Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Kindness Bench for SimLit Writers - For All Games!

Comments

• AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    That's a great pic, @lisabee2. Sul Sul to you too! :)
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    For_Eorzea wrote: »
    @CathyTea
    Once again, an excellent point. :D

cathtea is great at making excellent points. :)

shes not so great at accepting compliments. she laughed at me. she a secret awesome ninja.

This post and the one right before had me giggling a bit :)
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    lisabee2 wrote: »
    @CathyTea
    Once again, an excellent point. :D

cathtea is great at making excellent points. :)

shes not so great at accepting compliments. she laughed at me. she a secret awesome ninja.

This post and the one right before had me giggling a bit :)

the one before it was you saying sui sui. but glad i could make you laugh.
  • For_EorzeaFor_Eorzea Posts: 380 Member
    I did a thing I long hesitated to do. I rewrote the prologue of my story. It'd been bothering me for a long while already, what with all teh melodramatic grammer. Now people might not be spooked by it so much they would not read the rest of the thing because of that.
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    edited April 2018
    Any tips on how not to be so hard on yourself as a writer? I'm a crazy perfectionist when it comes to my work, and if it doesn't meet my high standards I think it royally stinks. Is anyone else this hard on themselves as a writer?
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    NyteRose wrote: »
    Any tips on how not to be so hard on yourself as a writer? I'm a crazy perfectionist when it comes to my work, and if it doesn't meet my high standards I think it royally stinks. Is anyone else this hard on themselves as a writer?

@NyteRose Yes, I am like this. I reread my chapters SO many times before posting to make sure it flows and comes out just right.

I think the key to not being hard on ourselves as a writer it to remember why we write to begin with. Because it's fun. :) And to remember that we do it for ourselves more than we do it for our readers.

I've also found that whenever I think a chapter su'cked fell short of another chapter I wrote, it ended up being my readers favorite! :star: *shrugs* No idea how that happens. :lol:
    Remember that your readers will always love your work no matter what (or they wouldn't read it). That's what we have to remember to help us not be so hard on ourselves as a writer. <3

I hope that helps. {{{{Hugs}}}}
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg

don't compare yourself to others. this was a mistake i made a lot.
  • simscognitosimscognito Posts: 16,599 Member
    edited April 2018
    I did a thing I long hesitated to do. I rewrote the prologue of my story. It'd been bothering me for a long while already, what with all teh melodramatic grammer. Now people might not be spooked by it so much they would not read the rest of the thing because of that.

What is your story? I don't think I've come across it.

Hey, your writing' awesome @NyteRose . I can understand that feeling though. And omg, I totally agree emorril! often the chapters we're most worried about end up being our best, and I think it's because they're the ones we spend the most time thinking about and tweaking, but they're also the ones that I think we've challenged ourselves with.
    edited April 2018
    @simscognito
    The series name is Firecalls. It's part of the Alien Adoption Challenge collabverse, and I started writing at the end of last summer. I don't exactly follow the rules of the challenge, though.

@simscognito
    The series name is Firecalls. It's part of the Alien Adoption Challenge collabverse, and I started writing at the end of last summer. I don't exactly follow the rules of the challenge, though.

Oh wow! I think I read this before. Yes, I'm already following you as well. How could I have forgotten? Your prologue is beautifully written. :)
    @simscognito

Oh wow! I think I read this before. Yes, I'm already following you as well. How could I have forgotten? Your prologue is beautifully written. :)

Thank you very much! And about forgetfulness - another good question would be how I was able to forget we'd talked about the story before. :blush:
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    Good timezones! (here is a middle of the night)

My boyfriend and I are now a couple months together in my family flat, and all our stuff is in a one room, therefore he sleeps right now, and I'm awake at the computer in the same room. I'm trying to make some kind of a conclusion to my writing, as I've been tinkering with a lot of tools and read a lot of tips for creative writing. I got Scrivener out of curiosity, and now I'm trying to write there. However, my boyfriend is snoring really loud, and that irritates me and prevents me from having proper brainstorming, even though I have music on max through my headphones.

Do you have any tips for adapting to this situation? I know that I can write when I'm alone, but sometimes I need a whole day, or days to recover from life with bipolar, for a little time-out, that I'm using for playing Sims, writing, and doing anything related to Simmin'. Though, no one knows this, except my boyfriend who said to me yesterday, when I explained to him that I'm doing something important to me (doing something related to writing and writing), he said "ah, the sims" (in a manner that's belittling). Of course, I mentioned his gaming (different than mine), how important that is to him, but still, it's not the same. It's fantasy and getting off the steam, but Sims can provide much more. Don't you all agree? :lol:

I needed to vent. :innocent:
    edited April 2018
    ninaumi wrote: »

My boyfriend and I are now a couple months together in my family flat, and all our stuff is in a one room, therefore he sleeps right now, and I'm awake at the computer in the same room. I'm trying to make some kind of a conclusion to my writing, as I've been tinkering with a lot of tools and read a lot of tips for creative writing. I got Scrivener out of curiosity, and now I'm trying to write there. However, my boyfriend is snoring really loud, and that irritates me and prevents me from having proper brainstorming, even though I have music on max through my headphones.

Do you have any tips for adapting to this situation? I know that I can write when I'm alone, but sometimes I need a whole day, or days to recover from life with bipolar, for a little time-out, that I'm using for playing Sims, writing, and doing anything related to Simmin'. Though, no one knows this, except my boyfriend who said to me yesterday, when I explained to him that I'm doing something important to me (doing something related to writing and writing), he said "ah, the sims" (in a manner that's belittling). Of course, I mentioned his gaming (different than mine), how important that is to him, but still, it's not the same. It's fantasy and getting off the steam, but Sims can provide much more. Don't you all agree? :lol:

Hello! As I'm somewhat of a brat, I might not have the best advice, but I'll give it a try nonetheless. I feel like I'm at a middle ground here, as I play both a fantasy MMORPG and the Sims, depending on what I feel like doing, and usually it is just a matter of energy. When I'm too tired to think about story stuff I go cast some fancy magic, and when I want to get on with the more experimental of my creative projects I might set up the Sims. I also set up the Sims when I want to wreak havoc in Newcrest. However, the creative side of gaming is also FFXIV fanfics and random scetches about just about anything.

So your boyfriend gets off the steam in a complete fantasy setting, while you enjoy building your own settings. The overall motive is not all that different, in my opinion. One way to explain your need for expressing yourself and recharge on creative stuff could be that you use your game to visualize stories so you can get them on paper, and that's your way of getting off the steam. Using terms and expressives he can relate to is a good way to get your message through.

I hope this helps!
    Post edited by For_Eorzea on
  • NyteRoseNyteRose Posts: 1,672 Member
    Update: Chapter completion and posting is being postponed for a few days because my pet hamster died of illness and old age yesterday evening. I just feel like doing squat right now. :'(
    It can't rain all the time- Eric Draven, The Crow
  • RipuAncestorRipuAncestor Posts: 2,332 Member
    @NyteRose Lots of love and strength for you! May your hamster find peace in afterlife.
    doublebannerpic.jpg?w=676
    My Sims stories:
    The Fey of Life - fairytales in life are few and far between (Forum thread HERE)
    The Chrysanthemum Tango - a story about life, death, magic, and how to be a good landlady (Forum thread HERE)
    Forget-Me-Not - some things just refuse to stay buried; an Ambrosia Challenge story (Forum thread HERE)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @NyteRose Lots of love and strength for you! May your hamster find peace in afterlife.

Condolences, dear @NyteRose . That's tough. Take all the time you need. We'll be here to read when you return!
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    CathyTea wrote: »

Condolences, dear @NyteRose . That's tough. Take all the time you need. We'll be here to read when you return!

i second this.
  • ninaumininaumi Posts: 363 Member
    ninaumi wrote: »

Hello! As I'm somewhat of a brat, I might not have the best advice, but I'll give it a try nonetheless. I feel like I'm at a middle ground here, as I play both a fantasy MMORPG and the Sims, depending on what I feel like doing, and usually it is just a matter of energy. When I'm too tired to think about story stuff I go cast some fancy magic, and when I want to get on with the more experimental of my creative projects I might set up the Sims. I also set up the Sims when I want to wreak havoc in Newcrest. However, the creative side of gaming is also FFXIV fanfics and random scetches about just about anything.

So your boyfriend gets off the steam in a complete fantasy setting, while you enjoy building your own settings. The overall motive is not all that different, in my opinion. One way to explain your need for expressing yourself and recharge on creative stuff could be that you use your game to visualize stories so you can get them on paper, and that's your way of getting off the steam. Using terms and expressives he can relate to is a good way to get your message through.

I hope this helps!

Thank you, @For_Eorzea ! :) I overreacted a little. :neutral:

I often feel like I can't take it anymore because my bipolar is messing with me constantly, but now, as Sims and storytelling became an important part of my life, I feel like I can write here. If that makes sense.

I got obsessed with Sims giveaways, and I would just play it, and write, actually finish one short chapter at least, and publish it, so I can have less material for chapter that will be out after that one.

Yet I have a lot of things I should be doing besides that, but I can't. For example, I need to take a short travel to boyfriend's hometown, and that's a big change to my routine.

• OpicanaOpicana Posts: 379 Member
    I'm stuck.

Life got in the way of gameplay. I really wanted to play the Sims, but I didn't have the energy for storytelling. Sadly, I can't seem to play the game without creating and sharing a story. Sigh. So, I've been avoiding the game.

The work event causing the stress and exhaustion is over, though I am dealing with a surprise minor challenge at work. I really want to play, but I'm lacking the extra bit of inspiration. I get inspired by designing a new story or challenge. However, I feel it is important to go back to my current story. My current story is the Self-care focused Bullet Journal challenge. Unfortunately, that takes a bit of extra creative energy because it has the additional elements of a bullet journal and user feedback through votes/polls.

I can't decide if I should wait a bit longer until I'm feeling the Bullet Journal challenge, or if I should start something new until I get my inspiration for it back, and if I start something new- what?

I'm not asking for answers, as much as some sympathy from a population of folks who'd understand. My friends, fam, and co-workers don't seem to understand my passion for the Sims, lol. Of course, advice is welcome too. ;)
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    Opicana wrote: »
    I'm stuck.

Life got in the way of gameplay. I really wanted to play the Sims, but I didn't have the energy for storytelling. Sadly, I can't seem to play the game without creating and sharing a story. Sigh. So, I've been avoiding the game.

The work event causing the stress and exhaustion is over, though I am dealing with a surprise minor challenge at work. I really want to play, but I'm lacking the extra bit of inspiration. I get inspired by designing a new story or challenge. However, I feel it is important to go back to my current story. My current story is the Self-care focused Bullet Journal challenge. Unfortunately, that takes a bit of extra creative energy because it has the additional elements of a bullet journal and user feedback through votes/polls.

I can't decide if I should wait a bit longer until I'm feeling the Bullet Journal challenge, or if I should start something new until I get my inspiration for it back, and if I start something new- what?

I'm not asking for answers, as much as some sympathy from a population of folks who'd understand. My friends, fam, and co-workers don't seem to understand my passion for the Sims, lol. Of course, advice is welcome too. ;)

I definitely can share sympathy and empathy ! I've been there !

Balancing work, responsibilities , creative passions, and available energy definitely takes some conscious attention and a lot of self-compassion.

I just finished the poem-a-day challenge , and I've just started the short-story-a-day challenge . While it might seem foolish to start daily challenges during busy or demanding times, I actually find it works for me by providing limited engaging ways to write and play .

I get energy by having a project that fits and that stretches me slightly . So, you could explore ways of seeing what firs your current situation . .. I love short works because they're less demanding and consuming than longer ones. I can think about them during the day , knock them off during break, and then move on. If you're interested , I've got links to the story-a-day site on my blog .
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    Hello. It feels a tad silly to be talking about this, but here we are! It's exam week again! And I still have no idea what I'm doing.
    I've been super hyped for my writing as of late, felt motivated and excited for summer. Yet, as far as the cycle goes, I'm two days to math test and feel pretty nervous. What a great time to stress about my other worries!

There's this pal I promised to write letters to at the end of the summer. I did, but it's been five months since I sent the last one. No response, and I dunno if I should just send another letter or if the last one weirded them out? Yet, when I last saw them, they were worried that they would lose touch with all the friends [from the summer camp where we met] over the year, and their last letter was pretty enthusiastic and I just feel this mixture of guilt and awkwardness about the whole thing.

My cosplay is lagging behind pretty badly. The convention is in July, and I never get to doing anything about it.

And, I don't know what to do with life? But it's okay I guess? Also, now I want to climb a tree.

I'm usually uncomfy with all scheduling-related stuff, but listing this really does help a little. And, none of this is on any kind of world-ending scale.

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    edited May 2018
    my date been cancelled/postpone at the moment @CathyTea @simscognito
    Post edited by MadameLee on
    6adMCGP.gif
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    This is a message from a "small" simlit writers to others "small" simlit writers. I mean by "small" people in our community that isn't read much, commented and followed by less than 30 people but everybody who feels the same are welcomed.

<3 Your story worths, your sims are awesome, you'll got Success even though sometimes we have to be patient to be seen and noticed and better getting a handle of true fans than an ocean of haters. <3
    <3<3

Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
    edited May 2018
    This is a message from a "small" simlit writers to others "small" simlit writers. I mean by "small" people in our community that isn't read much, commented and followed by less than 30 people but everybody who feels the same are welcomed.

<3 Your story worths, your sims are awesome, you'll got Success even though sometimes we have to be patient to be seen and noticed and better getting a handle of true fans than an ocean of haters. <3
    <3<3

Thanks @Simsophonique . That was a really nice thing to say. I kinda needed the confidence boost too (although I'm not too bothered about numbers of readers), so thanks heaps. :blush:
    MadameLee wrote: »
    my date been cancelled/postpone at the moment @CathyTea @simscognito

Oh dear. I'm sorry to hear that @MadameLee . Hopefully you two can arrange another date.
    Hello. It feels a tad silly to be talking about this, but here we are! It's exam week again! And I still have no idea what I'm doing.
    I've been super hyped for my writing as of late, felt motivated and excited for summer. Yet, as far as the cycle goes, I'm two days to math test and feel pretty nervous. What a great time to stress about my other worries!

There's this pal I promised to write letters to at the end of the summer. I did, but it's been five months since I sent the last one. No response, and I dunno if I should just send another letter or if the last one weirded them out? Yet, when I last saw them, they were worried that they would lose touch with all the friends [from the summer camp where we met] over the year, and their last letter was pretty enthusiastic and I just feel this mixture of guilt and awkwardness about the whole thing.

My cosplay is lagging behind pretty badly. The convention is in July, and I never get to doing anything about it.

And, I don't know what to do with life? But it's okay I guess? Also, now I want to climb a tree.

I'm usually uncomfy with all scheduling-related stuff, but listing this really does help a little. And, none of this is on any kind of world-ending scale.

Hi @For_Eorzea Nice to hear from you again. :)
    It looks like you're going through a busy time. I hope the maths test went alright and oooh cosplay! I love cosplay!
    I'm glad writing about your worries helped. I find writing things down helpful too. XD
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member

<3<3

I have a couple of comments but nothing like Citizen's and there's no people guessing what will happen to X
    6adMCGP.gif