Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

All This Beautiful Landscaping...

For what? There’s not really much you can do with it.

I love the beautiful lakes and ponds. I hate that my sims can’t take a little swim or dip their feet in the water. Or skip stones.

And the big steam boats and trolleys. I wish my sims could take a ride on them.

And the beach in Brindleton Bay, I haven’t bought Cats & Dogs yet but I’m assuming that my sims can’t go surfing or build sandcastles.

There’s only but so much you can do with the actual neighborhood landscapes :(

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    With Sims 4 they paint you a picture and you may watch. That’s not new though, it’s been like that from the beginning.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • geoffreypageoffreypa Posts: 355 Member
    hmmmm game play, not likely.
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited April 2018
    All static window dressing to hide how very little is actually playable. To me it taunts us about how great Sims 3's open world could have been made even greater, if only they knew what they were doing in the first place
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited April 2018
    All static window dressing to hide how very little is actually playable. To me it taunts us about how great Sims 3's open world could have been made even greater, if only they knew what they were doing in the first place

Even though open world is dead in Sims 4. It would have been great if EA/Maxis could have tweaked and then master the feature in Sims 4. I cannot get too happy over static neighborhoods and where is the glory in having static neighborhoods. How can I praise Sims 4 for it's shortcomings that does not even bring anything to the table. EA/Maxis knew there was going to be some backlash even if it had some loyal followers. The controversy in Sims 4 will never die for I see Sims 4 as an step below Sims 3 and three steps below Sims 2 and EA/Maxis should have expanded Sims 4 with features from both. So much cutting and gutting and it sad that Sims 4 has few features.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Jaysims wrote: »

I love the beautiful lakes and ponds. I hate that my sims can’t take a little swim or dip their feet in the water. Or skip stones.

And the beach in Brindleton Bay, I haven’t bought Cats & Dogs yet but I’m assuming that my sims can’t go surfing or build sandcastles.

unfortunately the sims 4 is more proud of backdrops and illusions :#
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    It is really sad.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Sad and one wasted opportunity after another. The game has so much potential, then they blow it by not following through. Not like it's not been done before either. When TS2 gave us beaches, we also had the ability to use them. And so on.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Yes and I remember when everyone thought Sims 4 was so much better then Sims 3. It does work better I will give it that as a whole but the reason is because they didn't give us much to play with. Not much to upset the apple cart.
    edited April 2018
    candy8 wrote: »
    Yes and I remember when everyone thought Sims 4 was so much better then Sims 3. It does work better I will give it that as a whole but the reason is because they didn't give us much to play with. Not much to upset the apple cart.

I agree with you.
    I think sims look better in 4 but being better than 3 as a game. if it was than why as it not got all the missing features in it.

if i want full life stages
    story progression
    open world
    proper and large worlds
    create a pattern
    create a world
    terrain,water tools
    shopping
    full NPC's
    I have to go back to the other games as 4 did not provide them all!
    of course it runs better. its got not even half of what 2 and 3 had:#
    Post edited by marcel21 on

Jaysims wrote: »

one of the main reasons I hate the worlds in 4. just too much backdrops,illusions :#
    nothing to do in them

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Smoke and mirrors...
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    marcel21 wrote: »
    candy8 wrote: »

I agree with you.
    I think sims look better in 4 but being better than 3 as a game. if it was than why as it not got all the missing features in it.

if i want full life stages
    story progression
    open world
    proper and large worlds
    create a pattern
    create a world
    terrain,water tools
    shopping
    full NPC's
    I have to go back to the other games as 4 did not provide them all!
    of course it runs better. its got not even half of what 2 and 3 had:#

Shopping already exist you just have to build them. I for one prefer to build shops where my sims can go buy furniture instead of using build mode.
  • FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    I have to agree with the OP here. I would love my sims to be able to interact more with their environment. I realise that, with Sims 3, activities like building sandcastles and swimming in the sea were only introduced fairly late in the series, but I would have expected that by now Sims 4 would have at least some of these things. Heck, my sims can't even play ball with each other on the beach!
    FKM100 wrote: »
    I have to agree with the OP here. I would love my sims to be able to interact more with their environment. I realise that, with Sims 3, activities like building sandcastles and swimming in the sea were only introduced fairly late in the series, but I would have expected that by now Sims 4 would have at least some of these things. Heck, my sims can't even play ball with each other on the beach!
    Building sandcastles was introduced 2 years in. Swimming in the sea 3,5 years in. We’ve passed that by now for Sims 4 but patience is a virtue with this version.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • momboqueenmomboqueen Posts: 1,721 Member
    They should have used the trolleys for transportation if they weren't going to give us cars. The steamboats are a great opportunity for gambling boats or vacation cruises . But no just window dressing.
  • rune1973rune1973 Posts: 15 New Member
    ive seen how the map and landscape looks it looks awesome and you wished your sim could go there but cant its a shame.
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I feel the same way. When I went to the Island in Brindleton I was like wow this is beautiful. But my sims cant take a boat out on the water, or sit by the shore and build a sandcastle , or find seashells and put them in a jar. Or sunbathe. Or swim in the water :D
  • jhgkjhgkjhjhgkjhgkjh Posts: 256 Member
    Honestly I have to admit I love all the landscaping. :blush: I love to send my Sims out to take pictures for my buildings. Brindelton Bay is beautiful and the sunsets really exceptional. But I am more a builder than a player. And although I miss some of the TS3 features, I really like that crashes are rare and the game doesn't lag like in TS3.
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
    Maya Angelou

Please excuse my English and feel free to correct any mistake you find. :) It is not my native language.
    Gallery ID: kjhgkjgkjhgk
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited May 2018
    jhgkjhgkjh wrote: »
    Honestly I have to admit I love all the landscaping. :blush: I love to send my Sims out to take pictures for my buildings. Brindelton Bay is beautiful and the sunsets really exceptional. But I am more a builder than a player. And although I miss some of the TS3 features, I really like that crashes are rare and the game doesn't lag like in TS3.

I never have crashes or lag in Sims 3 (Many of my sims 3 friends can tell you the same thing by the way) - so that obviously was not a problem all simmers got - and does not really help Sims 4's cause for many of us if that is your only reasoning - and not a reason at all to me - then technically we've only lost and not gained a thing by having world building and neighborhood editing taken away.

Just to clarify - I did see many complain of at least lag in Sims 3 - but do not recall many complaints of crashes - but anyway - I do also see just about as many complaints here in Sims 4 of lag, time lag, and freezes - as well - again like in Sims 3 I also do not have those issues in this game either - and you say you do not have the issues either. So that just goes to prove not everyones pc plays the game the same - or as badly or better than you or I do. So for people with issues - well they aren't happy and I am sure they also probably would not agree this game plays better either - because to them it does not.

In fact in both cases I do feel it is more to do with the pc being used and less about either game that would explain why some have issues and others don't - in either case it's apparently not the game with an issue - so in that respect wouldn't they be pretty much equal in actual play-ability? I'd have to say yes from my experience.

Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

I never have crashes or lag in Sims 3 (Many of my sims 3 friends can tell you the same thing by the way) - so that obviously was not a problem all simmers got - and does not really help Sims 4's cause for many of us if that is your only reasoning - and not a reason at all to me - then technically we've only lost and not gained a thing by having world building and neighborhood editing taken away.

Just to clarify - I did see many complain of at least lag in Sims 3 - but do not recall many complaints of crashes - but anyway - I do also see just about as many complaints here in Sims 4 of lag, time lag, and freezes - as well - again like in Sims 3 I also do not have those issues in this game either - and you say you do not have the issues either. So that just goes to prove not everyones pc plays the game the same - or as badly or better than you or I do. So for people with issues - well they aren't happy and I am sure they also probably would not agree this game plays better either - because to them it does not.

In fact in both cases I do feel it is more to do with the pc being used and less about either game that would explain why some have issues and others don't - in either case it's apparently not the game with an issue - so in that respect wouldn't they be pretty much equal in actual play-ability? I'd have to say yes from my experience.

I got Sims 4 because my saves in 3 were causing the computer to crash in the loading screen. I never had serious lag issues or freezes but I did have my game crash a lot near the end. It was generations that really did it to me, I got that pack last for really cheap right around Sims 4s release, after that my games wouldn't load in.
    I always assumed my saves had gotten corrupted somewhere and that's why they were causing crashes on me. I recently reinstalled 3 and am not having any issues at all any more on the same pc, which is the main reason why I think it has to do with my save files not the game. Although I didn't reinstall generations either since I never used the content in it.

Not disagreeing by the way, just something I noticed that tied into the conversation :)
  • DraconDracon Posts: 119 Member
    Nothing is more saddening when this becomes apparent when I am in San Myshuno. A stunning city, with the backdrops showing rows upon rows of great and gleaming skyscrapers, yet it is alas but a mirage. I wish that the worlds had more soul and depth into them than what they are now.

Exactly this :) It is a pity some of the worlds in 3 weren’t designed properly by the way, but I don’t think anyone would want them to repeat that.
    5JZ57S6.png
    BeJaWa wrote: »

I got Sims 4 because my saves in 3 were causing the computer to crash in the loading screen. I never had serious lag issues or freezes but I did have my game crash a lot near the end. It was generations that really did it to me, I got that pack last for really cheap right around Sims 4s release, after that my games wouldn't load in.
    I always assumed my saves had gotten corrupted somewhere and that's why they were causing crashes on me. I recently reinstalled 3 and am not having any issues at all any more on the same pc, which is the main reason why I think it has to do with my save files not the game. Although I didn't reinstall generations either since I never used the content in it.

Not disagreeing by the way, just something I noticed that tied into the conversation :)
    Indeed, saves can get corrupted, disabling you to even open them. That’s why I always save as, in order to being able to return to a previous save (must add I rarely had that happening myself fortunately). I play with all EP’s, can’t say I notice any of them causing trouble. Generations did in the beginning (I think in combination with WA because that’s where the trouble began) but I suppose they fixed that. Sims 3 definitely is a delicate old lady by the way, it’s important to handle her with care. I’m wholeheartedly prepared to pay her that respect for what I get in return ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    That's the main reason why I never play in Brindleton Bay. I find it so beautiful, yet so boring and empty.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • jhgkjhgkjhjhgkjhgkjh Posts: 256 Member
    edited May 2018

I do recall complaints about crashes in TS3, especially when Island Paradise came out.
    Although I had a really really high end gaming pc back then, TS3 with all the expansion packs still was hard to handle. I had a lot of crashes and the game lagged a lot near the end with the "future expansion". I felt the game was really high maintenance due to corrupted saves I had do erase manually and I installed the game more than once with all expansions. *sigh* Still I loved TS3 for what it was and I do miss some features, but I don't want to go back.

TS4 doesn't seem work for some people either, but still it is game that doesn't seem to need a lot of resources like TS3. I play it with my normal "working" computer (not on ultra but on high graphic settings) and it works fine for me (and for most of the people I know).
    Yes, there are bugs and issues but there are lots of features I really like about TS4. One part is the surroundings and the neighborhoods. This is the first time in a Sims game I actually send a Sim to stroll around town like San Myshuno or Brindelton Bay to admire the landscaping or the city life. Never felt like this in Bridgeport. Although I loved how big it was, it still took the Sim forever to go somewhere to use an elevator or the subway...
    Maybe a new expansion will give us more to do with all the landscaping, but until then I simply enjoy it.
    You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.
    Maya Angelou

Please excuse my English and feel free to correct any mistake you find. :) It is not my native language.
    Gallery ID: kjhgkjgkjhgk