Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A quick SimGuru update...

Hey all, I know many of you in the community have been hungry for an update. I want to offer the extent of what I can say currently, to help put some of you at ease in this quieter period of time.

I think the last official news you’ve seen about what’s on the horizon was regarding EA Play in June, where the next Sims 4 experience will be on-hand and playable. It’s important to reaffirm that this still holds true. Members of the Sims 4 Console and Sims Mobile teams have already confirmed that they’ll be attending… let me add to that and say that yes, members of The Sims 4 PC team will be at EA Play as well (sorry, that doesn’t include me this year!) Rest assured that The Sims on PC is doing very well, continues to be a top priority within Maxis, and it isn’t going anywhere.

So… you might be wondering why I’m sharing this, and why now? Murmurs of the SimGurus on the PC team being quieter than normal haven’t fallen on deaf ears. Those of you active in online Sims’ communities likely know that SimGuruDrake, our former PC community manager, chose to leave and pursue other opportunities recently. As game developers, we’re given a ton of freedom to go out and discuss many aspects of our jobs and The Sims from our personal point of view. Because of that, it’s important that we have someone in our CM role to help look out for us devs, and moderate tough discussions. They’re also on the frontline of sharing official statements from the studio. In light of that, us SimGurus on the PC team have been asked to exercise additional careful judgment in what we say until that CM role is filled.

Yesterday, we had a studio wide meeting (nothing unusual, just something we do every few months so our studio leadership has a chance to speak with us all as a group.) Being someone that tries to stay active and involved with this Sims community, I raised a question about how we haven’t been as forthcoming recently without a CM to mediate public discussions, and how that’s resulted in general unrest amongst you. What was expressed to me was that, while we aren’t going to discuss or refute rumors and speculation point for point (which I’d really suggest approaching with a healthy dose of skepticism), it’s totally fine to reiterate publicly shared info that yes, The Sims 4 continues to be a genuine success, and there’s plenty to look forward to on the PC in the future.

So, that’s what I’m here doing… This isn’t intended to be me speaking on behalf of the studio, it’s just sharing my perspective on how things currently stand. I don’t assume to speak collectively for the group, but I know many of us who volunteer to be SimGurus want to reach out when we see your concerns. Hopefully you’ll understand if this post doesn’t lead to me answering a bunch of topical questions; it wouldn’t be appropriate for someone in my role to do so. Here’s looking forward to us hiring a CM for this PC community so that everyone gets comfy chatting again!

Comments

• jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited May 2018
    Thank you for taking the time to update us!

I think there’s a lot of people who jump to doom and gloom, as people for whatever reason associate silence as =the end.

But I think a quick look at what’s selling the most on Origin, EA would be crazy to get rid of The Sims 4. And I hope this will stop the negative outlook spreading, so it’s awesome that you’ve put in the time!

I’m excited for what’s to come, and sometimes a little “break” here and there is good. I think it the purpose of the dev team was to spit out content over proper development (which takes time) it would lead to more disappointment.

I’ve been really happy with The Sims 4, but would hate to see the level of quality we got with The Sims 3 store (and pricing!) just to throw content out. I’d much rather you guys take your time.

The only feedback I can give, it possible, is to set expectations early. We got no quarterly teaser this quarter, but we still don’t know if that means something is coming or not.

Maybe tell us, rather than let everyone assume that there’s something you CAN’T tell us, because people always assume the worst :)
  • SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Thank you for reaching out to us Simmers! We appreciate all the hard work you guys do! :)<3
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    It's nice to get an update thanks for that though I understand we don't always get every little bit of info so I'm fine with waiting but I also look for confirmation before assuming the worst so I don't get so worked up anyways. Looking forward to what's next as always and I will until it really is the end of it.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • AthsndwordsAthsndwords Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you SimGuruGraham! Its been really difficult to see what has been going around and wishing I could do more to help. Its hard for any of us to fight the negativity when things from EA seemed so quiet. I really appreciate you posting your thoughts here - even more so since you are so well loved in the Sims community :). Thank you for standing on our behalf and stepping forward to try to alleviate some of the fear. We <3 you!
  • GurlGamer05GurlGamer05 Posts: 336 Member
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully the CM role gets filled soon.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Thanks Graham for the Update. It's appreciated.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Hey all, I know many of you in the community have been hungry for an update. I want to offer the extent of what I can say currently, to help put some of you at ease in this quieter period of time.

I think the last official news you’ve seen about what’s on the horizon was regarding EA Play in June, where the next Sims 4 experience will be on-hand and playable. It’s important to reaffirm that this still holds true. Members of the Sims 4 Console and Sims Mobile teams have already confirmed that they’ll be attending… let me add to that and say that yes, members of The Sims 4 PC team will be at EA Play as well (sorry, that doesn’t include me this year!) Rest assured that The Sims on PC is doing very well, continues to be a top priority within Maxis, and it isn’t going anywhere.

So… you might be wondering why I’m sharing this, and why now? Murmurs of the SimGurus on the PC team being quieter than normal haven’t fallen on deaf ears. Those of you active in online Sims’ communities likely know that SimGuruDrake, our former PC community manager, chose to leave and pursue other opportunities recently. As game developers, we’re given a ton of freedom to go out and discuss many aspects of our jobs and The Sims from our personal point of view. Because of that, it’s important that we have someone in our CM role to help look out for us devs, and moderate tough discussions. They’re also on the frontline of sharing official statements from the studio. In light of that, us SimGurus on the PC team have been asked to exercise additional careful judgment in what we say until that CM role is filled.

Yesterday, we had a studio wide meeting (nothing unusual, just something we do every few months so our studio leadership has a chance to speak with us all as a group.) Being someone that tries to stay active and involved with this Sims community, I raised a question about how we haven’t been as forthcoming recently without a CM to mediate public discussions, and how that’s resulted in general unrest amongst you. What was expressed to me was that, while we aren’t going to discuss or refute rumors and speculation point for point (which I’d really suggest approaching with a healthy dose of skepticism), it’s totally fine to reiterate publicly shared info that yes, The Sims 4 continues to be a genuine success, and there’s plenty to look forward to on the PC in the future.

So, that’s what I’m here doing… This isn’t intended to be me speaking on behalf of the studio, it’s just sharing my perspective on how things currently stand. I don’t assume to speak collectively for the group, but I know many of us who volunteer to be SimGurus want to reach out when we see your concerns. Hopefully you’ll understand if this post doesn’t lead to me answering a bunch of topical questions; it wouldn’t be appropriate for someone in my role to do so. Here’s looking forward to us hiring a CM for this PC community so that everyone gets comfy chatting again!

thank you
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    This should be stickied.
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    edited May 2018
    hire will wright as the new community manager, he may teach yall some thingz
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Great to know, thank you for taking the personal time to reach out to us to give us some info and encouragement. It's much appreciated. :)
    #Team Occult
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I appreciate you coming here to say it also, especially the approach the rumors and speculation with a healthy dose of skepticism part. Looking forward to what's coming here.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2018
    This is definitely reassuring. Thank you for taking the time to write this up. I just wish EA/Maxis developers could maintain a steady stream of communication, even without a community manager (which is a role I don't think is necessary for a single player game like The Sims, personally). This is something that was an issue repeatedly, going back as far as 2014. And it is something I never felt was an issue with TS3. Given TS4 does not have regular release cycles like TS3 did, I think it's vital for the company to keep the fans informed.

Really hope whatever is shown at EA Play for The Sims on PC is going to be worth the wait, but I am disappointed we are back to the point of waiting in the dark for whatever comes next for such an extended amount of time.
  • ClassicalSimClassicalSim Posts: 1,535 Member
    Just wanted to add my thanks for the update and reassurance. We've all become so accustomed to the open lines of communication that when we lose it (even if it is temporary) we tend to panic and think the worst. I think really this is all we needed hear. Thank you again. <3
    I hope we ll see the quarterly teasers return after we get a new community manager.
  • StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

Thank you for stopping by to give us an update, Us Simmers really appreciate you.
    When I saw @SimGuruGraham I was happy, It was like a family member came by to wish us all well in our hour of silence.
    We do need Gurus that we are familiar with as a community.

(Some words from me)
    I feel it's more going on here than just, just wanting news of the Sims 4 game. It's an obvious unrest, that's a lot deeper. I know that a lot of the Guru's were very close to the simmers, some would talk to them often sometimes even more than they did their families.

The Simmers I feel are feeling the loss of many of their Sims 4 family of creators and of Our Guru's. It's like all of a sudden your family poofs, and you get very little information. Its hard on us simmers. even when we get news even if Its just what we always wanted it to be I mean our New experience.

We will still feel the loss of our Guru's for some time. It takes time to get over a loss of a family member, a close friend even a Pet, or a friend you have knows and worked with for years, I had a friend in a world, well this person was everyone's friend, always worked hard there as well as I did all of us was about the same level of employment in the world. well one of us got sick and just died so fast. Time did stop if nowhere but in our hearts.

We had to stop and morn our lost, Understand we are just having normal reacting to our loss.

Our silence is not just about no news of our favorite game Sims 4 PC, Our hearts have stopped to mourn the loss of Our CM, our Guru's every one of them that has poofed moved on.

We are mostly adults here and understand EA is working hard on so many games as well as Sims 4 big surprise.
    I am sure everything is going according to plan. We know surprises are always good news.

We are slowly but surely accepting the fact that we must wait for our surprise.

we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    That's reassuring.

The "Gurus being fired and/or moved to Mobile" news recently had left me worried about the future of the franchise, and when you look at sales figures compared to, say, FIFA and Madden, it's easy to foresee EA not viewing The Sims on PC as a priority (not when there's plenty of whales to catch in the mobile market).

It's good to know that support for TS4 will continue for the time being, and that EA does consider TS4 a success.
    wJbomAo.png
  • dizzydee_kdizzydee_k Posts: 475 Member
    Thank you. Thank you. <3 Much appreciated.
  • Evenstar606Evenstar606 Posts: 1,618 Member
    Thank you for the update, Graham!
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018

THANK YOU! So appreciate the update. and to add YAY! Glad to hear all of it. Hope we get a CM soon!!!
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    edited May 2018
    Just adding my thanks for the update, very much appreciated! Also hoping we get a CM Soon™ :)
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Thank you very much for your words of reassurance Graham, very much appreciated.
  • ravelravel Posts: 98 Member
    Thanks for taking time to give us some update on things. I too hope we get a new CM soon :smile:
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    Thank you for updating us. I was most certainly worried that sims 4 on the pc was ending. And that we wouldn't get seasons and more packs for our game. I want more packs for the sims 4 on pc. Thanks again for the good news.