Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't Return Home From Vacation?

So, time ran up on my Sims' vacation, and it was time to return home, but the loading screen just kept going and going and wouldn't finish loading. Also, I could hear what sounded like the game continuing in the background as the loading screen showed (her fishing, her singing, her complaining about being hungry, her eating a raw fish since she's a werewolf...) So I restarted and had her leave her trip "early" (like, less than an hour game time earlier since I saved then) and it still didn't work. So I went into edit town and tried to save the household, but it didn't work Her house looks really weird back in the home world... BUT I don't know if that's normal when they're on vacation? So does anyone know if there's any way to get her home? I should mention, because I'm afraid I messed up, that the sim in question is a teenager. She left on the trip with her young adult mother (as her mom had an opportunity to complete) but I sent mom home early. The teen stayed for five days since mom had a level 1 visa. Could that have caused this issue?

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    If not averse to using mods, NRaas Traveler together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap work very hard to prevent travel and return travel glitches like this. Traveler is meant to be in play before leaving home, but many players have found that it helps get them unstuck if added belatedly.

If not using mods, then the only other thing you can try is to load up the game on a fresh session but with all of the graphics options temporarily turned down to their bare ugly minimum, Advanced Rendering off, the game in offline mode (not logged in at the Launcher or in-game levels), the in-game EA Store shopping experience switched off, as we as the hidden object startup game. And then try to get the teen home from there. The point of this would be to relieve the game of as much stress as possible to get through the broken travel transition.

And if none of that helps, I would have to suggest reverting to prior saves, even one before they left home for the vacation world in the first place, to see at what point the game becomes playable in the homeworld again.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SerabeeSerabee Posts: 135 Member
    I really don't like mods, but I'll try the other thing right now.

I'm REALLY hoping this will work because the only backup I have for this game is from a loooong while back, before the teen was even a teen and before the mom completed her lifetime wish.
    edited May 2018
    Serabee wrote: »
    I really don't like mods, but I'll try the other thing right now.

I'm REALLY hoping this will work because the only backup I have for this game is from a loooong while back, before the teen was even a teen and before the mom completed her lifetime wish.
    Am hoping you find a way to work through this. The other option, of course, is to abandon this ongoing game and start a new one but that would be a very last resort.

I also hope that going forward you find a way to use Save As (and change the name of each save slightly such as by putting a number or the date on the end) frequently to make safe retreat points along the way, especially just before or after significant things like travel or age-ups happen. Playing with no safe backups to retreat to is just not a great idea unless one doesn't really care about their currently ongoing game. There are far too many ways, with our without mods, for the game to get into trouble and the player to get stuck in a position where there is no way to move forward otherwise.

There's no need to have hundreds of older saves accumulating along the way (unless one wants to), but at least four or five with the player deleting the older, then unneeded saves occasionally, would tend to be a much better file management strategy.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Yah, I definitely need some backups. I did everything I could but I had to go back to my older save :neutral: The problem is that a bunch of save files slows down my game. But perhaps I'll keep them in a folder on my desktop...
    Okay, I'm reviving this because this Sim is now a young adult, HAS MOVED TO A NEW NEIGHBORHOOD, just went on vacation... AND THE SAME THING HAPPENED.

I have backups now. I have one from right before she left on vacation (learned my lesson) but it'd be a shame if she could never go on vacation. Is there any way to fix this/her?
    edited May 2018
    Only those described in my first response above. Try returning home again, relieving as much stress on the game as possible before a travel transition is to take place. And/or use NRaas Traveler together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap.

I know you don't like mods. But the developers didn't work really hard on these things so we can be annoying by suggesting them, they developed mods like Traveler so those of us who enjoy moving and traveling our sims all over the place within the same game can enjoy doing so with far less chance of things locking up like this.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SemaviLadySemaviLady Posts: 526 Member
    Hi @Serabee - It did not formally exist at first, but EA soon created a portal (a place for a Mods folder) within the game to be used specifically for Mods. Initially in TS3 we had to edit the actual game files (yikes!) to enable mods.

Increased playability is why EA created an easier and more stable means to fix built in glitches (via a brand new Mods portal).
    Additionally the growth of the game over about half a decade of programming gave so many layers of potential conflict and problems, that the gamer community discovered and fixed the individual issues and patched them up with mods. EA started a new franchise TS4, without fixing many of the issues. This is why mods are a natural route to increased playability.

So it's up to each if us to take advantage of these facts.

Some simmers still think of mods as something alien and cheaty to the EA programming, but many find after thinking it through and accepting the clear fact that EA recognized that its community could improve playability.

I'm just trying to lay it out. We don't get sainthood, playing either way. But I paid a lot of money for what has actually become a broken game, so I want my money's worth and I use mods. It's up to you. :smiley:

Either way, we all do what we believe in. I hope you continue to have success in your game however you play it. Just thought I should share some of the reality so you can give it another thought. Good luck and all the best!
    Cheerleader_by_CookiemagiK.gifI've owned the TS3 Store since Feb 2015-thanks to the help of many other simmers
    ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ ☆★☆ My Page ☆★☆-♞- TS3❣
    Lol, my concern with mods has nothing to do with "cheating" XD I agree with you, anyone who think they're playing a game more "ethically" is just being silly (unless you're screwing over someone else, of course)

My concern is purely about my computer, the safety of mods, and worries about memory. When I played Sims 2 I downloaded pretty much anything I could get my hands on and it totally messed up my computer. I downloaded through the official site, even, but it was just a mess. Everything ran so slow, even programs that had nothing to do with Sims. I had to uninstall everything. I also had a laptop I had to stop using because it ran out of memory. I literally could not open any programs, not even to uninstall anything. Those are the things I'm paranoid about. And why I don't download anything that isn't "official"

But... I mean, I guess if enough people use it it's probably safe. And as long as I don't go overboard with downloading things. Do either of you have a link to where I can download that? Or at least get more information on it?
    edited May 2018
    There's plenty of TS3 mods out there available that are outdated (for prior patch levels only) and there will be those that never worked right in the first place, so it is of course wise to be cautious. There aren't very many that will break your computer or your game install, but feel free to ask about any (age appropriate) ones you might be curious about along the way. TS3 mods are usually easily removable if you don't like them. They don't alter the actual game program files, they work alongside of them. But by all means make a spare copy of any ongoing saved games, maybe not the broken ones, I mean any that are working properly, before adding mods just to be sure nothing happens that might ruin gameplay further.

Computers can run out of hard drive space, but they don't "run out of memory" permanently unless something breaks down mechanically or you just don't have enough RAM installed for what you were trying to do. An upgrade to a new version of Windows (or the Mac OS), for example, can do that since Windows or the Mac OS is what everything else runs on top of. Memory (RAM) is what is used to run programs, it gets used while programs are running. The RAM gets put back for general use as a program is quit. Some mods, even a few NRaas ones, will cause the game to work harder and increase its RAM usage a bit. Traveler, Overwatch, and ErrorTrap do not do this, if anything possibly after some initial cleanup they cause our games to run more smoothly and use fewer resources. MasterController, a very complex mod, is an example of a mod that loads up its menus (on sims, lots, in-game computers, and City Hall) at startup then sits back and does nothing at all until the players selects one of its commands to run. If adding a few mods like this puts your game into memory (RAM) overload, I would have to suggest that you didn't really have enough to be running the game in the first place or your saved games had each gotten too large to be serviceable. TS2 didn't use nearly that much RAM, it's a much older game, so I suspect it was something else that contributed to the prior mess or you really did have a full hard drive at the time.

NRaas mods in particular were originally designed by Twallan (now retired). Both he and the developer who took over since then are professional programmers, and support for the mods is provided at the NRaas site for anyone who needs it.

TS3 mods are a form of package based content.
    Where to get the Framework to work with package based content, if you need this: http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

It's really just three folders nested properly, the required Resource.cfg file already in the right place, and two sample mods called NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles for testing. Download to your Desktop when you are ready to try this, unzip, and place the resulting Mods folder into your TS3 user game folder in Documents. After verifying that the setup works, you can keep or discard the sample test mods as you wish. Additional content goes into the Packages sub-folder (usually).

Where to get NRaas mods (it's also in my signature line): http://nraas.wikispaces.com
    Traveler in particular, but there are links to all of the others down the left side of the page on full-sized browser windows: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler

You can ignore any messages showing up about Wikispaces shutting down soon, we know that and will have moved to our own website before that happens later this year.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Yah, I'm still not sure what happened with that laptop... Even before it fully stopped working, whenever I deleted anything, space started filling up with I don't even know what. Someone who's really good with computers may be able to fix it, but it was so old that I needed a new one anyway, so we just left it. I'm really bad with computers, so this is all more or less magic as far as I know (hence why I'm paranoid) So... it may take me a bit to figure out how to download and arrange this, but I SHOULD be able to figure it out.

*sigh* I've had people apparently doubt I'm autistic after learning I stink at anything involving math/technology :p
    edited May 2018
    I am by no means an expert on the topic, and I know you weren't being totally serious or at least I don't think you were, but the notion that people who are autistic are necessarily good at math or with computers is ridiculous. People who say or think things like that either just don't know any better or should be ashamed of themselves. :angry:

We all have things we are good at doing or more interested in than other things. But when it comes to tech, there are those of us who just like to put ourselves out there to be helpful in any way we can. And yes, sometimes it would just be best to have someone else take a look at a computer that is misbehaving, maybe not the much older one now, or to help solve a problem that seems too complex for the user to handle. I work with attorneys (someone please send me help with that!) in the real world and many times they have brought me their personal laptops that they were convinced were riddled with viruses or just unusable. In some cases that was kind of true, the machine was just too obsolete, it was infected with something fixable, or it was breaking down mechanically and needed to be repaired or replaced, when in others it turned out they were just using up 99.9% of their hard drive space on file storage, leaving nothing for Windows or the Mac OS to work with and everything was acting goofy just because of that. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Hawkflight1066Hawkflight1066 Posts: 245 Member
    After losing my biggest, oldest world to this glitch I avoid ever splitting up a vacationing family. For me, that glitch happened because I sent some of them home before the others. And then the ones still on holiday couldn't get home. And that was the end of that world. I sympathise with you. I never split a vacationing family now. They all go home together.
  • MadDoctor61MadDoctor61 Posts: 414 Member
    I had this problem recently. I am playing in an early version of my own custom world and I had added a bunch of downloaded lots to see if I like them, and if I do I may tweak them, before placing them is a final location. I was getting a lot of messages for unroutable sims and they traced back to a couple of the new lots. When I took a closer look at those lots, I saw that they looked great in some ways (which I why I downloaded them) but not in others and it would be too much work to change them into something I would like. I ended up deleting the lots. Somehow, the world became corrupted and my sims couldn't return from vacation. I only had one game using that world, so I deleted it, opened CAW and deleted the lots there too, and exported the world. Now I couldn't start a game at all in my world. I tried Sunset Valley and it opened fine. I opened CAW again, did some more edits and exported again and it seems to be working fine, even better than before. There was more lag-time in the previous version that I wondered if it had to do with twice as many lots in the world as there were before. I think it was caused by those two glitched lots.
    edited May 2018
    @MadDoctor61 - There are many things that can cause a game to become corrupt or custom designed worlds to become unplayable. Glad you fixed that, but I'm afraid what you experienced there with your own self-designed custom world doesn't really match what the OP was doing when they encountered their travel transition failure.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • xsukinahxxsukinahx Posts: 6 New Member
    I know this is an old issue but my error log shows it was the Nectar my sim had. I haven't invested much time in my legacy but I'm still sad that I can't get back to their home world anymore :(
    edited September 2019
    @xsukinahx - Does none of what I said in my first response to this thread help at all?
    igazor wrote: »
    If not averse to using mods, NRaas Traveler together with Overwatch and ErrorTrap work very hard to prevent travel and return travel glitches like this. Traveler is meant to be in play before leaving home, but many players have found that it helps get them unstuck if added belatedly.

If not using mods, then the only other thing you can try is to load up the game on a fresh session but with all of the graphics options temporarily turned down to their bare ugly minimum, Advanced Rendering off, the game in offline mode (not logged in at the Launcher or in-game levels), the in-game EA Store shopping experience switched off, as we as the hidden object startup game. And then try to get the teen your sims home from there. The point of this would be to relieve the game of as much stress as possible to get through the broken travel transition.

And if none of that helps, I would have to suggest reverting to prior saves, even one before they left home for the vacation world in the first place, to see at what point the game becomes playable in the homeworld again.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!