Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Willingly Writing Reading Circle (On Hiatus)

Comments

• friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    https://friendsfan36.wordpress.com/2018/04/29/dear-mom-and-dad-look-who-i-found

this has rylan in it. first alana jumped the timeline then her daughter did. shes like her mom . demanding. and shes not even 2 .
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited April 2018
    Maladi777 wrote: »

What questions do you have for us, the readers?
    Just a couple.
    1) What were your thoughts on the revelation of Tony's special condition in gen 4? Were you disappointed by such a twist?
    2) What do you think of the concept of killing one of the main characters?
    3) When you were reading the story, was there ever a moment you wished I explored a certain character/option I didn't?

answering your questions now c:
    1) It cracked me up, tbh. I loved it! You always have the craziest ideas!
    2) I'm not a fan of killing characters. But I forgive you on this one. It was crucial for the story development, and I am glad you had the courage to do so. There's a great story coming out of this, and I find a lot of character development couldn't have happend without it. Neither Chris', nor Tony's.
    3) Now that I was skimming over your story again, (thanks to @Piazzagirl1015 's comments... I love them!) it reminded me that Marissa&her boyfriend (forgot his name, too lazy to check again x.x) didn't get much more screen time after they settled their wedding. But I see they were only side characters and didn't really interfere anymore with the main story. Still I love their love story c:
    You might want to hint here to Beryl's/Tony's relationship being explained better. But I actually like how it turned out in the end. Them barely spending any real time to really get to know each other, gives a chance to rediscover a different type of love for Tony. If he realizes it, it is another great opportunity for character development.
    Though I admit I would have liked to see how it would have turned out if Beryl wouldn't have died, and they would have had a chance to really be together in a way. Who knows, maybe they would have figured that they weren't even compatible after all? Or would they have found "true love"?
    We'll never know.
    Also I'd love if you would have dived deeper into the start of the story. It was so catchy!

As for the general questions:
    Who is your favorite character and why?
    Chris, Kellie, Tony... Beryl... I love them all. Even Terry made it to my like list after the moustache discussion :joy:
    Chris because he's maybe the most conflicted and deepest character of all.
    Kellie because I admire her strength and determination.
    Tony, because he has such a great character development.
    Beryl, because despite her having a hard life, she never lost her cheerfulness.
    Terry because... moustache. Joke. I like how you write characters.
    What are your general thoughts about the story or favorite parts/generations?
    I loved the start with the orphan boys. The first sentence directly drew me in.
    But still the last generation kept me hooked the most. There are so many parts I really like, and I cannot even think about them all. Most of all I like the consistency of all the characters. If they change their personality, it always has a reason behind it.
    What would you say are points of action or driving plot points of this story?
    Definitely Beryl's death is one. Without her dieing, the 4th generation would have been completely different. There are many more... but it's hard to remember them all now.
    Any future predictions?
    I'll keep quiet here c: You know my ship!
    What questions do you have for the writer?
    1) Where do you get your inspiration from? You have so many ideas.
    2) Do you do fact research if there are things happening that you want to tell, but you don't really know enough to tell them?

Thank you for all your answers @candycottonchu ! You definitely gave me some food for thought. :)
    To your questions:
    Practically anywhere. In dreams, songs, sometimes I just look at sims in CAS and come up with a whole background story for them. Or I read a line from a book. But first of all I never stop asking "what if" questions. What if my character had to do something that is against their belief? What would have to happen for a character who has never broken a law to commit a crime? What would make a hero and a villain work together?

2) Do you do fact research if there are things happening that you want to tell, but you don't really know enough to tell them?
    Yes, I do. But mostly I'm trying not to get bogged down in things I'm not familiar with and when I have to, I do my best to make them at least funny. I had to write the trial chapter and I bet you could tell I lacked vocabulary there. :D I didn't want to turn it into an episode of legal drama. I only wanted to have some fun in the courtroom with Tony and Vincent, which I had. When the research gets too tedious, I stop. I'm writing simlit for fun, I'm not trying to publish a novel.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    edited April 2018
    Maladi777 wrote: »

Thank you for all your answers @candycottonchu ! You definitely gave me some food for thought. :)
    To your questions:
    Practically anywhere. In dreams, songs, sometimes I just look at sims in CAS and come up with a whole background story for them. Or I read a line from a book. But first of all I never stop asking "what if" questions. What if my character had to do something that is against their belief? What would have to happen for a character who has never broken a law to commit a crime? What would make a hero and a villain work together?

Yes, I do. But mostly I'm trying not to get bogged down in things I'm not familiar with and when I have to, I do my best to make them at least funny. I had to write the trial chapter and I bet you could tell I lacked vocabulary there. :D I didn't want to turn it into an episode of legal drama. I only wanted to have some fun in the courtroom with Tony and Vincent, which I had. When the research gets too tedious, I stop. I'm writing simlit for fun, I'm not trying to publish a novel.

I always love to make you think :D

2) Good to know. I can tell you as a non-professional I had no idea if your description of the trial was correct or not. It was a good read and made sense, maybe that's enough in most cases.
    I find myself sometimes too often in situations where I have to explain things I'm not familiar enough with. I recently read a paper on heroin usage without dependancy/addiction for about three nights... It was an interesting read at least.
  • Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    @Maladi777 Here are my answers to the discussion questions.

I have so many favorites that it is hard just to pick one.

Chris has to be one of your more well written and diverse characters. He has gone through so much in his life and he will be carrying the baggage of his father's sins for a very long time. How does he handle it, he becomes the exact opposite of his father and even betrays his father to come out of his father's shadow.

Beryl was always sacrificing her own happiness yet she was still able raise a family all by herself. She sacrificed true love for her legacy, she sacrificed her personal life during her marriage to Ronan so Tony wouldn't be caught, and she sacrificed her life so Chris could live. I loved how she so got back at Ronan without him suspecting anything. She wrote that book series which was so obviously her own love story with Tony for the whole world to see while she was married to Ronan. I don't even think he realized what a fool that book made him look like. She even showed him the book before it was published and he just thought of it as trash that would never get published. Meanwhile it turned into a best seller. This poor girl never had a chance at happy ending.

Tony keeps everything interesting for sure. While he is a criminal we can't help but love him. All the twists and turns from this story come from him. I can't tell you how much I loved to hear that his aging was slowed down. That means we will have him for a very long time.

Ok here is one that I am sure is not a favorite of everyone or anyone, Raven. I feel like she is the most misunderstood character in the whole story. Yes she was a 🐸🐸🐸🐸 to Kellie as a teenager but she was the first in that club to call out Max for being an 🐸🐸🐸🐸. Now as an adult she actually was the only newspaper reporter to show Chris in a good light and she warned him about the police chief. The only problem is I think she will end up heartbroken as I am sure she loves Chris more than he can ever love her.

One thing I find refreshing and different is that the whole town considers the legacy family as celebrities. I really love all the magazine and newspaper covers and articles.

Your characters is what keeps me interested in the story. If you show me a story about a character who is perfect in every way finds the perfect love and lives happily ever after without any problems, I will show you a boring story. Your character are more than one dimensional they have layers. They make mistakes and flaws. They don't always have the right intention but that doesn't always make them a villain. Take Tony for example he is a criminal yet I don't consider him a villain in fact I love him. Thomas is another good example about what I am talking about. He always stood by Kellie and he really did love her however he had that jealous streak that affected his behavior. These are interesting characters which take the reader through a lot of twists and turns. I look forward to following this family until the ending.

One turning point happened during the second generation when Tony and Beryl slept together. Had Beryl not become pregnant with Chris, she wouldn't have married someone else and lived a different life. Had those two not had that connection of a child bonding them together I'm sure things would have turned out differently.

I really think the main point of the story happened during Marissa's fund raiser. Tony knew that he should not tip off his enemies about his feelings about Beryl yet he couldn't help himself. He bid on that picture when his common sense told him not to. This event sealed Beryl's fate and sent Chris on his direction in life.

Any future predictions?

Well I am not very good with predictions but one thing I do know for sure, Raven is headed for heart break. I do predict that Kellie and Tony's relationship will grow. I hope that Chris can help Emily. I also feel that someday Chris and Tony's relationship will eventually mend.

This prediction I feel safe with, Tony will invent a whole new tool box to use worse than tool box 1 when he gets his hands on Lien. And Tony will get his hands on him its only a matter of time. Either that or he will use each and every tool at his disposal

Will we ever see Tony's other son as a character in the future?

What are your thoughts about the #BuildNewcrest aspects of the story? How do you feel the story changes or evolves from generation to generation?

I happen to be a fan of legacy stories as I like following a family through the generations. As far as the challenge I will be playing this challenge but not as a story. I'm doing a Drifter Challenge right now and when I finish the last house at generation 24 I'm moving onto Build Newcrest. In this story every generation has a different tone to it and you can hear the tone change at transition. I find this change refreshing and holds me interest in the story.

@Everyone I will be replying to comments in the next message. I just wanted to get these questions posted first.
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    @Maladi777 This week was a bit busy so I only got to read through Gen 1 unfortunately. :( Hopefully I can read more again in the near future. Answers to the questions...
    I think Corey is one of my favorites in Gen 1, just because he was kind and looked out for the other kids and became a surrogate dad.

I didn't get past gen 1. I loved the interactions between Quido and Summer. They were fun, and they made an attractive couple. I also loved the tribute park to Alice and Corey.

Raising a family and making a living are pretty important in this #BuildNewcrest. More specifically, I think it was beautiful to see and important for Quido build something from nothing.

Any future predictions?
    More hijinks with Vera Landgrabb and Amedeo. Those two are so goofy. I think Andrew makes a sensible choice for heir and I look forward to seeing what he does with his life and legacy.

I kinda asked that already with a series of my questions in earlier posts.

With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @friendsfan367, @Piazzagirl1015, @Maladi777, @Arrowleaf, @candycottonchu

Hey everyone, we now conclude @Maladi777's story and move onto @candycottonchu's story Neighbourhood Talk. I say that loosely because there aren't any hard deadlines here, but just a little structure to guide conversations and show support for all our stories. :)

@candycottonchu's story will take us through May 12th. Woot! I can't believe it's already May. :) I love spring and the flowers, but not the allergies. I digress.

@candycottonchu do you have any specific questions for us or would you like to keep following the generic formula we've been doing? Is there anything specific you'd like us to read?

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231 aww, I hope you don't have a pollen allergy too. That sucks.

I think the generic questions are quite fine for the start.

1. Who is your favorite character and why?
    2. What are your general thoughts about the story or favorite parts?
    3. What would you say are points of action or driving plot points of this story?
    4. Any future predictions? What would you like to see?
    5. What questions do you have for the writer?

I'd also like to add the following:

6. Do you find some parts of the story not explained well enough, or need more specific descriptions?
    7. Who is your most disliked character and why?

And of course I would like everyone to read my full story! :grin: But I can understand if you cannot find the time.

I hope you enjoy!
    @friendsfan367, @Piazzagirl1015, @Maladi777, @Arrowleaf, @candycottonchu

Hey everyone, we now conclude @Maladi777's story and move onto @candycottonchu's story Neighbourhood Talk. I say that loosely because there aren't any hard deadlines here, but just a little structure to guide conversations and show support for all our stories. :)

@candycottonchu's story will take us through May 12th. Woot! I can't believe it's already May. :) I love spring and the flowers, but not the allergies. I digress.

@candycottonchu do you have any specific questions for us or would you like to keep following the generic formula we've been doing? Is there anything specific you'd like us to read?

its not may thats tomorrow. :) i confused mom yesterday she was driving me home and i said its friday it wasn't but it was mine.
    I read through your first section of Neighbourhood Talk, @candycottonchu and I must say, I'm hooked.
    I'm really interested in this player and seeing the world cave in on him because I know it is. I think @Maladi777 said it best in the comments - he's like Don Lothario in a way. Unfortunately I can't comment when I'm on my phone on my lunch break, but hopefully I can catch up, read, and comment more soon.

Find me elsewhere:
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    I read through your first section of Neighbourhood Talk, @candycottonchu and I must say, I'm hooked.
    I'm really interested in this player and seeing the world cave in on him because I know it is. I think @Maladi777 said it best in the comments - he's like Don Lothario in a way. Unfortunately I can't comment when I'm on my phone on my lunch break, but hopefully I can catch up, read, and comment more soon.

i'll try and remember to read tomorrow . i usually wait til wednesday anyway. because i'm more relaxed. today i got on a writing role,

Thanks for reading, @AdamsEve1231 !
    And what can I say...
    Don Lothario has turned out to be a sheep compared to Al...

@friendsfan367 it's always nice to be in mood for writing c: And I'm looking forward to your comments too!

And what can I say...

@friendsfan367 it's always nice to be in mood for writing c: And I'm looking forward to your comments too!

i read the first linda post. i think what i'll do is finish her then start the next . i read one post a week to keep confusion down. but i love that linda which by coincedence is my moms name and alejondro had date night.

And what can I say...

i read the first linda post. i think what i'll do is finish her then start the next . i read one post a week to keep confusion down. but i love that linda which by coincedence is my moms name and alejondro had date night.

Uh, i don't know if I understood you correctly, do you mean you want to read the Linda chapters first? I'd suggest not. Because the names are just the POV, but the story is interlocked. You'll get confused if you only read Linda's chapters first.

Also glad you liked it! c:
    edited May 2018

And what can I say...

Uh, i don't know if I understood you correctly, do you mean you want to read the Linda chapters first? I'd suggest not. Because the names are just the POV, but the story is interlocked. You'll get confused if you only read Linda's chapters first.

yes the linda chapters first. i'm afraid of mixing up what happened to who. also since its moms name i'm curios how it turns out. but i love what i read so far. :)
    edited May 2018

And what can I say...

oh i know theres a possibility there interlocked. but i also know that i confuse easy plus i loved the interplay between linda and whats his name so i'm invested already.
    As you wish... but you'll miss out a lot of Linda's story like that too. It will be more confusing.
    i haven't decided yet i might still read them in order. because it is great well written story.
    aww, thank you very much! c:
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited May 2018
    @candycottonchu @Piazzagirl1015 @AdamsEve1231 Thank you so much for reading and answering the questions. I had a fabulous week thanks to you, and especially thanks to @Piazzagirl1015's comments. I was biting my nails as I watched your progress when you were reading the Heffners, and I unpatiently awaited your reaction to certain twists and revelations. :D

I still owe you an answer to your question. Here it is.
    Will we ever see Tony's other son as a character in the future?
    I submitted Tony's son Ethan to another story: Day & Knight by @pammiechick She gave him a great home and a turned him into a really interesting character in gen 4. I haven't yet given up on the idea of using him in my story, I would really love to see his pretty face again, but I don't have any specific plans for him so far. I feel like I have already too many characters to write about. Their stories keep evolving and intertwining. To add another character to the mix, especially with Celeste's teen arc starting any moment, would make me feel a bit overwhelmed. Anything can happen though.

Regarding your predictions. You are not wrong about Raven. Even if/when Chris is done with her, I'm not. She has yet an important role to play and interesting choices to make. :)

I'll soon post my answers to @candycottonchu's story which I'm all caught up and hooked on.

Wonderful day to @Everyone.
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    I ADORE Ethan. I do hope you can use him in the story, but yeah, I really understand how a cast can grow. I've had to cut characters that I'd planned on using just to move the story along...

BTW...new chapter coming anytime soon? <3
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    edited May 2018
    @AdamsEve1231 I do hope you get some relief from the allergies. My daughter gets them really bad too.

@candycottonchu I've only read a few chapters but I had to help my elderly parents this week so I will be getting back to reading today and this weekend. So far I have liked what a read. It reminds me of a serialized drama which I am a big fan of.
    I will be answering the questions as soon as I get caught up.
    I do think Alejandro is taking the player part very well. I always thought of Paolo as a player type along with Don Lothario. Something about his look combined with his name always gave me that feel about him.

@Maladi777 Thanks so much for the compliment. I really enjoyed reading your story and I look forward to following it in the future.
    I totally understand about having a bloated cast of characters as that is my situation too. Its also fun to loan out characters to see how another writer develops their personality. I've loaned out characters and borrowed some too. It's nice to see a life given to a character in an alternative universe who may not be able to give your full focus to due to the fact there is so much more on your plate at the moment. Now that I know about Ethan's life in an alternative universe I'll have to add @pammiechick 's story to my future reading list as soon as I am caught up here. I'm always looking for new reading material. Ironically she is doing a sims 4 I'm a Lover Challenge and I have Katherine in a Sims 3 I'm a lover challenge.

@Everyone I wish all of you a very happy weekend.

edited May 2018
    @candycottonchu I've only read a few chapters but I had to help my elderly parents this week so I will be getting back to reading today and this weekend. So far I have liked what a read. It reminds me of a serialized drama which I am a big fan of.
    I will be answering the questions as soon as I get caught up.
    I do think Alejandro is taking the player part very well. I always thought of Paolo as a player type along with Don Lothario. Something about his look combined with his name always gave me that feel about him.

@Everyone I wish all of you a very happy weekend.

No need to apologize! I hope your parents are doing fine. It's great that you can help them!

I'm glad you like what you read so far, and thanks for all the comments!
    About Paolo, you really might be right, he does look like that. I'm afraid I might have not given him the story depth he deserved, though, same as with Don... I focus more on my own characters than game generated ones.

Have a happy weekend from me too, everyone!