Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Awful lagging in large save game

The title actually says it all. I have this save game in which I am currently in the 10th in-game week, and it started lagging absolutely terrible. When I have the game paused, fps are approximately 120, but they go all the way down to 20 when unpausing. I can't really move the camera around, everything is so slow, and i don't want to start a new save because I accomplished so much in this one.

I have NRaas Overwatch in my game, and it always removes like 10.000 or more vehicles each night, after this the lag is reduced a bit, but just a few minutes later, it runs as bad as before.

Does anyone know what I could do to finally reduce this lag? Btw, this save is the only one which is lagging, all the others which aren't so old are running fine.
Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    1 - You aren't supposed to be running at 120 fps with wild drops down to 20 and then back up again. This is dangerous for your video card and can cause really bad performance issues in-game unless you happen to have a 120 Hz monitor (or higher). So what is your monitor's refresh rate? Most are 60 Hz, so the limit should be 60 fps, but there are some that can run higher. Unlike newer games, TS3 has no built-in fps limiter so we have to arrange for this using other tools. Which ones will depend on which video card you have but for Nvidia the first thing to try is usually vertical sync on the Nvidia Control Panel (note this one only works in full-screen mode, not windowed). AMD cards of course use different tools.

2 - The NRaas Traffic mod has a setting to disable the performance career limos, which is the usual cause of vehicle generation in the tens of thousands like that behind the scenes due to a bug in the game. It will also limit the overspawnage of snack and ice cream trucks, which are the second biggest causes. With Traffic in play, I don't usually see more than 2 or 3 vehicles cleaned up on Overwatch's overnight runs. The same mod also has a setting to force inactives to take taxis when their car is not available, or if they don't own one, thus eliminating the game's issuing of free, cheap cars to everyone in town for temporary use that then become abandoned. The cheap abandoned cars more typically account for a dozen or so vehicles for OW to clean up each night though, not thousands.

Those are two good places to start, then we can talk about this one save of yours if it is still not performing well and what might be done to help fix it.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    1 - You aren't supposed to be running at 120 fps with wild drops down to 20 and then back up again. This is dangerous for your video card and can cause really bad performance issues in-game unless you happen to have a 120 Hz monitor (or higher). So what is your monitor's refresh rate? Most are 60 Hz, so the limit should be 60 fps, but there are some that can run higher. Unlike newer games, TS3 has no built-in fps limiter so we have to arrange for this using other tools. Which ones will depend on which video card you have but for Nvidia the first thing to try is usually vertical sync on the Nvidia Control Panel (note this one only works in full-screen mode, not windowed). AMD cards of course use different tools.

2 - The NRaas Traffic mod has a setting to disable the performance career limos, which is the usual cause of vehicle generation in the tens of thousands like that behind the scenes due to a bug in the game. It will also limit the overspawnage of snack and ice cream trucks, which are the second biggest causes. With Traffic in play, I don't usually see more than 2 or 3 vehicles cleaned up on Overwatch's overnight runs. The same mod also has a setting to force inactives to take taxis when their car is not available, or if they don't own one, thus eliminating the game's issuing of free, cheap cars to everyone in town for temporary use that then become abandoned. The cheap abandoned cars more typically account for a dozen or so vehicles for OW to clean up each night though, not thousands.

Those are two good places to start, then we can talk about this one save of yours if it is still not performing well and what might be done to help fix it.

How can I find out the refresh rate? I don't have this much computer knowledge, unfortunately. As for vertical sync, which option am I supposed to choose?

I'm now going to get Traffic mod and see if the setting you suggested helps.
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2018
    We don't know what you have for a graphics card yet, either. Please if you could run a dxdiag report and either paste into the several replies here by section (it will be far too long to fit into one reply) or send it up to Pastebin.com and provide a link so we can read it. That should fill in the missing information.

How to run one: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

But if offered a choice, vsync should be set to On or Adaptive, whichever one works to cap the actual fps rate as needed.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net