Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

"The sims 4 can't have cars. Cars are useless without the open world"

Comments

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I would imagine that they have been thinking about cars since the base game.
  • SimsAddict_244SimsAddict_244 Posts: 274 Member
    edited May 2018
    It's basically confirming that cars in S4 is indeed possible and that they are considering to integrate them in the most meaningful way possible. This is clearly toddlers 2.0 right there, and I hope they are as in depth as they are in this iteration ( bring back car animation, please?).
    The most meaningful way possible does not necessarily mean driving.
    I assume they'll do something like in S2 with cars disappearing into the distance or even bringing back the fixer-upper car to give something to do for our sims.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited May 2018
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    Love this tweet now we can finally have a end to the cars are not possible in Sims 4 comments. We're really trying to think about how to make them interesting and incorporate them in a way that is meaningful sounds like a lot of discussion about cars has been happening with the Sims team, there was a Guru asking what we would like to see with cars last year so hopefully the work is being done on it now and they are past planning.

They sent out a survey about cars long ago so that should have ended the debate, anyway. I think some people forget that developers can pretty much add whatever they want to a game (within reason.) Whether or not some 'system' is currently in place for it is irrelevant. They can add what's needed to make it work.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »

Soooo.... We'd have cars but could not drive them? That's the way it is now, lol. I can't see that happening; cars would definitely be drivable in some way.
    IceyJ wrote: »

Soooo.... We'd have cars but could not drive them? That's the way it is now, lol. I can't see that happening; cars would definitely be drivable in some way.

How? Half the worlds don't have roads and lots don't connect to them. Plus, the roads you do see are fake, FX, not real. It would be like a child with a toy car trying to drive it on the road in a movie on television.
    IceyJ wrote: »

How? Half the worlds don't have roads and lots don't connect to them. Plus, the roads you do see are fake, FX, not real. It would be like a child with a toy car trying to drive it on the road in a movie on television.

I don't know how because I'm not a developer. You can ask Grant, though. Do you think the team would be wasting time on cars if they wouldn't be drivable?

I remember in TS3 when everyone said there was no way we'd get boats when we didn't even have swimmable oceans. Just because we don't know how it's done doesn't mean it can't be done.
    They have said many times that they do not, will not, can not back up and "fix" worlds to add things like ocean swimming and routable roads. Any driving will be in a future pack and probably only that one pack, if at all.

There could be a lot more to cars than just driving on and off a lot.
    They have said many times that they do not, will not, can not back up and "fix" worlds to add things like ocean swimming and routable roads. Any driving will be in a future pack and probably only that one pack, if at all.

There could be a lot more to cars than just driving on and off a lot.

They do not and will not. As for can not, most things are actually possible they just aren't worth the time. If they decide to add cars they will either update the current worlds, add a new one, or make the cars pull out of the driveway only. Each of these 3 scenarios still means drivable cars. I also agree that there will be a lot more to cars that just driving on and off the lot.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited May 2018
    I guess the best we can expect when it comes to cars is that IF they ever decide to add them, they will be a mixture between Sims 2 cars and Sims 3 cars.

The animations Sims 2 had (opening doors, getting in, woohoo and whatever) and the porting The Sims 3 had.

For above mentioned reasons: There are quite a few lots not connected to any road, so they HAVE to make them port to the road if they want to do it.

I am pretty sure they can make ''porting points'' on the ''fx roads'', but the real question is; will they ? Do they think it's worth the amount of work or not?

I am not seeing cars appearing like they were in Sims 2. I doubt they will drive off the lot onto the roads.
    I think the best we can hope for is that cars will be like the boat in Brindleton Bay. It's just a port key to another place and your sim will teleport before they get anywhere near the car.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    It’s pure speculation (but since that’s where we are here that’s allowed :p ) but I still thinks cars were supposed to be part of Sims 4 initially because Grant said so in a 2013 interview. For some reason they were removed from the concept apparently, like toddlers. It’s clear they are seriously considering to bring them back though (and able to do so).
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited May 2018
    Could they fix the road problem in a patch like they did for toddlers and swimming in the ocean in S3 or would it be too massive to do so? Maybe in a future EP/GP?
    Could they fix the road problem in a patch like they did for toddlers and swimming in the ocean in S3 or would it be too massive to do so? Maybe in a future EP/GP?

They have stated that attempting to "fix" old worlds will scramble players saves, so, they won't do that.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited May 2018
    I think that the TS4 cars will basically be just like TS2. At least, that's how they will function in the worlds that exist as of today.

Players with large enough lots will probably be able to lay down driveways and build garages. Possibly, the cars will appear at the end of the lot, roll up the driveway and into the garage that has an animated door, like TS2 and TS3.

However, in subsequent worlds, I see no reason why the cars couldn't be able to pull off the lot and drive to the exit point of the 'hood. For worlds that haven't even been built yet, it's quite possible to have drivable roads. Maybe even car pools.

Players who are satisfied with cars that simply teleport off the lot can simply keep their families in the existing worlds. Those who would prefer to see the cars actually driving through the 'hood would need to move their families to a newer world. Or, a good compromise would be something like the community vehicle lot idea that I had for City Living/apartment dwellers -- tenants take the "elevator" portkey down to a garage lot. They can interact with their cars from there.

Whatever EA decides, cars are a possibility. They have already proven with Cats & Dogs that they are perfectly capable of compartmentalizing certain features to specific worlds.

Edited to add: Whatever object that EA uses to direct the cars on a lot (a driveway or something else) I hope that it will be visible in build mode and be invisible in live mode. That way, we can use terrain paints and/or tiles to have the drives look however we want, rather than to be stuck with the colors/textures that EA decides that we should have.
    Post edited by Cynna on
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • LaneBoy1995LaneBoy1995 Posts: 133 Member
    More than a sim owning a car I missed the cars that take our sims to work, buses for school. The way sims teleport is the thing that I really hate about sims 4.
  • CanoroCanoro Posts: 8 New Member
    not having cars in The Sims 4 is like not having shoes.
    Sims 3 players would say "why have shoes in The Sims 4 if there is no open world? they are useless, you can't even lace your sneakers, delete them from the game!"

maybe is because it is so common to the human experience, almost everyone in the world have shoes, just like almost every household in the world have a vehicle, teaching your teen how to drive, getting your first car, getting a ticket, a crash accident, buying a better car as you get richer, getting a wild car to go for a ride with your friends, customizing it, restoring an old car, having talks in the car, camping on the back of your truck, it has so much meaning to our lives. anybody who lives in a house that doesn't have a car don't know how much they are a part of our lives, without them, life is just not complete.
  • Amapola76Amapola76 Posts: 1,904 Member
    I definitely thought the cars were a great addition to TS2, and I'm not even a car person. But I always wanted to have at least one blue collar family where one of the adults was a mechanic, my 🐸🐸🐸🐸 families always had an old junker parked outside, and with the rebuild and paint interactions, it was nice to have sim parents teach their kids how to make car repairs. (I can't remember whether you could literally teach other sims to do anything with the car, but you could definitely have two sims work on the car at the same time.) It was always so cute to see, for example, dad sim working on a car with his teen daughter. Very sweet, and reminded me of my own dad teaching me how to do basic car repairs.
  • bayleafcandlebayleafcandle Posts: 23 Member
    I'm not sure if this is an unpopular opinion here (new forum simmer!), but I'm not too eager to get cars. I feel like even if they were to work fine in closed world, it wouldn't be that exciting for me personally :p
  • AngelluluAngellulu Posts: 634 Member
    I had this idea for cars for awhile:

They can be Sims 2 style, fixing, sitting and driving animation, etc. PLUS when sim drives off lot into the loading screen (well first you pick the destonation) we could have a little video - 3rd person view of your sim and car driving forward down some road with familiar to us worlds around them (like windenburg going to oasis springs could slowly transition to desert and cactuses instead of trees and green) and itll be like a more visual way instead of loading plumbob spinning, itll be relaxing and when new place loads the car just drives and parks in designated parking lot for that neighborhood and Sim gets out of car, locks it by beep beep, and walks to lot.

What do you think?
  • IceColdPainIceColdPain Posts: 35 Member
    I actually don't want cars or open worlds, however, I do think making like a "race park" with some livable lots, in a small fixer upper town would give a lot of people what they want, they can build and work on cars, they can practice and attened raceing events at the track near by, and maybe have a street drift race at night.
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    idk I would love cars but I don't see too much practicality in having them in Sims 4.

In Sims 2
    cars were great because after you called a Taxi you had to wait for it to arrive on your lot, same with going to work, you had to wait for the carpool that came to get you an hour before work started. Your sim owning a car meant that they could leave later for work and leave earlier to go to where ever they were going!

In Sims 3 it worked because of the open world, though I do have an off topic question: was the carpool supposed to stop after buying a car for your sim in Sims 3? Because in my 10 years of playing I could never get the carpool to actually NOT come. But anyway it worked because otherwise, we'd spend most of the sim day watching our sims walk from point A to Point B.

In Sims 4 you open the phone and your sim just falls off the face of the earth, there is no waiting for a certain object to appear to take you somewhere. You just go. I could see a real benefit to cars if they revamped how traveling worked, where they would have to wait for a taxi or SimUber or something to get to work or for traveling to other lots. Otherwise, I see the dev team adding them as nothing other than just decor, which there is already CC for cars out there as decor.

And if they do add cars I dont want to see them just teleport into the vehicles, like how the do with Jetskis and Boats and Cars from Sims 3. I would love to the see the finer details like Sims 2 had, where the junk cars they had to slam the door twice to get it to close, I want to see them actually enter the vehicle and drive down the drive way.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    Sims 2-style cars would be great!! Watching our sims enter their cars and drive away was a nice touch.

Sure, this would not work on every lot, and I'd imagine they'll be putting restrictions in place for the lots that aren't connected to the road at all. That's fine. The Windenburg island does not need cars. Maybe it could have boats instead. Maybe we won't be getting JUST cars... let's think bigger; we might get vehicles in general. Bicycles. Boats. Off-road vehicles. Yes.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    It's basically confirming that cars in S4 is indeed possible and that they are considering to integrate them in the most meaningful way possible. This is clearly toddlers 2.0 right there, and I hope they are as in depth as they are in this iteration ( bring back car animation, please?).

where do toddlers come into requests for cars feature?
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon