Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you want Story progression to be Brought back?

BookworkgirlBookworkgirl Posts: 129 Member
edited May 2018 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
If there is anything in my post that you do not understand please comment

Please bring it back!

https://simsvip.com/2014/07/02/the-sims-4-gurus-talk-story-progression/

I just found out that the non active NPC in the world do not progress, do not upgrade in skill, don't form relationships, etc. You got to control them for this to happen they do not do this on your own!

All the other Sims in the world are "not instanced" which basically means that nothing is happening to them.

Do mods fix this? Do mods fix this?
No they do not the MCC command do not change anything for these NPC they do no progress. :( No other mods can change this as its hard coded in Sim 4 and the modders cannot access these code. And Sim 4 system does not work in this way anyway. The developer of MCC command has confirmed he cannot modify it like you can with the Sim 3 so EA needs to change this.

If EA did bring it back
Then the developer of MCC can add more options to it so they won't be issues and heart breaks just like what the mod is doing to active sim giving you balance and better game play.

What I am wanting EA to do?
To just bring it back or even make it better so the modders can also come in and edit it cause right now they cannot. And as posted an option so you can choose which npc should progress and what they should do automatically.

What is MCC command? Few months old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M5HXUWNfuo&t=381s

https://deaderpool-mccc.com/#Top

Sim 3 Author Retired
You can use the NRAAS mod to change your NPC so they do progress on but sim 3 system is so different to Sim 4 and this has been taken away from us and so not happy.

The developer needs to bring this back into Sim 4 or open the code up so modders can change it! We want to see our NPC familes and friends progress in the world! We want to meet new NPC and see them Progress and change? if Progression can't be in the game then why have so many worlds? Is it just you enjoying the entire world and all the other NPC are meaningless?

So many fans who love story progression will want to see this cause it was such a hit for Sim 3 using the NRAAS mod which the author has now retired from it. So you can't use it in the Sim 4!

So please bring this back before any other DLC! :( This makes me feel I should go back to Sim 3! :(

POLL INFORMATION
Please read the polls carefully as they are several choices and thanks for participating, if I forgot anything please let me know and hope the poll is helpful!
Post edited by Bookworkgirl on

Do you want Story progression to be Brought back? 60 votes

I want my NPC to run their own Lives! Pls bring it back.
15%
CheesySimsLoveraelias24rambahadoershnailehYubellJordan061102dreamsimmer394TwilightSimmerElodea 9 votes
Same as Option 1 but also with modding support for more options.
5%
FKM100JennyggBreazona 3 votes
I like to have an option to turn progression on or off in the menu.
18%
luthienrisingCeCeDotfullspiralInternal_ChaosklovesjenXavy_CatelijahsimlotteRae357KJBGguy 11 votes
I want an option so I can turn on or off which NPC should have progression.
11%
aprilroseAlbaWaterhouseCoteDAzurTomatplanteladynightMissNightOwlLola3375 7 votes
I only want it back if its better then Sim 3 Progression.
0%
All the option of 1,2,3,4
15%
PinkHairGuitarossi_simsNomiko13kloving1970dopaminedroidnrilescheifeagleeyeQuania2007Wizardofweather1 9 votes
All the options of 1,2,3,4,5
15%
RPA91InfraGreenSimsAddict_244SimsLovinLycanAuronoiChieftainEmperorDittoBookworkgirlBrook98LynnSCORPIOofficial 9 votes
I don't want any of it.
16%
Erja888bee1977itsugBMSOChadSims2EnkiSchmidtHermitgirlNeiaLiaRose1435Rosaletta 10 votes
I don't care about their lives.
3%
AngelEb95munroele 2 votes
Other pls comment
0%

Comments

• Wizardofweather1Wizardofweather1 Posts: 96 Member
    All the option of 1,2,3,4
    I Would Love It And 1, 2, 3 & 4 For Sure
    -Wiz
  • BookworkgirlBookworkgirl Posts: 129 Member
    edited May 2018
    Answer to question why its better
    It should be about the player's desire and therefore, it should be optional and specific.

So having EA redo it and make it better will help this and give options so players do not need to use mods but if they choose then the mods will enchance it.
    bee1977 wrote: »
    @AlbaWaterhouse I get that. I know many that don't use mods, but those that don't like using mods DO use MCCC because of the story progression features it offers. All I am saying is, I honestly think that EA should bring more important things to the game like Seasons, or University life, or extra content rather than spend the time and resources adding something to the game that is already available out there and works fantastically and has been coded properly to work in the game. I wouldn't necessarily recommend mods to people who don't like using them, but I would suggest using MCCC due to the features it offers - not to mention it is a helpful tool to let you know when your game is borking or if there is an issue with something in-game. But to each their own, I suppose.

This is not about just 5 houses of sim to control but the entire world!

Bee perhaps if you look into the NRAAS for sim 3 and see how much the author has spending trying to make it better it will change your mind? As well as the MCC command. Perhaps you and others do not see its necessary but I don't think you totally understand the urgent issue. Are you happy to control all 300 of the sims in your world? Or do you just like to control a few? If you want to micromanage all 300 you won't have time to progress any of your sims cause there is too many too control. This is not about just 5 houses its about the entire world.

If you want to control some of them like 100% of us who want to micro manage each family then that can happen too and EA should have the option in there.

But you are not going to stay in your little lot with just vising 5 houses are you? You can but you will want to travel and visit the world too?

So having progression means the NPC runs their own lives which will make visiting places more interesting.

if npc can progress in career, skill, relationship wouldn't it make it enjoyable for you? Cause right now these things cannot happen and you have to control each one which is impossible if you have a world of 300 sim. It spoils the fun cause the npc can't live on their own.

Sim 4 has already been out for a few years now so its time they revist it cause try to look at ourside of the story. There have already been so many expansion for the sim 4. So be sensitive to us since we have not see this in the game yet.

If the developer do reply and say sorry it just can't be done with the sim 4 then well other expansion can follow.

And also people are complaning they want open world too so if its all about just controlling 1-5 familes then Sim 4 should have just been about 1 lot of land and not many worlds with places you can go.

Summary
    • it is impossible to control all 100-300 and really enjoy a personal experience.
    • You want to control a few of your familes.
    • And want The rest of the NPC to skill up like your sims and not be lifeless.
    • So you can enjoy interacting with them!
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    I voted I don't want any of it.
    However, I wouldn't mind an option to either turn it on or off (not per NPC necessarily so I didn't vote for that) to be added to the game.
    I also feel the need to say something about this statement:
    I just found out that the non active NPC in the world do not progress, do not upgrade in skill, don't form relationships, etc. You got to control them for this to happen they do not do this on your own!
    NPC's do form relationships .. they don't story progress in other ways but they do make friends and even romantic attachments. They also skill on their own as long as it is in the broader area your played sim is in, you don't have to control them for them to skill at something. Like when they are jogging by, playing chess in the background, in a club gathering that skills (that your sim is around), working as an employee.. ect. I make groups just to skill sims not in my played household fairly often.

Can you explain why you don't like it?

Why do you want to settle for this limited feature? Or random actions when its all faked? They only doing things when your sim is on the lot they do not do their own thing. It does not matter what they do they don't progress like your control sims so that is what matters. Will you be happy to skill all 300 NPC in the world? Why not allow them to do it themselves for deeper role play? Why would you hate this if it was an option?

EA DEV
    If you want unplayed families to continue beyond their current generation you'll need to try for a baby with them or play as them.

EA DEV
    Oh no, new households will move in as others die. It pulls from the townie families first; gives them a spot to live.

User
    Will children, once grown up, find themselves jobs or will we switch to that household to change it?

EA DEV
    You would switch and play them.

User
    Not sure if they would also move away ???

EA DEV
    No, they won't randomly move away. Of course you can move them to a different home or out of the world altogether.

User
    But you can't have 5th generation Goths unless you managed that right?

EA DEV
    Right.

If story Progression is not in the game

i think everyone needs to read what the dev says and my first post carefully. Or ask questions about it cause I know the system far more then anyone here. Since no one here are modders so do not know how it really functions. And I know the dev of the mod who know the sim 4 system well.

But I apologize that yes NPC will do things but its not progression and no one has given a good explanation why what It such a hated thing when I keep saying it will improve your game play! [/b]

Don't you want to see your families continue and friends of NPC continue and to see what they do and how they grow? And 30% of you have said no to it! EA should not continue with building of the different world and just keep it small cause that is what you are all asking.

You are killing the progress of the sims future if you keep wanting EA to build a dead world where all that matter you is random generated activities.

I want to micro manage and not that taken away
    I know you didn't ask me, but I just want to share my opinion so you see there are more people that don't need story progression.

In my case, I wouldn't want Story Progression in my worlds imposed since I like micromanaging. I play rotational and handle all the families in my worlds I care for. Even the ones I don't play, I still like to be in control, every now and then I'd go and edit them to add children or pets or a partner or whatnot.
    I ignore completely the sims generated by the game and they never get a lot assigned, so I couldn't care less about their stories or lifes since they are like part of the decor, like just filler for the background of my game.
    I want other people to have the option, but I want it to be that, an option.

The return to story progression of what I want is not for EA to take away micro management cause modders and the likes all love this and we play it so we can. Its for the NPC that we do not control that should do their own thing cause we cannot control all 100-300 of them. It is those NPC that need progression just like the sims we control.

And no one ignores the other NPC in the world cause all your relationship will be connected as you talk to them and do actives with them. You will marry them too so you eventually your family will become too big to control that it helps to make it more realistic that the NPC can control themselves. And an option if you still want to control them of that they can control themselves. :)

Updated info so I can calm everyone anxiety about story progression and what MCC command can do and how the dev is working very hard to add things to Sim 4 that is missing.
    edited May 2018
    Marmis
    Story progression in the Sims 3 never worked, at least not in my game. The place was a ghost town after a generation. But I kinda hoped they would have improved it... but now it's gone. I'm too used to play with Twallan's story progression mod...
    MckinneyMini
    Wow, no story progression? Are you serious? So basically families won't grow and feel alive. That is just ridiculous. What is the point of emotions if they are shallow and the world around your sim doesn't grow or change. They have ruined this franchise. I am actually upset now.

One thing is to change aspects of a game, which I agree with, but another is to completely remove things that were great about its predecessor, as the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". What is even more annoying is that we will have to wait another 6 years to get a new game. The producers really messed up (they are the ones who decide what stays and what goes). I get that there are time constraints, but that is with every game on the market. They could have easily left things that we love about the franchise in and still added new things.
    Nani
    I can't look at this game optimistically anymore.

I don't wanna go from household to household to keep my town alive - it's like the sims 3. Sims 3 story progression had old people moving in after the households died, and my household's kids were the only ones in town so I had to constantly make characters in CAS to the point I couldn't stand CAS any longer (before I installed twallan's mods).

No toddlers, no pools, no CAST, and all these loading screens .... What kind of sims game is this? To all those who are buying the game, I really hope the 60 dollars is worth it for you guys. Frankly to me, I wouldn't even buy the game for $5. I don't really see the where the fun is at.
    Allison
    ADD STORY PROGRESSION! ADD STORY PROGRESSION! ADD STORY PROGRESSION! WHO'S WITH ME?
    Mimi
    lame. When Sims 4 was announced I was hoping for two things.

A: Being allowed to have more then 8 sims in one household.

B: Improved Story Progression.

They failed on both accounts.

I get that some people like to micro manage their towns, but why can't there be a toggle in the options menu, like in the Sims 3? That way we ALL can be happy.

Honestly I'm hoping I find an SP mod for the Sims 4 soon. I adore the game but it's hard to play without SP in my legacies and hundred babies, because I want my kids to actual do things without me having to switch my household.
    TriangularRoom
    After playing my new Legacy family for a few (human) days, most of the original Sims have died off, though there are tons of townies, almost all the houses in the two worlds are empty :(
    Jaci
    No story progression! I don't even feel like playing The Sims 4 anymore :(
    Minnielle
    Joshua Perez: At least for me the problem is that I mainly play Legacy Challenge, and in Legacy Challenge you don't switch families. In Sims 3 it's so much fun that when children grow up and move out, they go on with their lives, have children etc. without the player playing with those sims at all.

The very limited story progression is definitely #1 disappointment for me. I can live with closed neighborhood, lack of toddlers etc., but story progression is the best thing about Sims 3 compared to Sims 2.
    Kyara
    I agree with Minnie. I only want to play my family. I hate playing other families. But I guess if all I have to do is get them to woohoo... Although that takes a long 🐸🐸🐸🐸 time... I wish they'd at least make other romances. I wonder if there's a way for a modder to make a mod for this
    trina
    I,ve just come across this post ii was disappointed when i found out no toddlers the no pools i can live with and thinking the rest of the game will probably be brill story progression new generations of the same family that i dont have to play with just to procrastinate. Now ive read this and finding out that you have to jump from one family to the other just to keep the genetics going in the same family huh :s now im even more annoyed and peed of theyve done this to what was once the best simulation game going
    http://disq.us/p/w7a9gv
    Kira
    I was really annoyed to hear about the lack of toddlers, and CAST was something I use a lot too as most of the time the designs that come with the basegame are not the best, lets face it, but to hear they are leaving story progression out as well is just really making me wonder what they were thinking! I really wish I hadn't acted upon impulse and pre-ordered the game before hearing about this. I really hope that someone in the modding community will be able to come up with something that adds some sort of story progression or I will find I will have wasted £40 on pre-ordering a game I'm barely ever going to play as it stands.
    cnstnc680
    I've just seen this post - suddenly not so sure about Sims 4 anymore. I was disappointed, (very) about CAST but figured I'd manage without it. Loading screens - ok if they're short. Pools and toddlers bothered me a bit but not too much. But no story progression??? I don't know anymore. Making families and letting them do their thing was my favourite part of Sims 3. I loved seeing them have babies, those babies growing up and having their own babies. I don't want to have to go into every family to make it happen the way I did in Sims 2. And saying that new babies and children will move in isn't good enough - I want generational gameplay. I'm so so disappointed right now. Also, I don't know if this will ever be modded as the framework for SP isn't even included in the game.
    Sandra_25
    I am becoming increasingly disappointed in what I am reading regarding the proposals for Sims 4. As a Sims veteran, I fail to see where the enjoyment of the game lies anymore. I was so excited for the Sims 4 when it was first announced, I even stopped playing my Sims 3 so much because I felt it was already inferior to what was coming. Now it sounds like Sims 3 is the best we are going to get. No toddlers? That is actually soul crushing. Now no story progression? Ok, I might as well go back to the olden days and play with a dolls house for the same level of fun as what the Sims 4 is offering!
    NeverNoticing
    No story progression? You guys can stop pulling our legs now. Isnt the whole point of the shiny new emotion system to tell better stories? How can that happen if the rest of the world's "story" isnt progressing?
    Kate • 4 years ago
    I think I've finally had enough. I don't think I'm going to buy this game...

It is a lot more like Sims 2 than Sims 3 which really shows that they're taking huge steps backwards.
    I'm sure emotions are neat, but they don't make up for everything missing. Story Progression was one of the big things in the Sims 3 that was an improvement. I only play with one family, I've never liked switching to other households to age them up or have them have kids. No Story Progression is a really big step in the wrong direction. Then you add in everything else they've taken away that was an improvement from Sims 3, like CASt and open world... it's just too much disappointment. I wouldn't tolerate it in any other game... but I just seem to put up with it with the Sims because they're a monopoly for this game type.

I just can't spend that kind of money on a basegame knowing I'd need to spend more for expansion packs to make the game actually fun and worthwhile for me.
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    It should be about the player's desire and therefore, it should be optional and specific.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • bee1977bee1977 Posts: 613 Member
    edited May 2018
    I don't want any of it.
    MCCC has a wonderful story progression available and it doesn't just work for the current household. I don't think EA needs to bring story progression into the game as Deaderpool has already created a mod that works fantastically. I would rather that EA spend the time on making great expansion packs/game packs, than add something to the game that is already available and is kept updated. In my opinion. I suggest reading the overview information on MCCC that Deaderpool has on his site. It explains alot about how MCCC works, and provides so many options to make your TS4 game that much better :)

@BookyGirl13 You also have posts from people listed, upset about toddlers and pools not being in S4 but yet we have those features in the game now. Perhaps you should update your post to reflect current complaints/posts about the game?
    Origin: BeeC1977
    Twitter: @Bee77
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    Same as Option 1 but also with modding support for more options.
    I would love some kind of story progression in Sims 4, but I think we should have the option to select, not only the sim, but also the sort of things that we want our sims to do autonomously. I say this because, if you look at the huge range and variety of "autonomous"/"no autonomous" CC mods available, it is clear that some of us want to micromanage every aspect of our sims lives, while others want to manage only certain aspects and not others. If EA were to introduce a one-size-fits-all kind of story progression, hardly anyone would be satisfied and there would be complaints galore.
    MCCC has a wonderful story progression available and it doesn't just work for the current household. I don't think EA needs to bring story progression into the game as Deaderpool has already created a mod that works fantastically. I would rather that EA spend the time on making great expansion packs/game packs, than add something to the game that is already available and is kept updated. In my opinion. I suggest reading the overview information on MCCC that Deaderpool has on his site. It explains alot about how MCCC works, and provides so many options to make your TS4 game that much better :)

@BookyGirl13 You also have posts from people listed, upset about toddlers and pools not being in S4 but yet we have those features in the game now. Perhaps you should update your post to reflect current complaints/posts about the game?

Some people don't use mods.
  • bee1977bee1977 Posts: 613 Member
    I don't want any of it.
    @AlbaWaterhouse I get that. I know many that don't use mods, but those that don't like using mods DO use MCCC because of the story progression features it offers. All I am saying is, I honestly think that EA should bring more important things to the game like Seasons, or University life, or extra content rather than spend the time and resources adding something to the game that is already available out there and works fantastically and has been coded properly to work in the game. I wouldn't necessarily recommend mods to people who don't like using them, but I would suggest using MCCC due to the features it offers - not to mention it is a helpful tool to let you know when your game is borking or if there is an issue with something in-game. But to each their own, I suppose.
    Origin: BeeC1977
    Twitter: @Bee77
  • MissNightOwlMissNightOwl Posts: 740 Member
    Story Progression is not that important to me. I love MCCC, but I don't really use its story progression. That being said, I don't mind if EA bring it back, however I wish it'd be easily turned on and off for certain households, like from Manage World mode.
    No mods can add story progression to Sim 4

I have updated my post again cause as said no mod are able to add story progression and also are you talking to me bookgirl13?
    FKM100 wrote: »
    I would love some kind of story progression in Sims 4, but I think we should have the option to select, not only the sim, but also the sort of things that we want our sims to do autonomously. I say this because, if you look at the huge range and variety of "autonomous"/"no autonomous" CC mods available, it is clear that some of us want to micromanage every aspect of our sims lives, while others want to manage only certain aspects and not others. If EA were to introduce a one-size-fits-all kind of story progression, hardly anyone would be satisfied and there would be complaints galore.

I do agree the MC MODS adds alot of things that Sim 4 has left out. :( What I am asking is that there is choice as not everyone wants to go from house to house and town to town to manage 300 familes. :)

What the modders want is for EA to open up story progression or even make it better so the modders like MCC command can be able to go in and edit it and modify it. Because right now the dev has said he cannot do this. :(
    I will update all answers and worries above. :)
    Story Progression is not that important to me. I love MCCC, but I don't really use its story progression. That being said, I don't mind if EA bring it back, however I wish it'd be easily turned on and off for certain households, like from Manage World mode.

Can you explain your play style if its not important? Do you just only concentrate on 1-2 families how about your interaction with the world? But yes that is why i have put it as an option so you can decide to turn certain household on or off. :) Right not you just do not have the options at all and the mods cannot do anything.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I don't want any of it.
    I voted I don't want any of it.
    However, I wouldn't mind an option to either turn it on or off (not per NPC necessarily so I didn't vote for that) to be added to the game.
    I also feel the need to say something about this statement:
    NPC's do form relationships .. they don't story progress in other ways but they do make friends and even romantic attachments. They also skill on their own as long as it is in the broader area your played sim is in, you don't have to control them for them to skill at something. Like when they are jogging by, playing chess in the background, in a club gathering that skills (that your sim is around), working as an employee.. ect. I make groups just to skill sims not in my played household fairly often.
    egTcBMc.png
    edited May 2018
    update
    no-entry-sign.png

To those who have voted NO

Please to those who don't want it explain why will it be so bad or unhelpful? Or how will it ruin your game? Why don't you want NPC to run their own lives so you can be excited too discover what they have been up too? Is visiting your friends in real life dull and very bad? That is how SHOCKED I am with out any good explanation?

Do you know it can improve the quality of your game play? Have any of you played games where NPC had real activities instead of random generated ones?
    Post to edit

Can you explain your play style if its not important? Do you just only concentrate on 1-2 families how about your interaction with the world? But yes that is why i have put it as an option so you can decide to turn certain household on or off. :) Right not you just do not have the options at all and the mods cannot do anything.

I know you didn't ask me, but I just want to share my opinion so you see there are more people that don't need story progression.
    In my case, I wouldn't want Story Progression in my worlds imposed since I like micromanaging. I play rotational and handle all the families in my worlds I care for. Even the ones I don't play, I still like to be in control, every now and then I'd go and edit them to add children or pets or a partner or whatnot.
    I ignore completely the sims generated by the game and they never get a lot assigned, so I couldn't care less about their stories or lifes since they are like part of the decor, like just filler for the background of my game.
    I want other people to have the option, but I want it to be that, an option.
    Update - Alba i will post reply above soon. My idea is not to take away any micro management cause modders also like micro management. You can do all that.
    update
    no-entry-sign.png

To those who have voted NO

Please to those who don't want it explain why will it be so bad or unhelpful? Or how will it ruin your game? Why don't you want NPC to run their own lives so you can be excited too discover what they have been up too? Is visiting your friends in real life dull and very bad? That is how SHOCKED I am with out any good explanation?

Do you know it can improve the quality of your game play? Have any of you played games where NPC had real activities instead of random generated ones?

The good thing about a game like The Sims is that there are many ways of playing and enjoying it. This is the power of this game and the reason why our community is so diverse.
    edited May 2018
    Alba sorry I thought you voted no I don't want any of it so thanks for voting that you want options. But I hope you understood what I am asking.

Alba please read all my replies and even my polls, I am not saying any thing should be restricted but 30% of you are saying it should not have progression.

I just want story progression back with options so all players can play how they want but the story progression needs to be in the game because it isn't. And Players can turn it off or use mods to turn off more things if they just want a different playstyle.

My latest replies are on post:
    May 17 edited 7:07PM

And no one ignores the other NPC in the world cause all your relationship will be connected as you talk to them and do actives with them. You will marry them too so you eventually your family will become too big to control that it helps to make it more realistic that the NPC can control themselves. And an option if you still want to control them of that they can control themselves. :)

I do ignore them completely. My only interaction with Sims I didn't create and were randomly generated is if I'm buying from them at a food stall or a restaurant. Please, stop assuming that everyone plays like you do.
    edited May 2018

I do ignore them completely. My only interaction with Sims I didn't create and were randomly generated is if I'm buying from them at a food stall or a restaurant. Please, stop assuming that everyone plays like you do.

Please read my above Post I did not say everyone had to play with progression. So how do you play the game? Do you just play with a few sims and they don't marry or make friends? The Majority I see on youtube and those that like mods play with families and have friends and go exploring.

Please read my above Post I did not say everyone had to play with progression. So how do you play the game? Do you just play with a few sims and they don't marry or make friends? The Majority I see on youtube and those that like mods play with families and have friends and go exploring.

They marry and have friends but only between sims I created. I play with a lot of households, all of them made by me. I have clubs and host dinner parties, toddler playdates and all of that. Is just that I do it within the sims I created and play with, never with randomly generated townies, I don't even look at their names or care for anything about them.
  • ElodeaElodea Posts: 6 New Member
    I want my NPC to run their own Lives! Pls bring it back.
    I love having my main sims get involved with townies, so this would be great! It's hard being the most interesting sim in the world when everyone around you is so basic :p