Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

WCIF my Store Content?

Right, so I know that store content is in your purchase history on the Sims 3 site, but is it in one of the folders within The Sims 3 folders?

The reason I ask, is I want to make a few different Sims 3 folders (one for decorating/building, one for my LPs, one for just playing, etc) where I can have different settings and different content in them. The only thing that's holding me back is the fact that I may have to redownload all of my store content from the dreaded purchase history each and every time I create a new folder.

Is it in a DC Backup folder?

Tagging @ciane because I know you're savvy about the store!

Comments

• cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited April 2018
    You never need go into the purchase history! Save that as a last resort!
    Valgon has made threads and spreadsheets with direct links to almost everything. I included his data in my spreadsheet (with permission).
    So, if you use one of his direct links and you get a negative response, it's because that isn't the version you need. It doesn't hurt to try all of the links, if in doubt. I should have his info linked in my reinstall thread which is linked in my siggie.

That said, you probably saved all your downloads somewhere, right? So, even if you end up reinstalling to get the configuration you want; you don't need to redownload.

If you never deleted items out of your DCbackup folder, then, yes, EVERYTHING you installed through your launcher is backed up. The problem - it's all just a bunch of numbers which leave you guessing what's actually in them AND you really don't need anything hanging out in there. It's said that you need that only to ensure that your data will be transferred during uploads. I've had everything transfer fine without it. I think though that some things are tricky when the game sees them as cc. For example, some venues install with the cc tag instead of the store tag. (I have no idea why as sometimes they install as store icons for me and sometimes they don't - and yes, I bought them all - but maybe I installed from my PC rather than the store!) So, if it's not venue-related and it's not cc, I wouldn't keep it EXCEPT as a backup somewhere other than my sims 3 folder BECAUSE these files can be put in your mods/package folder directly if you can't get them to install sometime later down the road because of a different OS or game type (i.e., you had Digital Download, but now you've switched to disc or Steam versions rather than Origin).

That said, whenever you want to create a brand new Sims 3 folder for a specific purpose, you simply rename the old sims 3 folder (so it's a backup) and once a new game is launched, you can quickly adjust the settings and save a game. Then you copy in some of your old files. You can try to update the store content file first and see if it works. If it not, you can simply copy that folder or files.

To have one sims 3 folder for building, I like the empty worlds that Flabalki has done over on MTS. You can find completely empty or those with commercial lots in place. They load super fast.

I like to keep those that I have edited to remove parking spots and troublesome fencing in a saves folder, so I can quickly just copy that save into my sims 3 folder before loading. (If you start with all the same store items and/or cc, then the save is the only folder you need to copy over, unless you need a particular library folder or saved sim too.)

If you saved a copy of your pristine sims 3 folder (which is really just like a regenerated launch, but you've adjusted settings already) and then another after you installed all your store content. You have everything you need to get started. You should then add your cc to a COPY of the store content folder. So, You have three complete sims 3 folders in a backup - one totally pristine and unplayed, one with store content added, and one with cc. I do go a step further and have a version with all the unlocked stencils. I love the mod that lets me play with removing stencils as well (velocityGrass also at MTS).

Bottom line, you can save much more than you need and end up using up all your backup space OR you can know just which folders are key. By using the same setup for all my folders, I can just copy in my store folder and start a new build. When done, the build is exported from this clean folder (HOPEFULLY) that never had any other downloads added it.

For playing you'd want your store plus cc folder as a start and then just copy in the save you are playing at the time.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @ciane - thank you for coming back so quickly. I knew you'd be able to help.

So if I'm understanding correctly, all of my store content is in my DCBackUp folder? And would CC that I installed via the launcher be there too (just some CC patterns)?
    And yes my downloads are somewhere...just no idea where exactly :lol:
  • KelvinKelvin Posts: 6,899 Member
    edited April 2018
    aricarai wrote: »

Do you mean the installed store content in your game? Open the launcher and click on the 'download' tab and then choose a piece of store content you'd like to locate and it'll redirect you to the folder where they are placed.
    chicken-run-ginger-i-just-decided-i-dont-care-idc-gif-20619284.gif
    ._.
    Yes, but most importantly, it's in your DCCache folder. To see everything in each of those files, you can remove all the others and renumber the file to end with ) TEMPORARILY. Then the launcher has a better chance of showing you everything in that file. That's only if you want to see what's in each file. Removing anything via the launcher does NOT delete it from it your game, it merely hides it so you'll never find it again. Like the delete function of your computer. Unlike your computer, you can't go searching for it later to undelete it!

Now, in addition to the DCCache folder, you also need the library files, and world files. Depending on what you want to transfer over or save, looked in saved sims and/or outfits and any other folder where you might want to save something - videos or screenshots (though personally, you can move those out of the sims 3 folder without affecting your saves).
    edited April 2018
    Yes, the download files (that you can install from) all go initially into the downloads folder. If you keep those, you can reinstall from those files directly (if you still have the same setup as far as discs or digital download version are concerned, because the files do vary a bit).

BUT, you don't need to reinstall, if your files are all working correctly. You can just copy in the ContentPatch, DCCache, Library, InstalledWorlds, and WorldCache folders as well as the ccmerged file in the DCbackup folder.
    How do I know if my files are working correctly @ciane?
    ChocoCub wrote: »
    aricarai wrote: »

Do you mean the installed store content in your game? Open the launcher and click on the 'download' tab and then choose a piece of store content you'd like to locate and it'll redirect you to the folder where they are placed.

Oooh thank you @ChocoCub - I didn't know that :mrgreen:
    ciane wrote: »
    Yes, the download files (that you can install from) all go initially into the downloads folder. If you keep those, you can reinstall from those files directly (if you still have the same setup as far as discs or digital download version are concerned, because the files do vary a bit).

BUT, you don't need to reinstall, if your files are all working correctly. You can just copy in the ContentPatch, DCCache, Library, InstalledWorlds, and WorldCache folders as well as the ccmerged file in the DCbackup folder.

My ContentPatch folder has a folder in it called Download and it's empty.
    DCCache has 40 items in it
    Does that sound right?
    The contentPatch folder can have an empty download folder within it. That's okay. BUT you need to have a contentpatch.package file that is 7,976 in size (or close to that). When it first installs, it has separate files up to 07 (I think). They are what go into the DL folder. But, once installed, they aren't needed again.

If you have 40 dccache .ebc files, then you have a lot! I think I have 26, but I don't own everything and I don't install cc through my launcher (unless it's by mistake with a lot). You also probably have installed sims and lots into this folder. I keep mine free of DLs and place DLs into a copy.
    I don't have a contentpatch.package file in that folder @ciane. Uh-o?
    I'm so confused now. So let's say I wanted a completely vanilla game, brand new game, no CC just store content. We shall ignore that I have CC patterns installed via the launcher.

1. I put my current Sims 3 folder on my desktop or rename it
    2. I open the launcher and that should regenerate a new Sims 3 folder
    3. Which folders do I copy over for store content and worlds?

I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I'm patched to 1.69.
    That file is what lets you install the newer store files. You probably had it to install your stuff. As long as you have your stuff installed already, and it's working okay, you don't need to worry about it. You could rename your current sims 3 folder, then load a game, creating a new folder. Then save a game and then quit. Then, open your launcher and try to update the store - just the store! - not Origin. If successful, that will give you the contentpatch.package file. Then you can copy that file into your current sims 3 folder. Save the empty sims 3 folder if you like as a pristine backup. Try to copy other files into your new sims 3 folder and see how that works and what you might be missing.

Then rename the new sims 3 folder and rename your current one back again.
    ciane wrote: »
    That file is what lets you install the newer store files. You probably had it to install your stuff. As long as you have your stuff installed already, and it's working okay, you don't need to worry about it. You could rename your current sims 3 folder, then load a game, creating a new folder. Then save a game and then quit. Then, open your launcher and try to update the store - just the store! - not Origin. If successful, that will give you the contentpatch.package file. Then you can copy that file into your current sims 3 folder. Save the empty sims 3 folder if you like as a pristine backup. Try to copy other files into your new sims 3 folder and see how that works and what you might be missing.

Then rename the new sims 3 folder and rename your current one back again.

What do you mean by update the store @ciane?
    edited April 2018
    From the launcher, it will ask if you want to update the store, as opposed to your game. There was an earlier store update and then a second one. I'm not sure what they did, but any store content after that patch would not install unless you patched with the store patch.

Look here: https://www.thesims3.com/store/patches
    version2.2 is the latest store update

Again, if you don't need to reinstall, then, you don't need it. But, I'm not sure your store stuff will reinstall without it. So, if you are reinstalling, the launcher has a better chance of updating BEFORE you put anything in it.

Ah, here:
    To install this update, please start your game and use the “Downloads” tab in your Launcher. This Store update includes the following changes:

Updated appropriate clothing to be selectable as Outerwear when playing with The Sims 3 Seasons.
    Disabled random selection on some pieces of clothing so Sims won’t use them unless specifically directed to.
    Fixed an issue where users were not seeing the cake slice that came with the Happily Ever Frosted wedding cake in Monte Vista.
    Fixed an issue where users were missing several Create-A-Sim assets, including the La Dolce Vita Updo and Tuscan Hat from Monte Vista.
    I've had a new computer since the latest store patch but I never noticed it before. Strange @ciane.

All these files make my head spin. I thought it would just be a simple copy and paste thing as I thought my store content would be in a back up file. Nothing is ever simple with The Sims 3 eh :lol: I may just try to download from purchase history when I have the time and then I guess I'll have a clean install.
    A clean install is a good thing, but... reinstalling is a pain. You can just do a simple copy and paste and it will probably work.

The mods file has your mods and package forms of cc. So you only put that in the sims 3 folder you want cc in.

The world files install to worldcaches as well as dcCaches and the InstalledWorlds folder.

Venues and Sims create library files, so anything you can find in your bins are in library files as well.

If you saved an outfit or a sim in CAS, then that file goes into the respective folder as well.

And, of course, any saves drop into the saves folder.

Usually, you generate a new sims 3 folder and you copy over the DCcache folder for most of you installed stuff (through the launcher).
    The backups aren't important except for cc stuff you want to transfer with your uploads - so patterns!
    The world file needs to be there to show as an option when you want to play there. So, I think that is why it installs into extra folders as well.

It really is a copy and paste event as long as you know what you want to bring over.

I would NOT go into purchase history myself. It takes forever to load and it times out. Just use the regular store pages and follow my install guide. The spreadsheet I uploaded has every link provided and keeps you from dup installing.

Ask me any questions and I'll try not to tell you too much and confuse you.
    Thank you for all your help @ciane; I really appreciate it. I'm just really stupid when it comes to installing stuff. It's like my reading comprehension goes down to a four year old and I can't comprehend. This happens every time. I just need a step by step list and then I should get it.

I may have have a go at your spreadsheet with the links. :mrgreen:
    edited April 2018
    To create a new folder:
    1. Rename your old sims 3 folder.
    2. Launch the game and then go in and reset all your favorite options. Save and then, quit. (Two steps: save and then, quit. Not save and quit.)
    3. Open the launcher and go to the downloads tab to see if the store update will trigger. If it does, install it. If it doesn't, go to an old save that has a contentpatch.package file in it to copy in OR go to your "my page" and click on games, updates, store updates.
    4. Once you have the content patch, you are ready to reinstall OR copy/paste old files over.
    To reinstall: Go to "store install" in my siggie. It has everything you need to include spreadsheet and links. It avoids all duplicates.
    To copy/paste: Let's start at the top of your old sims folder.
    If you use collections, you'll want to copy and paste those over. Personally, I find them too much effort for the gain. You still end up searching through to find the folder you want.
    ContentPatch should be done already. There is only one file you need. There is a do not bug me until next patch file too, but really, there will not be another store patch, right?
    Current game isn't needed, but it is the data for the last save (which is also conveniently in your saves folder).
    Custom music is obviously your music files that you may have added. So, yeah, copy them over.
    DCBackup is a BACKUP of every file installed through the launcher to use for exporting. (These are only important to transfer cc.) THE ONLY IMPORTANT file in here, in my opinion is the ccmerged file, which makes your premium content work. However, these can go directly into your mods/packages files and you could then maybe weed out some EA files you don't like. Good luck knowing which file is what!
    DCCache .ebc files are EA content installed through the launcher. They begin at 0 and number up as they fill up.
    There are also .dbc files. These are for non-EA stuff you installed through your launcher, but sometimes, it's also venues (as your game might view that as an exchange download rather than store content). So, usually, this will be cc. I think missingdeps is for stuff you delete in the launcher that doesn't really delete. So deleting this file doesn't hurt. Basically, you'll copy over the whole DCCache folder unless you are wanting to weed out cc. THEN, MOVE out the .ebc files and load up launcher to see what's in those .dbc files.
    Still with me? If on a mac, NEVER delete caches! On a PC using windows, caches regenerate.
    Downloads is where all your downloads files initially go. You should keep these files somewhere so you don't have download them again BUT... you should keep them somewhere besides the sims 3 folder in archive. Your game doesn't need them AFTER you have installed them.
    Anything in your exports folder that you haven't uploaded, you may want. You might also want some of the files that you uploaded. AS with downloads, archive them outside your sims 3 folder. Your game will thank you for clearing out a bit more.
    My IGA Cache stays empty. Experts have not explained this. No one seems to know its purpose. It is safe to delete it. I think someone created it and then never used it.
    InstalledWorlds is what it says. You NEED these. Copy the folder intact unless you have worlds you downloaded and didn't like.
    Library is for anything you ever put in your bin to include venues. Like the DCBackup files, good luck with that numbering system! DateTime is your best guess for what they actually might be.
    Mods - you got this! There are the essential package folder and a file that allows your computer to read them (resource.cfg). You might also have an overrides folder that gives priority to anything in that folder over the other package folder. Copy whatever you want. Leave anything you don't really use behind.
    Videos and Screenshots - keep them if you like, but again, not in the sims 3 folder. Move them out where you don't have to load them.
    SavedOutfits is for anything you feel in love with while playing in CASt and saved. It you still want something, copy it over. Otherwise, let it go.
    Saves: if you are like me, you use "save as" to avoid game corruption. You end up with more saves at the end of a session than you need. So, get in the habit of deleting the older saves after you quit your game, but keep one backup! Copy over the saves you want to keep. BUT, here's a great idea: Copy in the save you want to play - and only the save you want to play - before loading your game. Keep all other saves, like your downloads and exports out of your sims 3 folder. I recommend keeping them in the EA folder close to your sims 3 folder. Or on your hard drive or cloud drive too for backup.
    sigsCache - this is data for EA about your system and login info. As they are cache files, they will regenerate if deleted. No need to copy over.
    thumbnails - these package files can be deleted and will regenerate. I find it a hassle to wait for everything to be regenerated when I've deleted them, so I tend to keep them.
    worldCaches - these again are caches. They will appear after you play any store world. The ones that come with EPs don't have them.
    Still there?
    the *cache.packages you know can be deleted periodically as they can get huge. Anything over 300,000 tends to start crashing my game. So, if I've been CASt crazy, I watch the compositor caches and delete after I've quit for the day.

If you have userpresets, then, you'll want to copy that file over. This is all those things you saved in CASt like unlocked stencils as well as just favorite object recolors.
    Thank you so much for that @ciane! That's SUPER helpful! I'll definitely be giving this a go <3
    Oh and apparently the store update download isn't working any more???

Here's a link to get that if you don't have it:
    http://simfileshare.net/download/462061/
    @ciane - I think I've done it :mrgreen:
    I've gone to my installed content on my launcher and it's showing store content, so I think that's worked. I'm headed into game to have a little looksee to make sure! Thank you so much for your help <3