Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help understanding terminology

I’m quite new to Sims, I’ve only been playing 3 months, and I don’t yet understand a lot of the terminology people use on the forums. I would appreciate if some of you could post what they mean (things like CC, MOO, etc). I’m sure I’m not the only confused noob, so perhaps this could help others who are new as well. Thanks so much in advance!
Daughter started playing Sims 4, I joined her, she quit, I'm addicted! Moms play games too.
It's never too late to have a happy childhood! :D

Comments

• SimQueenie9SimQueenie9 Posts: 2,944 Member
    CC = Custom Content.

MOO = Move Objects On/Off (I think).
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2018
    Welcome here :)

CC = Custom Content. It's the player-made addons like clothes, hairs, furniture, and knick-knacks that you can add to your game from non-EA sites

Simmer = a Sims player

mod = a player-made addon that is more than an object. Some are UI (user interface) changes, or gameplay changes, etc.

MOO = Move Objects On. That's a Maxis-made "cheat".

Guru or SimGuru = an EA-Maxis employee who has an additional role as a public face in the community. Sometimes people use the word to mean any Sims developer

MCCC = MC Command Center. It's a player-made suite of mods that's widely used to add story progression and tweak lots of aspects of gameplay.

SP = Story Progression. It's a mainly Sims 3 feature that has the nonplayed Sims getting married, moving, having babies, etc. In Sims 4 it's mostly just nonplayed Sims getting (or losing) career assignments, and aging depending on your own settings.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • BonasitaBonasita Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2018
    Welcome here :)

CC = Custom Content. It's the player-made addons like clothes, hairs, furniture, and knick-knacks that you can add to your game from non-EA sites

Simmer = a Sims player

mod = a player-made addon that is more than an object. Some are UI (user interface) changes, or gameplay changes, etc.

MOO = Move Objects On. That's a Maxis-made "cheat".

Thank you. I was wondering about “clipping” too but then I found a post about it, and it seems to be things interacting inside each other, like the many times I’ve watched my sims walk through walls or get stuck inside each other. I know there are other terms, I just can’t remember them now, so I’ll add as I come across them. Thanks again, @luthienrising and @SimQueenie9.
    Daughter started playing Sims 4, I joined her, she quit, I'm addicted! Moms play games too.
    NPC = non playable character, correct?
    edited April 2018
    Bonasita wrote: »
    NPC = non playable character, correct?

Correct.
    Sometimes people use NPC to mean "nonplayed character", too - the ones you *could* choose to play but don't.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Sometimes people use NPC to mean "nonplayed character", too - the ones you *could* choose to play but don't.

Weird, I don't think I've ever seen it used like that...

Unless you’re me :D and you like to edit the NPCs and/or pair them up with your own sims.

Unless you’re me :D and you like to edit the NPCs and/or pair them up with your own sims.

Ha! I'm totally you, then. I am the Goddess of My Own Story Progression.
    Here’s something else I’m curious about, @luthienrising. Terms like “legacy sims.” I see that a lot.
    Legacy Sims: Sims that are part of a Legacy Challenge.
    That’s complicated! :o I think I’ll stick to my regular way of playing. Thanks! Big shoutout to you and @luthienrising for all your help, @SimQueenie9.
    That’s complicated! :o I think I’ll stick to my regular way of playing. Thanks! Big shoutout to you and @luthienrising for all your help, @SimQueenie9.

Not really. XD I've been playing Legacies since Sims 2, to the point where I don't really know any other way of playing. (I don't follow every single rule, though, or keep score.)

No prob!
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Another useful word: necro. When you make a new post in a thread when no one has replied in months/years.
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I've got a couple for you:

Townies generally refer to sims who populate the town but aren't living in the world. It's sometimes used interchangeably with NPC, but there can be a distinction.

Premades refers to sims made by Maxis who either came with the game or were used in trailers and put up on the gallery for download. Bella Goth and Bob Pancakes are examples of premades.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,936 Member
    edited April 2018
    Here's two more terms you should know:

Rotational player - Player who plays with more than one household in the same save game by switching them from time to time.
    Culling - Game deleting sims or relationships to make room for freshly generated sims/relationships.
    The whole culling system is talked about in this forum post. (https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/905991/culling-relationship-culling-decay-current-status/p1)
    Thanks @happyopi @AfterMidnight and @EgonVM. Apparently I’m a rotational player :) and one of my NPCs got culled, and I didn’t know what happened to him. He just disappeared!
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    Here's one:

Plum: What the forum uses to replace/censor words that might violate the rules, like swearing.

Took me ages to work out what on Earth people were talking about. I thought I was outside of the loop of some weird inside joke.
    Here's one:

Plum: What the forum uses to replace/censor words that might violate the rules, like swearing.

Took me ages to work out what on Earth people were talking about. I thought I was outside of the loop of some weird inside joke.

Thanks for letting me in on that, I thought the same thing! One of my best friend’s name is Plum :D
    Here’s a few more that I don’t understand:
    NRAAS
    TSR
    MTS
    Can anyone explain those, please?
  • DinowCookieDinowCookie Posts: 951 Member
    TSR = The Sims Resource, a popular website where you can download custom content

Not sure about the other two..
    Visit me on the gallery! 😊
    EA ID: DinowCookie | No-CC Households & Rooms
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    This is a really good resource for new simmers. I found it very helpful when I started playing a couple of years ago. Welcome to the community! :)
    carls-sims-4-guide.com
  • AstreonAstreon Posts: 1,291 Member
    NRAAS
    TSR
    MTS

NRAAS is a modder I believe.
    TSR - The Sims Resource as someone mentioned
    MTS - modthesims website
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    NRAAS
    TSR
    MTS

NRaas, Industries is a web site that was initiated by Twallen for his mods. He made numerous mods for Sims3 that are fantastic. When he announced he was 'retiring' from the making of such mods, he turned over his website to those who are there, now. They have been given full rights to use his codes, et al, to continue creating mods (script mods) for Sims3.

TSR is a site that offers custom content

MTS stands for ModtheSims, which also offers custom content plus mods for Sims2-4. It's a great site!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Here are two confusing ones:

MM = Maxis Match = generally custom content that is made in the same style and/or looks as if it came with the game, for example. A hairstyle that is an edit of a hair that already exists in the game

Alpha = generally custom content that is high poly (HD) and does not fit the basic game aesthetic, for example, hair that does not have the "clay" look, where you can see the individual strands
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie