Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

JessaBeans' Sims 3

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    The design and layout of Lagom is very nice! :) It is great that there are three homes on the one lot! The hedged flowers, plants and sunflowers nook are in the front looks very nice. Very nice furnishing of the bed areas in the three homes. The study desk nook under the bunk bed look great! The bookcases are a nice touch beside the beds . Very nice design of the harvestable garden and orchard! It looks great! The pool patio is very nice for sims to enjoy swiimming , relaxing in the hot tun or sit chatting around the firepit chatting and keeping warm.
    The build is very nice! :)
  • JessabeansJessabeans Posts: 3,714 Member
    edited April 2018
    Ohhh, I see. So it's really one lot, but you sectioned it off. Ok, that makes more sense. :)

Actually, because Sims can now own multiple lots (I think that came with... showtime?), it's possible to have three separate lots for your family, and have different members live on the different lots. Useful if you want to have multiple generations and have them live in different homes, yet keep them all in the active family. (I've never done that, simply because I've never gotten far enough in a family for the second gen to move out and get married.)

I think it came with Island Paradise but was patched into the base game the way the new foundation types and ladders were? It's been a while so I'm not sure either. I love that option, I usually buy lots I'm building on as a second home so I don't have to boot my tester sim out when I save it to the library, she defaults back to her main house and just has to rebuy it.

Honestly, I usually only play a single sim living by herself or with a few horses. I've occasionally played a family with one child so I don't have much use for a generational home myself. With the mini houses I was thinking more along the line of a group of YAs living together that weren't related and wanted their own spaces, or just setting the two homes not in use as townie npcs apartments and be able to live on a tiny lot with more private outdoor space. I'm not sure really the best use for it, I was mostly just building it for fun to try out the idea, and sharing it in case anyone could find a use for it.
    Post edited by Jessabeans on
    Thank you @Rosemow :)
  • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
    Repository looks great! I love the idea of a re-purposed train station concept :D

Good job :)

edited April 2018
    Project Third Place

I'm starting a new project, based on ideas from the study and writings of American urban sociologist Ray Oldenburg.

Oldenburg calls one's "first place" the home and those that one lives with. The "second place" is the workplace — where people may actually spend most of their time. Third places, then, are "anchors" of community life and facilitate and foster broader, more creative interaction.

His criteria for a true "third place" are;
      [*] Free or inexpensive
      [*] Food and drink, while not essential, are important
      [*] Highly accessible: proximate for many (walking distance)
      [*] Involve regulars – those who habitually congregate there
      [*] Welcoming and comfortable
      [*] Both new friends and old should be found there

Further summary
      Other scholars have summarized Oldenburg view of a third place with a similar eight characteristics:

Neutral ground
      Occupants of third places have little to no obligation to be there. They are not tied down to the area financially, politically, legally, or otherwise and are free to come and go as they please.

Leveler (a leveling place)
      Third places put no importance on an individual's status in a society. Someone's economic or social status do not matter in a third place, allowing for a sense of commonality among its occupants. There are no prerequisites or requirements that would prevent acceptance or participation in the third place.

Conversation is main activity
      Playful and happy conversation is the main focus of activity in third places, although it is not required to be the only activity. The tone of conversation is usually light hearted and humorous; wit and good natured playfulness are highly valued.

Accessibility and accommodation
      Third places must be open and readily accessible to those who occupy them. They must also be accommodating, meaning they provide the wants of their inhabitants, and all occupants feel their needs have been fulfilled.

The regulars
      Third places harbor a number of regulars that help give the space its tone, and help set the mood and characteristics of the area. Regulars to third places also attract newcomers, and are there to help someone new to the space feel welcome and accommodated.

A low profile
      Third places are characteristically wholesome. The inside of a third place is without extravagance or grandiosity, and has a homely feel. Third places are never snobby or pretentious, and are accepting of all types of individuals, from several different walks of life.

The mood is playful
      The tone of conversation in third places are never marked with tension or hostility. Instead, they have a playful nature, where witty conversation and frivolous banter are not only common, but highly valued.

A home away from home
      Occupants of third places will often have the same feelings of warmth, possession, and belonging as they would in their own homes. They feel a piece of themselves is rooted in the space, and gain spiritual regeneration by spending time there.

It's my goal with the project is to create at least one good 'Third Place' community lot themed for each EA world. EA has done most of the work already with the lot type system lending itself to being good third places. I was going over the list and couldn't really find one (that wasn't a rabbithole lot type) that couldn't work as a third place.

I'm adding additional sim-specific criteria:
      • Appropriate Skill objects available
      • A place to refresh all needs so the sim can stay as long as they want (namely a way to refresh energy and a discrete way to refresh hygiene.)
      • If suitable for the lot type/theme, a place to host hallmark events (Weddings, Birthdays, Graduations, Funerals)
      • An indoor option for inclement weather

Pardon my mess, I'm still hashing out the idea and I may edit this post later.

I wholly welcome suggestions and feedback, but more-so would like to encourage you to try your hand at it if you are a builder. If you can think of a great third place made by a simmer leave me a link to it if you don't mind, I would love to see it in action. I don't like to create new threads but I was thinking of starting this as it's own thread in the builders forum if anyone else is interested in the project. I'm putting it here for now to sort of bookmark the idea.

The first lot I want to try out is for the university world, I've wanted to make either a retreat to spend the last weekend after graduation or a dining hall for ages so I will try to build either of those using the Third Place criteria. I'm finishing up my buddy gifts but this is the next lot I will be working on.

Other notes,

I think it would be interesting to take it a step farther and include starter homes or low cost apartments within walking distance of the Third Place lots to truly go along with the criteria.

Repository looks great! I love the idea of a re-purposed train station concept :D

Good job :)

Thanks Hollowness :)
      It was great reading about your Project Third Place :) It was so very interesting and informative ! I wil look forward to seeing the Third place builds that you design for each of the worlds. The criteria of the lots will make them a great place for sims to enjoy visiting.
      edited April 2018
      The Commons a University Dining Hall and Bookshop (University Hangout)
      60x40 replaces the bookstore at 715 Presidents Drive
      https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9210632

A comfortable spot to eat, relax, study and socialize between classes. (Buffet style dining with vegetarian and supernatural food options available) No CC, CAP or Store Content Used

tumblr_p7imv13XNo1x95scjo3_r3_1280.jpg
      I tried to keep the same University match theme building style and exterior that I used in my other Uni makeovers.
      tumblr_p7imv13XNo1x95scjo4_r1_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p7imv13XNo1x95scjo7_r1_1280.jpg

If you are looking for University lots, my others are Café La Ruche (20x20 java hut that replaces the group science project on campus), Malan Hall Makeover, Student Union, Howard Memorial Library Makeover, Pizza Shop, Or SimBurger interior addition if you prefer the look of Simburger. and Science Center with the science project indoors, I originally had it placed where the dining hall is now, so I may redo it. Off Campus Art Student Housing (pictures here) And I recently finished a Rebel Hangout. I built a sorority just to improve the parties from all the the party invites, but I never had my sim live there so I haven't play-tested it enough to upload it. If anyone is interested in it, I could get it ready to upload.
      Interior
      tumblr_p7imv13XNo1x95scjo5_r2_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p7imv13XNo1x95scjo6_r2_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p7hl71AEJD1x95scjo9_r1_1280.jpg
      Study Lounge
      tumblr_p7hl71AEJD1x95scjo4_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p7hl71AEJD1x95scjo5_1280.jpg
      Sculpture Garden
      tumblr_p7imv13XNo1x95scjo1_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p7imv13XNo1x95scjo2_1280.jpg
      I decided to remove the garden plants so I was able to keep the skating rink.

Bookshop
      tumblr_p7hz9mR9JA1x95scjo1_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p7hz9mR9JA1x95scjo4_1280.jpg
      Upstairs Study Area
      tumblr_p7hz9mR9JA1x95scjo3_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p7hz9mR9JA1x95scjo2_1280.jpg

Notes:

I left the back area of the bookshop blank for street art because I noticed the previous bookshop rabbithole had a lot of spots for street art. It may look strange without it, so have your sims paint something or add more windows in to your taste.

To Edit University World lots, go to edit town from your main screen, switch to the university world in the top corner, type testingcheatsenabled true in the cheat box, and then enablelotlocking on to click the lock icon to remove the existing lot.
      The University Dining Hall is very nice! :) Very nice exterior of the venue and the dome type windows used looks very nice. Very nice layout and furnishing of the interior! It looks very nice how the dining tables and chairs have been set up there, on either sides of the middle food section. The design of the middle section with the buffet tables, dishwashers, sinks and bins looks great! The wall pabelling gives a very nice look to the Hall. Very nice furnishing of the study lounge. The bookcases look great placed either sides of the fireplace. It is nice that there are comfortable sofa seating for sims to enjoy resting on and reading books, with the fire to keep the room warm. The books are nice touches on the stools. Very nice garden area! The design of the chess garden area is very creative! The large chess pieces and the tiled grassy lawn look great! Sims will have fun playing chess there, outdoors in the air. The sculptures are a great touch there, Very nice Community garden area ! The rows of plants and trees look very nice. Very nice bbq area for cooking on the grill and eating the food in the sunshine at the picnic table.
      Very nice furnishing of the bookstore ! The walls of bookcases in the upper level study area gives a great look to the room! It looks very nice how the computer study cubicles has been set up. Very nice sofa seats sitting and reading area,
      The builds look very great ! :)
      Thank you Rosemow :)
      rosemow wrote: »
      It was great reading about your Project Third Place :) It was so very interesting and informative ! I wil look forward to seeing the Third place builds that you design for each of the worlds. The criteria of the lots will make them a great place for sims to enjoy visiting.

Thank you Rosemow, it is a really interesting subject. I started following the redevelopment of malls into more useful spaces a while back and thought the idea of urban planning to serve and foster communities is such a great idea and it would be easy to experiment within the sims. I think it will lead to some nice spaces for sims to visit too.
    • HollownessDevourHollownessDevour Posts: 8,011 Member
      Nice! I love the lawn chessboard! The build ties perfectly with the university world too :D
      Thank you Hollow :)
    • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
      Your university hangout looks great and so realistic looking, and I love that chess area you made outside, very creative. Great lot! Off to rec.
    • soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,260 Member

Well done on your university hangout @Jessabeans ! My two fav areas are the seating lounge and the seating nook but it all looks great. Rec'd :smiley:
      edited April 2018
      Thank you Sandraelle and Soocoolsim I appreciate it. :)

I am participating in the gift exchange over in the GG forum.

tumblr_p7ry19P2251x95scjo1_1280.jpg

My latest upload Sunrise Farm is over there.

I'll be uploading more over there for the next few days. I hope that you'll stop by and see all the wonderful gifts created by people participating in the gift exchange. The gifts begin on page 11, and AD has them linked on the first page as well.
      Sunrise Farm is such a very homely and nice warming home! :) It is a very special gift for your gift giving buddy! The exterior design and layout of the home and farm build is very nice! The playhouse for the kids is very special! It is great that there is a barn to store the tractor, and the loft workspace area in the barn is very nice! It is very nice that there is a greenhouse for sims to enjoy growing and harvesting plants there all through the year. Very nice homely and country style furnishing of the interior of the home.
      It is a very nice farm themed home :)

So cool you're participating in the GG exchange. I used to enjoy doing that. Your Sunrise Farm is simply darling. Heading off to rec :smiley:
    • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
      What a Cute farm! I've rec'd and downloaded it! Going to check it out in game tonite!
      Thank you very much Rosemow, Soocoolsim and Romagi. I appreciate it.

The gift exchange was really fun to participate in.
      tumblr_p87ynaRfSP1x95scjo1_1280.jpg

20x30 Java Hut - Sprockets

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9213876

A small googie/retro diner themed java hut & arcade for Lucky Palms. Arcade machines, Bistro bar, reading nook, restrooms, and outdoor seating with coffee/herb garden.

tumblr_p87ynaRfSP1x95scjo4_r1_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p87ynaRfSP1x95scjo2_r1_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p87ynaRfSP1x95scjo5_r1_1280.jpg
      tumblr_p87ynaRfSP1x95scjo3_r1_1280.jpg

Store Items Used: along with the 5 items it shows, it also uses 'Dave's Planter Bowl' and the 'Bistro Umbrella' from the Stones Throw Greenhouse Venue, and items from the Lucky Palms world.
      Sprockets is a very nice diner venue for sims to enjoy visiting for a meal, drink and to play games! :) The slanted roofing looks very nice, and the type of fencing used suits the world location well. It is nice that there are outside umbrella covered tables dining areas also. The circles wall pattern on the wall areas behind the food/drink bar and the black and white chequered flooring gives a great look to the venue. Sims will have fun playing arcade machine games there. It is a great touch that there is gumdrop machine in the corner nook. Sims will enjoy listening to juke box music whilst dining. Very nice retro patterned armchairs sitting nook for sims to rest and chat with friends or read a book.
      It is a very nice retro java hut diner :)
    • romagi1romagi1 Posts: 6,988 Member
      Very retro and looks perfect for LP. Will fit right in with the gas station lot.
    • SandraelleSandraelle Posts: 6,146 Member
      @Jessabeans , great looking retro diner! Love all the bright colors.