Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA wrong about single player games video - discussion

SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
edited May 2018 in Off Topic Chat
So I was watching this video today and found it kind of interesting given the ongoing discussions whether we'll see a multiplayer / online mode for the sims. The video states that EA has cancelled another game because they felt single player games are dead and people don't want them anymore. I think our community shows that single player games are definitely not dead. And many of us don't want this to become a multiplayer game (only, although I know some of you want it). So I was wondering how you guys generally feel about this? Do you think we'll see an online mode? Do you want it? Do you think EA is wrong about thinking that everything needs to be more multiplayer and less single player? Feel free to discuss away, I'm curious. Oh and be nice ;)

https://youtu.be/7zS2m2R28Wk

ETA: also EA's initial explanation about wanting to do something that gives players "more creativity" instead made me laugh. Sounds..familiar :)

Comments

• Options
    PeculiarPlumbobPeculiarPlumbob Posts: 535 Member
    I don't think multiplayer is necessary... Although wouldn't be the worst idea on their part to have an option of either playing in single player or multiplayer. I wouldn't want Sims to be a full-on multiplayer game because I don't have any friends so who would I play with :'D
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited May 2018
    I don't think multiplayer is necessary... Although wouldn't be the worst idea on their part to have an option of either playing in single player or multiplayer. I wouldn't want Sims to be a full-on multiplayer game because I don't have any friends so who would I play with :'D

#saveplayerone
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    nity01nity01 Posts: 88 Member
    I think if they were to create a multiplayer + single player game, the single player mode wouldn't feel as fulfilling (as I find with Battlefront 2) this is just my opinion. I tend to get bored of stuff quickly, (it's frustrating, I wish my attention span lasted longer lol). Anyway, I think it just depends on the games they're going to make. But to say that "single player games are dying" is a very narrow mindset, and pretty damaging to the company. Majority of gamers prefer single mode anyway, so I don't know why they think that?

They shouldn't restrict playing styles just to one group, everyone plays a game for different reasons - don't generalise your audience.
    I make maxis match CC! Check out my blog here, if you like ----> https://anessasims.tumblr.com/ <3
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    nity01 wrote: »
    I think if they were to create a multiplayer + single player game, the single player mode wouldn't feel as fulfilling (as I find with Battlefront 2) this is just my opinion. I tend to get bored of stuff quickly, (it's frustrating, I wish my attention span lasted longer lol). Anyway, I think it just depends on the games they're going to make. But to say that "single player games are dying" is a very narrow mindset, and pretty damaging to the company. Majority of gamers prefer single mode anyway, so I don't know why they think that?

They shouldn't restrict playing styles just to one group, everyone plays a game for different reasons - don't generalise your audience.

They think that because of the monetization of single vs multiplayer. The thing is, a single player narrative driven experience can't as easily be expanded upon. So once it's released, there's not as much dlc you can make (the sims isn't really narrative driven though so for us this matters less). Also a multiplayer mode next to a lesser story mode, for some players anyway, gives them more to do as they can continue to play with their friends once the story is over (if there is one at all).

For the sims, I really still don't know how a multiplayer mode would work exactly. I'm not opposed to it for those that want it, I'm just personally not fond of thinking they'd devote time to making that instead of expansions for the single player experience. Maybe that's an unfounded worry though, but that's why I'm actually curious to know how many people are waiting for this vs solely single player focused content.
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I don't have any interest in sharing my sim world with anyone. I really hope multiplayer doesn't become a thing, and if it does i pray it is entirely player choice. I for one enjoy having my Sims and their stories entirely under my control and only my control and I don't want to be bothered with others intruding.
  • Options
    JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    I won't watch the video discussing a console exclusive Dad of Boy, sorry about that. I'm PC audience.

Every EA game moving to MMO is old news. Some CEO cca decade ago said all EA games will have multiplayer.
    It killed SimCity. Anything learned from it? I hoped there will be, fans didn't want that.
    Killing off Mass Effect for sakes of developing another MMOlike game - Anthem? Really EA? What do you think, that ME fans, of which I'm one, will play that thing? Yea, right.
    Etc etc, of course I need to mention Dungeon Keeper on phones. A "smash hit".

No, not all games need multiplayer component. I'm not the only one who refuses to play anything multiplayer. And if EA doesn't want to sell me a singleplayer game, there is always someone who does, for example CDprojektRED.

I believe EA is trying to invent a new MMO cash cow that earns a couple of billions per year like WoW, LOL or Maple Story. Nothing wrong with that. But it doesn't mean existing fans, fans of singleplayer games, should be left disappointed and suffer.
  • Options
    peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    I know about the Star Wars game was canceled for this reason. I don't understand where EA gets this ideal from. Especially considering that most geeks want nothing to do with other people...
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    SimTrippy wrote: »

They think that because of the monetization of single vs multiplayer. The thing is, a single player narrative driven experience can't as easily be expanded upon. So once it's released, there's not as much dlc you can make (the sims isn't really narrative driven though so for us this matters less). Also a multiplayer mode next to a lesser story mode, for some players anyway, gives them more to do as they can continue to play with their friends once the story is over (if there is one at all).

For the sims, I really still don't know how a multiplayer mode would work exactly. I'm not opposed to it for those that want it, I'm just personally not fond of thinking they'd devote time to making that instead of expansions for the single player experience. Maybe that's an unfounded worry though, but that's why I'm actually curious to know how many people are waiting for this vs solely single player focused content.

I don't think that single player mode would stop a narrative driven experience from expanding at all. Final Fantasy, for instance, is a very popular single player game that started in 1987 and has been continually updated to this day with new adventures, creatures, and story modes that keep people compelled to keep playing (I would know, my brother is absolutely addicted to it lol). So I doubt that is the reason, unless they feel it will be 'too much money', and they don't want to have to go through all the effort? (Sounds likely, to be honest)
    I personally feel like that multiplayer gaming is just a lazy way to make money, and that's not to say that multiplayer gaming is bad - I love it, and play it all the time, but to only create games for multiplayer use is pathetic - it limits the experience for those who can't play multiplayer, as well restricting the creators talents and abilities (because games are always much more fun with friends, but when you strip away the friend part, you're just left with a really basic and unfulfilling game). Of course this is just my opinion. :)
    I make maxis match CC! Check out my blog here, if you like ----> https://anessasims.tumblr.com/ <3
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member
    Believe it or not they did that with sims 2 on the console and the Urbz and my husband and I still get them out and play them. I do like multiplayer and if they had a way that they could do it where you had your house, your family and the other player the same (like real life) where you become mates, do things together etc, that would be grand. Alas I don't think that there is code for it nor are there anyone at EA bright enough to do it. So we now live vicariously through one anothers games. Our PC and laptop are both in the livingroom with the laptop connected to the telly. So we can see what each other is doing and comment, laugh or help out. Works for us.
  • Options
    I don't have any interest in sharing my sim world with anyone. I really hope multiplayer doesn't become a thing, and if it does i pray it is entirely player choice. I for one enjoy having my Sims and their stories entirely under my control and only my control and I don't want to be bothered with others intruding.
    I agree, I think the Sims is a perfect example of a game that has remained famous despite being single player only. But I'm worried that perhaps EA are going towards multiplayer games because it doesn't need the same amount of time being updated or worked upon that single player needs (like acknowledging different play styles and things like that). Like I said before, games are always better when combined with friends, that's why so many choose to play online over offline.

I don't want to seem like I'm bashing on gaming companies or hating on multiplayer games, I just don't want all games being aimed at multiplayer because some people prefer solitude - to do their own thing and enjoy a world away from the tough realities of life, to create their own story without the fear of judgement, for example. Sorry this was longer than I anticipated. :blush:
  • Options
    edited May 2018

I don't think that single player mode would stop a narrative driven experience from expanding at all. Final Fantasy, for instance, is a very popular single player game that started in 1987 and has been continually updated to this day with new adventures, creatures, and story modes that keep people compelled to keep playing (I would know, my brother is absolutely addicted to it lol). So I doubt that is the reason, unless they feel it will be 'too much money', and they don't want to have to go through all the effort? (Sounds likely, to be honest)
    I personally feel like that multiplayer gaming is just a lazy way to make money, and that's not to say that multiplayer gaming is bad - I love it, and play it all the time, but to only create games for multiplayer use is pathetic - it limits the experience for those who can't play multiplayer, as well restricting the creators talents and abilities (because games are always much more fun with friends, but when you strip away the friend part, you're just left with a really basic and unfulfilling game). Of course this is just my opinion. :)

That's not what I'm saying though. Single player games don't stop narratives from expanding, but it's true that once the story is over, you'll play one particular game maybe 2-3 more times before probably being done with it for quite a while, whilst multiplayer games you'll probably play as long as your (online) friends do. That's the argument anyway. I don't play any multiplayer games at all and I agree that the argument is incomplete, I was just repeating it :) I love single player narrative driven games, always have.

@JoxerTM22 you don't have to watch it but it's more about EA's argument than it is about the game ;) I'm also a PC player and have a very highly specced rig I love to play on, but I also grew up with consoles (and for that matter the original GoW trilogy xD), and Sony offers experiences no other platform has at the moment and I enjoy them a lot. I'd even say that Sony offers some of the very best single player experiences currently released. So no offense taken, but it does come off a bit condescending ;) I also don't really understand people's gripe with exclusives. Due to my only-one-console per gen rule I've missed out on a lot of exclusives I would've reallly enjoyed playing, but I'll still gladly watch or read things about them as I'm just generally fascinated by gaming related stuff. All that aside, I do agree with everything else you've said.

@CalebFillion that does sound fun. I admit I've never tried it before so I'm rather curious about how it would work. Maybe I'm just put off by the idea of my sims woohooing with a friend's sim? xD weirder stories right. I guess if it's done well it could be a nice add on, I just don't want it instead of a cool EP like seasons. Maybe to me personally, a multiplayer feature is the last thing they should add before moving on to TS5, I don't know. Would you say you've enjoyed playing multiplayer or single player more? And why?
    Post edited by SimTrippy on
  • Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I don't think they're wrong. I like multiplayer games and they are indeed very popular. It wouldn't interest me in the case of this series, though. The things that draw me to multiplayer in other games don't exist in the sims... unless they were to turn Bob Pancakes into a raid boss or something like that.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited May 2018
    I do not want or support any online multiplayer games what-so-ever. I even prefer to never sign into any online service for games. To me, that means we don't own games if that is a requirement to download a game. I think if they no longer make or support single player games, that just alienates a certain group of gamers.

The only multiplayer games which I do play are ones where my family and friends are physically in the same room to participate. I do not have "online gaming friends" and I never plan to get any. My two commonly played video games are best done in single player mode experience.
  • Options

That's not what I'm saying though. Single player games don't stop narratives from expanding, but it's true that once the story is over, you'll play one particular game maybe 2-3 more times before probably being done with it for quite a while, whilst multiplayer games you'll probably play as long as your (online) friends do. That's the argument anyway. I don't play any multiplayer games at all and I agree that the argument is incomplete, I was just repeating it :) I love single player narrative driven games, always have.

@JoxerTM22 you don't have to watch it but it's more about EA's argument than it is about the game ;) I'm also a PC player and have a very highly specced rig I love to play on, but I also grew up with consoles (and for that matter the original GoW trilogy xD), and Sony offers experiences no other platform has at the moment and I enjoy them a lot. I'd even say that Sony offers some of the very best single player experiences currently released. So no offense taken, but it does come off a bit condescending ;) I also don't really understand people's gripe with exclusives. Due to my only-one-console per gen rule I've missed out on a lot of exclusives I would've reallly enjoyed playing, but I'll still gladly watch or read things about them as I'm just generally fascinated by gaming related stuff. All that aside, I do agree with everything else you've said.

@CalebFillion that does sound fun. I admit I've never tried it before so I'm rather curious about how it would work. Maybe I'm just put off by the idea of my sims woohooing with a friend's sim? xD weirder stories right. I guess if it's done well it could be a nice add on, I just don't want it instead of a cool EP like seasons. Maybe to me personally, a multiplayer feature is the last thing they should add before moving on to TS5, I don't know. Would you say you've enjoyed playing multiplayer or single player more? And why?

Oh okay, I must have misread your comment then. :blush:
    I guess my point is that I think EA should focus on single and multiplayer equally - the game is left bare for single player which makes it really boring after a while. I just don't want them to create effortless games that can only be 'slightly' enjoyable when played with friends, because it won't be fair to those who can't access online features or don't want to play with others, if that makes sense?
  • Options

Oh okay, I must have misread your comment then. :blush:
    I guess my point is that I think EA should focus on single and multiplayer equally - the game is left bare for single player which makes it really boring after a while. I just don't want them to create effortless games that can only be 'slightly' enjoyable when played with friends, because it won't be fair to those who can't access online features or don't want to play with others, if that makes sense?

Yes I agree 100%. I also wouldn't have anyone to play with and even if I did, I think playing sims with others would stifle my creativity as I'd be aware of their presence in my world, so to speak xD dunno if that makes sense either, but I think we're on the same page here ;)
  • Options
    peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    I don't think they're wrong. I like multiplayer games and they are indeed very popular. It wouldn't interest me in the case of this series, though. The things that draw me to multiplayer in other games don't exist in the sims... unless they were to turn Bob Pancakes into a raid boss or something like that.

I have to say awesome because of the Bob Pancakes bit. That slapped a smile on my face!
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I agree, I think the Sims is a perfect example of a game that has remained famous despite being single player only. But I'm worried that perhaps EA are going towards multiplayer games because it doesn't need the same amount of time being updated or worked upon that single player needs (like acknowledging different play styles and things like that). Like I said before, games are always better when combined with friends, that's why so many choose to play online over offline.
    Actually multiplayer games require much more updating than single player games do. The reason is that they need updates all the time and also maintenance on a server for the game.

So no, this isn’t the reason why the game companies are going towards multiplayer for almost all games. But what the video doesn’t tell is that there are two other reasons:
    1. Multiplayer games are online which makes it possible for the game companies to show advertisings in the game. For some games this gives the game company a huge extra income.
    2. Multiplayer online games are more suited for subscriptions which is a very profitable way to get more money from the gamers.

But the statements in the video are too general because there are huge differences between both the games and their intended target groups. Young gamers are much more competitive than older gamers and much more interested in playing with friends. Generally most games have older teens and gamers in their twenties as their main target group. But the Sims games are instead targeted at preteens and the youngest teens with people over 30 as their secondary target group. Compared to most other games the Sims games are much less popular among the more competitive older teens and young adults.

So EA should be careful not to automatic turn the big Sims games into just multiplayer games just because EA does that with EA’s other games which are M rated instead of T rated because the Sims games aren’t about winning and competing with other gamers.

Also EA should continue to sell packs for the Sims games instead of changing to subscriptions just because EA does that for other very different games.
  • Options
    CalebFillionCalebFillion Posts: 293 Member

@CalebFillion that does sound fun. I admit I've never tried it before so I'm rather curious about how it would work. Maybe I'm just put off by the idea of my sims woohooing with a friend's sim? xD weirder stories right. I guess if it's done well it could be a nice add on, I just don't want it instead of a cool EP like seasons. Maybe to me personally, a multiplayer feature is the last thing they should add before moving on to TS5, I don't know. Would you say you've enjoyed playing multiplayer or single player more? And why?[/quote]

You do get used to the woo hoo thing though LOL! OH I WANT NO I NEED seasons! It is the one I have been looking forward to for what now, two years. After toddlers that is all I need. So no, not instead of but as an add on that would be great! Then you can choose whether to play single or multi and that is how both Sims2 and Urbz were. On console. As for moving on to anything more (ts5) I certainly hope not. I really hope that EZ has learnt its lesson in sales and found that money is not what makes the Sims franchise. We just need a "perfect" game. Sims 4 and I NEVER thought I would say this...comes really close. Yes there are things we still dream of and if they would only listen they could make a few more simoleons off us. The downfall of multiplayer is if you are better at some things you can leave the other person behind. This is why Adam rarely plays Urbz with me now. I am really good at chatting the sims up. Sims2 you moved from place to place, had a job, got skills and chatted to make friends. Each career had different things that you worked towards and I would get really frustrated when we couldn't fast forward through the skills. As for which I like better, I don't swing more one way or the other. I do play alone more but only because Sims is not set up for 2 except the above mentioned. But... there are the lego games, the rabbits, tak and lok and I enjoy multi nearly as much as sims.

What we do do a lot is find a challenge and we both do it. It is really a lot of fun to see how our sims differ from each other and to make that happen a lot of time we use the same people. We just did the Asylum Challenge and that was a lot of fun and then there was a person on here who thought up what she called Renovacy (!) Renovation Challenge for Sims 3. I asked her to let me make the changes for Sims 4 and she did so currently I am finishing that one up as Adam has already.

Okay long winded and I hope I answered you. If not give a jingle and I will try again LOL

• Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    I love my single play, always have. The only online multiplayer I ever played was TESO because it's the elder scrolls and even as singleplayer I could do tons of stuff without other people. I only stopped because on xbox you need a gold account to play online and that is just too much money, also it gets repetitive after a while, since I am not into the true multiplayer aspects and competitions.

Anyway, I'd be ok with multiplayer for the sims 4, if they make it optional and it doesn't take time (and creativity) away from the packs.
    Maybe there could be a multiplayer world, where everyone could go (with activitys catering to that and every sim would stay in Hotel and can only build/edit its own room) but to get to other peoples personal worlds you'd need to be invited.
    I don't know.....but I am not interested in it anyways...
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    Actually multiplayer games require much more updating than single player games do. The reason is that they need updates all the time and also maintenance on a server for the game.

So no, this isn’t the reason why the game companies are going towards multiplayer for almost all games. But what the video doesn’t tell is that there are two other reasons:
    1. Multiplayer games are online which makes it possible for the game companies to show advertisings in the game. For some games this gives the game company a huge extra income.
    2. Multiplayer online games are more suited for subscriptions which is a very profitable way to get more money from the gamers.

But the statements in the video are too general because there are huge differences between both the games and their intended target groups. Young gamers are much more competitive than older gamers and much more interested in playing with friends. Generally most games have older teens and gamers in their twenties as their main target group. But the Sims games are instead targeted at preteens and the youngest teens with people over 30 as their secondary target group. Compared to most other games the Sims games are much less popular among the more competitive older teens and young adults.

So EA should be careful not to automatic turn the big Sims games into just multiplayer games just because EA does that with EA’s other games which are M rated instead of T rated because the Sims games aren’t about winning and competing with other gamers.

Also EA should continue to sell packs for the Sims games instead of changing to subscriptions just because EA does that for other very different games.

I don't think I worded it correctly, I think I was trying to say that multiplayer games don't need to be as detailed (in terms of storytelling themes, not game processing) because it needs to be catered to a wide audience, and that's not to say that single player games don't need to be catered that way too, but single player games usually stick to a certain theme. I'm worried that by enforcing more multiplayer based games, there won't be a certain consistency with it - unlike single player where you can go on quests or story progression, multiplayer will be more of a repetitive cycle if anything. Unless they find a way to create a game with multiplayer, that implements a story-driven concept.

I don't know if that makes any sense? I find it kind of difficult putting my thoughts into words through a computer, but I hope that what I'm saying makes sense. :)
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

I don't think I worded it correctly, I think I was trying to say that multiplayer games don't need to be as detailed (in terms of storytelling themes, not game processing) because it needs to be catered to a wide audience, and that's not to say that single player games don't need to be catered that way too, but single player games usually stick to a certain theme. I'm worried that by enforcing more multiplayer based games, there won't be a certain consistency with it - unlike single player where you can go on quests or story progression, multiplayer will be more of a repetitive cycle if anything. Unless they find a way to create a game with multiplayer, that implements a story-driven concept.

I don't know if that makes any sense? I find it kind of difficult putting my thoughts into words through a computer, but I hope that what I'm saying makes sense. :)
    What I personally don’t like about multiplayer games is that they are mostly just war games or tower defense games where you have to attack other players and defend yourself from their attatck all the time. This prevents progress and a good story and is therefore to me quite boring.

So I hope that the game companies soon will get better ideas.

Mobile Sims games are already multiplayer and especially the Sims Mobile is way too repetitive and linear. This isn’t the way if EA wants Sims games to be successful and the mobile Sims games aren’t at the top 100 lists in the app stores. So if EA wants online multiplayer versions of the Sims games to be more successful then EA needs to find a better way.

The Sims Freeplay isn’t as linear and repetitive as the Sims Mobile is though. But it is still too small a game and TS5 could therefore likely become much better if EA chose to make it multiplayer too. Multiplayer vs single player just isn’t the most important thing to me in games anyway.
  • Options
    NAPK1NSNAPK1NS Posts: 116 Member
    If it’s an online mode then definitely, but if the entire thing is online then definitely not. It’ll make for some fun interactions and gameplay with friends with the updated engine.