Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How to use Outdoor Retreat and make it interesting?

2...Next

Comments

• imhappyimhappy Posts: 1,988 Member
    My sim, Johnny Zest Landgraab, was bitten by a vampire and lost his memory. He found himself alone, wandering around OR. Learned herbalism there, and came back. Started a hippie commune in that little Get to Work 4-lot area. He clones his herbs and sells them.

Meanwhile, his brother was happy to take advantage of the situation, by moving in with Johnny's wife, Summer Holiday, and getting her pregnant.
  • OxanaPihlajamaaOxanaPihlajamaa Posts: 153 Member
    I must say I love GF, it's a pretty forest, plus yeah, Vampires, Twilight memories... (I can hear my 13-year-old self fangirling.) Anyway, if you have GTW, you can catch all the bugs there are, and/or collect all the special herbs, and then you can set a shop selling those. :) Plus as was mentioned before, try to make potions, and you can even sell those. Or just make other sims drink it, whatever floats your boat. ;)
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    If you're a builder I tend to travel their more because I built my own Lake Houses and camp grounds.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I've done a lot of editing of Granite Falls.

I replaced the campground with a restaurant so my Sims wouldn't have to cook their own meals. I also replaced one of the cabins with a spa -- I use it for a romantic getaway for my couples. I also have a lot of easels scattered about for Paint by Reference so it's a good spot for an artist's retreat.

Other changes -- I put a pirate ship jungle gym and the climbing wall from Fitness Stuff so my kids have a place to play (also have monkey bars at my big "family" cabin as well as a toybox) and my Sims can work out if they want.

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    i like using the features of outdoor retreat for a homeless sim. You can have them live on a lot with just a tent, a woohoo bush, tarp shower and fire pit and cheat the rest of their money away. You can have them roast beetles(after a trip to granite falls to collect some) and fish over the fire for food or garden and have them eat the harvestable fruit or veggies. It’s a fun rags to riches challenge as well.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I've done a lot of editing of Granite Falls.

I replaced the campground with a restaurant so my Sims wouldn't have to cook their own meals. I also replaced one of the cabins with a spa -- I use it for a romantic getaway for my couples. I also have a lot of easels scattered about for Paint by Reference so it's a good spot for an artist's retreat.

Other changes -- I put a pirate ship jungle gym and the climbing wall from Fitness Stuff so my kids have a place to play (also have monkey bars at my big "family" cabin as well as a toybox) and my Sims can work out if they want.
    I put a cute woodsy diner in GF as well. My only downside is sims call and ask if my sim would like to go eat there when they aren’t even camping there. I wish they’d only use it if on vacation there but it’s still nice to have that there. I also did a pool with natural water on one of the lots.

The easels are a great idea I’m going to do that for sure!
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    imhappy wrote: »
    My sim, Johnny Zest Landgraab, was bitten by a vampire and lost his memory. He found himself alone, wandering around OR. Learned herbalism there, and came back. Started a hippie commune in that little Get to Work 4-lot area. He clones his herbs and sells them.

Meanwhile, his brother was happy to take advantage of the situation, by moving in with Johnny's wife, Summer Holiday, and getting her pregnant.

This sounds like a long-running storyline in a soap opera :o
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • ShaeShae Posts: 303 Member
    Get a serial killer mod and turn it into Faraway Camp or Camp Crystal Lake! :worried:
    Just a visually impaired gamer who enjoys taking ordinary Sims and making them extraordinary.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=WbRQP-PXDpA
  • FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    yeah, I downloaded some nice lots from the gallery and mostly use those. Honestly, the main thing I use Granite Falls for is honeymoons--since I downloaded this super sweet honeymoon cabin ;-P
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I use it as a honeymoon spot, family vacation when the kids are young or the spot where secret affairs are carried on. I have a spa and a restaurant there. My sims usually treat themselves to a few massages and a yoga session. They usually eat out at the restaurant and I added activities to the national park. At the national park I have playground items for the kids, hot tub for the adults, the rock climbing item, horseshoe, thinking about adding the basketball, stuff for the whole family. I thought about adding a bowling alley to the park area but it is not really a social activity but I still might.

It varies what I do with the sims based on what kind of vacation they are having. Secret affairs usually stay at the cabin. Honeymooners hit the spa and restaurant. Family hit the park and possibly the restaurant.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    The whole game is a bomb you are restricted from doing anything so how can it be fun you can't change any lots other then the ones that you use like Residential, or Commercial nothing outside of this boring. The Sims can't go to any destination other then what EA lets them into I feel like Communist China.
  • Lucy_HenleyLucy_Henley Posts: 2,960 Member
    I’ve only sent my Sims to Granite Falls a couple of times... and always sent them home again after a night. There’s bugger all to do in Granite Falls, it got so boring.
    Out of all the holiday-related packs, World Adventures for Sims 3 is the best by far. So much to do, all the quests, learning martial arts or nectar making, all the gems to collect, the worlds are huge. Bon Voyage is better than Outdoor Retreat, but not by a huge amount.
    I get that WA was a full expansion, and OR was just a game pack... still, it’d be good if there was a proper holiday expansion.
  • ToriWayne3ToriWayne3 Posts: 5 New Member
    How do you get to GF, just got it so curious how to get there. also would purchasing the stuff for the backyard be just as fun??
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    My personal opinion of Outdoor Retreat is that it's the most pointless addition to a Sims game ever. With the possible exception of the original Vacation expansion to Sims 1, which basically was just as boring, but much much buggier on top. It is somewhere between "Watching Paint Dry" and "Let Mosquitos Bite Me Because I Am Just That Bored" boring. It makes "My First Pet Stuff" look like a good idea.

The ONLY use I have had for it is to use it to befriend ghosts. But then you could just wait until Ghost Night at the bar...

Now, there are a few things you can do: You can use it to make a ton of money in the long run if you have a wood carver in the family. You can easily find and befriend ghosts. And you can harass that bear guy.

...That's about it, actually.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • JibartJibart Posts: 28 Member
    I'm currently filling it with Colonial / Frontier style houses. It fits the rugged outdoors feel.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    ToriWayne3 wrote: »
    How do you get to GF, just got it so curious how to get there. also would purchasing the stuff for the backyard be just as fun??

You could be asking from different angles but Granite Falls comes in Outdoor Retreat which is a Game Pack that you can purchase. You can get there by calling and sending your sims on vacation. Otherwise you just can't go unless another sim calls and invites you to meet them somewhere and that somewhere just happens to be some venue in GF. You aren't officially on vacation if that happens though so not everything is available.
    You can of course build there if you want to redo it .. you can access that through the map.
    egTcBMc.png
  • BK747BK747 Posts: 174 Member
    I don't visit Granite Falls very often because I don't think it adds a lot of gameplay, but the scenery is beautiful so I do visit on occasion. I have one sim that loves fishing, so I'll usually take them there on the weekend to visit their "cottage." I find it more enjoyable to fish at the lake than a pond in their home neighbourhood.
    BK747 wrote: »
    I don't visit Granite Falls very often because I don't think it adds a lot of gameplay, but the scenery is beautiful so I do visit on occasion. I have one sim that loves fishing, so I'll usually take them there on the weekend to visit their "cottage." I find it more enjoyable to fish at the lake than a pond in their home neighbourhood.

I've basically only used it for proposals (often not even staying the night, just going home when they got sleepy) and maybe to catch rare fish before Forgotten Hollow and Jungle Adventure was added.

Added to this... I think it is bad that they didn't account for pets and toddlers. That you have to go in and add food bowls and stuff manually.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Toddlers now have a base game portable bed (added in free). You can buy supplies for pets and toddlers at the vendor in OR now @Beardedgeek. Or you can of course go in and change your lots manually prior to sending the sims on vacation. Not sure how that isn't accounting for pets and toddlers. OR came out before toddlers did.
    egTcBMc.png
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Toddlers now have a base game portable bed (added in free). You can buy supplies for pets and toddlers at the vendor in OR now @Beardedgeek. Or you can of course go in and change your lots manually prior to sending the sims on vacation. Not sure how that isn't accounting for pets and toddlers. OR came out before toddlers did.

Well I guess I was wrong; I never used the vendor, he never had anything I wanted. Thanks.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited September 2018
    BK747 wrote: »

I've basically only used it for proposals (often not even staying the night, just going home when they got sleepy) and maybe to catch rare fish before Forgotten Hollow and Jungle Adventure was added.

Added to this... I think it is bad that they didn't account for pets and toddlers. That you have to go in and add food bowls and stuff manually.

You realize that OR was released well before both toddlers and Cats & Dogs? It would be impossible for them to account for something that didn't exist when the pack was released; by this point people have likely remodeled or replaced all the cabins. It's not that hard to go in on build mode and add in necessities like pet bowls, toddler beds and potty seats. I think all the pet beds can be added to personal inventory so you can bring along their favorite bed.

One thing to remember is it was the very first Game Pack ever -- they were still exploring what the limits were in terms of time and budget. It does pale a bit compared to newer GPs like Jungle Adventure, but for what it is I like -- we got a new aspiration and skill out of it at least.

I tend to use GF as an artist's retreat for my creative Sims (with the draggable easels it'll be even easier for my artists to make unique paintings); if we ever get laptops I'll send my writers there as well. I've already completed the gardening skill with my main generational save, but I may eventually have a Sim who pursues the herbalism skill so I'll be collecting the plants for his/her own garden. And I do want to finish the fishing collection and the insect collection so I might have my current family vacation in summer when I can be sure the waterways won't be frozen.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)