Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Free me from this horrific nightmare—horrifying mac glitch???

The title isn't wrong. I'm actually going to copy/paste my problem report from the questions forum, because that actually hasn't gotten me an answer that's fixed it, and I'd like to try again in its own thread, since I'm actually able to make new threads now. Sorry if that's not allowed, I just really, really, -really- need help.
Here we go!

On the 28th, I asked in a help forum;

--

Hallo, I have a problem that I've had lurking for months. It's driving me insane and I've tried heaps of things. The last person I asked directed me to ask here, because being a mac user, some things may be a bit different. So, here's the issue;

My sims reaction time is super wonky. Like...it's really really slow, and getting worse. I tell my sim to do something and they stand there, just shifting and looking sideways for a good five to ten seconds before the thing even appears in their action bar.
I often pause the game, then unpause it, which helps fix the broken movement that one time, but the pausing is weird too. I click pause and it doesn't actually pause—it doesn't go red around the edge, and my sims are still doing the weird side look thing. After a few seconds, it usually then does pause, and I can unpause the game again.

This is so, so much worse if I go on a higher speed. If I go on a higher speed, every action needs a pause to actually go through.

It kind of varies from minute to minute, action to action. It's driving me insane. It almost killed my vampire because she would not leave the sunlight. It's making me not want to play. I know this is a long explanation, but I felt like it was the only way to get through the severity of this issue. I've already asked in the normal issue threads and got directed here.

I've tried;
Repairing Origin (so many times)
Completely uninstalling and reinstalling both MCCC and the game.
Deleting sims folder, opening the game to get a new one and moving the saves and stuff back in.
Removing MCCC
Disabling Origin in-game
Playing in windowed mode (which did seem to help at first, then didn't)

So, I'm at a loss for what to do now. Deleting the folder has made it a million times better (it only happens maybe 25% of the time now for a few seconds, instead of 80% for ten seconds) but it's still here. I feel like I'm stuck with this problem forever at this stage.

I also feel like the problem is worse with bigger families, but I haven't actually tested that well. It's just a guess, on that front.

I -am- having some last exception errors, but I don't know if they're the problem, a symptom of the problem, or completely unrelated. Nobody's told me "its the last exception" yet.

I don't really know how to share the computer facts, but here goes:

Macbook Pro (13-inch, 2017)
2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB
Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB
macOS High Sierra Version 10.13.1

Official packs; Get Together, Get to Work, City Living, Cats and Dogs, Parenthood, Vampires, Jungle Adventure, Holiday Celebration Pack.

No antiviruses, no nothing. Haven't really had my computer that long.
No background tasks.
The only mod/cc thing I have is MC Command Center.

I think I run my graphics on high, I turned them down from Very High when the issues first returned, and it hasn't helped at all. I just figured it was worth mentioning.

This issue was on the old computer I used, too. It wasn't here when I first got this computer, but it's gradually came back. Repairing it helps a tiny bit for maybe ten minutes, then it's in full swing mode again.

This is such a long message, hope someone has some idea of what's going on, because I sure don't.

Thanks ~ Crea.

--

I still haven't gotten any other possible fixes. I've now also tried to empty all my sims inventories, deleted old unplayed save files, and repair origin about five more times.
Still nothing.
I don't want to play the sims anymore, and it's 100% because of this glitch. Two vampires in my sims clan died because of this glitch. I've almost had my sims children removed because of this glitch. It's making me so angry and so upset and I'm starting to think I'll never be free of it.

The thing is, if I reset my sims folder, before moving stuff back, it seems okay, but I don't know if the problem is still lurking, and whether it just takes a while to come back, or whether it's something in my saves causing it.
I don't know what to do if it's my saves.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is driving me insane.

Thanks,
~Crea.
So many sorcerers ~

Comments

• Options
    BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    The thing is, if I reset my sims folder, before moving stuff back, it seems okay, but I don't know if the problem is still lurking, and whether it just takes a while to come back, or whether it's something in my saves causing it.

It could be your saves, or you could have your graphics options set too high for your Mac. Does it happen if you play without MC Command Centre? Even though you have a new Mac it really isn't designed for gaming, the more you add to your game the more it's going to slow it down. Trash the Options.ini file, load up your game, do not change any graphics settings, and see how it performs. Lower the settings if it still lags.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Also, have you simply restarted your computer? And make sure to run nothing but Origin and the Sims. Other applications running may slow down the game as well.

Like BlueBellFlora said, it could be something from your old saves that is corrupted and causing the game to lag this much.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • Options
    GasolineCreaGasolineCrea Posts: 135 Member
    Also, have you simply restarted your computer? And make sure to run nothing but Origin and the Sims. Other applications running may slow down the game as well.

Like BlueBellFlora said, it could be something from your old saves that is corrupted and causing the game to lag this much.

Yes. Yes I have tried restarting my computer.

Really hoping it isn't my saves, guess I'll have to check. Not sure what to do if it is...probably export my sims and house and bring it into a new world. I'd have to cheat a lot to bring them back to what they were, though.

It could be your saves, or you could have your graphics options set too high for your Mac. Does it happen if you play without MC Command Centre? Even though you have a new Mac it really isn't designed for gaming, the more you add to your game the more it's going to slow it down. Trash the Options.ini file, load up your game, do not change any graphics settings, and see how it performs. Lower the settings if it still lags.

Removing MCCC was actually the first thing I tried. Because that seemed pretty obvious. Didn't help a bit.
    So many sorcerers ~
  • Options
    Most laptops are not really gaming computers to be very honest. While 8GB of RAM is fine to run most games and is fine to run Sims 4 with limited EPs/SPs/GPs, CC and mods added, you have to remember the more you add to your game, the more computing power is required to run the game. And as Rosemow said in the other Help Thread, the longer you play a save, the more information the game has to keep track of in regards to friends, family and relationships. And saves can become corrupt over time.

In regards to restarting your computer, many users simply put them to sleep. I suggested restarting your computer because something may have still been running in the background that you were unaware of and many times can interfere with your game causing it to lag. I've had it happen to me and I play on a desktop Mac. I'm sorry if I offended you by suggesting this. Sometimes the simplest solution is the answer. I understand you are frustrated and upset by this problem, but sometimes it can be a larger problem that cannot be solved with one or two steps. Have you tried contacting one of the EA gurus directly here on the forums and sharing your save?
  • Options
    Most laptops are not really gaming computers to be very honest. While 8GB of RAM is fine to run most games and is fine to run Sims 4 with limited EPs/SPs/GPs, CC and mods added, you have to remember the more you add to your game, the more computing power is required to run the game. And as Rosemow said in the other Help Thread, the longer you play a save, the more information the game has to keep track of in regards to friends, family and relationships. And saves can become corrupt over time.

In regards to restarting your computer, many users simply put them to sleep. I suggested restarting your computer because something may have still been running in the background that you were unaware of and many times can interfere with your game causing it to lag. I've had it happen to me and I play on a desktop Mac. I'm sorry if I offended you by suggesting this. Sometimes the simplest solution is the answer. I understand you are frustrated and upset by this problem, but sometimes it can be a larger problem that cannot be solved with one or two steps. Have you tried contacting one of the EA gurus directly here on the forums and sharing your save?

I don't know how to contact gurus or share saves, honestly. Sorry if I was a bit salty, I just felt like I'd been through a lot of stuff to be told to just try turning it off and on again.
    I really hope my save isn't corrupt, but it's always a thought. I don't know. Maybe it's worth saving my sims to the gallery, taking note of their skills and just cheating the world back the back it was. (adding my side sims, remaking the important clubs, whatnot).

I like my saves, but nothing's that irreplaceable that I wouldnt scrap them if it fixed my game.
    So many sorcerers ~
  • Options
    Something else that occurred to me just now. Sometimes in the past (with other versions of the Sims) if a piece of CC or mod was removed, the save could be corrupted. :s I've had this happen to me, but another suggestion. Periodically, make copies of your saves as your family progresses. Take them out of your Sims folder and save them to your desktop. That way if something happens, you should have a fresh backup ready to add back in. I did this for one of Sims 3 saves and it worked. :)

Just a suggestion. :)<3
  • Options
    Something else that occurred to me just now. Sometimes in the past (with other versions of the Sims) if a piece of CC or mod was removed, the save could be corrupted. :s I've had this happen to me, but another suggestion. Periodically, make copies of your saves as your family progresses. Take them out of your Sims folder and save them to your desktop. That way if something happens, you should have a fresh backup ready to add back in. I did this for one of Sims 3 saves and it worked. :)

Just a suggestion. :)<3

I've only ever had the one mod, ever, and I didnt remove it until issues got bad, so, I don't know. I think right now, I'm going to try and bring my sims and homes into the gallery & move them into a new game. Maybe it won't work and I'll have wasted my time...I'll let you all know the results of that once I've done it.
    So many sorcerers ~
  • Options
    As I said, periodically make a duplicate save copy and save the copy outside your game. Like in a spare folder on your desktop. That way you have a backup copy to go back to. :) And hopefully won't loose too much progress. I'd hate for you to loose your sims and their progress. :)
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited April 2018
    @Tremayne4260 My laptop runs both sims 3 and sims 4 extremely fast and on the highest settings. My desktop was slow. Laptops have different specs just like desktops. It could be her specs and or graphics card. Ive also heard MACs arent suited for gaming.

OP, its not because its a laptop, it may be another issue going on. I dont have any help, because Im not a tech expert, but I hope you get it figured out <3<3o:)
  • Options
    @Tremayne4260 My laptop runs both sims 3 and sims 4 extremely fast and on the highest settings. My desktop was slow. Laptops have different specs just like desktops. It could be her specs and or graphics card. Ive also heard MACs arent suited for gaming.

OP, its not because its a laptop, it may be another issue going on. I dont have any help, because Im not a tech expert, but I hope you get it figured out <3<3o:)

What Mac do you play on? Stating your specs and your graphics options in-game really help others to understand what settings they can potentially play their game on.
    apple-signature.png
  • Options
    TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    I dont own MAC , I have a notebook and I have Nvidia 1060 , 16 gb memory, i7 processor and 1tb SSD and 256 HD @BluebellFlora
  • Options
    @flowerkitten67, I was speaking mainly of MacBooks which are not gaming laptops. While Sims 3 & 4 may play fine on your Windows computer, they do not on MacBooks or MacBook airs.

I have an iMac Desktop which runs Sims 2 (remastered for newer Macs), 3 & 4 just fine. Thank you though for your information. While many problems have similar root causes for both Windows and Mac versions, there are some differences as to how to solve the same problem on a Mac. <3
  • Options
    Alrighty, since this is super active still, here's a little update—as suggested by several people, I ditched my old save. I saved all the builds and sims to the gallery and I brought it all over to a new save. While there were a lot of downsides that made me pretty unhappy (like the loss of 5 generations worth of ghosts), it's almost completely gotten rid of the problem. Occasionally my sims still have moments where they lag about for a while, but it's like 1% of what it was before. I'm thinking that whoever said my save might've gotten a bit weird over time was probably right.
    Both this save and the save on the old computer that had it were like 5 generations long. I'd been playing a long time. I think this was probably it.
    I think it might come back, in which case, obviously I'll revive this if I can't fix it doing what I did this time. But for now, it's gone.

I just figured that'd be good for anyone else who finds this looking for help to know—a new save helped me.
    I can finally play again, and boy, am I playing. I've really gone all-out on the children front, too...four little nightmares...
    So many sorcerers ~
  • Options
    I dont own MAC , I have a notebook and I have Nvidia 1060 , 16 gb memory, i7 processor and 1tb SSD and 256 HD @BluebellFlora

Ah ok. That explains your previous post then.

apple-signature.png
  • Options
    I think it heard me, because it's back. The lag is back. Oh boy.
    So many sorcerers ~
  • Options
    It's back and it killed three of my vampire teens. It's just as bad, if not WORSE than it was before and it's driving me insane. I feel so hopeless, like no matter what I do, I'll never be free of this. I can't afford to make a new save for them every week. It takes too long and I don't like the base sims.
    It feels like no matter what I do, I'll never be able to enjoy this game.
    So many sorcerers ~
  • Options
    Did you make a back up saved game copy separate from the game? Try one more time. Start a new game, play for an hour or so to get it all set up correctly and then save it. Make a copy of that saved game and store it in a folder on your desktop for safe keeping. Then play as normal, save and make a 2nd copy of that game and store in your folder on your desktop. Hopefully, that will help and save the game from lagging.

Also, one other thing to try. Have you tried cleaning your memory? It was a trick we used to help play Sims 3. I do it now before I play Sims 3 and I have very few problems with my saves. Can you try that?
  • Options
    Did you make a back up saved game copy separate from the game? Try one more time. Start a new game, play for an hour or so to get it all set up correctly and then save it. Make a copy of that saved game and store it in a folder on your desktop for safe keeping. Then play as normal, save and make a 2nd copy of that game and store in your folder on your desktop. Hopefully, that will help and save the game from lagging.

Also, one other thing to try. Have you tried cleaning your memory? It was a trick we used to help play Sims 3. I do it now before I play Sims 3 and I have very few problems with my saves. Can you try that?

I did make a back up when I did it, but I didnt since then, and I can't go back to playing that. I've gained four entire sims since then. Are you suggesting to do it for every time I save? That sounds a bit...hard.

I haven't tried clearing memory, and I'm willing to try it, but I don't know how.

(sorry if some of this sounded salty, no matter how I worded it it came off slightly salty)
    So many sorcerers ~
  • Options
    No, you're fine. :) I know there is a way to manually clean the memory, but I use a couple of free apps called Free Memory and Clean Memory. You would run one of those before playing Sims. Let me know if this helps.
  • Options
    garapoesgarapoes Posts: 422 Member
    Your savegame is too big.
    English is not my first language so sorry if I make any mistakes!
  • Options
    garapoes wrote: »
    Your savegame is too big.

I reset it like a week ago. It shouldn't be too big -already-. I know that might be it, I just feel like...I cant reset it every week. It's just not doable. I need a better solution that that.
    So many sorcerers ~
  • Options
    I don't think your save is too big yet. Keep me posted on what happens and we'll figure out something. :)