status from active to inactive. But I guess that EA does something similar when EA is counting the active Sims 4 simmers and the active simmers for the Sims Mobile and for the Sims Freeplay.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    No
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »

That's very vague. Also past tense! I mean that could be across the sims 2, 3 and 4 and mobile. All need Origin now to play.

No it is not through Origin, as there are many games through Origin that are not in the live service - Andrew Wilson said specifically through Live service, and live service is the system that gives the games connected to it all the monthly free content and patch fixes. Sims 2 and 3 do not get the live service - so they are not in the count. As far as I know just Sims 4 and Sims mobile for sure are part of live service - not sure about the console version or Freeplay as they were not mentioned in relation to the live service one way or the other.
    This isn’t about live service but about the end of EA’s fiscal year 2018 as you can see on https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20180508006640/en/Electronic-Arts-Reports-Q4-FY18-Full-Year which further down says:
    Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics

Digital net bookings* was $3.538 billion for fiscal 2018, up 17% year-over-year and represents 68% of total net bookings.
    The EA SPORTS™ franchises grew to nearly 90 million players on current generation consoles life to date.
    Nearly 18 million players engaged in competitive gaming across FIFA 18 and Madden NFL 18, up more than 75% year-over-year.
    The Battlefield™ community, across current generation consoles and PC HD, now has more than 54 million players life to date.
    The Sims™ community had more than 80 million Sims players across PC and mobile in fiscal 2018.

But it isn’t about Origin either because the mobile Sims games aren’t in Origin but in the app stores instead. EA knows when the simmers log on though and also from where because otherwise EA couldn’t show me adds in Danish from small Danish companies in those games like EA does.

Exactly. In the quote I was referring to, the ceo was not talking about the live service it was talking about the number of players. I do not and will never believe the sims 4 alone has eighty million players.
    It also doesn’t mean those are 80 million unique players btw.
    Maybe not. But it doesn’t really matter if you maybe will be registered as 3 different Sims players if you play both TS4, the Sims Mobile and the Sims Freeplay actively. My guess is though that EA just counts your number of accounts where from you are actively playing and people usually don’t have that many different accounts.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Yes
    TS1299 wrote: »
    mortia wrote: »

Source

I know you aren't talking to me but this is one of the confirmation.

http://simscommunity.info/2017/03/21/the-sims-4-simgurulyndsay-talks-game-sales-and-cas-gender-update/

That was in 2017 and there is also a forum thread about it.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/914900/sims-4-has-sold-over-5m-copies/p1

Tho it first appeared on 2016 and the interviewer appeared to based the question on the rumors that said the game sold around 5M copies he/she said they had a non official number

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/890007/sims-4-has-already-sold-5-million-copies/p1

Anyways being confirmed that the game sold 5M copies at 2017 while its possibility of reaching up to 5M by 2016 I think the numbers are increase with the release of Cats and Dogs.
    In fact, until proved wrong, I think to this very day that 5M button was just a way to make the game look more popular than it was back then. People immediately started speculating (and lets me honest, EA loves that with all the riddles and hints and ‘leaks’) and there was never a straight yes or no answer. Just one very vague response in a tweet when asked directly (“what do your guts say” or something like that). As soon as they had reached 5 million copies we openly heard about it. That was after toddlers, which clearly gave the game an enormous boost. Which is why I take all this display of numbers with a grain of salt. To me it feels like those couples who constantly advertise the perfection of their relationship. When you live long enough you start seeing a pattern: quite often those relationships appeared to be far from perfect.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes

Source

We know TS4 community grew of 33% in FY17 Q4 (Toddler Patch + GP04 Vampires quarter) compared to FY16 Q4.

We can imagine 5 million + 33% = 6.65 million

80 million is 16 x 5 million (+1500%), it's something enough amazing that Andrew Wilson wouldn't forget to announce it.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,176 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    Anyway, it remains a positive announcement, I doubt EA will stop The Sims for PC.

Their strategy is still PC, console and mobile.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • JasonRMJJasonRMJ Posts: 744 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    MiSFiT203 wrote: »
    202 votes with 62% saying it's over.
    i know of 2 sim gurus who spoke out saying its not over, one from console and one from mobile.
    zero word from PC team = zero consumer confidence, not a good sign.

sorry, but i have zero interest in mobile or console games, so its not them i want to hear from.
    and to be sure of that i unfollowed anyone not affiliated with the PC team. though at this point and at the past quality
    of the current game, i'm not sure if i'll believe anyone.

That just confirms that it's over.

The console is literally a port from the PC, for the mobile version it's a nothingburger to me.

There are some content I really wish we have for the sims 4 like, weightlifting, magic (more), more gardening features, time travelling, real life features I want the game to be more interesting, I want the game to have a mix of fantasy and reality at the same time.
    39829553185_e53f1e3e20_o_d.jpg

• ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes

Source

last year it was said to be 5 million (over). (thank you to the person above who posted links)
    To reach 80 mil pc players in a year from 29 mil including all versions would be jaw dropping news. I could believe they were at 6 or 7 mil maybe, but there is just no way that 80 mil is PC players. That is all I'm saying. Well that and because of that the 80 mil number does not correlate to sims 4 doing well. It doesn't mean sims 4 is doing badly but it doesn't mean anything about if the sims continue on PC or if the PC games are liked.

If sims 4 was the numbers were bringing the total of simmers to 80 mil it would have had to out sold mine craft (28 mil copies) as a game, they would be breaking records like crazy. I don't know how they are counting and what they are counting but there is no way that 80 mil is current active players of the sims 4. Therefore it means nothing in regards to how well the sims 4 or the PC versions of the game are doing.

Thats it thats all, the number shouldn't mean anything in regards to if the sims 4 is endgame fore PC. :)

Oh actually because I reread what I quoted, I was pointing out to the person I quoted that combined the sims 1 2 and 3 aren't pushing that 80 mil number at all.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    JasonRMJ wrote: »
    i know of 2 sim gurus who spoke out saying its not over, one from console and one from mobile.

sorry, but i have zero interest in mobile or console games, so its not them i want to hear from.
    and to be sure of that i unfollowed anyone not affiliated with the PC team. though at this point and at the past quality

The console is literally a port from the PC, for the mobile version it's a nothingburger to me.

There are some content I really wish we have for the sims 4 like, weightlifting, magic (more), more gardening features, time travelling, real life features I want the game to be more interesting, I want the game to have a mix of fantasy and reality at the same time.

So agree! Your wants for the game are very much my own as well add Uni to that and fame/Hollywood. Hope we get some of those ideas. Magic's a must for me..... Sounds like we have plenty of Sims 4 on pc to come, so I'll be joyfully looking for some of those features for sure.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Yes
    For me it's a yes, it's just gone down hill over the years. Nothing ever changes, it's to kiddy, and way too many short cuts and limitations. At first I thought I would wait for sims 5 but it's just going to be the same 🐸🐸🐸🐸 over again: have to buy all the expansion packs again when they can just put freaking dogs and weather in the base game.
    giphy.gif

• HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No

Which is great news for the fans of this iteration. Still don't think that means there won't be another one eventually.. Sims 5 or some other reboot. Just means they are focused on this game.. as they should be. People are buying it and expecting it to run it's course. When they are doing another game they should be focused on that one. I'm sure they have some other team somewhere deciding about the next one or laying the groundwork. It won't be announced though until it's time.
    egTcBMc.png
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes

Question is, with so much to do, when might anyone see it? Seasons, University, Tropical Vacations, Romance Pack/Chemistry, Farming Pack, Other Lifeforms Pack, etc. etc. ETA: And oh, yeah, don't forget Cars Pack, Xtreme Weather Pack, Career Pack, Traits Pack, and, and, and New Emotions and Aspirations Pack...
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    No
    Cinebar wrote: »

Question is, with so much to do, when might anyone see it? Seasons, University, Tropical Vacations, Romance Pack/Chemistry, Farming Pack, Other Lifeforms Pack, etc. etc. ETA: And oh, yeah, don't forget Cars Pack, Xtreme Weather Pack, Career Pack, Traits Pack, and, and, and New Emotions and Aspirations Pack...

They did say there changing how they do things that's why there was no teaser this quarter. Maybe they will release 2 EPs a year.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Yes
    EA is about making money, as is any company. So how many sold means a great deal to them. But as far as players are concerned, that number is not necessarily an indicator of success. I bought the game the year it came out, played it once or twice. Bought the first EP and played it again once or twice. Then that was it. I have not even looked at Sims 4 since. So my purchase is included in their numbers, but it doesn't actually mean anything.
    What would really be of interest is how have sales trends continued with the packs they've released?
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    No
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    EA is about making money, as is any company. So how many sold means a great deal to them. But as far as players are concerned, that number is not necessarily an indicator of success. I bought the game the year it came out, played it once or twice. Bought the first EP and played it again once or twice. Then that was it. I have not even looked at Sims 4 since. So my purchase is included in their numbers, but it doesn't actually mean anything.
    What would really be of interest is how have sales trends continued with the packs they've released?

I agree with the as far as the players are concerned part I did the same thing with 3. Played it for about a week and tried to force myself to like it. It wasn't a success for me personally either. I even bought it again about 2 years ago in a starter pack.. therefore padding the sales on that game. I played it for 8 hours per origin.
    I'm sure it's selling well (Sims 4) or they would have shut it down. That's the pill people that don't like this game have to eventually swallow. We all don't like the same things.
    Grant recently stated by the way that MFP did well on his twitter while mentioning the backlash (don't remember the wording but I do remember the did well part)
    Either way eventually there will be another Sims game. A company won't just let go of a money maker.
    egTcBMc.png
  • RawlaRawla Posts: 7,495 Member
    No
    There is too much money to be made in this series. I believe it would be a serious commercial mistake not to continue.

That being said, I hope they bring back open worlds and the color wheel for customizing furniture/clothing. (and other things not found in Sims4). For that to be done, Sims 5 must live.
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes
    I believe they will continue to exploit this series, and those willing to be, for some time unfortunately. I hope they put a more genuine effort into Sims 5 than they did with this, but then they lowered bar for Sims4 and it still sold relatively well, so they will most likely lower it even further for Sims 5
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    No
    JasonRMJ wrote: »

me to
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    Yes

Lol - I was just going to post that - seeing it proves Sims 4 - as with all EA game will have a much longer shelf life - just as the CEO has been saying for almost a year now. They are even planning packs for Sims 4 for "Years ahead".

I actually think it's a good idea - as sooner or later Sims 4 will have everything people complain they don't have - well eventually it will.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• BrindletonBrindleton Posts: 415 Member
    No
    Ever time people ask if Sims 4 is over, Grant adds another month to its lifespan :p
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top