Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Vampire Nerf Decline, and Aliens?

DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
edited March 2018 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
After much debate and discussion on how vampire break-ins are important and the stress how it's vital to have OPTIONS for managing supernatural occurrence probability, @SimGuruNinja decided to return the percentage value of the random chance for vampires break-ins to be back to its normal scale. Though they weren't actually nerfed, to begin with, so the game pack team had a misconception that they already implemented their pre-planned changes of the gameplay mechanic. However, what we achieved in opening up this discussion with this controversy of an issue the potentially upcoming feature could have caused, If it weren't for our voices the team might have come to terms of submitting these changes, the things would have turn ugly or worsen the problem even more, with a big slam of backlash/outrage from those who purchased the game pack for that particular promoted feature that was tone down for a reason of not-well-thought solution.

Point is, the conclusion: Alien abductions should be un-nerfed (preferably patched in an update) , and the "my sims get kidnapped by flying saucer too often" problem should have an alternative solution tweak that pleases both parties of simmers (sci-fi fans and sci-fi skeptics). Sci-fi fans (I'm gonna label them as such for referring sakes) would like to have a method to trigger and initiate upon their command these abduction events, let it be through the classical expensive (or obtainable through grinding and as an object reward) telescope, through a new tab in options menu ("Supernatural/Occult/Creature Options") that gives the customization for alien's (along with other individual life states and their separate) frequency spawning chance slider and regarding story-progression events, or a lot trait enabling/disabling the possibility of being abducted (making it common/rare respectively). This concept should also be applied and be considered for any future-possible upcoming life states. While giving the option to how easily avoid triggering such events without much an hassle.

Share your thoughts reading simmers. How do you think alien abduction should be preferably handled code-wise? Ideally for simmers with diverse playstyles to each.
NNpYlHF.jpg

Comments

• TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I still think looking into cancelling these sorts of events like you can with the welcome wagon would be the best solution, if it's possible. Then they can happen as often as is reasonable for those that want them, and it's only one click to be rid of them for those that don't.

Personally, I'd prefer they be triggered and linked to only the specific household that starts them up. IMO, if Scientists trigger the aliens, they should be the ones to deal with them. If a Sim learns vampire lore, they should be the ones to deal with them. Same for any other similar event in the future. It shouldn't be save wide. But maybe that can't happen, I dunno.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2018
    I like your idea of scientists be the one that gets tracked by aliens and presented like the victim of being followed of being watch. Who knows, maybe extraterrestrials get insight from a (wo)man who is intelligent in their domain while they want to make a bargain of obtaining his/her information. Seems realistic to me.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I still think looking into cancelling these sorts of events like you can with the welcome wagon would be the best solution, if it's possible. Then they can happen as often as is reasonable for those that want them, and it's only one click to be rid of them for those that don't.

Personally, I'd prefer they be triggered and linked to only the specific household that starts them up. IMO, if Scientists trigger the aliens, they should be the ones to deal with them. If a Sim learns vampire lore, they should be the ones to deal with them. Same for any other similar event in the future. It shouldn't be save wide. But maybe that can't happen, I dunno.

I don't wanna need to instigate the break-ins. Period. That been said, ways to avoid it should of course be put in thought.

Aliens worked pretty well in Sims 2 where you had to search the sky to get abducted. It's a different matter since it can cause pregnancy, and I miss getting non-scientist sims involved.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode

I don't wanna need to instigate the break-ins. Period. That been said, ways to avoid it should of course be put in thought.

Yeah. Kind of like avoid getting killed by combusting laundry machine via cleaning the tray.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Was alien abductions not turned up a wee bit? I swear I read that in a patch note. Happy to be corrected.

I can't say vamps bother me. I rarely get breaks in. My sims don't study vampires (despite a billion whims to do so) and I don't get many visits. I do see lots of vamps hanging about in public lots in broad daylight but they are easy enough to ignore.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    If they want to add options for people who didn't want the features of the pack fine. But why should the people who paid for the advertised features have to jump through hoops to get the intended gameplay? Instead of weakening the abductions or breakins or whatever, why not strengthen the garlic or something?
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    If it were up to me, I'd just add configurable abduction rates via the satellite object, or something like that. If it were not possible I would just make the light investigation cancellable and then increase the default abduction frequency to be higher.

I agree that alien abductions don't happen frequently enough for those who want them (I'm almost 2,000 hours in and have maybe had 3 abductions, one of which I tried really hard to get), but I do think the entire situation needs to be evaluated separately from vampires. One reason is because arguments like this:
    If they want to add options for people who didn't want the features of the pack fine. But why should the people who paid for the advertised features have to jump through hoops to get the intended gameplay?

Don't really work as well for aliens as they do for vampires, considering vampires were the main attraction of their pack while aliens were just a minor (and to be honest, rather left-field) side focus in theirs. Also, the consequence of a vampire break in (losing a night of sleep?) is really minor in comparison to that of an alien abduction (at least, potentially).
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    When comparing Vampires to Aliens, I think the solution should remain different for each. In the case of Vampires, the default behavior should go to the break-ins and autonomous biting because the entire focus of the pack is the vampires themselves. That was the point of offering them completely separate from an expansion. For many people, one of the deciding factors in purchasing the pack was that vampires had appropriate autonomous behavior resembling that of the monsters of lore. That should never be taken away. But it would certainly make sense for a "vampire ward" lot trait to be added to the game, or a buff to some garlic items for the purpose of prevention, or some equal, subtle, optional way to keep vampires from a lot.

Aliens however, are trickier because they came included in an entire Expansion Pack. Therefore, the devs have to be careful to balance the frequency of abductions and impregnation chances in a way that keeps both types of players, for the most part, satisfied. In this case, it would make more sense to have a new object that greatly increases the chances, or a lot trait that encourages abductions. But the recent re-tuning that was done seems to have brought back the abductions for us without going over the top, so I think it sits in a good place.

This is why I'm mainly in favor of supernaturals being created separately in Game Packs. Not only for the depth that they offer, but also so that the developers can go wild with them without having to worry about it being too invasive with "realistic" players. Of course, for those who stand in the middle, or who vary their saves, this can get complicated, so again, I feel that prevention should be an addon and included in a focused pack.
    #Team Occult
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Aliens were a major reason I bought Get To Work and they are in all my saves except one. Haven't played this one long enough to get one:) That nerf irritated me also. I had a whole scenario based on a story named A Horse From A Different Sea planned and they nerfed aliens before I even got started. What about potted plant or statue to tell the game to leave this house alone? That would keep each lot individually safe but let random happenings stay random in other lots.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    Aliens were a major reason I bought Get To Work and they are in all my saves except one. Haven't played this one long enough to get one:) That nerf irritated me also. I had a whole scenario based on a story named A Horse From A Different Sea planned and they nerfed aliens before I even got started. What about potted plant or statue to tell the game to leave this house alone? That would keep each lot individually safe but let random happenings stay random in other lots.

I approve of this idea. It wouldn't take away from any build and wouldn't waste a lot trait and could potentially be customized via a regular circle menu for Aliens, Vampires, (insert other supernaturals or robbers or stray pets or whatever here).
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
    Or a tick box. I swear either gurus or the engine is allergic to them for some reason.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I wouldn't want a lot trait that enables alien abductions.
    I'd only be okay with a lot trait that disables alien abductions. Let's call the lot trait "Cosmic Shield" that prevents alien abductions.
    a256aFi.gif
  • MirithilRoseMirithilRose Posts: 12 New Member
    What I would like is a drop down menu that gives you the options: often, occasionally and not at all. Everyone will have a fair choice then.
  • JaysimsJaysims Posts: 209 Member

YES!

Because not everyone wants their sims to be randomly abducted or bitten by vamps at night.

I don’t see why they can’t implement an option that says “Enable Alien Abductions ON/OFF” or “Enable Vampire Break In’s ON/OFF” :|
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member

Yeah.

I still don't understand why they made vampires able to break in to begin with. it should have been the old "you have to initially invite them in one time. and they have power to break in whenever.

or

The power to lure sims out of the house, making them sleep walk over to the vampire.

What ever, I just made my own vampire, cheated his powers so he had so many strengths and no weaknesses, but break-ins is something he can't do.

but you're right the sim who delves into the Lore of a life state, brings on the life state onto the household.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    I miss the random possibility of my sims getting abducted. It hasn't happened in my game in years. At the beginning it hapenned way to often and now, it just never happens.
    I would love if there was as some suggested an option on the gameplay menu where the player could choose if they want this things to happen and also how often. For example, you could choose between: Never, Rarely, Often.
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I had a Sim abducted just a couple days ago - he was not a scientist, but he did have the telescope (he was not using it at the time). There is no way to cancel the action; I was just thankful that he did not return pregnant and cheated to get the satellite dish to prevent future abductions. It would be nice, though, if I could toggle abduction off altogether - I have to remember to have one of my Sims activate the shield every day, which is a bit annoying.
    I just want things to match. :'(