Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Caroline and Friends - currently working on University Life Badges

KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
edited March 1 in Nominated Threads
Caroline and Friends Episode 1 is now available on YouTube

https://youtu.be/W2AmGWwbxVc

Meet Caroline

She buys a starter home and furnishes it with basic furniture

She does some training and gets a job as a Lifeguard.

The purpose of this game initially was to get some badges.

Caroline is currently working on finding 5 hidden islands.

She will then concentrate on managing a 0 star resort.

Throughout the first few videos she is working towards her lifetime wish which is to be a Seaside Savior. She joins the Lifeguard career in Episode 1.
Post edited by EA_Solaire on

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    edited December 2017
    Caroline and Friends Episode 2 is now available on YouTube

https://youtu.be/1dQsq0XNp14

In this video Caroline visits China to try to find treasure she can sell to be able to afford to furnish her new basic home in Isla Paradiso.

Her Isla Paradiso home.

Caroline001.jpg

It is currently furnished with objects to take care of only basic requirements and all objects are of low quality - they are cheap and she wants a nice place in which to live.

Caroline is in the Lifeguard career.

Caroline016.jpg

Her reason for existing is to complete the badges available in Island Paradise.

She needs to get badges to
    1. Find 5 hidden islands - I've done this before but no badge - apparently you have to have a one sim household to get the badge
    2. Run a 0 star resort for 7 days
    3. Run a 5 star resort for 7 days - I've done this before but no badge - apparently you have to have a one sim household to get the badge
    4. Beat 3 sharks in a fight - I have managed to do this several times without the badge being awarded
    5. Have 5 parties on a houseboat

Then, having completed the first 4 badges listed above she gains a housemate, Wilma. They have the houseboat parties.

Once all of the Island Paradise badges have been achieved the ladies move on to University Life badges.

In the last video I have currently recorded I built them a bowling alley in Isla Paradiso and they are working on badges pertaining to bowling.

This current video, Episode 2 in China, is the only time I expect to see Caroline in a World Adventure world. But things can change.

My series on the Isla Paradiso Bunch is thoroughly working through all of the tombs in all of the World Adventure worlds so I don't necessarily feel there is a need for Caroline to do that too. She's in China in Episode 2 to get some easy simoleans.

Caroline and Friends - Episode 3 is now up on YouTube

https://youtu.be/C2PPs73Bzh8

It is still early stages of this video series and Caroline is a brand new sim. She starts out without skills so she needs to do a lot of work to get to a point where she can do things well.

This is part of the reason I started Gertie McFluff off at level 10 in a heap of skills - but with no experience in using the skills.

In this episode Caroline patrols the beach and rescues at least 2 sims from drowning.

The paparazzi who she had to ask about Refuge Island got replaced and she now has to speak to a different sim.

I don't think I did this though as in the video I notice the paparazzi on the beach and send her to ask him about the island but the option isn't available. She can, and does, talk to him but her runs away again.

Somewhat later, in this video, she has to do an opportunity to jog for a while and then return the device to a sim. When she returns it to him he has the option to ask about Refuge Island.

I don't know who he is but he isn't paparazzi and he is happy to chat and gives her the next step in the adventure chain. He's an elder. There are pink hearts. But she's not going to be interested in him once he's given her all the info she needs.

She needs to learn to dive so she's started snorkelling too. She could go buy the kelp, but she will need to be able to dive as there'll be lots of diving involved in various tasks she's going to need to carry out in future episodes.

We also see her in the gym as working out increases her job performance score. I'll have her working on charisma and athletic skills a lot until she gets to level 10 in her career. Otherwise it'll take to long for her to get there.

Happy Simming.
  • BlargianBlargian Posts: 197 Member
    Love the effort you are putting into this!
    KYkPuFT.png?1
    Bloodlines: Gustav & Ishka's Legacy | Family Tree: Echo + Plum | ID: Jalooloo
    @Blargian thanks for your comment. I do try - I hope you're enjoying the videos.

Here is the next one

Episode 4 of Caroline and Friends is no on YouTube

https://youtu.be/Qh-r0vqZILs

This is a busy video with Caroline participating in a variety of activities including diving, harvesting kelp, rescuing sims from drowning, staying at a resort, walking on burning coals, studying charisma at the library and meeting new sims.

I hope you enjoy watching it.

Happy Simming
  • BlargianBlargian Posts: 197 Member
    Island Paradise was the only Sims 3 Expansion I didn't have! D: So nice to see it through your story.
    KYkPuFT.png?1
    Bloodlines: Gustav & Ishka's Legacy | Family Tree: Echo + Plum | ID: Jalooloo
    Blargian wrote: »
    Island Paradise was the only Sims 3 Expansion I didn't have! D: So nice to see it through your story.

Thanks for the comment. You might enjoy the Isla Paradiso videos too. The beginning of the series are all in Isla Paradiso but I was just starting out making videos and didn't have a proper microphone or software to use to make the videos so the quality isn't as good as the newer videos. I've only had the new software for about 3 months so am still learning. Hope to continue improving.

Happy Simming.
    Caroline and Friends - Episode 5 is now available on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/edbKL7eCOVM

Caroline patrols the beach - fast - I seem to have had it on speed 2 during this part of it. She rescues some sims (yes more than one) from drowning. Then she goes diving and we fix Mia Azul so she has scales and a tail in future - used Master Controller to do that. She is looking for a shark to fight but no sharks were seen. Maybe she needs to be a better diver so she can visit more dangerous dive lots. A few other little things happened too.

Sorry for the big delay - I had a few issues involving the weather (real life too hot) dogs (twice disconnecting things from the computer while I was narrating) and finally the software I was using to make the video stopped working. But today all went to plan and it's up.

I hope you enjoy it.
    My video of Caroline and Friends - Episode 6 is now available on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/8jqFaVT8wq0

Enjoy
    Here is the link to Episode 7 of Caroline and Friends.

https://youtu.be/m57ypTmaELI

In this episode Caroline is quite busy. She rescues several sims from drowning - I actually lost count but I think it was more than 6 all up throughout the video. She also finally managed to beat one shark in a fight. That completes her requirement for the next step in her quest to find Refuge Island, but I've decided to keep her there and try for the badge to beat 3 sharks in a fight. So next episode she'll be fighting two sharks at the very start.

Caroline did a few other things too - such as chat with Triton King and read a book at the library.
    It's been a while since I put Episode 7 of Caroline and Friends onto YouTube.

I've been diverted from my stories to make a few tutorial videos that I've been posting in the Builders section. Several of my friends on the forum have been making requests that I do these tutorials so I thought I'd better get to work. I still have more to do but hopefully they are coming to an end soon.

In the meantime I'm trying to catch up with a few of my story videos. Caroline and Friends is the next one in order that is due to be posted and I'm happy to say that Caroline and Friends Episode 8 is now on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/pNfN___I3k8

In this episode a few of the things she's been working towards in previous episodes finally happen.

She completes the adventure she started in Episode 1 to find Refuge Island.

She gets me the Shark Smark badge by beating 3 sharks in a fight.

She rescues several sims from drowning and goes scuba diving.

I do hope you are able to watch this episode as it is quite eventful.
    Caroline and Friends Episode 9 is now on YouTube

https://youtu.be/fGPt1kNOjiw

In this video Caroline is on the beach just after she finished her shift as lifeguard. She's got a portable radio from University Life EP and is experimenting with interviewing a few sims.

Later on she goes home and has a sleep while we go and investigate Hobarts Resort. She purchased the resort as a way of earning the badge for running a 0 star resort for 7 days.

There is quite a lot to do the Hobarts to ensure it is rated with 0 stars.

Caroline also needs a houseboat as there is a badge that requires a sim to throw 5 parties on a houseboat. She buys Destiny of the Sea - a party boat and has a go at having a party but she isn't living on it yet and most of the guests stay on the jetty - they don't want to come on board the boat.

This is quite a short video for the Caroline and Friends series as it runs for less than 20 minutes.

I hope you enjoy it.

Destiny of the Sea is a party boat made by blunote00. She made the houseboat soon after Island Paradise was released and it is on the Exchange. Here's the link. There is no third party CC on it.

Destiny of the Sea

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=7574925

Episode 10 of Caroline and Friends is now on YouTube

https://youtu.be/orAzGRlUJDU

Caroline rescues sims from drowning, she gets a badge for running a 0 star resort for 7 days, goes diving in her retro diving suit and has a party on her houseboat as well as working on her mixology skill.
    I'm sorry I've not uploaded a new video in this story for a while. I will get onto it soon. I have the video recorded for the next episode but have to put it together into a video soon.

I've been sick and then got diverted into setting up a huge group of worlds with over 600 sims in them to continue the Story of Oscar and Louise and also the McFluff Story. I'm going to try to tell both of those stories with the single game. It has numerous worlds - I haven't counted them all but will be adding a few more before I start recording video in it. Until then the videos will continue on as usual.

This series of videos on Caroline and Friends is about to find new friends moving in with Caroline. Soon she will have completed all of the badges in Isla Paradiso - video of this is already recorded - and once she's done that Caroline and Wilma and others will start working on University Life and other badges.
    edited September 2018
    Episode 11 of Caroline and Friends is now on YouTube. Please Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/s6ZCd8LG7V4

In this episode Caroline achieves her Lifetime Wish of being a Seaside Savior by rescuing 50 Sims from drowning. It's taken a few episodes to get to 50 rescues but she got there at last.

Next step was to go for the final badge - Throw 5 Parties on a Houseboat. She has moved onto the wonderful Party boat, Destiny of the Sea. It was made by @blunote00 and is on the Exchange. Caroline gains a housemate while living on the houseboat. Wilma arrives.

Once the badge is achieved, Caroline sells the houseboat and moves back into her original house.

Now that they have completed all of the Island Paradise achievements Caroline and Wilma will start working on the University Life badges in future episodes. They will eventually be joined by several new friends as different personalities are required for various badges.

Happy Simming
    I have just spent most of the past 2 days setting up a special Sims 3 folder for Caroline and Friends. The reasons for doing this are

1. Most of my games are becoming very complex and I am worried about the files that keep track of progress towards badges becoming corrupt, I thought the chances of the various files that keep track of progress towards awarding of badges would have the least possibility of becoming corrupt if only this game was contributing to their contents.

2. I don't want other games to accidentally gain badges that I am working towards with Caroline or one of her friends.

Now that Caroline has completed all of my outstanding Island Paradise Badges, Wilma has joined her and they will now be concentrating on badges relating to University Life. I have made a list of my outstanding University Life badges and there is approximately 46 badges for them to complete.

A third household member has joined Caroline and you will meet Katie in the next video. Katie is an evil sim and she'll be concentrating on badges relating to the criminal career and evil sims as well as the University Life badges.

Having writing out, by hand, a list of the outstanding UL badges, it seems I may need to add more sims to the household to give myself the best chance of achieving the badges. There is one badge on the list that I believe may not be achievable if patched to 1.67. That is the Sunlight and Water badge. It requires a Plant Sim to Photosynthesize and absorb 20 puddles. I believe I may have to be patched to only 1.55 to get this badge to work. I am not about to uninstall my games to get a badge awarded so have decided to complete the requirements of the badge and if it is not awarded I will put it down to experience and move on.

I do have an old game somewhere with a group of sims in it that were created especially for some of these badges so I will try to dig that game out of an archive and grab some of the sims from it - or else do some research again to determine the best traits to assist with the achievement of some of the more complex or difficult badges.

Here are pics of the current household.

Caroline015.jpg
    Caroline

Caroline158.jpg
    Caroline and Wilma go bowling - there is a badge they need to get to go bowling with a sim 15 times. I built this bowling alley for them. They did go bowling once already, but that was before I made the new Sims 3 folder so I suspect they'll need to do it all over again.

Caroline157.jpg

Caroline156.jpg

Caroline-And-Wilma002.jpg
    Caroline and Wilma

Here are a few pics of the new girl, Katie
    KatieKingston002.jpg

KatieKingston005.jpg

Since Caroline has completed the Island Paradise badges, I've been thinking of moving her household to a new world. I'll probably take their house with them as I've been gradually upgrading it. Or I might just start again from scratch. They have a bit more money now and I'd like them to have a larger lot so they can have a reasonably large garden. They'll need access to herbs and coffee beans for a few of the badges. And I like gardens.

I haven't decided which world it'll be yet - but it'll be an EA World. I was thinking of Riverview or Sunlight Tides. Sunlight Tides might be better as I can build dive lots there. I've built one in Riverview once, and it worked but was very tiny.

Just in case you are wondering, yes you can put dive lots into other worlds. Here's the link to my YouTube tutorial on adding a dive lot.
    https://youtu.be/xQYREabahSE

I'll be working on the next Caroline and Friends video now and it'll be the next video I post to my YouTube channel.

Happy Simming

• lanlynlanlyn Posts: 5,013 Member
    @Karritz Good idea to keep your Caroline and Friends saves separate for earning badges. ...Wow! I didn't know how many badges were in University Life. ...I like the bowling alley you made. ...I also enjoyed seeing the screenshots of the 3 ladies you're working with now.

...Great tutorial for dive lot building. Very organized and thorough. I like how you wrote the steps out along with showing the full process. ...Nice sims used for your testing. And Sunlit Tides is a beautiful world for the dive lots. ...I've put diving spots in a few worlds. It took me a couple of tries before I got the hang of it. I also used some of your suggestions to help me.
    Episode 12 of Caroline and Friends.

Caroline finally has friends.

https://youtu.be/zq_y7ytdS0s

In this video Caroline and Wilma start out going bowling in the bowling alley I made for them in Isla Paradiso. It's Winter. You get to see lots of the locals enjoying the facilities in the venue as well as Caroline and Wilma playing bowls together. There is a badge involved - go bowling with a sim 15 times. But, since the next thing I did was save their household to the library, after packing up all of their household belongings, and then adding them to a new game in Sunlit Tides, I suspect their progress with this particular game of bowls won't count towards that badge.

They now live on a 50x50 lot in Sunlit Tides. I will continue to work on designing, building and decorating their new house.

In this video we don't see much of them in Sunlit Tides because I got them to do the entrance test to University soon after they were placed into their new home and they quickly enrolled and left for the university world. At this point there are three of them living in the house - Caroline, Wilma and Katie.

Next video will be their time at University. When they get home, probably not until episode 14 or later, they will get two new housemates in Sunlit Tides.

Caroline-And-Friends-Episode12-Thumbnail-With-Logo.jpg

You know Caroline, Wilma and Katie. The other two are Marie and Enid.

Marie is an old sim I originally made a few years ago to get the badge Woohoo Herbs and Guitar - As a Rock Star burn Sweet Grass in a bonfire and Woohoo with a sim at the theater.

So far she's never done any of that, but I have played her and you've seen her around occasionally - she has the 'braids and pigtails' hair from the store.

Marie-Clarkson001.jpg

Marie wasn't happy - she was playing in the ocean when I made her change into her everyday outfit so she'd have her correct hair on. She was allowed to get back into her swimwear as soon as I got her pic.

And I need a sim who can get all 6 degrees. I decided to make a new one for the purpose - mostly because I had an idea for a sim and felt like making a new one. She's got Starfruit skin. Her name is Enid Makepeace.

Enid Makepeace
    Enid-Makepeace001.jpg

Since Caroline, Wilma and Katie are all at University, I can't add Enid or Marie to the household just yet. They'll have to wait patiently in my library for the time being.

I didn't play today - but I did manage to load the video to YouTube so the day wasn't totally wasted. I think I feel a little better tonight. I have to go to the dentist in the morning. Just another checkup and clean. I'm not expecting any issues.

That's it for now

Happy Simming all.

EDIT: Bit of useless info - the orange colour I used for the writing and border of the pictures in this post is the 2019 colour of the year, Living Coral.
    @lanlyn thank you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed the dive lot build video - it does seem to be one of my more popular videos.

I was a bit confused with sending Caroline and her friends to University but now they've been there for a couple of days I'm starting to get used to it. I'll continue playing them until they return to Sunlit Tides before moving on to another video. That means there'll be one more Caroline and friends video, at least, before I move on to the next story. We don't actually see them at University in Episode 12.
    @Karritz Re: Caroline & Friends video 12. ...Is the bowling badge about bowling 15 separate games with another sim or going on 15 outings with a sim? ...I bet the girls will have high bowling skills by the time the badge is earned! ...I don't see paparazzi taking photos any more in my games because I have the celebrity system turned off. ...So when sims move to a new world, do some badge/achievement stats reset? I've heard that happens sometimes with LT Wishes. ...Oh, but you got the 5 star resort badge after placing the resort somewhere else. Interesting. I guess that badge was tied to the lot instead of a sim. ...I like your resort. All the windows and glass walls to the ocean. The blue bubble designs. So pretty! ...I always try to use that shell wall decor, but never can find a good place for it. Nice to see it in game.

...The 3 girls all seem to have different personalities. Fun. ...I've never tried to have a sim earn all 6 degrees! Enid has a good set of traits for that goal. ...I just learned that sims can apply for financial aid with the academic adviser through the Administration Center at Uni every 24 hours. I didn't know anything about that before. Learn something new about the game all the time!
    @lanlyn I assumed the bowling badge requires 15 outings but i will have to see what happens and let you know later.

Caroline got the badge for running the 5 star resort when she was the only sim in the household. I just didn't show the resort in the earlier videos so decided to show it in this video. Wilma was with her by then. But Caroline got the badge before Wilma moved in.

I had the resort already built when playingbthe Isla Paridiso Bunch game. It did appear in those videos. My sims in that game ran it for ages as a 5 star resort. They n ever got the badge. I later learned it has to be a single sim household and the sim can own only one resort at tge time for the badge to trigger. So I saved it to my library and when Caroline was ready to try for the badge i placed the resort in her game expecting she'd have to run it for 7 days but the badge was awarded immediately.

By then the only badge to get was the 5 parties on a houseboat badge. That didn't require a single sim household so I moved Wilma in. And when I decided to video it to show it off I sent both of them to the resort. But she got the badge before Wilma moved in with her.

I did show off the resort in the Isla Paradiso Bunch videos at some point.

Regarding my assumption that progress towards the bowling badge will be lost. I assumed this because I saved Caroline, Wilma and Katie to my library after packing up their belongings. Then I made a new Sims 3 folder and launched a new game in Sunlit Tides and saved it in that new Sims 3 folder after I placed the household in a new lot in that new game. I'll be building them a new house on that lot and will add Marie and Enid to the household later when Caroline, Wilma and Katie return from university.

I've discovered the administration center is very useful to visit. I hadn't applied for funds yet though as Carolinbe has simoleans but she might need them later to help build the house so I might get her to try for funds. I sent themnthere for 2 weeks so they'll have time to do a rew things
    edited January 2019
    @Karritz I may have gotten mixed up about the resort badge. Thanks for explaining. I received that badge when I was doing the 112 Day Challenge with my business sim, Maxwell Abbott. ...I think I lost a little progress on a lifeguard LTW when my sim moved to a new world, but I don't know if that happens all the time.
    lanlyn wrote: »
    @Karritz I may have gotten mixed up about the resort badge. Thanks for explaining. I received that badge when I was doing the 112 Day Challenge with my business sim, Maxwell Abbott. ...I think I lost a little progress on a lifeguard LTW when my sim moved to a new world, but I don't know if that happens all the time.

It might depend on the opportunity or wish or badge.. but I expect the way I 'moved' Caroline and her friends to Sunlit Tides would result in loss of progress towards the bowling badge. I wasn'tworried about it as they only went bowling once in Isla Paradiso.

Today I spent some time recording more video. All three of the students were on the Dean's List. Katie got sick for exam day. However Wilma and Katie aced their exams. Caroline refused to do either of her exams and skipped class for both of them.

Wilma almost skipped one of hers but I found the option for her to sit for the exam by clicking on the building. But there was nothing I could find to do to get Caroline to show up for either of hers. I got her into the building but that's as far as it got.

I think there will be a few videos of them at uni. I've started putting the first together.
    I launched the game this morning and found Wilma had been saved in a bit of a predicament.

Wima-At-University001.jpg

The 'It's Dark' negative moodlet sent me looking for her.
    @Karritz RE: exams. I remember I had trouble getting one of my sims to an exam once. But then I wondered if the schedule had been off--like when a notice is given for the car pool when my sim is actually on leave. My sim took the exam a few days later and there was no mention of a failure for the first one. I hope Caroline isn't penalized for missing her exam. ...Yikes! Poor Wilma. She really did get stuck!
    lanlyn wrote: »
    @Karritz RE: exams. I remember I had trouble getting one of my sims to an exam once. But then I wondered if the schedule had been off--like when a notice is given for the car pool when my sim is actually on leave. My sim took the exam a few days later and there was no mention of a failure for the first one. I hope Caroline isn't penalized for missing her exam. ...Yikes! Poor Wilma. She really did get stuck!

@lanlyn I had a thought later on - maybe she didn't need to do the exam. She got a high score for Business on her University Entrance test. She still has one week to go at uni for this visit. Her study progress bar is still green and almost to the top.

Carolines-University-Entrance-Results001.jpg

I didn't play today.

I worked on the video for a while. I think I've got it finished. I'll probably load it to YouTube tomorrow. It runs for 18 minutes.

I was going to add more to take them up to their exam but decided people struggle to watch 30 minute videos - although others ask for them to be longer (at least 30 minutes) - so it's hard to know how long to make them. I thought doing one that covered the complete first week at uni would be logical, but then decided to stop it midway through that week.

I mix the video length up a bit - as you may have noticed - because of feedback. The videos are either too long or too short depending on who's watching.

Also, YouTube seem to prefer people watch for longer in one go. I can't do anything about how long people watch in each session so I pretty much ignore that. My channel isn't monatised so it doesn't really matter but if it scored higher (from longer watch times) YouTube would advertise it more and I'd get more views. Sometimes it's a bit disappointing to spend a week making a video and it only ends up with about 6 views. But that's life.

I often feel as if I ought to quit making Sims 3 video stories. But I have a few series going and would like to continue with them and resolve at least a few of them. I don't think I'll start any new stories. I think I'll end up combining the remnants of a few stories into the Big Game and maybe just concentrating on different households in that game later on. Just posting as often as I can manage.

Now I know a bit about YouTube, I want to start another channel not related to Sims and I'll probably want to monetise that one so will most likely put more time into it eventually. But it doesn't exist yet and I am not sure when I'll launch it. My new channel will be all about my art work.

Today I had a couple of sessions working on the current portrait I'm painting. I have finished the first portrait - it is the smallest of the 3 I'm currently doing. I've already delivered the drawing. The portraits I'm painting are all being done in oil. I did initially plan to use acrylic but for some reason I ended up using oil. That means I have to contend with drying time. But I'm loving working in oil again after not touching it for about 4.5 years.

Now I've rambled on a bit about nothing in particular I might play for a short time and then shut down for the night. It's getting late here and I'm still coughing too much. But I imagine I'm getting better.

Happy Simming

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top