Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Launcher Will Not Load!

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2018
    Well I emptied my trash and restated my computer and can I just say I have NEVER heard my computer this quiet in my LIFE! Normally the fan is ROARING and now the fan is gone! It is so quiet I am almost scared because right now I can not hear the fan at ALL! Is this normal for a computer? (Haha) I hadn't realized how hard my computer was working.
    Yes, it is normal for the fans to kick in only when they need to. My iMac does when I have very long browser sessions going with lots of tabs open or the room I am using it in is warm, usually it's very quiet. My MacBook Pro's fans only rarely make any noise. I do still have a test install of TS3 on the MacBook Pro, and it will sound like an airplane getting ready for takeoff if I were to actually launch the game (which I almost never do on that one, that's not even what I got that laptop for).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KyliesswartzKyliesswartz Posts: 225 Member
    edited April 2018
    igazor wrote: »
    Well I emptied my trash and restated my computer and can I just say I have NEVER heard my computer this quiet in my LIFE! Normally the fan is ROARING and now the fan is gone! It is so quiet I am almost scared because right now I can not hear the fan at ALL! Is this normal for a computer? (Haha) I hadn't realized how hard my computer was working.
    Yes, it is normal for the fans to kick in only when they need to. My iMac does when I have very long browser sessions going with lots of tabs open or the room I am using it in is warm, usually it's very quiet. My MacBook Pro's fans only rarely make any noise. I do still have a test install of TS3 on the MacBook Pro, and it will sound like an airplane getting ready for takeoff if I were to actually launch the game (which I almost never do on that one, that's not even what I got that laptop for).

Woah, then you were right TS3 was killing my computer because every time I opened (not TS3 but my) Computer the fan would sound like an airplane! It has always sounded like that because from the moment I got this computer it was for the sims so I thought my computer was acting like any other computer. Truth be told, I rarly ever used TS3 so I guess it being in the background was hard for my computer. It is nice to know that TS4 is not affecting my computer that much. I am also really happy to have over 96 GBs of space.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    To add to what igazor said, my current mac has a fan that only makes enough noise for me to notice when I've been in CAS or Edit Town and Build/Buy for a while, and that's one way I know it's time to quit to desktop and take a break. My old computer—a 2010 macbook pro—would work so hard that it actually vibrated a bit (although towards the end I suspected the disc drive as well), and I could swear it "learned" to start running the fan as soon as I launched TS3, even before I got to the Main Menu.

As to your earlier question, your games are tied to your EA/Origin account, not any particular device, so you should have no trouble downloading the game to another computer if and when you get the chance to play again. That's what I did, as I'd registered my original discs on EA's site back when I bought them. Origin didn't give me any trouble. But it's a good idea to keep your product codes or other proof of purchase safe somewhere, just in case. Plenty of people have had to argue with EA tech support about whether they do in fact own the game and/or a particular pack. Still, if you are the legitimate owner and have documentation, you should be fine.

@igazor Thanks for the explanation. I always see "that computer's not good enough" or "these are the specs for optimal performance," but rarely anything in between unless someone asks about a specific model. And yes, EA messed things up for mac users in more ways than we can count. But I still wonder if High Sierra was the inciting factor in this case, as the OP might have updated since last playing TS3 about 3 months ago. The refusal to launch at all and the blank uninstaller page make me suspicious. Or perhaps High Sierra was more like the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. In any case, I will happily be rid of the TS3-for-mac headache soon enough.
    edited April 2018
    To add to what igazor said, my current mac has a fan that only makes enough noise for me to notice when I've been in CAS or Edit Town and Build/Buy for a while, and that's one way I know it's time to quit to desktop and take a break. My old computer—a 2010 macbook pro—would work so hard that it actually vibrated a bit (although towards the end I suspected the disc drive as well), and I could swear it "learned" to start running the fan as soon as I launched TS3, even before I got to the Main Menu.

As to your earlier question, your games are tied to your EA/Origin account, not any particular device, so you should have no trouble downloading the game to another computer if and when you get the chance to play again. That's what I did, as I'd registered my original discs on EA's site back when I bought them. Origin didn't give me any trouble. But it's a good idea to keep your product codes or other proof of purchase safe somewhere, just in case. Plenty of people have had to argue with EA tech support about whether they do in fact own the game and/or a particular pack. Still, if you are the legitimate owner and have documentation, you should be fine.

@igazor Thanks for the explanation. I always see "that computer's not good enough" or "these are the specs for optimal performance," but rarely anything in between unless someone asks about a specific model. And yes, EA messed things up for mac users in more ways than we can count. But I still wonder if High Sierra was the inciting factor in this case, as the OP might have updated since last playing TS3 about 3 months ago. The refusal to launch at all and the blank uninstaller page make me suspicious. Or perhaps High Sierra was more like the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. In any case, I will happily be rid of the TS3-for-mac headache soon enough.

Right now I have a soft fan because I have TS4 open, but it is not as loud as usual. That is crazy that your computer started to vibrate, that is not good! I have noticed when I play for a long time the fan gets louder, why do you think I should take a break? (I am not trying to sound annoyed, I just want to know if there are any risks if I don't take a break.)
    @Kyliesswartz If the fan has to keep working harder and harder, I start to think that maybe it's not keeping up with the demands I'm putting on it, and the computer may soon be hotter than is safe. If you look at your specs (the advanced ones on apple's website), listed under "Electrical and Operating Requirements" is the maximum recommended operating temperature. That of course doesn't mean that anything above is going to melt your computer, just that there is a point above which high temperatures can indeed start to damage the hardware. This is less likely on macs than PCs as (according to BluebellFlora, who wrote the uninstalling guides that igazor linked to earlier) mac OS has some built-in protective mechanisms, but in theory you could end up burning out your graphics card and even doing irreparable damage to the motherboard. This has actually happened to PC users who don't cap their fps rates while playing TS3, although newer games (like hopefully TS4, but I don't actually know) usually have their own built-in fps limiters.

(Side note: I found out about mac OS's better methods of self-protection when I asked whether I should be doing anything to cap fps, and BluebellFlora's answer was no, but make sure not to let your computer overheat.)

Still, if you hear your fan on overdrive, you might consider quitting the game for a while. Your computer is made of many distinct physical components, after all, and some of them are going to be sensitive to temperature. This is one reason igazor said that playing TS3 could significantly shorten your computer's lifespan; even if you don't melt its insides, the stress of consistent high temperatures will take its toll.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    To be very honest if you're going to play TS3 on a Mac, don't play on a laptop. Play on a Desktop Mac which is what I have. Sims 3 is very graphic intensive which is what causes the fan to run. Newer graphics cards aren't supported, but most of the problems with the game have been with the laptop versions. There is also the method of playing with Bootcamp.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    edited April 2018
    To clarify a few things:
    1. Origin is only needed to download Sims 3 content. The installer is independent of Origin and Origin is never needed to actually play the game like it is in Windows.
    2. The Intel HD 6000 is not a supported graphics chip so you will most likely need to edit the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files to have any kind of a reasonable gaming experience.
    3. macOS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion and later are not supported operating systems in the game. The last patch was released in January 2014. El Capitan was when everything really started to go horribly wrong for Sims 3.
    4. Late Night, Ambitions, Fast Lane and Outdoor Living do not install properly, you must manually move the game files into the right location.
    5. Late Night, Ambitions, Fast Lane and Outdoor Living are a mess in general and also need the Unknown Error fix.
    6. iMacs use the same mobile hardware as MacBook Pros, just slightly more powerful versions. Everything is still wired onto the logic board, unlike a proper desktop which has interchangeable parts.
    7. Always elevate a Mac notebook when playing, the casing is designed to dissipate heat. Enveloping it in a nice warm snuggly blanket is going to kill it.
    8. Cider was the root of all evil. Transgaming, the company who developed Cider, are now a real estate financing company. Guess they realised that software development wasn't for them.
    apple-signature.png
    edited April 2018
    (bewildered look) Who was that masked woman who just stormed through? :o

Nice to see that you're still keeping tabs on us @BluebellFlora, so we don't get into too much trouble back here. :p
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I don't know whether to feel privileged that @BluebellFlora has graced us with her presence, or chagrined that now we can't get away with pretending that she's just a myth we made up to give our suggestions the veneer of authority. Take care of your macbook, little gamers, because BluebellFlora is watching, and you wouldn't want to let her down, would you?
    To clarify a few things:
    Cider was the root of all evil. Transgaming, the company who developed Cider, are now a real estate financing company. Guess they realised that software development wasn't for them.
    Really? That's hilarious! I guess they got tired of scamming selling a product (albeit indirectly) to people who'd occasionally realize how worthless it was, and decided to move on to a business where they could wipe their fingerprints from their shenanigans long before things went south and they'd possibly end up on the hook for their callous disregard of their customers.
    iMacs use the same mobile hardware as MacBook Pros, just slightly more powerful versions. Everything is still wired onto the logic board, unlike a proper desktop which has interchangeable parts.
    I didn't know that, but it makes sense. Why would you want to switch out the parts on your imac? It's exactly what you should want in a computer, whether you understand that or not. Every Apple product is unimpeachable perfection, and if you disagree for some inexplicable reason, the problem isn't your computer, it's you. Now run along and buy the newest iphone like a good little sheep, we can see that you haven't upgraded yet, and we've been waiting for you. We're not mad, we're just disappointed.
    Ha ha, I do dip in sometimes just to see if miracles have happened. For some reason I still live in hope :) And you know that you're always welcome to come and help me at AHQ.....

Re Cider, they sold the technology to NVIDIA before deciding to completely change their business. No idea what NVIDIA have done with it now, binned it hopefully.

Yep, I am an absolute sheep. You should see my HomePod though, it's beautiful :D
    apple-signature.png
    To clarify a few things:
    1. Origin is only needed to download Sims 3 content. The installer is independent of Origin and Origin is never needed to actually play the game like it is in Windows.
    2. The Intel HD 6000 is not a supported graphics chip so you will most likely need to edit the GraphicsCards.sgr and GraphicsRules.sgr files to have any kind of a reasonable gaming experience.
    3. macOS 10.8.5 Mountain Lion and later are not supported operating systems in the game. The last patch was released in January 2014. El Capitan was when everything really started to go horribly wrong for Sims 3.
    4. Late Night, Ambitions, Fast Lane and Outdoor Living do not install properly, you must manually move the game files into the right location.
    5. Late Night, Ambitions, Fast Lane and Outdoor Living are a mess in general and also need the Unknown Error fix.
    6. iMacs use the same mobile hardware as MacBook Pros, just slightly more powerful versions. Everything is still wired onto the logic board, unlike a proper desktop which has interchangeable parts.
    7. Always elevate a Mac notebook when playing, the casing is designed to dissipate heat. Enveloping it in a nice warm snuggly blanket is going to kill it.
    8. Cider was the root of all evil. Transgaming, the company who developed Cider, are now a real estate financing company. Guess they realised that software development wasn't for them.

Thank you so much for the list! The thing that got my attention the most is that you shouldn't smother your computer in blankets. Now obviously I don't do that, but I do have my computer on top of my bed covers when I do anything since it is a lap top. I make sure to not have the holes covered or anything but it is till on top of my covers. (This is not a fleece or knitted blanket though, it is a duvet) Since you have told be this I have been extra safe and every so often I put my computer on my desk to cool down. I really want to be able to have my computer on my bed. Can I still have it be there and take breaks on my desk so it won't over heat?
    Most of the heat comes through the bottom casing which is why it should always be elevated. I use one of these, it's great - http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

apple-signature.png
    Most of the heat comes through the bottom casing which is why it should always be elevated. I use one of these, it's great - http://www.raindesigninc.com/ilap.html

That looks great, I will have to see if I can buy one. I have a shell case so is a shell case going to make the computer overheat? (Sorry for all the questions!)
    edited April 2018
    I think the rule of thumb to follow here is that if the first thing the bottom of the case comes in contact with is fabric (fuzzy or smooth, doesn't matter) while the system is actually running, one is taking quite a risk with the cooling system.

@BluebellFlora - As long as you're here, and sorry to take this off-topic, but I wonder what your predictions will be for TS3 for Mac when Apple drops not only support for but the ability to run 32-bit apps? The writing seems to be on the wall for whatever the next OS will be beyond High Sierra (or maybe the one after that), but if what I've been reading is at all accurate, the time for which players on any Mac can stay current with the OS and still run TS3 for Mac at all seems like it might be limited.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • PikaKnightPikaKnight Posts: 19 Member
    I'm a PC user but I'm too new to start my own thread so hope you don't mind me adding on to this one. I too am having issues with the launcher. I very recently returned to Sims 3 through Steam. After playing for a week, I realized there was a newer patch than what I was playing on, but it could only be obtained through Origin.

So I switched over to Origin today and I'm at my wits end. First, one of my expansion packs didn't show up but that was fixed relatively quickly. I was re-downloading items and such from the store after I realized my build was borked because things were now missing.

As I was downloading items, something happened and I had to exit out. But now, my launcher is just a blue screen and when it prompts me to log in - it says my email and password are incorrect (which I double checked on the sims3 website so I know they aren't).

I contacted support again, but no success. I've tried clearing the Origin cache, debugging my computer and uninstalling/reinstalling with no luck. I've been at this for 6 hours now and just want to cry. I had entertained maybe playing Sims 4 but if this is how it is, I don't want to waste anymore money on it.

Has anyone had any luck resolving this blue/blank launcher screen issue?
    edited April 2018
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    I'm a PC user but I'm too new to start my own thread so hope you don't mind me adding on to this one. I too am having issues with the launcher. I very recently returned to Sims 3 through Steam. After playing for a week, I realized there was a newer patch than what I was playing on, but it could only be obtained through Origin.

So I switched over to Origin today and I'm at my wits end. First, one of my expansion packs didn't show up but that was fixed relatively quickly. I was re-downloading items and such from the store after I realized my build was borked because things were now missing.

As I was downloading items, something happened and I had to exit out. But now, my launcher is just a blue screen and when it prompts me to log in - it says my email and password are incorrect (which I double checked on the sims3 website so I know they aren't).

I contacted support again, but no success. I've tried clearing the Origin cache, debugging my computer and uninstalling/reinstalling with no luck. I've been at this for 6 hours now and just want to cry. I had entertained maybe playing Sims 4 but if this is how it is, I don't want to waste anymore money on it.

Has anyone had any luck resolving this blue/blank launcher screen issue?
    Hi there. This is the Mac section of the forum, I'm afraid this post is off-topic here. A better thread for New Members on Windows to post onto (perhaps you could copy the above one over if you require more assistance than what follows?) would be here: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/893122/thread-for-new-members-to-post-their-sims-3-game-issues#latest

But let me fill in some missing information first as you have a couple of choices here.

1 - The sole purpose of the latest patch for Windows, that would be 1.69, is the Origin tie-in and the way in which the game starts up. There are absolutely no differences in the game files between the two patches and 1.67 is still considered just as current as 1.69. We have examined those game files extensively behind the scenes as have other mod developers and we've all come to the same conclusion, only the internal build numbers are different. The game plays exactly the same either way.

2 - Yes, whenever you switch from Origin to Steam or back again, all of your TS3 Store content has to be downloaded and re-installed again. The two sets of game IDs do not recognize each other's Store content (custom content and mods don't care about this, although Core Mods in particular of which there are only six in popular usage have to be made for the correct patch number).

3 - We can maybe help you work through your Origin issues on the other board, but honestly the entire setup is a pain. Many of us took great effort to repurchase the game on Steam during one of their regularly occurring sales so we could revert to 1.67 and NOT have the Origin mess to deal with.

If your game was working properly on Steam/1.67, my suggestion would be to uninstall everything, clean the Registry with a tool such as Piriform's CCleaner, and start over with a fresh Steam install. You are missing nothing except the often broken Pack chooser by not being on 1.69.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Kyliesswartz get rid of that bottom casing! They're fine to protect your Mac if you're just doing run of the mill stuff like web browsing, Office documents, emails etc. but anything intense that produces a lot of heat is going to cook your Mac in that nice, close fitting casing.
    apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora - As long as you're here, and sorry to take this off-topic, but I wonder what your predictions will be for TS3 for Mac when Apple drops not only support for but the ability to run 32-bit apps? The writing seems to be on the wall for whatever the next OS will be beyond High Sierra (or maybe the one after that), but if what I've been reading is at all accurate, the time for which players on any Mac can stay current with the OS and still run TS3 for Mac at all seems like it might be limited.

Well that will kill off Sims 3 once and for all then :( I don't see anyway round that problem. Unless we hold down 3 and 2 when we reboot our Macs like in the old days of booting into 64-bit from earlier versions of OS X. But yeah, that wouldn't work either.

RIP Sims 3, it was nice knowing you, sometimes.....
    apple-signature.png
    edited April 2018

Well that will kill off Sims 3 once and for all then :( I don't see anyway round that problem. Unless we hold down 3 and 2 when we reboot our Macs like in the old days of booting into 64-bit from earlier versions of OS X. But yeah, that wouldn't work either.

RIP Sims 3, it was nice knowing you, sometimes.....
    It's not going to do much good for TS2 players either.

Gosh, I wouldn't want to be the one responsible for starting or spreading an unfounded rumor. That could lead to general unrest and rioting in the streets. Was hoping there was some middle ground already announced, maybe a shell that will still run 32-bit apps at least for a transition period like we could with Classic apps after OS 9 became legacy. But I guess not. Maybe too much to hope for, but it might depend on how many OS X users who stay current (or buy new Macs) still rely on 32-bit only apps for productivity. I guess MS Office for Mac would be an example, but that one is already transitioning.

On the other had, running a 32-bit app in some kind of emulation so that it in turn calls up a further emulation (Cider) can't be good either. Now I'm not sure if it's best to be happy or sad if what I read pans out to a total 32-bit prohibition. Happy maybe to not have further obstacles for would-be players to need help with overcoming, but that would be at the expense of none of them being able to play unless Bootcamp were within reach. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Kyliesswartz get rid of that bottom casing! They're fine to protect your Mac if you're just doing run of the mill stuff like web browsing, Office documents, emails etc. but anything intense that produces a lot of heat is going to cook your Mac in that nice, close fitting casing.

Maybe that is why my computer is working so hard! I guess I will just put the case on when I put it in my backpack for school but leave it off at home.
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Sims 2 was retooled by Aspyr. Really wish Aspyr could help us Mac Users out with Sims 3. *Sigh*
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    Sims 2 was retooled by Aspyr. Really wish Aspyr could help us Mac Users out with Sims 3. *Sigh*
    Wow, support at Aspyr still lives!
    https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000214186--GAME-is-not-optimized-for-your-Mac-alert-
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Love Aspyr ❤️ Although they really need to update the App Store version of SimCity, they seem to have given up on it.

I think the issue with anyone getting their hands on Sims 3 is licensing. Cider was licensed to EA and EA used a 3rd party to create the Mac version of the game. At least, that's how I understand it. Now Cider is all but gone so no updates are possible for the game. And because EA never chose Aspyr to port the game in the first place because they wanted simultaneous release with Windows users, no one else can touch it.

Maybe we should be thanking NVIDIA for burying Cider once and for all :D

I guess we'll know more about the 32-bit issue when the next macOS version is announced at the WWDC in June and we can get our hands on the betas. I'll install it on an external to test.....

apple-signature.png
    @BluebellFlora I was randomly thinking about how TS3 used to crash all the time for me when I had it installed on my laptop and I was wondering if you think it is not only because my computer could not handle it but because my software was too new. If I ever want to play TS3 again, do you think I should use a PC because it will some what support the game?
    @BluebellFlora I was randomly thinking about how TS3 used to crash all the time for me when I had it installed on my laptop and I was wondering if you think it is not only because my computer could not handle it but because my software was too new. If I ever want to play TS3 again, do you think I should use a PC because it will some what support the game?

It's not supported on versions of macOS released Mountain Lion 10.8 so yes, that will be a factor. Sims 3 always performs better in Windows because it was written for that OS. Apart from the incompatibility issues, your 4Gb RAM is your greatest hindrance :(
    apple-signature.png