Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recycling old content and a lack of creativity in development

Comments

• Options
    AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    NickSims wrote: »
    Stormsview wrote: »

Let this be known this is just a free update, your game will just change in build mode. and it will only work on furniture that you own.

I did not want to write a book so I decided to wait on a couple comments then run this ideal pass you simmer's fans.

Now we know everyone wants a color wheel, correct? And we also know why they are just fun. You get more control of your finish object. let's say a bed for example. So they give you a green bed and a new blue bed. But you want that perfect greenish blue you love right?

Then let's say they wanted to make you happy so they came up with 8 new couches, 8 new everything and called it the furniture pack. You did not get the color wheel but you did get a motherlode of furniture.

Everyone looks in the pack and said well I like 2 of the pieces but most I don't want. Sounds a lot like us, Correct.

Ok think about this you go to build mode and you need a couch, you click on couches and you pick the one you like best, but not really perfect yet. So what if you could change the pillows, then change the legs to that couch, change the texture of your couch to any available texture for furniture. You could change the arms, even the back. Well, truly your building your own couch. Ok, now your smiling. :)

Let's get to the problem beds, same as the couch/sofa you get a choice of your backboards, footboards, and rails, or even a princess bed. ok, so you now get to pick your mattress thickness and let it match the money your sims have to spend. also, change your bedspread to a comforter or anything you want or do not want on your bed. same with the couch textures you have the choice to match because all fabrics are joined to one complete set. We should have the choice of bed-skirts and even drapes that match your bed. same with rugs.
    And of course, we get the color wheel.

This should go for all the furniture in the home more control.
    So we can have something like create-your-furniture. No one knows what you want in furniture more than you the simmer. It does not matter how many couches you get, they will never please everyone.
    No fighting just fun play.
    Yup, you like this ideal, don't you? :)

That would be cool, though it seems to be even more advanced than CASt in TS3. I don't see what this idea has to do with OP.

Neither do I, and I find it amazing how much this thread avoids the point I tried to highlight the most: the vet career is so lazily recycled that it recycles old bugs. This is a new low for recycling, because I don't ever recall this happening before. It's a huge part of why I'd be concerned about recycling features, yet it's barely being mentioned here. Dunno what you guys are even discussing anymore and I mean what the heck, I made the thread.

The vet career is something I always complain about as it is just Get to Work careers meet retail/restaurant: scripted, tedious, restrictive. I however didn't think about the fact that it is in fact a badly done/full of bugs feature copy pasted. I guess there's just usually so much to complain about with this game that sometimes we miss massive things like this.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • Options
    ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    BeJaWa
    If you are an artist or other creative entrepreneurs you are involved in the world of intellectual property whether you know it or not. Intellectual property deals with the things that are created and gives them certain rights and protections under the law. These include rights for artistic, musical, film and literary works, the creation of symbols, designs and phrases, inventions and processes. In general, these types of intellectual property fall under the categories of copyrights, trademarks, and patents.

Intellectual property (IP) refers to creations of the mind, such as inventions literary and artistic works; designs; and symbols, names and images used in commerce. IP is protected in law ... Generally speaking, a patent provides the patent owner with the right to decide how - or whether the invention can be used by others
    My point originally was that the situation you described is highly unlikely to occur with how IP laws a written, and should not interfere with creating new unique furniture.
    As someone else pointed out other versions managed fine and I can point to items even in ts4 (ie that table fish tank) that clearly were influenced by real life furniture.
    What you address here was not my original point, and doesn't actually conflict with what I was trying to say. (and I agree with it) as it is I don't really want to debate law here it isn't on topic. If people really care there is tons of information on the internet to read through regarding the topic, I found that website the most handy along with this one. :)

There was one mistake I made regarding patents, there is such a thing as a design patent for decorative work. That wouldn't change much else of what I said.

You mentioned something else about real life furniture stores only having a couple of designs that I also wanted to comment on,
    We have access to many stores in real life so while one store might have a limited selection we as people actually have a large variety of options available. While sims only has one catalog to look through I always kind of considered it to be like looking through many store and shops to find the best furniture not only looking through one store.

While I agree having more small animations would be nice, I still don't want duplicate items to fill out packs. If we got less items to make room for those animations it would be better, but I don't know that the CL chair mentioned before actually did make any room. In this case we reach the point of, "if recycling is actually allowing for more depth in other content vs when recycling is just being done because it makes packs look full for less cost to the developers." I feel like it goes both ways with ts4. Sometimes it's done to add more depth sometimes it's just done.
  • Options
    thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    I find it amazing how much this thread avoids the point I tried to highlight the most: the vet career is so lazily recycled that it recycles old bugs. This is a new low for recycling, because I don't ever recall this happening before. It's a huge part of why I'd be concerned about recycling features, yet it's barely being mentioned here. Dunno what you guys are even discussing anymore and I mean what the heck, I made the thread.

Agree

• Options
    thevogel wrote: »
    I find it amazing how much this thread avoids the point I tried to highlight the most: the vet career is so lazily recycled that it recycles old bugs. This is a new low for recycling, because I don't ever recall this happening before. It's a huge part of why I'd be concerned about recycling features, yet it's barely being mentioned here. Dunno what you guys are even discussing anymore and I mean what the heck, I made the thread.

Agree
    What shall we say about the vet career?
    I mean obviously I think it should get rid of the bugs, but what else? I quite frankly would like for them to stop recycling active careers period. I don't think they work well unless you have your household live on the lot, because it's to hard to control all your other sims.
    I feel like when I say that I'm leaving space open for other things (food stands, hot tubs) that I would be fine with being recycled to not be recycled.

I suppose a good question would be, if they magically had it so there were none of the bugs in any of the careers would the vet career be fine? Would having other future active careers be fine?
    I think it probably would have been despite my own dislike for active careers.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2018

Agree

I don't agree as the op's highlight is apparently in their game but not necessarily in all players game. It could be the fault of their equipment and not the game at all - from the prospective of a player that sees very few bugs in the Sims 4 and the few I have experienced have been since ratified so they no longer exist. GTW is actually a pack I play the most as I like the hands on careers and have no issues with those Bug-wise anyway. I admitted I am not fond of the retail - but it is not due to bugs but the overall design of the retail which I find flawed solely based on the fact Sims 2 made my preferred perfected retail design and favored choice as to how I prefer the retail experience - but not a thing due to flaws or bugs at all.

Likewise I am not fond of running my own restaurant because as a restaurant OWNER I should have full rights to hire whom ever I desired in my restaurant - so I totally differ in opinion with the design used for restaurant ownership and employment - but again not a bug - but my own dislike of being told who and who not I can hire in my own property in the game. Maybe call it a power choice and to me the power should be in the hands of the owner - but it is a disagreement in the delegation of power in restaurant ownership - again not a bug. I do enjoy taking my sims to the restaurants though.

In the vet career I believe players have an issues where as again they cannot put who ever they want in vet office - they again have to pick from a pre-chosen list - which in this day and age could be sort of considered discriminatory to start with, but that is another argument for another day - but just like restaurant employees list - the choices are highly limited with grossly unqualified personnel - again not a bug but a bad design choice and probably the reason this game seriously needed University as the first ep that covered courses of jobs forthcoming in the game - but as we all know because of all the apparently needed secrecy in future content that might have guaranteed a well balance job force for the Sims game (ironic EA requires their employees come though with appropriate skills and education in real life, but their game about life - doesn't have to follow the rules of life - but again another disagreement on how a game even based lightly on life should have certain priorities for skilled workers - again NOT a BUG but a lousy game design choice that is based on life absolutely no where on our planet). The point is bad game design still is not bugs in the game . It is simply an annoyance to people like some of us that can't understand why on earth those choices were made - but at the same time can still see it is not a bug - at least not in everyone's game - and reject someone saying it is even if I truly agree that the game choice design was weak (terrible actually) and if it was thought out - then it seriously needs rethinking as that is not how real life goes. We don't get to be professionals with JUST on the job training.

So I agree OP not with any bugs, but there's really some bad game design choices in these owner businesses - but bugs - not in my game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member

Let this be known this is just a free update, your game will just change in build mode. and it will only work on furniture that you own.

I did not want to write a book so I decided to wait on a couple comments then run this ideal pass you simmer's fans.

Now we know everyone wants a color wheel, correct? And we also know why they are just fun. You get more control of your finish object. let's say a bed for example. So they give you a green bed and a new blue bed. But you want that perfect greenish blue you love right?

Then let's say they wanted to make you happy so they came up with 8 new couches, 8 new everything and called it the furniture pack. You did not get the color wheel but you did get a motherlode of furniture.

Everyone looks in the pack and said well I like 2 of the pieces but most I don't want. Sounds a lot like us, Correct.

Ok think about this you go to build mode and you need a couch, you click on couches and you pick the one you like best, but not really perfect yet. So what if you could change the pillows, then change the legs to that couch, change the texture of your couch to any available texture for furniture. You could change the arms, even the back. Well, truly your building your own couch. Ok, now your smiling. :)

Let's get to the problem beds, same as the couch/sofa you get a choice of your backboards, footboards, and rails, or even a princess bed. ok, so you now get to pick your mattress thickness and let it match the money your sims have to spend. also, change your bedspread to a comforter or anything you want or do not want on your bed. same with the couch textures you have the choice to match because all fabrics are joined to one complete set. We should have the choice of bed-skirts and even drapes that match your bed. same with rugs.

So we can have something like create-your-furniture. No one knows what you want in furniture more than you the simmer. It does not matter how many couches you get, they will never please everyone.

That would be cool, though it seems to be even more advanced than CASt in TS3. I don't see what this idea has to do with OP.

Neither do I, and I find it amazing how much this thread avoids the point I tried to highlight the most: the vet career is so lazily recycled that it recycles old bugs. This is a new low for recycling, because I don't ever recall this happening before. It's a huge part of why I'd be concerned about recycling features, yet it's barely being mentioned here. Dunno what you guys are even discussing anymore and I mean what the heck, I made the thread.
    If you’d pay close attention you’d see that some of us repeatedly have tried to keep bringing the discussion back to that subject, but the urge to keep derailing the topic is strong with this one for some reason.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    The bugs in the vet career are despicable, but then look at the doctors career. Another buggy mess on two gaming rigs above and beyond specifications.

Last time I played the doctor career, the receptionist stood outside all day long. Patients kept going and sitting in the receptionist chair. The other nurse went and sat on the seat in the children’s waiting area which is ironic as guests themselves don’t use the seats, just stand at the desk. When she wasn’t doing that she went and spoke to the one last patient awaiting treatment and and my sim couldn’t treat them.

The vet career? Where shall we begin? Tested with the two vet clinics maxis built and the one in BB. Staff would rather play on the computer then treat patients. Training has no effect. Again lots of standing around ignoring the mess on the floor. Can’t blame the layout as it’s maxis made and should in theory work. Visiting the vet as a customer can be a long experience, waiting ages on staff bothering to treat your pet.

I agree @DeservedCriticism, people are so desperate to pretend the above doesn’t happen but it does. All the time. Saw it on two vanilla games and even saw it on GTW on the PS4 port. It’s nothing short of disgraceful they perform this way.
  • Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

A Bit of Help:
    Sometimes it's better to take baby steps? instead of giant steps in gulps. lol

Complaints about the Vet career, but is it EA's Creativity at fault.? watch these Video of what a first day can really be like.
    When your a first-time Vet try to start with just you in a small vet. this person made a small vet with very little money. but she really enjoyed her first day.
    you may want to try out how creative you could be with just yourself working at your own small vet. Then hire a New Vet just to clean. It's best to take your Career one step at a time. Don't give up it could be a lot of fun for you as it has been for many simmers.

first-day low money
    https://youtu.be/rSurxUdJ9qs

First day
    https://youtu.be/h_xoBjP8uo0

The doctor's career is not to be compared to the Vet career, you can not buy a hospital, a doctor has no control to take his family or himself to a hospital, a doctor has no control over when he opens the hospital or when it close or how it's decorated. Come on guys get it right. Remember Doctors have NO control Vets has full control. got it? ok Great :smiley:
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2018

I just rather gonna ignore and let them do and go by their way from now, since I don't see any value in their replies when they're not contributing to the specific aspect of the topic that the thread is asking for. It's like teaching a child to say it's first "momma", but that child for odd reason says "uncle", when he's even not at home.

Well we can agree on something at least. I choose building own furniture (similar to TS2 Body Shop) and actually different looking furniture objects at any day than purchasing an overprice pack that offers only recolors/reskins of the particular exact-shaped object.
    Complaints about the Vet career, but is it EA's Creativity at fault.?

No, but what I can tell it's the fault of lack of bug testers or (also known as) quality assurance team. I feel developers their own could have it as a second title to test things If they know how to time manage things right in the development.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member

Well we can agree on something at least. I choose building own furniture (similar to TS2 Body Shop) and actually different looking furniture objects at any day than purchasing an overprice pack that offers only recolors/reskins of the particular exact-shaped object.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options

A Bit of Help:

Complaints about the Vet career, but is it EA's Creativity at fault.? watch these Video of what a first day can really be like.
    When your a first-time Vet try to start with just you in a small vet. this person made a small vet with very little money. but she really enjoyed her first day.
    you may want to try out how creative you could be with just yourself working at your own small vet. Then hire a New Vet just to clean. It's best to take your Career one step at a time. Don't give up it could be a lot of fun for you as it has been for many simmers.

first-day low money

First day

The doctor's career is not to be compared to the Vet career, you can not buy a hospital, a doctor has no control to take his family or himself to a hospital, a doctor has no control over when he opens the hospital or when it close or how it's decorated. Come on guys get it right. Remember Doctors have NO control Vets has full control. got it? ok Great :smiley:

Full control? Ha ha ha

Sorry. But full control is me telling my employee to do something and he does it. Full control is having training and disclipine be effective. The career is not creative. You are bound by the many, many restrictions and bugs that are second nature to this game.

And they can be compared the npc staff are completely useless, much like a chocolate fire guard.

Also I think inherently recycling an old idea isn't really creative. Might be practical, but it isn't creating anything new.
  • Options
    BeJaWa wrote: »

A Bit of Help:

first-day low money

First day

Full control? Ha ha ha

Sorry. But full control is me telling my employee to do something and he does it. Full control is having training and disclipine be effective. The career is not creative. You are bound by the many, many restrictions and bugs that are second nature to this game.

And they can be compared the npc staff are completely useless, much like a chocolate fire guard.

Also I think inherently recycling an old idea isn't really creative. Might be practical, but it isn't creating anything new.

Its not, it is a time saver/ corner cutter and not much else.
  • Options
    SuperCoolRachaelSuperCoolRachael Posts: 392 Member
    edited April 2018
    There's no way I'm going to read this entire thread, but I have to agree with OP. I am seeing a lot of recycling, and I don't even have all the packs! And although I really love the new recipes and collections, I also agree that a pack should have new content that appeals to all different kinds of players.

In fact, when I first got Jungle Adventure, I was very disappointed with how similar it seemed to Outdoor Retreat. Although there was a new neighborhood/world, it behaved in much the same way as Granite Falls. This was alleviated somewhat upon discovering that the temples did have puzzles to solve, but it's still far, far inferior to World Adventures from TS3 (my all-time favorite expansion pack). There was only one new skill and recipe (I think?) per vacation destination, but the worlds and ruins and errands you could go on were beautiful and fun. I remember there was one location in Champs les Sims where you had to turn on a stereo in order to advance. Even though there were only a few different kinds of traps, all the different locations, and many of the different overall puzzles, were unique. If I were to get TS3 today, I could easily spend weeks, even months, exploring everything that EP had to offer.

City Living is definitely my favorite EP, but still, most EPs from TS3 would blow it out of the water.

In many ways, I love TS4 more than TS3. I love the way aspirations are composed of a bunch of smaller goals, I think the Sims look more natural and less uncanny valley, we can have female Sims that can impregnate and male Sims that can get pregnant without getting abducted, and toddlers are more independent (and adorable) than ever.

But if there's one thing TS3 did better, it was unique expansion packs.

That said, I believe food stalls are in this game so that you don't have to get City Living in order to have them (although maybe food stalls should have been in the base game instead?). Lots of different parts of the world have that kind of thing.

ETA: And recycled bugs, of course, are unacceptable.
  • Options
    marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member
    Um... it’s been a long time since I have played Sims 3, but I’m pretty sure Sims 3 has something called CASt (Create a Style), where we can change the texture of the house and objects and clothing....?

And it has a color wheel, too, for everything. So I don’t have to buy the recolors.

Oh, and Create a Pattern as well (in 2010?).

And Sims 3 also has build tools, too!

So Sims 3 does have plenty of ways to be creative in the technical sense. That’s a fact.

ETA:
    Found the CASt:

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Create_a_Style

Create a Pattern: http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Create_a_Pattern

agree with your whole post.
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

• Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

If you’d pay close attention you’d see that some of us repeatedly have tried to keep bringing the discussion back to that subject, but the urge to keep derailing the topic is strong with this one for some reason.

True which is why I gave up on answering because I have no idea what most people on here are even discussing anymore :)
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

A Bit of Help:

first-day low money

First day

Well in the post that I made, I too am starting out with a small clinic. One exam room, and after about a week and a half, my sim hired an assistant. I think I've only done two or three videos so far with my sim. And those where before she hired help. Once she hired help, that's when my issues started. I can't remember all that I posted about but my main issue is the assistant - even though I have her set to only clean - still goes and tries to treat pets. That ends up preventing my sim from treating pets. And they honestly spend half the day back and forth trying to tend to the same two pets.

I'm so frustrated at this point that I hardly have her go to her clinic. And it sucks, because I was having a lot of fun playing it. I even checked twice, just to make sure that I didn't accidentally set the assistant to care for animals. She is only set to clean. She refuses to clean. She just wants those darn pets. lol And when she's not after them she will stand around and do nothing. The clinic needs cleaning, and my sim has to do it. At this point I'm ready to fire her. Possibly hire someone else. But I'm nervous that they too, will behave in the same manner.

As for the medical career. I enjoy it to a point. Like others have said, I hate how co-workers just stand around and do nothing, or they will sit and play games on the computers. My nurse never does a dang on thing. The receptionist will not check anyone it. At first I thought it was a glitch due to mods. But when I got GTW when it first came out, I purposefully removed all of my mods before playing.

The nurse will always start up a conversation with the patient you are trying to treat, which messes up your day. And when you try to shoo them, they don't move. I've gone as far as resetting them. Which does nothing.

And last but not least - ever since I've gotten GTW, my female sims cannot give birth at the hospital. They check in, and nothing happens. I have to exit to the title screen and reload their houses. Again, this is in a vanilla game as well as modded. So I know it's not mods.

I know for some, these are minor issues. But these should be addressed, not ignored. And instead of recycling an already broken activity, they needs to build a new one from scratch. They are trying to turn the Sims 4 around. But ignoring glitches and bugs like this, and then reusing them, isn't helping their cause.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    StormsviewStormsview Posts: 2,603 Member

A Bit of Help:

first-day low money

First day

Well in the post that I made, I too am starting out with a small clinic. One exam room, and after about a week and a half, my sim hired an assistant. I think I've only done two or three videos so far with my sim. And those where before she hired help. Once she hired help, that's when my issues started. I can't remember all that I posted about but my main issue is the assistant - even though I have her set to only clean - still goes and tries to treat pets. That ends up preventing my sim from treating pets. And they honestly spend half the day back and forth trying to tend to the same two pets.

I'm so frustrated at this point that I hardly have her go to her clinic. And it plum, because I was having a lot of fun playing it. I even checked twice, just to make sure that I didn't accidentally set the assistant to care for animals. She is only set to clean. She refuses to clean. She just wants those darn pets. lol And when she's not after them she will stand around and do nothing. The clinic needs cleaning, and my sim has to do it. At this point I'm ready to fire her. Possibly hire someone else. But I'm nervous that they too, will behave in the same manner.

As for the medical career. I enjoy it to a point. Like others have said, I hate how co-workers just stand around and do nothing, or they will sit and play games on the computers. My nurse never does a dang on thing. The receptionist will not check anyone it. At first I thought it was a glitch due to mods. But when I got GTW when it first came out, I purposefully removed all of my mods before playing.

The nurse will always start up a conversation with the patient you are trying to treat, which messes up your day. And when you try to shoo them, they don't move. I've gone as far as resetting them. Which does nothing.

And last but not least - ever since I've gotten GTW, my female sims cannot give birth at the hospital. They check in, and nothing happens. I have to exit to the title screen and reload their houses. Again, this is in a vanilla game as well as modded. So I know it's not mods.

I know for some, these are minor issues. But these should be addressed, not ignored. And instead of recycling an already broken activity, they needs to build a new one from scratch. They are trying to turn the Sims 4 around. But ignoring glitches and bugs like this, and then reusing them, isn't helping their cause.

You should fire that employee and get another one not all of them are good. Just buy another exam table, and do not give the new employee any orders at all. I find that works best. if I just ignore them. They do everything and clean. So give it a try.
    we'll give you a full refund. Just make sure you make your request within 24 hours after you first launch the game, within seven days from your date of purchase, or within seven days from the game's release date if you pre-ordered, whichever comes first.
    Who said EA doesn't have a sense of humor
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

I think the toddlers were always meant to be in the base game because its the only way it would work, after all, they are part of the Sims family.
    Think about it, if you give birth to a baby in sims 4 you age it up to a toddler only if you buy the pack, NoWay! I think that would have been unreasonable.
    I do not feel they ever had the intention of selling the toddler apart from the base pack.
    Those are some beautiful toddlers and with very lifelike animations. It would take about two years in creating them.
    I agree with you that EA wouldn’t plan to sell the toddlers for money. But this is far from the only time that EA has released a Sims game without toddlers and the Sims 2 games for consoles didn’t even have children at all. Therefore I don’t really wonder that EA planned to let TS4 just become a Sims game without toddlers (and with simplified babies and teens too) when the main new things in TS4 instead were planned to be more multitasking and more happy partying for adults.

The toddlers became nice when they released them. But it can’t have taken more time for them to make the toddlers anyway than they usually use on a GP which they can make in just about 4 months.

Also EA never would have let them use that much time on making toddlers as free content unless EA was desperate and believed that impressing toddlers were the only thing that could get the sales numbers for TS4 packs up to an acceptable level. And the reviews all over the web surely confirmed EA in this! Therefore I am still sure that toddlers were made in desperation and not at all as a part of EA’s original plans for TS4.

I have a slightly different theory -- not to speak ill of the departed, but the focus of the game took a different turn when Rachel Franklin left. Maybe toddlers weren't in her view of the Sims and thus the game became overly focused on young adults and partying. Once she left, we got more of a focus on toddlers and family play. So it wasn't a desperation move, but more of a change in management and focus. And we certainly got far better toddlers than if they'd tried to shoehorn them in at the last minute. I have a single dad who's dealing with a very inquisitive alien daughter (with the help of his sister who lives with them) and the family is awesome.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think recycling these careers is a pretty good show of how tediuous it is to go to work and all jobs are the same after a while.

;)
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options

Recycling of content is one thing... it's lazy. But the recycling of the professions by using the same bugged mechanics from another system... is beyond lazy. If there were problems in the retail system and then they use that same formula for the vet career... why wouldn't they get the bugs and kinks out of it before launch, and why would it be made the same if it clearly wasn't working before.

Also, the doctor and sciententist careers are using some of the same type of work stations, and the mechanics of the grind are the same. The recycling is glaring.... how can anyone not see this?

It's like the OP said. " if a pack manages to deliver quality content, then recycling existing content can be warranted if smaller features are recycled. I have no way of knowing why they chose to recycle it, but I believe in good faith and benefit of the doubt, so if the pack is solid and there's recycled content, I'll assume they needed to recycle content so they could focus on putting more effort elsewhere."

An therein lies the problem... They are not using the time, money, or effort somewhere else in the game. More compromised and buggy mechanics, as well as recolors of things already in the game does not make a Solid DLC pack.

Look, people are going to spend Their money where they want.... and they can defend this version of the franchise because that is where they spent the money, and want to believe it was a good decision. I know I did... in the beginning.... But when I started questioning why.... why are there so many mis-matching things, and why do they keep recoloring the same things already in the game that I've now paid for twice, and why do these jobs seem to do the same thing over and over.... I knew that I had been lied to.

I sit here looking at thread after thread after thread of the disappointments and wonder why are people still buying this? Why are those of us who question these things being punished for asking... what happened? Why is this game just a regurgitated version of what it could be?

If I'm going to invest my time and money into a game / franchise that is supposed to give me enjoyment.... then it better be enjoyable.... not recyclable.
  • Options
    SimmerNickYTSimmerNickYT Posts: 703 Member
    Recycling of content is one thing... it's lazy. But the recycling of the professions by using the same bugged mechanics from another system... is beyond lazy. If there were problems in the retail system and then they use that same formula for the vet career... why wouldn't they get the bugs and kinks out of it before launch, and why would it be made the same if it clearly wasn't working before.

Also, the doctor and sciententist careers are using some of the same type of work stations, and the mechanics of the grind are the same. The recycling is glaring.... how can anyone not see this?

It's like the OP said. " if a pack manages to deliver quality content, then recycling existing content can be warranted if smaller features are recycled. I have no way of knowing why they chose to recycle it, but I believe in good faith and benefit of the doubt, so if the pack is solid and there's recycled content, I'll assume they needed to recycle content so they could focus on putting more effort elsewhere."

An therein lies the problem... They are not using the time, money, or effort somewhere else in the game. More compromised and buggy mechanics, as well as recolors of things already in the game does not make a Solid DLC pack.

Look, people are going to spend Their money where they want.... and they can defend this version of the franchise because that is where they spent the money, and want to believe it was a good decision. I know I did... in the beginning.... But when I started questioning why.... why are there so many mis-matching things, and why do they keep recoloring the same things already in the game that I've now paid for twice, and why do these jobs seem to do the same thing over and over.... I knew that I had been lied to.

I sit here looking at thread after thread after thread of the disappointments and wonder why are people still buying this? Why are those of us who question these things being punished for asking... what happened? Why is this game just a regurgitated version of what it could be?

If I'm going to invest my time and money into a game / franchise that is supposed to give me enjoyment.... then it better be enjoyable.... not recyclable.

This is what I'm wondering too. I have stopped buying packs for this game since C&D, which was worth it to me for build/buy, and before that I hadn't bought anything for months. I won Laundry Day through a giveaway, while that is the only SP I would spend $10 on. I'm still going to play the game, but I'm done with all the useless objects and recycled gameplay we are getting. If you look at everything that has been added to TS4, DLC-wise, it's just one big pile of dissapointment. Nothing is new. Almost every pack was lacklustre in some kind of way. With Vampires they got it right, a whole new system and packed with content. Every pack should be like that. It should feel totally full and worthy. But it's just all so meh. I had to try my best not to buy Jungle Adventure at first, but then I saw how fast I would probably get tired of playing it. Maybe I'll buy Seasons, because I hate the eternal summer, but other than that I'm doing fine as it is.
    Not so obsessed anymore with building in TS4!
    YouTube: https://goo.gl/PK7vxR | The Gallery: https://goo.gl/a5DZAK
    Twitter: https://goo.gl/QzQVUK | Origin-ID: SimmerNickYT
    hPtVNfA.png
  • Options

A broken feature is one thing. Having the audacity to recycle a broken feature and demand $40 for it....? Whoa. I seriously cannot believe there was not outrage over this. Browse the forums and sure enough, you'll see very familiar complaints. "My Vet employees aren't working! They just stand around!" This is the exact same issue. They copy-pasted the retail system, bugs and all. They absolutely should've known this would've happened. This is a case where either they directly knew this might happen, or they should've known and the idea that they couldn't anticipate this is ridiculous.

And to the community itself: why are we not more critical of this? As I said, I can understand recycling certain assets. Sometimes it just makes sense and saves on time. I wouldn't expect new animations for excavation sites because we already have a perfectly good digging animation that suits it. However, I remain amazed they got away with recycling that Vet career (and all it's bugs) and I remain amazed how many of the animations/audio files/gameplay effects of social interactions are 100% identical.

I have to agree with what the OP is saying here... And I do think it goes along with what we as a consumer are willing to let slide and what we should be holding them accountable for.

When the developers create a couple of things in the game that are done well... we praise them to the moon and back. Like when Toddlers were finally put in the game...everyone went on and on about how well it was done. Somehow everything else that was so glaring recycled and recolored was no longer a concern. But that is where we are letting it slide, and therefore giving them license to continue this practice. Shouldn't everything in the game be as well done as Toddlers. Shouldn't every pack be a Solid pack?

If this version of the sims is a stand alone game, then shouldn't all of it's content, mechanics, and gameplay be new and engaging? Not recycled so many times that you can count how many times you've paid for the same thing in the same game, that is now just a different color? And the same with the game multitasking feature... If it's not working, why recycle it? shouldn't the problems with it be repaired or at least changed enough that the career itself is not broken at the time of game launch?

These are things we should be asking? I mean, if the game can't seem to hold anyone's attention longer than a couple of weeks before everyone is clambering "Hey what is next?" That says something about it's inability to keep someone engaged in the game. The constant recycling of clothing, furniture, plants, rugs, and game mechanics has left a "been there done that" feel...and I'm afraid no amount of additional DLC...or in EA's case... DLC for DLC is going to fix what is wrong at the core of this game.

• Options

A broken feature is one thing. Having the audacity to recycle a broken feature and demand $40 for it....? Whoa. I seriously cannot believe there was not outrage over this. Browse the forums and sure enough, you'll see very familiar complaints. "My Vet employees aren't working! They just stand around!" This is the exact same issue. They copy-pasted the retail system, bugs and all. They absolutely should've known this would've happened. This is a case where either they directly knew this might happen, or they should've known and the idea that they couldn't anticipate this is ridiculous.

And to the community itself: why are we not more critical of this? As I said, I can understand recycling certain assets. Sometimes it just makes sense and saves on time. I wouldn't expect new animations for excavation sites because we already have a perfectly good digging animation that suits it. However, I remain amazed they got away with recycling that Vet career (and all it's bugs) and I remain amazed how many of the animations/audio files/gameplay effects of social interactions are 100% identical.

I have to agree with what the OP is saying here... And I do think it goes along with what we as a consumer are willing to let slide and what we should be holding them accountable for.

When the developers create a couple of things in the game that are done well... we praise them to the moon and back. Like when Toddlers were finally put in the game...everyone went on and on about how well it was done. Somehow everything else that was so glaring recycled and recolored was no longer a concern. But that is where we are letting it slide, and therefore giving them license to continue this practice. Shouldn't everything in the game be as well done as Toddlers. Shouldn't every pack be a Solid pack?

If this version of the sims is a stand alone game, then shouldn't all of it's content, mechanics, and gameplay be new and engaging? Not recycled so many times that you can count how many times you've paid for the same thing in the same game, that is now just a different color? And the same with the game multitasking feature... If it's not working, why recycle it? shouldn't the problems with it be repaired or at least changed enough that the career itself is not broken at the time of game launch?

These are things we should be asking? I mean, if the game can't seem to hold anyone's attention longer than a couple of weeks before everyone is clambering "Hey what is next?" That says something about it's inability to keep someone engaged in the game. The constant recycling of clothing, furniture, plants, rugs, and game mechanics has left a "been there done that" feel...and I'm afraid no amount of additional DLC...or in EA's case... DLC for DLC is going to fix what is wrong at the core of this game.

Love this post. Everyone should read this anytime we get New dlc.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top