Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What Rating Would You Give The Sims 4 at Launch?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited April 2018
    4/10
    When the game was launched, I played for a very short time, but found it uninspiring. So many things were missing. But it was the culling bug (a sim made a friend one day, and the next day the friend had disappeared from the relationships tab) that caused me to quit the game for maybe a year and a half.

By the time I came back to the game and bought a few packs, things had shifted to the point where the game became fully enjoyable to play.

There are still things missing - in the other poll I gave the current game a 7/10 - but it's far better than it was at launch.
  • Options
    princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    1/10
    lol   
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    10/10
    smiles...
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    10/10
    Every Sims game thus far only sees their potential shine as their development progresses through updates and packs. I liked the potential I saw in Sims 4, and so far it's just gotten better and better. I don't expect everything to be in the base game at the start, because it never has been for any in the series so far.

I see the Sims 4 as the true sequel to 1.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2018
    No, a Sims basegame indeed doesn't have to have everything. The game is perfect to build on DLC, spread out over the years of its existence. As long as the basic system of the game is challenging and fun enough to stand on its own. And though opinions about that clearly differ, the overall backlash for Sims 4's basegame was real and widely shared. The turning point came when the game was 2,5 years old and I think that's... odd to say the least. Giving the basegame a 10/10 contradicts 'and so far it's just got better and better' by the way, because there is no better than a 10 :p
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    10/10
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    No, a Sims basegame indeed doesn't have to have everything. The game is perfect to build on DLC, spread out over the years of its existence. As long as the basic system of the game is challenging and fun enough to stand on its own. And though opinions about that clearly differ, the overall backlash for Sims 4's basegame was real and widely shared. The turning point came when the game was 2,5 years old and I think that's... odd to say the least. Giving the basegame a 10/10 contradicts 'and so far it's just got better and better' by the way, because there is no better than a 10 :p

No. Giving it a 10/10 means I was content with what it offered to begin with, and things since have been a bonus for me. I'm not interested in toddlers in the slightest, so it didn't get better for me 2.5 years later. That's just a bonus. I couldn't care less about vampires, so they didn't make it better for me. That's just a bonus.

With the exception of GT's club system, I've really only need/wanted packs beyond the base game for the b/b and CAS stuff. All bonuses. Extra worlds have been nice too. But if we only had the base game, and the free updates we've had so far, and no packs at all? I'd be fine with that too.

That's my 10/10. Deal with it or not, but nothing of what I said contradicts myself. Thanks. :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    FinvolaFinvola Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited April 2018
    1/10
    I hated it at launch, but at the time I had an old computer that didn't meet the minimum requirements. I bought TS4 when it was 50% off during the Black Friday sale a few months after it was released, so I figured I would have it for when I was able to purchase a new computer (I did the following summer).

But it wasn't the bad graphics/my lousy PC that made me dislike the game. I just couldn't get into it. It didn't capture me like the previous versions where I would be sucked in for hours on end. I think I only played it for a total of 7 hours. I uninstalled it on that computer and when I bought the new one some 7 months later, I installed it on the new PC. By then some packs had been released and it still wasn't enough to hold my attention. I kept going back to it here and there and I don't think it was until 2016 did I start to play more regularly and buy more content and upgraded to the digital deluxe (I think that's what it's called) edition.

I still don't own everything but I own a fair amount of content and play regularly.
  • Options
    keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    1/10
    Where is the zero option? Anyways, I still might have given it a one because I was able to play on a rotation again.

No pools, no toddlers, no ghosts, no graveyard, no police(I literally started a neighborhood full of criminals because of no police), no burglars, no editing outside of a lot, no family trees, no life failures. I mean these were some basic options that didn't even come with the base game. Sure they were added later but they love to rub in our faces how much was patched in for free and frankly I feel like I paid for it by buying the bare base game.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited April 2018
    3/10
    Today I would give the game 7. I don't know about anyone else but I always compare sims games now to the sims 2 and even now with all the packs in comparison to 2, 4 still feels very flat and empty. I can't seem to play the game for more then half an hour without getting bored which I've never had with previous titles. I just find the sims themselves a bit boring. There isn't any quirkiness. I like to play around with builds in ways you can't with the sims 4 too, like building a house on a foundation then building a room on the lots ground level. Can't do that in 4 as it auto builds a foundation, same for the lack of water/pond and terrain tools. I get that 4 has fountains but it isn't the same at all. Plus I can't build to the level some players do to make a fountain look more like a pond with rocks etc. Lack of certain npcs and transport bugs me too, and even if they add those things in its kinda 4 years too late for me.

If you could take sims 4s create a sim, the sims 2s sims and gameplay and the sims 3s open world and mash them into one game then I recon we would have the best sims title in the series.
  • Options
    EA_MageEA_Mage Posts: 1,354 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello all,

I have removed several comments from this discussion as they were derailing the thread.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion (within Forum Rules :wink: ), so please keep this topic about your personal opinion, not other people's.

Thanks,
    -Mage
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    2/10
    The problem for me still is how to interpret the evaluations though. I gave the game 2/10 at launch because this is my evaluation if I see it mainly as a successor to the previous games. But if I instead see it as a new and different Sims game on its own and targeted at new simmers then I will give it 4/10 or 5/10 because at least it is playable also for me. If the earlier big Sims games hadn’t even existed then my evaluation would have been even higher. I just don’t know with how much because I can’t completely ignore that I played the previous games too.
  • Options
    cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    1/10
    Sims 4 requires you to spend excessively, beyond your initial investment in a base game, to make it playable. This makes it the worst base game in the Sims history, so that's why it merits a low score
  • Options
    Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited April 2018
    1/10
    I gave it a 1/10, it's a terrible successor to any of the Sims games, and while 'playable' it doesn't hold interest, unlike the basegames of the previous three.
    Post edited by Evil_One on
    raw
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    2/10
    It was dreadful. It's probably gone up to around 6/10 for me now, so a long way from perfect.
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited May 2018
    1/10
    The game has come a long way. I remember it was very rough near the beginning. I recall when in build mode one annoying song played over and over again. The game couldn't hold my interest for more than 10 minutes. The game seemed bare bones and had no features that were pretty standard in previous games. Build mode was (and still is to some aspect) frustrating. I enjoy building and designing.

Now, the game is much better, but still has some work to be done.
  • Options
    Omri147Omri147 Posts: 11,162 Member
    3/10
    It was really bad. On second thought I may have given it more than I should have.

At it's current state I'd probably give it a 6...
  • Options
    Lomelindi7Lomelindi7 Posts: 1,339 Member
    5/10
    I thought the game was OK at launch. I wasn’t happy with some of the stuff left out of it, but I also don’t think it was ever a TERRIBLE game. It had potential, and still does. I still have a lot of disappointments with this game, but I enjoy it. Anyway, at launch I’d say it was mediocre for me. I didn’t start playing often until after we got toddlers, as I found the game was disappointing and boring before we got that life stage
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    5/10
    I'd give it a 5 at launch. Very average. It has improved, so it's up to a 7 for me right now.
  • Options
    JessicthulhuJessicthulhu Posts: 315 Member
    5/10
    I gave it a 5 because, in all honesty, I remember thinking that the Sims 3 was way better than the Sims 4... However, now I can't go back. It's great now, and I feel like it's getting better.
  • Options
    kaitlyn0kaitlyn0 Posts: 512 Member
    4/10
    I was so disappointed with TS4 when it first came out. Like most others are saying, it felt so incomplete. It has definitely improved since then but there are still some missing features.