Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

**TS3* Build-n-Share Challenge #236 **Empty Nest** **Due 31st March 2021**

Comments

• ElleDaesElleDaes Posts: 72 Member
    @Kesminlix I also pick more expensive cabinets/chairs/sofas etc, match them up to the cheapest version that will pass and then CASt the cheap ones to match the more expensive ones. It makes them feel less cheap and give the budget a much needed break.
  • creativemetaphorcreativemetaphor Posts: 1,543 Member
    edited April 2018
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #201 - The Hawthorne Project Part II

NAME: creativemetaphor

LINK TO LOT: not uploaded

LINK TO MEDIA: Home Away From Everything

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: included in above

LEVEL: advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: custom placed 20x25 in Riverview - Final cost 30,000

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: I had originally tried to build this in France but it caused some issues and I realized I couldn't have Julia move in there so I ended up moving it to Riverview. But that ultimately inspired my story for this build.

Julia Dubois grew up in the lush countryside of France. Her brother married and moved away to his new home with his husband, and Julia soon followed after, missing him too much and longing to be around her niece and nephews.

Coming from such an open, friendly area, being stuck in a small city apartment was torture. This little cottage is the perfect home for her. It was just like the small cottages of her home town, cozy and small but still giving so much space for her loves.

It has two bedrooms, and even though she is usually a loner, it offers space for family to visit. The living room has a fireplace, comfortable seating, and her computer. The quaint kitchen feels just like being at her grandmother's house, and the tea set for relaxing after an afternoon in the garden.

The bathroom has delightful vintage fixtures, and a storage cabinet for linens and her toiletries.

There is a full attic bonus room which offers space for her yoga and ballet practice, a little reading nook, and place for her art overlooking the countryside.

It is situated out in the country near a river, not far from her brother's house but enough to give them both ample privacy when needed and yet close enough for even the children to walk between them.

Julia Dubois herself is a family-oriented loner who is a natural cook, has a green thumb, and enjoys exploring her artistic side.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES:

exterior-1.jpg

Post edited by creativemetaphor on
    That was fast! I'm not looking at it. I'm not reading. I have my own plans and don't want get confused. Good luck, @creativemetaphor I'm joining the advanced submissions, so we'll be going head to head soon. :smiley:
    edited April 2018
    @ElleDaes :lol: I know, last month I struggled right to the end, this time I'm like DONE! Now what? :mrgreen:

Can't wait to see what you come up with! Congrats on moving up to advanced!
    Post edited by creativemetaphor on
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @ElleDaes :lol: I know, last month I struggled right to the end, this time I'm like DONE! Now what? :mrgreen:

Now you make the brother's house! :wink:

Great job on a quick turn-around. I love the jut outs both on ground level and in the attic gable. It has a great layout and very pretty exterior.
    @ciane <3 thank you! The bay windows on the front were part of the round-two design :lol:

And yes, of course! Brother's house! That is exactly what I shall do!
  • BuildnShareBuildnShare Posts: 4,061 Member
    ATTENTION ADVANCED ENTRANTS TO #BNS200

Your results are now available here.

GArBA5W.jpg
  • mederouinmederouin Posts: 67 Member
    OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM No.201:The Hawthorne Project Part II

NAME: Mederouin

LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9206983

LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/4rhsS

OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A

LEVEL: Advanced

LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 20X30; 451 Riverview Rd, Riverview; Final Cost: 30,000

LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: As is probably obvious by now I enjoy reclaimed or found architecture and so when I read the prompt and found out that Julia liked shabby chic design I thought about designing her a cottage or a mini Victorian that would complement the romantic aspects of the shabby chic, but in the end I guess I wanted something more organic and less predictable if that is the right word. So I built a Victorian inspired greenhouse. I tried to reason that it had been some forgotten part of a long time gone estate that had been left to the woods and had been found and converted into a cute little home. I left the front lawn a bit overgrown to enhance the sense of privicy that could be missing from living in a glass box and I wanted to leave some of the "planting benches" and the stone floors inside to give it a more old world feel like someone had wanted to preserve that which had endured for so long. Hope you enjoy.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: Yes, please

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    “As an architect you design for the present with an awareness of the past for a future which is essentially unknown”
    -Herman Foster
    @mederouin Ooh! Love that greenhouse idea, and the layered roof effect :) Very lovely.
  • AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    edited April 2018
    @BuildnShare Hello :) I am a long time lurker first time potential-ish participant. Firstly, thank you for the thread and all the interesting challenges and creativity produced <3 Secondly, hope this is an ok question on my part, I understand that no depreciation is allowed but is it within the rules to use a sim with full handiness to get a discount on build objects? And does a multitab count as a computer? Thank you

I can't wait to see everyone's builds for this month (you're all awesome!). Good luck to everyone who's still building, I'm off to memorise @creativemetaphor helpful tip list. Hopefully I'll remember that sometimes, tempting though it is to blow everything on décor, sims need things like chairs.... or a fridge :*
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    @creativemetaphor and @ElleDaes - Thanks for the tips! As a result I finally managed to build under budget! Granted, it's only like $30 under budget, but its UNDER! Yay! All I need to do now is CASt and upload! [insert happy dance]
    @Kesminlix Under is under! B) Can't wait to see the final product!
    AlphaFen wrote: »
    @BuildnShare Hello :) I am a long time lurker first time potential-ish participant. Firstly, thank you for the thread and all the interesting challenges and creativity produced <3 Secondly, hope this is an ok question on my part, I understand that no depreciation is allowed but is it within the rules to use a sim with full handiness to get a discount on build objects? And does a multitab count as a computer? Thank you

Hi, and Welcome! Sorry for the late reply. I feel like using a sim on the lot to get a discount on items would be against the spirit of a strict budget challenge like this one much the same as playing the lot for depreciation would be. As for the Multitab, as long as it has the same functionality as a computer it would be acceptable.

Let us know if you have any other questions! We hope to see an entry from you in this challenge :)

GArBA5W.jpg
    Multitab is in the computer tab in buy mode, but it doesn't give you all the options a computer would. You can skill on it; but technically, you can't play games on it or write books on it.

I just finished my version and am getting ready to play test it now. :smiley:
    ciane wrote: »
    Multitab is in the computer tab in buy mode, but it doesn't give you all the options a computer would. You can skill on it; but technically, you can't play games on it or write books on it.

Thanks for the info @ciane I had a look at the Sims 3 base computer prices HERE It looks like the lowest price actual computer is §800, so a Multitab is only a §50 savings. Since it's not really imparting an unfair advantage in the budget, we'll allow the Multitab to count as the computer requirement if you want to use it, @AlphaFen .
    ciane wrote: »
    I just finished my version and am getting ready to play test it now. :smiley:

Looking forward to seeing it! :)

GArBA5W.jpg
    edited April 2018
    I love the multi-tab as a computer choice. I just thought I'd share info about it as you seemed unfamiliar with it. It really is a great way to multi-task and learn about one thing while doing another.

Here's what I did:
    https://2sim3.wordpress.com/sc/

I'm not very excited about how the actual building looks, but I do like the rest.
    Post edited by ciane on
  • AlphaFFrogAlphaFFrog Posts: 1,250 Member
    Thank you both @ciane and @BuildnShare for your helpful replies :)
    @ciane Very cute little cottage there!

I intended to make the brother's house as a small, old style farmhouse, but accidentally ended up making a three story Victorian instead. Oops. :blush:
  • KesminlixKesminlix Posts: 252 Member
    NAME: Kesminlix
    LINK TO LOT: https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=9210380
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://imgur.com/a/mIyQ5Vn
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: N/A
    LEVEL: Beginner
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: $29,986 451 Riverview Road, Riverview 20x30
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: The Julia is a quaint little home. It is very shabby chic inspired and contains the client's favorite colors: baby blues, pinks, and creams. While it is technically a 2 bedroom home, one bedroom is decorated as an office/art studio. Meaning guests are welcome to visit, but are not allow to stay. ;) There is a large backyard so that the nieces and nephews can run around and play. While there is a small garden, there is enough room for the garden to expand (as well as the house).
    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: No
    CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: N/A
    SPACE FOR PICTURES: GkgtEA4.jpg
    3pS3SZ6.jpg
  • KgaffKgaff Posts: 1,614 Member

OFFICIAL ENTRY FORM #201 - The Hawthorne Project Part II

NAME: Kgaff
    LINK TO LOT:
    LINK TO MEDIA: https://www.flickr.com/photos/154029363@N06/albums/72157665976199427
    OPTIONAL CHALLENGE: if you entered the optional challenge, include a link here
    LEVEL: intermediate
    LOT SIZE, ADDRESS & FINAL COST: 25 x 25 Somewhere in Moonlight Falls on a lot placed by me, 29,977
    LOT DESCRIPTION & DETAILS: This is a one bedroom cottage built for Julia who loves the shabby chic decorating style. I used pink, baby blue, cream and a very light turquoise for the wall coverings and rugs and such. She has a large eat-in kitchen, a small office area with her computer, a chess table and her favorite guitar. The living room is full of mismatched, ruffled furniture with several keepsakes scattered around.

There is a starter garden and a chin-up bar for exercise and a comfy bench under the tree.

CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM: "yes" if you'd like suggestions for improvement, "no" if you'd like only positive feedback

CREDIT TO SIMMERS FOR CUSTOM CONTENT USED: n/a

SPACE FOR PICTURES: (limit 2)
    40693480775_51c6a87f31_c.jpg

27715887458_3a49219b1b_c.jpg
    Very nice @Kgaff! I like the way you did the half wall and column combination. I also like how you used that flower door. I never seem to find a good use for it.
    I'm devastated. I spent all day, on and off, on my build this weekend. But, I started noticing something odd, the value of the property kept going up even though I wasn't adding new items. It crashed. I lost everything. Hoping the save isn't corrupted now. Haven't had the courage to check.
    @elledaes Oh no! :s I hate when that happens! Do you know to check your cache files in your sims folder? I used to crash regularly until I was told to delete two of the cache files and it helped a lot.

I'm so sorry you lost all your work, that is painful. I hope you'll rebuild?

@kgaff Oh how beautiful! Such an adorable little cottage!

@Kesminlix So glad you managed to finish under budget! And with a washer and dryer too! Good job, and so cute :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top