Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unpopular Pack Opinions

This discussion spans across all games, but I'll start off with mine. Be respectful with your comments and do not seek to defame/intimidate other commentators.
  • My favorite stuff pack is the Katy Perry Sweet Treats pack. Is it a cash grab pack? Eh, probably, but I like many of the meshes included in the pack and will enjoy editing said meshes (my favorite being the dress that looks like Jessica Rabbit's from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.)
  • I actually really liked The Sims 3 Store, as it had regularly updated content with fashion and build/buy objects from many backgrounds, from 1950s America to Indian, I really liked it all. You were able to pick and choose what you wanted out of the sets rather than be forced to buy a whole Expansion/Stuff pack.
  • My least favorite feature in The Sims as a whole are parties. I don't want invitations to your Keg Party, go away, and get off my lawn you whippersnappers!
  • Weather effects should always be basegame. Why should we pay for something that was initially going to be released in The Sims 2 before the whole office fire thing happened? I understand at the time, it might have been difficult to implement after that accident, but for The Sims 3/4? Nuh-uh. Ain't gonna cut it.

giphy.gif

Comments

• TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I like parties. Thats all ive got! But I like to throw my own.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    The office fire is a supposed myth with no real source. Multiple gurus who worked on Sims 2 said they never heard of any fire causing them to start over.

That being said; basic rain would be welcome in the base game with seasons expanding with snow and thunderstorms etc
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    I'll join too!

I see a lot of people who like City Living but I think it's one of the worst EPs ever in the history of The Sims cause it features 20% new content, 20% reuse of base game content and 60% set dressing, not to mention that every 'new' feature it has is MUCH more limited than in previous games and there's no new creative feature (can't create apartments or festivals of our own). At least it has nice CAS items...

I actually like Cool Kitchen Stuff despite not having as much Kitchen objects than having CAS stuff.

I think the wishing well from Romantic Garden Stuff is one of the best objects we've got since it can actually cause some mischief.

I really like Spa Day despite seeing other people rating it their least favorite GP. It also came out on my birthday so...

I can't think of other stuff right now... I need to go over previous games to remember what was my unpopular opinions about packs then...
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member
    Outdoor retreat is one of my favorite packs, because of the portable tents, beds, showers, coolers, and firepits in which you can cook the fish you catch. It is so good to camp anywhere in the world(s), for exploration purposes, story purposes, for a rags to riches challenge, or simply to camp while all the plants spawn. I also love the tell a ghost story feature. My only complaint about this pack is that the pee bushes had to come with get together and are only in Windenburgh and Selvadorada... But I least they are there eventually. Going to a public lot to use the toilets while you are supposed to be lost in the wild does ruin the atmosphere.

Another unpopular opinion: the "gameplay" features of most expansion packs so far (except C&D) are completely useless or restricted and wasn't it for the new worlds, I wouldn't even have bothered buying them. Game packs are much better imo.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Katy Perry, eh?! That was the only pack I never purchased, but then my son bought it me for Christmas one year - bless him!

My regular favourite aspect has got to be seasons, whichever instalment we are talking about, and I do not mind paying extra for it as it usually incorporates other things too. I was also a fan of the Sims 3 store - such excitement on the forums when we were waiting for something new to come out! And they brought out a lot of awesome stuff that way.

I've never been particularly fond of apartments/city living style packs, but that's just me. It's not my thing. Same goes for uni/educational stuff.

I was enthralled with the Island Paradise EP and that has got to be my all-time favourite new addition to any series. The water sports, boating, living on a house boat and sailing around in it, all that stuff was amazing.

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I think these are my top three unpopular opinions:

- I'd like to have a store for Sims 4, as I think it's better to buy a handful items I really want for four euro, than a full SP with stuff I don't really want for ten. I may have bought the individual items slightly more expensive than they would have been in the package deal, but that's six bucks more to go for groceries (or to save up for other games).

- Of the four main sims games Sims 3 is my least favourite, for a variety of reasons, but mainly open world and travel times. They don't mesh well with my playstyle.

- I don't like it when sims have feelings, including most moodlets. I wish Sims 5 would simuate the environment with naturally growing hair, accidents, diseases, allergies, weather and other physical obstacles to overcome and leave it to me to imagine what my characters are thinking about all of this.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    I agree with the OP in all points.
  • baddazonerbaddazoner Posts: 573 Member
    Kurotard wrote: »
    [*] Weather effects should always be basegame. Why should we pay for something that was initially going to be released in The Sims 2 before the whole office fire thing happened? I understand at the time, it might have been difficult to implement after that accident, but for The Sims 3/4? Nuh-uh. Ain't gonna cut it.
    [/list]

it should be but EA quickly realised besides pets it's the most wanted thing in game and they can get people to pay for it each and every sims game.

• invisiblgirlinvisiblgirl Posts: 1,709 Member
    I like My First Pet, Laundry, Spa and Outdoor Retreat and I'm not the least bit interested in Get Together or Vampires. I wanted a small pet for my Sims *without* C&D, laundry gives my Sims a new daily chore, and I just wish my Sims had more time to visit Granite Falls (they're always raising kids who have to be in school).

Spa Day is the pack I'd have willingly paid my right arm to buy (fortunately, Origin only wanted a few fingers and toes for it) - I love the yoga; it's pretty much replaced all the fitness equipment in my game (unless I have an 'active' Sim). The ability to teleport is pretty much essential if you're trying to find plants or collectibles, and the superfood salad is perfect for maintaining healthy Sim weights. I also like the furniture, decorative objects and build-mode items and use stuff from this pack in every house.
    I just want things to match. :'(
  • kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member
    My favorite pack for TS4 is probably Dine Out. I don't know why, but I love it so much!

My least favorite is probably Get to Work. The careers tend to get old pretty quickly.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Unpopular pack opinions hmmm

I love OR in Sims 4. It's laid back and you just kind of do whatever you want your sim to do. You can follow the aspiration too of course or multiple others.

I really like the Luxury Party Pack in Sims 4 even though it's raked over the coals here. I don't like the clothes much but like the womens shoes, hairstyles overall. I love the buffet tables and the ability to put multiple food plates or other objects on them. That is probably my favorite object that is used often especially the mod looking one in my science labs. I like all the new recipes also. I do have to separate the build buy though to me it's not cohesive but can be used separately in the game well.

I love the bowling pack in Sims 4 also. I can't get enough rockabilly retro in my game. I love the mid century look although there is not enough of it to really fill an apartment it's a good start when paired with other items in build buy. I even like to send my sims bowling ;).

Get To Work for some reason seems to get a lot of hate but I wish we would get another pack just like it with new career options. I've spent a crazy amount of hours playing a mad scientist. I do play and enjoy the other careers but not as much as the scientist. It has baking which warms up the feel in a sim home and although I don't run retail stores I love the ability to plop them down in my worlds and have my sims go shopping .. especially for things that are no longer available or ingredients/collectibles I don't want to hunt for. It's just very useful to feel .. engaged for me when I don't want my sim to do the grunt work.
    egTcBMc.png
  • ItsJanierItsJanier Posts: 884 Member
    Unpopular opinion but Toddler SP is useless.
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    Toddler Stuff pack is very useful. Unless you dont mind your toddlers not having stuff to do, the new slide and ball pit gives them activities . And theres also new hair and clothing, and I dont want all my toddlers wearing the same hairstyle or outfit , so thats nice. And I LOVE the buy mode stuff because I made my own daycare/toddler park with it :)<3o:)
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    I love Outdoor Retreat and Spa Day.

I love City Living.

I love Bowling Stuff and Movie Hangout Stuff.

I don't want a university pack.

I don't mind that we didn't get horses in C&D.

I want mermaids more than werewolves.
  • Classy2018Classy2018 Posts: 10 New Member
    I totally concur with what the Op wrote
  • TerraTerra Posts: 1,353 Member
    Oh, here's another one - I LOVE what gets denigrated as "set dressing". I'm a storyteller - I love beautiful and interesting environments in which to set my stories!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2018
    Mine!

Sims 3 Generations was meh when it wasn't annoying. Sims 4 Parenthood is 100 millionty times better.

Sims 4 Luxury Party is awesome! I use the shmancy sparkly clothes all the time, and a lot of the makeup for Aliens in particular.

Sims 4 Get to Work is 100% worth it for the Aliens alone. Best Sims Aliens ever. The rest doesn't matter.

Not interested at all in a University pack given how quickly I was bored with Sims 2 and 3 university packs. I'd way rather have active school for kids and teens than another university pack any day.

I want Sims 4 Farming but wouldn't complain at all if it had no horses, and I'm much happier with Sims 4 Pets without the horses. I want tractors and crop farming and sheep and cows and chickens and goats, and I don't want to sacrifice interesting chickens and sheep and horses and crop farming for horseback riding.

I don't have an issue with the Hamster pack.

I don't mind if ocean swimming is restricted to a seaside/tropical world because just swimming is boring anyway. Unless I can dive, snorkel, and/or surf, I'd rather just go in a pool with a swim-up bar. Or lie under a palm tree until a coconut falls on me. Just swimming wouldn't make a Beach Holiday pack worth it for me.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • drakharisdrakharis Posts: 1,478 Member
    I loved in Sims 3 that we could have several outfits for each category of clothes. I don't like parties for my Sims and never throw them. I have them elope instead of getting married in front of everyone they know. I don't like that in Sims 4 we lost the ability to customise clothes that were created by the developers or the ability to change material on the build and buy items or the colour wheel for our Sims skin and hair colour. I don't like that we lost round and oval pools in Sims 4. I don't like that there a pack for toddlers. Sorry I usually don't have my Sims have kids. I dislike that we can't play an orphaned child and that the youngest we can have our Sims in a single person household is a teen I really would love to see a kid who lost their family try to make it and have them gain responsibility for managing to survive on their own without a teen or adult there. I understand that EA probably does not want to offend anybody with orphaned Sims. I think it would lead to some interesting gameplay. I don't like that in CAS for Sims 4 you can't have your first Sim be an alien or Vampire. Instead, you have to create a second Sim and delete the First Sim or use a cheat code or mod to turn the Sim in a 1 person household to an alien or Vampire. I usually create an elder Sim in the household then a Vampire and command the elder Sim to die of old age. I don't like playing large households. No offence to those of you with 6 or more Sims in a household but would love the option for those who enjoy larger households to have an option of 12 or more in their household. I prefer something no larger than 3 or 4 Sims.
    Playtesting - not just tabletop games and card games any more. Really that should have been playtested in Beta and not [img]just with accounting and marketing but actual players. https://i.imgur.com/t48COW6.jpg[/img]
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    drakharis wrote: »
    I loved in Sims 3 that we could have several outfits for each category of clothes.

You can do this in Sims 4 - up to five of them each, and they rotate on their own.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I quite enjoy what MFP offers. It's the first pack that got me interested in deviant play, as odd as that may sound. When I found out vampires can die from the rodent illness and end up in the hamster suit as a ghost, I was all in, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Mine is that I don’t think we need a uni pack at this point. Our sims can already be doctors, politicians and ect without an education anyway. I wouldn’t want to go back to send previous sims to school and don’t really think it would add much at this late stage in the game. Had we got it a few years ago then totally.
    It could’ve paired well with parenthood (missing the parents while they’re away) or get to work ( after uni they choose a job) but the time frame in which I would’ve wanted it had passed for me.
  • Stina1701AStina1701A Posts: 1,184 Member
    I'm probably only one, or amongst very few who could care a rat about weather and seasons, to be honest. I live in seasonal country and for me its not much to write home about. Also I have never really had a Sim game with that feature installed. Whenever a seasons or weather pack has come to whatever Sim versions I have been playing, I either didn't get it or I had stopped (for some reasons or other) playing that version of Sims when a season/weather pack came out.

As for the existing packs for Sims 4 I do have my favorites that have been a less than lauded by others and sometimes only for a specific functions a pack brings. For instance the Spa pack. To this date, none of my Sims have ever gone to a spa (not an intentional exclusion) but I did exchange the Willow gym for one of the Maxis gyms that came with that pack that has a sauna and a yoga studio that I really use a lot. The gym in Oasis gave way for the Bowling/Karioke bar. I really love the yoga and meditation feature and some of my Sims have now maxed wellness. I am planning on excanging the city gym for a more versatile gym like the one I put into Willow Creek, that has a lot of the spa day features.

Outdoor Retreat, although it can get repetative (especially for a rotational player) it's still (despite how much funner the Jungle pack is) a great place for my Sims to vacation, as long as I don't have them stay longer than 3 days. My Sims get homesick. The toddler pack is worth the outside playstuff alone to put into community parks and although I have yet to play the careers that came with Get to Work, I do love the aliens. The romantic garden pack gave the Willow Creek park much needed facelift and the newest stuff pack sold me on the hamster illness/death. AWESOME!

The bowling pack did disapoint me greatly, especially as I was really really looking forward to get it but when I found out that the Sims can not even talk to each other while playing or do any socialization its a big let down.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    I see a lot of hate for My First Pet Stuff Pack and Toddler Stuff. I love both. I actually like dressing up the pets and the outfits in MFP are super cute. I also think the idea of matching clothes with the pets is super cute, even though it's something I'd probably laugh at irl. As for toddlers, I really, really, really am not a fan of the base game CAS options. I think I literally only use the pajamas and certain accessories like the hats. I don't think I have a single toddler wearing any of those outfits; literally none of them appeal to me. Toddler stuff's CAS is what toddlers needed and I am so pleased with the added hair and especially the clothes.

I don't like Vampires at all. I'm not a fan of "supernatual" Sims in general and vampires are especially annoying in how they can attack your sims and just ruin all of their needs. It's annoying to have to lock doors just to keep them away. Thankfully I don't have the pack anymore, because I don't want to have to deal with that ever again.
  • HopeyStarrHopeyStarr Posts: 1,276 Member
    I love Luxury Party for the CAS/Buy mode items. I've seen some of the stuff refered to as tacky here, which is fine. I've got a couple tacky sims making full use of the clothing.

City Living brought me great joy when I first got it. Nowadays I find I've had my fill of the city though every now and then I'll get an itching to send my sims there.

I want a preteen life stage in TS4 mostly for a height difference between the current teens and children. It'd be cool if preteens could experience things like first crushes too.
    R5PO75w.gif?1
    *:.。."It's great being ((Queen Bee))!".。.:*
    ★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★・・・・・・★
    ✧ :-"As long as I continue to believe then one day my ((dreams)) really will come true."✧ :-
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    "Pets" expansions are usually low on my list of favorite EPs. I love animals IRL but I can live without them in my game.

Dine Out is my runner up for least-favorite GP because of the sheer amount of bugs I've had on the business aspect of running a restaurant. I don't think it was worth $20.

I thought Generations was a great expansion. I always install it when I reinstall TS3.

I don't want a new vacation GP/EP for TS4. I get bored of those easily.

I love the plantsims from Seasons (TS2) and University Life (TS3). I wish they'd make a real return in TS4, but I don't think it'll happen.