Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

City Life vs. Get Together

Comments

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    @PlumbobGrandma I like to walk, actually :D But yeah, I also lovez my home haha
  • Options
    PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »

How are you finding the apartments in CL? Did you choose one of the harder to live in apartments or do you have the penthouse?

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • Options
    edited November 2016

How are you finding the apartments in CL? Did you choose one of the harder to live in apartments or do you have the penthouse?

Well I've opened every apartment in build mode once, just to have a look, but I started in the spice district in one of the cheaper apartments. I had my sim live there, work her way up (she's level 8 charity organizer now), got married, and now that they've collected enough money (I don't cheat at all with some families, but I do with others lol) they've moved to a bigger place (still relatively small compared to other apts) in the arts quarter. I really like the "moving up" story as it's one I've always played anyway lol. The sims I get most attached to are the ones that get nothing for free, no mood or money cheats, no "day off", no extra help. So for me CL is actually kinda cool because it's largely centered around that type of story-telling (for me anyway). I also love the cool, chill vibe they're trying to put into everything with the colors, the bubble blowers, the basket ball. Idk, it's stuff I'll definitely use in one of my upcoming stories more.

The penthouses seem cool but hm, I just feel like my sims have to earn them. Even the families where I do cheat didn't get the duplex apartments. They've got a slightly fancier apartment, but still nothing over-the-top (and only because it suits their story of snobby people with the mom that wears only pink and doesn't work, her spoiled kid and daddy the writer). Also, I don't know, I've got plenty of big lots to edit. I'm much more into the "smaller" apartments than the bigger ones. I've also decided that I will take out the penthouse in the spice district (what is it called, salt lake something?) and replace it with another kind of venue. Right now I was thinking of a restaurant that has a bubble blower section where people can also watch tv or something. Idk, it kept me up last night though :D

Yeah so in short: I like CL, and I also really enjoy the apartments. But I think it's important to allow yourself some time to discover them to be able to fully enjoy them. I could obviously just move all my sims in, cheat them into the penthouses etc. but I ain't that kind of Simgod lol.
  • Options
    PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member

Well I've opened every apartment in build mode once, just to have a look, but I started in the spice district in one of the cheaper apartments. I had my sim live there, work her way up (she's level 8 charity organizer now), got married, and now that they've collected enough money (I don't cheat at all with some families, but I do with others lol) they've moved to a bigger place (still relatively small compared to other apts) in the arts quarter. I really like the "moving up" story as it's one I've always played anyway lol. The sims I get most attached to are the ones that get nothing for free, no mood or money cheats, no "day off", no extra help. So for me CL is actually kinda cool because it's largely centered around that type of story-telling (for me anyway). I also love the cool, chill vibe they're trying to put into everything with the colors, the bubble blowers, the basket ball. Idk, it's stuff I'll definitely use in one of my upcoming stories more.

The penthouses seem cool but hm, I just feel like my sims have to earn them. Even the families where I do cheat didn't get the duplex apartments. They've got a slightly fancier apartment, but still nothing over-the-top (and only because it suits their story of snobby people with the mom that wears only pink and doesn't work, her spoiled kid and daddy the writer). Also, I don't know, I've got plenty of big lots to edit. I'm much more into the "smaller" apartments than the bigger ones. I've also decided that I will take out the penthouse in the spice district (what is it called, salt lake something?) and replace it with another kind of venue. Right now I was thinking of a restaurant that has a bubble blower section where people can also watch tv or something. Idk, it kept me up last night though :D

Yeah so in short: I like CL, and I also really enjoy the apartments. But I think it's important to allow yourself some time to discover them to be able to fully enjoy them. I could obviously just move all my sims in, cheat them into the penthouses etc. but I ain't that kind of Simgod lol.

That's definitely a great idea, working your way up to things and improve so much of your gameplay!

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    edited November 2016
    @MissCherie yes :(

No srsly, why do you prefer it? It's kinda weird it was omitted entirely from this thread, as I'm sure there must be others who prefer it over the rest, although I'm not one of the myself but hey, still curious :)

Cause to me it's the one that added the most gameplay and even if GT and CL add a new world, for me a new world =/= more gameplay, I'm not saying new worlds are useless, I like new worlds and think we need more, but mainly cause I'm lacking of lots to put all the lots I want to use and saddly CL doesn't even offer empty lots and actually we got a new world with GTW, we got Magnolia Promenade.

To me GTW gave us something more to do, I like going to work with my sims, just sending them while watching the time pass is boring and the science career add a lot of gameplay by itself, you can do so much stuff with the inventions, it also gave us Sixam which having new areas to discover is always nice, it's not just a rabbit hole like in CL. We also got the option to deliver the babies at the hospital, beside just having the baby appear in the crib all of the sudden, I'm not big on family play, but it feel more realistic to be able to go to the hospital and see it than just the baby appearing. Also the sims can own retail businesses, if we didn't have that I wonder if we would have get Dine Out since it's based on the retail system. Two skills which is more than CL. And some people might not like aliens, but it added aliens which is kinda a sort of new life state.

To me CL is just a flashy town that distract people from gameplay, it looks beautiful and it does add story telling, but to me it feel more empty than GTW that maybe got a small world compared to CL and GT, but the rest of the pack offer a lot of gameplay.

But that's just my opinion, maybe some people prefer GT and CL to GTW and that's fine, some people are maybe better story tellers than me, while I like the simulation part of the game which to me GTW meet the requirement, following a sim to work is a good simulation of life.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    @MissCherie fair enough haha :) Thanks for telling me!

I do think in the end it just depends on how you play the game & what elements you prefer. I do agree that the science career is pretty great actually, I just don't like the other two so much. And I didn't really follow my sims to work that often, but that's cause I love self-employment options more (in all sims games). I just like staying home, doing some work, then doing other things :D So I'm super excited CL gave me more options in that direction. Tbh, I wouldn't want to play without GTW as I do like a lot of the CAS & B/B objects that came with it, plus it does have some cool features (like your hospital-example, that's so true!), but if I really had to choose one, I guess I'd pick either CL or GT (and probably CL ) :D
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Should expect most answers to be City Living, seeing as it's still fresh and new, so it adds a bit of bias in it's favor.

I don't own it, but I think the main debate would likely be the value of City Living's careers and singing skill vs. the value of Get Together's club system. The latter's system is far more expansive and can be quite valuable depending on future updates, but honestly both seem really really lacking to me.

All I will say is I truly feel Windenburg actually beats San Myshuno strictly because omg somehow they managed to make neighborhoods that aren't all circular in form. Amazing right? It's kinda hard to keep up the "big city" feel when every neighborhood has an identical, formulatic shape and there's rarely any Sims walking around anywhere besides the "main plaza" in the middle of each neighborhood.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    @halimali1980 Idk, I understand why you're so harsh on TS4 in a way because it definitely deserves some tough love, and there are a lot of things that still need to be fleshed out and improved, with family play probably being at the top of those unresolved issues. And yet, when I learned more about CL & knew I could get it a little cheaper, I decided to get it despite the limitations. It honestly does add more than you think. I like how we can reuse the club features and make them match with this EP - and they will, for that matter, match with every EP, that's what they told us anyway. It expands on base game content & previous EP content and that's something I actually really appreciate. Also, the "splitting" of content that looks like it would've fit together into one instead of two EPs, is something a lot of people (myself included) also say about TS3's showtime & LN. Some people even argued that all supernatural did was give us "supernatural ways" of doing things we were already able to do anyway (making potions, finding collectibles, etc.).

I think this is something that is a little inherent to the sims series itself. After all, its main monetary goal was always to release as much paid DLC as possible, and that DLC hasn't always been super fleshed out before either. But regardless of all that, I understand how much some people wanted to build apartments, and also why some believe that festivals add nothing new / rehash base game content. I guess in a way, yes, they do. But you're not paying only for those festivals - and I like the new way they make me do old things, also the jokster/prankster-drinking-game, the love guru, the curry challenge, the flea market, and that weird romance vibe are new in their own way even if a lot of the activities aren't.

You're also paying for a new world & apartments, basketball, graffiti, bubble blowers, singing, karaoke, gaming consoles, three new careers, 2 new traits, a new aspiration, a couple of new interactions, new difficulties, neighbors, and the whole game play that comes with the new lot traits. And yes, I like this game play a lot more than I thought I would. I actually believe CL adds a lot more depth than LGR said for example, but you do need to like something about TS4 to want to go into this world & explore that. Are there things I miss? Yes, bands playing together for example, or maybe occasionally some more venue types within the city. On the other hand, I haven't even filled Newcrest yet, haven't explored clubs as much as I'd like, haven't build any new cool venues in a long time, haven't played some traits at all, etc.

And actually, CL makes me want to finally do a lot of those things. It brings back some kind of value to TS4 (for me). If I hadn't tried CL, and I would be reading some of the threads where people comment on it (many of those people not actually owning or having played CL), I'd think it was the most terrible thing ever. But the thing is, it actually really isn't. It's fun, I enjoy it, and by consequence, I finally enjoy TS4. So perhaps it's too easy to keep zooming in on the type of activities you can do at the festivals, and instead worth focusing on the overall ways it can add to existing game play and why some people might enjoy it. I don't think anyone should buy it if they hate TS4, or if they really don't see anything good about it, but not everyone who likes it is a mindless fangirl/-boy. Some people gave it an honest shot, even though they too were scared because of the overall issues with TS4, and still .. ended up liking it. There's nothing wrong with that.

I am not harsh on Sims 4. I like the game and also believed in their promise of making it better and that it had potential. What I am harsh on is what they are doing to the game with these superficial and out of focus EPs.

I have supported the developers and forgave them on all their mistakes with the base game (under the excuse of it being rushed out) but what they are doing today proves that the Sims 4 was not rushed. Nope. All was planned to be that way. The limited budget was within their plan from the beginning. And the same limited budget, limited game play is continuing to haunt the game with the packs.

This way of making EPs is the worst in the history of Sims. EPs are bad, out of focus and very shallow which makes me angry and reconfirms that this game is not going any where. Now the latest confirmation that one single EP a year is the new norm does it all. People actually not taking that last interview seriously. If there will be only one EP a year then we are not getting the loved EPs every body want because how many EPs will be left? 2 or maximum 3.

I think the club features in Get Together was the only good merit in the 3 Sims 4 EPs because that is the only thing they did not attempt deeply before. As for the rest of the things the EPs are offering they are all inferior to the same features we had from the past iterations, be it retail system, active careers, festivals, apartments or restaurants. This makes like 90% of the big features from the EPs inferior to the past games.

Everything they will release for future will be as bad too.

The other horrible thing is that lack of customization they keep doing with the EPs. First they started it with Get Together where 2 or 3 lots cannot be changed. Now CL has all shells that cannot be placed any where, festivals cannot be done anywhere and also exclusive objects that do not work properly outside the new world like the food carts. This is just TOO BAD.

I will not support any of these awful decisions. All this limitation does not deserve $40. If today I give them $40 then tomorrow they will offer more severe limitations for the same $40. I would rather give the $40 to a poor man on the street than handing it the developers who still do not get what players want after the 4th installment of the game they been working on.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    I love how the half baked get to work isn't an option :#

I love them both. I ADORE get togethers build mode and love city livings cas

So basically it is not the game play that you are into. CAS and build mode can be part of any pack, even an SP.
    I appreciate the game play Get Together is offering. The club feature is a long term and has a good replay value in my game. My rich sims have a a set of housemaids, repair men etc all as clubs. CL is not offering anything long term. Festivals I already can do them in my game with my current mods. I can fill the willow creek park with a huge festival, all kind of objects, all wanted auras and many sims (over 100) on a big large area. Not crammed in a small area and without creating unwanted effects.

The only two things I like about CL is the bubble blower which I read comes with different effects and having the console. I don't see any other merit there.

No I like the gameplay. Those are just two things that I still love.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    nyny29nyny29 Posts: 124 Member
    Im not the kind of players who like to deal with friendship! So happy that we dont need to have that for job objectives like in sims 2 hehe. So for me, I prefer by far city living.
  • Options
    via_izzyyvia_izzyy Posts: 2 New Member
    a lot of you are saying BOTH, but if i can only afford one at the moment , which one do you recommend? ( i currently have Cats and Dogs, and Get to Work)
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    @via_izzyy: If you can only afford one I#d go with "Get Together". I just love Windenburg and i also like the pre-made Sims more (Fyres, Romeo, Bjergsen, Partypeople).
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS
  • Options
    rjhenn14rjhenn14 Posts: 601 Member
    @via_izzyy Both are on sale for 50% off on origin right now, so you could get them both for the price of one!! :):)
  • Options
    annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I love both but if I had to choose it would be Get Together for Windenburg, the premades, club system, items etc.
  • Options
    SultanCanAliSultanCanAli Posts: 113 Member
    City living opened up sims 4s potential it was so boring before!!!!!
    So....
    CITY LIVING!!!!!!
  • Options
    GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I prefer GT over CL, Cl is too restricting when it comes to building apts and with no way to add apts to other neighborhoods it is gimped.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Options
    KJBKJB Posts: 173 Member
    I don't know. I really like both. They're tied for my favorite expansion pack.
    0G9Un6T.gif
  • Options
    rhian123rhian123 Posts: 1 New Member
    well i don't know i came on this forum to see what other players were posting but i think i will get get together because there is more game play but on another forum it said that too. Maybe i might get both and see how they both work together.
  • Options
    BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    City Living for me. I prefer smaller homes over mansions, so apartments are perfect. I play rags to riches so cheap apartments are a valid way to start a new household. I like the city vibe more than the suburb vibe too. Sims feel less lonely when living in a city, and I play single households. The festivals give us a nice distraction, and I like the concept of semi-active careers.

I just don't get Get Together. You do the same stuff as before, but with more people. That's all there is to it.
    I think npcs annoy me a bit too so that doesn't help.
  • Options
    JulieJLynnJulieJLynn Posts: 39 Member
    I really love them both. They both added awesome things to the game. CAS for both is quite good. I love the food stalls in CL. I don't use clubs all that often but are a cool addition. Both worlds are cool. B)
  • Options
    Johnvincent1229Johnvincent1229 Posts: 24 Member
    i like both but city living is the best one because get together is not on console
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Well mines not city living.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    Am I the only one that would pick GTW over GT and CL?

I wouldn't pick GTW simply because the world they gave is pathetic with only 4 lots. There were no new aspirations, so I never really worked on the new skills or owning a retail lot.

When it comes to GT or CL, it's a close call. I've played both extensively.

I have enjoyed creating my own clubs, learning dance moves, building in Windenburg as well as the CAS and build mode items for GT, though it's been a while since this is an older EP. I still build in Windenburg, still learn dance, still use CAS and build objects from this EP even if I'm not doing clubs anymore. The aspiration is very easy to reach.

I'm still playing City Living extensively. I might move a new save game into an apartment BEFORE buying a house or an empty lot. I like to try and get my sims to learn all the CL recipes. I will often send sims who don't live in the city to the city for a bite from a food cart rather than cook whether I'm playing a rags to riches type game or playing one where he/she has other things going on and doesn't want to take time cooking. Grabbing food from a food cart is much quicker than going to a restaurant. Yes, it would be great if we could add the carts elsewhere and they work without spending money to hire someone to work that cart, but maybe future packs will add different carts like C&D and JA did. We also got another aspiration, though a bit harder to achieve and a new skill.

I suppose, since I had more to say about CL, you could say I prefer it over GT, but maybe that's because it is newer.
  • Options
    ScottrealbauerScottrealbauer Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello guys plz help me get this message to the sim gurus and maxis. I'm a console player and in love with the game! I'm just really wanting the get together expansion pack! It truly feels the game is missing a huge piece without distinguished clubs and dancing skills
  • Options
    ElenPinkElenPink Posts: 541 Member
    This is a tough one. Both are great imo. I love City Living for San Myshuno (and because it reminds me of NYC, which I love) but I like Get Together because of the club system.
    webp_net_gifmaker_by_sarcasmisbetter-dcfn6tz.gif